Artifice Does not Crit.

Deresdod

Within hours of hitting 50, one run through the quests will net you:

A hilt better than artifice can create

A color crystal better than artifice can create

An enhancement equal to the best artifice can create

Also a mod equal to the best crafting can create

And 4 armoring patches better than crafting can create

A mod and enhancement one step below the best crafting can create.

After a week, you and two companions will be sporting items equal to or better than anything that can be crafted.

The market for crafting is only those people who are still leveling (which is itself greatly diminished by the other commendation vendors). Once the majority of players are 50, crafting will be obsolete.

And this affects "crits" in Artificing how?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can only do them once a day, then you are limited in how many commendations you can store up. This means that many players won't be able to make you entirely obsolete within hours of hitting 50, because you're assuming that they started dailies earlier than that; that they didn't spend any along the way; and that they didn't see something else that they wanted to spend commendations on first.

You're asking several different questions. Do you want a benefit to Artifice at any scenario, or only at max level? And what do you mean by benefit? Is selling something to someone a benefit? Or is it somehow only a benefit if you sell something that cannot be obtained in any other way? Are your credits somehow worth less because you got them from someone who was, in your words, "lazy?"

You said yourself that there is a market in selling to people who don't do dailies. If that's true, then you get credits for making stuff. Why exactly do you care why they want to buy the stuff you make if they in fact buy the stuff you make?

SIDE NOTE: Which vendors sell all the color crystals at 50? I want to check them out but am having trouble finding them. Serious question.

Level 50 Rank 23 Hilt requires 8 daily commendations. At least 8 dailies can all be done "within hours".

Rank 22 epic mods & enhancements can be received 1 per day. You can fully gear out in these within 1 week bypassing the artificer.

The point isn't that there aren't market opportunities to selling to people who don't know about the dailies and/or are too lazy to do them. My point is that crafted max level gear should be unattainable through "easy" methods. Alternatives to crafted max level gear should include PvP gear & RNG Hard Mode Flashpoints / Ops as long as the Artificer is given the ability to stay competitive by RE'ing rank 23 / 24 mods as they choose from this gear. This opens up the market for people to customize their gear however they see fit with Rank 23 / 24 mods without sacrificing the quality of their gear. An example would be a sage keeping rank 24 Alacrity enhancements even though they benefit more from the crit & surge rating afforded by rank 22 battle enhancements. Why should artificers who have access to the rank 23 & 24 enhancements be prevented from RE'ing them to offer more options into the market?

Assuming the goal of the daily quests is to give a viable alternative to "casual" players to gear up prior to running HM's and not having to run Battle of Ilum or FE until they get "drops" good enough to gear them out for HM's then a viable alternative in the game design would have been to give Rank 22 blue enhancements instead of Epics. This still gears up players sufficiently to begin HMs but keeps the Artificer relevant in the marketplace.

Providing easily attainable equivalent gear or better gear than what can be crafted immediately (or shortly thereafter) you hit max level is standing in the way of having a viable endgame profession.

My suggestion for fixing this is to lower the quality of daily rewards to blue, significantly raise the price of or completely remove the rank 23 armor, barrel, and hilt purchased rewards from the daily commendation vendors and replace them with blue, and open up the schematics to RE rank 23 & 24.

Major problem solved.

PS- The initial question from the OP was responded to on the first page. You cannot crit on hilts, enhancements, or color crystals. You can however crit on offhands (generators, focii, & shields). Yes, we hijacked this thread to complain about artificers being irrelevant in the market place.

Edited by CrowleyW

I think some stuff we make doesnt crit. Like crystals Enhancments hilts they are all Item emhancments and there for one you have lvled it to epic its as good as it gets cause its not a stand alone item you have to add it yo something to use it.

The shields on the other handat items so they can crit and its not a clear you crited on crafting you will know you crit when you add slots to the item. Fo shield I belive it is augement.

At lvl 400 i can assure you i ahve never crited I crystal hilt or enhancement but after grinding shield for both my SW and Bh tanks I assure you can with those. You need to use a crew with the highest affection and or bounus to your craft. IE if your a SW and take Synthweaving use Jaesa as she has bonus and is easy to get DS high affection.

For those that are wanting to roll Artifice please do not get discouraged from this post. There is money to be made in the profession if you work the proper areas. Focus on the off-hand products once you hit level 400. Review the RE article at the top of the forums and be prepared for some work.

Remember that each schematic (focus, shields, etc) can be RE into 3 blue schematics.

(1) Redoubt, (2) Overkill, and (3) Critical

Each of those blue schematics can then be RE into 5 Artifact level schematics.

(1) Accuracy (2) Alacrity (3) Presence (4) Surge (5) Shield

I have been working on these and once I produce the Artifact level schematic I will then make a few in hopes of getting the "critical craft" which adds the Augmentation slot that everyone is after ("Mastercraft" Title). These DO sell !! I have been selling these for 150k each, but be forewarned. Getting these schematics takes time and a LOT of resources.

The rest of the crafting issues with Artifice that people complain about are NOT solely an issue with our profession. ALL crafting professions (etc maybe Biochem) suffer with being able to contend with in-game drops/rewards. This has been addressed by the DEVS that they do acknowledge it and will be working to balance it out in the future.

Good Luck!!

