Advice regarding Jugg/Mara needed

Defecter

I have recently been given a game-time card and thought 'what the hell, let's give it a go again'. But after logging in on my level 60 Jugg, I found that I got utterly wrecked even though this is the new midbies. This in itself is not my problem, since it's usually just having to relearn the class. For that reason I decided to reroll a fresh lvl 1, because I don't mind seeing the story again anyway (been a while and leveling speed seems to have increased exponentially). I plan on leveling through story and PvP only. No side missions whatsoever, besides companion stuff.

However, upon browsing the forums and seeing the massive uproar/whining/complaining/flaming/etc about mercs and their apparant imbalance coupled with the seemingly retarded grind at 70 to get even starter gear for PvP, I was wondering if it's even worth it? From what I read, as a Jugg, Veng/Rage are about the squishiest spec in the game right now. For Maras I read conflicting things. Some claim them to be amazing, others say they melt like butter in a fight.

Now, as I dislike tanking in PvP, Immortal Jugg is out of the question. So, is it worth my time to invest said time into the game to relevel from lvl 1? If so, which AC fills the DPS role better? Or should I just use my game time to see the new story from KOTFE/KOTET and be done with it with the current state of PVP?

P.S.: Don't suggest rolling a merc. Not looking for FOTM, just don't want to be dead weight either :p

Marauders have hands down better cool downs for group fights than juggernauts. I am generally disinclined to statements like the following but I am so completely confident in it that I'll make an exception: anyone who suggests marauders are squishier than juggernauts simply does not know what they're talking about. They're the tankiest melee class, bar none (inb4 operatives spamming roll and casting heals on themselves being synonymous with tankiness).

That being said, as long as you have at least 1 decent healer DPS juggernaut's survivability problems are not that noticeable in your average warzone. So keep that in mind when choosing.

P.S. If you play any melee class that can't combat stealth and heal up those games where your team just doesn't have enough heals going out to keep up (or any at all) are going to be rough no matter your choice.

Edited by yellow_

Only way I get wrecked as a Mara is when I manage to piss off a healer and get the attention of the team. Undying rage is wonderful. So is the deflect. Cloak of Pain. Don't be afraid to run. When I get in trouble I stealth out. I get wrecked sometimes but overall I have been fairly successful with my Marauder. With a Merc, I just wait until their shield goes off and then start pounding on them. Good healers always help of course Edited by Shepird

This past week I have spend ~100 million (GTN) in an effort to gear my Juggernaut Tank for ranked. Full 240 + Augments and Stim of course. 136k health. And yet the performance is abysmal compared to Sin tanks, and you can still get tunneled* despite using all your DCDs in an appropriate manner. Stay away from Juggs if you have any intention to do ranked.

*Tunneled, but not globaled of course. Still really terrible.

Dps Jugs are not the worst, but they do good only in short interval fights. Their survivability tanks after using the DCDs, which are on long CD. Veng damage is close to irrelevant if the enemies have 2 competent healers.

Mara IMO is the strongest dps currently. They are not good lone wolves, but in organized setting they are destructive. Their DCDs are extremely strong anti focus and spammable. The burst damage for both Carnage and Fury is top tier.

TBH, unless you are playing group ranked, dps Jugs should be fine. Mara is definitely stronger though.

As someone who has played a jugg for years i can tell you they are currently useless

want to help your team? just run around taunting, interceding and slowing enemies with chilling scream.

Sent/Mara are soooo much better now it isn't even funny

I mean, a Sent can even 1v1 the God-class merc! A jugg can only dream of such lofty peaks.

B-Ware hates Juggs/Guardians

As someone who has played a jugg for years i can tell you they are currently useless

Oh, I don't know. (Granted, that match was a total c-fook and I took that screenie more to point out the sad state of my team's DPS than anything.)

Skanking is just fine in regs AFAICT. You definitely need to roll Immortal though. Veng and Rage are just at a disadvantage now. Ranked - listen to the ranked players, I have no idea.

Now, as I dislike tanking in PvP, Immortal Jugg is out of the question

I suggest you re-evaluate this opinion, or roll Mara (which are great! :)

Set aside associating Immortal with tanking; it is by far the best Jugg spec, even for DPS, in 5.0.

Edited by stoopicus

Kaiziri and Janglor wreck with Vengeance. But they are squishy. Unlike some juggs, they know when to duck out. I think thats the largest part of survivability is properly using DCDs, but also ducking back to your healers/LoS when you've got heavy focus. A healer puts out about 7-9k HPS so if 3 people are doing 3-5k DPS on your face, you WILL die in a damage spike at some point.

That and control. Juggs have tons of control. They can string together enough CC and interrupts to really pain enemies who use a cast bar.

Lastly, peels, no one is better. Find your healer and make him safe, throw a skank guard on him and if he's worth his buttons, he'll prioritize you on healing.

Edited by Wimbleton

I created a thread about how to survive on mara asking people some questions, however I gathered info of my own from hundreds of ranked matches. So here is what i've learned:

Fury is best spec. It gives extra cc immunity for 6 seconds every 30 seconds after you use force crush. It is incredible because globaling mara is easy and you can't pop anything while you're stunned.

Enable target's target pane, if you see there yourself try not to rush, and stay kinda behind cover near your team, so they could help you.

Saber ward cc immunity utility and cloak of pain your primary defense. Pop saber ward right before charging in, charge, cloak of pain, count 5 seconds and force crush. Get tech and force 99% def from obfuscate and use that after your cc immunities expire, then pop undying, after all that when you get to about 40% hp pop unleash and use camo. With all the nets and mercs and everything unleash is only used to go invis or when you're on full resolve.