Hello Everyone,

We recently had to remove several posts in this thread, so we thought we should remind everyone that regardless of the topic, it is part of our Rules of Conduct that:

• Never insult another member of the community.
  • Respect other community members, whether they agree with you or not.
  • Flag, don't fight. Use the "flag" feature to report posts to our Community Team if you see someone breaking the rules – don't respond to them!
  • Make constructive, on-topic posts that add to the discussion.

Thank you for understanding.

I am not exactly sure what you are asking.

If you are asking if there is a vendor in game that sells color crystals, not slotted into an existing item, then I am not aware of any.

Yes, that is what I was asking, although I'm sure people suspected that my question wasn't as serious as I implied. It was a not-so-subtle reminder that the commendation vendors don't make artifice obsolete because they don't sell one of the more popular items that artificers make, at least not in the variety that artifice crafters can make them.

Now on to some other points made by different posters (in no particular order):

1. Being able to get a lightsaber hilt within hours of hitting 50 is not the same as saying that artifice becomes obsolete at 50 because then no one wants anything you make. As noted above, people still need you for crystals, even if they don't want anything else. You also aren't obsolete until people have bought all the enhancements, relics and foci/generators they need too. Put another way, you aren't "useless" within hours of being at level 50 unless people can buy everything then, not just something, and if everyone could buy everything right away then there wouldn't be a need for daily quests. We'd just do them once and be done with it.

2. People have different upgrade needs when they hit 50, and they also have other things to spend commendations on. If I have to upgrade quite a few slots, it is more efficient to upgrade some slots with crafted items and others with commendations, rather than waiting for everything to be obtained by commendations for every slot. Eventually I will return to replace the crafted items with commendations if there are better alternatives, but by then I've spent the money, so it doesn't matter.

3. Some upgrades are even more inefficient to purchase with commendations, like companions. Even if I decide only to upgrade myself with commendation gear including somehow finding items that they don't sell, I'm not sure I'm going to want to keep grinding commendations just to outfit my companions in the absolute best gear. I would much rather just buy that stuff. Again, I'm spending money. It shouldn't matter to crafters that I'm buying stuff that isn't "the best" if I still want to buy it.

The point isn't that there aren't market opportunities to selling to people who don't know about the dailies and/or are too lazy to do them.

Well, if the argument is that the profession becomes "useless" at 50, then yes, that is part of the point. You have every right to want to market things to end-gamers (and there is a market for those people, even if it's not in hilts and enhancements) but some posts here confused the purported lack of one market segment with the complete uselessness of the profession in "any scenario."

Yes, that is what I was asking, although I'm sure people suspected that my question wasn't as serious as I implied. It was a not-so-subtle reminder that the commendation vendors don't make artifice obsolete because they don't sell one of the more popular items that artificers make, at least not in the variety that artifice crafters can make them.

Now on to some other points made by different posters (in no particular order):

1. Being able to get a lightsaber hilt within hours of hitting 50 is not the same as saying that artifice becomes obsolete at 50 because then no one wants anything you make. As noted above, people still need you for crystals, even if they don't want anything else. You also aren't obsolete until people have bought all the enhancements, relics and foci/generators they need too. Put another way, you aren't "useless" within hours of being at level 50 unless people can buy everything then, not just something, and if everyone could buy everything right away then there wouldn't be a need for daily quests. We'd just do them once and be done with it.

2. People have different upgrade needs when they hit 50, and they also have other things to spend commendations on. If I have to upgrade quite a few slots, it is more efficient to upgrade some slots with crafted items and others with commendations, rather than waiting for everything to be obtained by commendations for every slot. Eventually I will return to replace the crafted items with commendations if there are better alternatives, but by then I've spent the money, so it doesn't matter.

3. Some upgrades are even more inefficient to purchase with commendations, like companions. Even if I decide only to upgrade myself with commendation gear including somehow finding items that they don't sell, I'm not sure I'm going to want to keep grinding commendations just to outfit my companions in the absolute best gear. I would much rather just buy that stuff. Again, I'm spending money. It shouldn't matter to crafters that I'm buying stuff that isn't "the best" if I still want to buy it.

"Prioritization" is a matter of "what can I get today?" vs "what can I get tomorrow?" In one week of dailies you can get:

3 epic hilts/barrels

7 +power color crystals

20 epic armoring patches

7 epic enhancements

7 epic mods

7 blue enhancements

7 blue mods

For most slots, gearing yourself and a couple companions can be done VERY quickly. The only slots that take any saving up are ears and implants. Will people still buy enhancements? Are they really going to pay 75k for one (it costs me 50k+ worth of missions to get the gems), when they can get it with one daily? Maybe 6 months from now when someone has 1 billion credits on their main and they want to gear up an alt for raiding without doing dailies.

Right now, at 50, Artifice provides offhands and vanity crystals.

• 2 weeks later...
If you believe there are benefits to having 400 Artifice that can not be replicated and/or exceeded within hours of hitting level 50 then I'm not the one with the narrow view.

It's useless in all facets and needs to be fixed. The only money to be made is out of the laziness of others not running dailies not from having a superior product to be sold.

You've obviously never killed the belsavis world boss, farmed magenta crystals with your guild then sold them for around 600k each...

Easy to make 2-3 mil a day just by going back and forth from tatooine a few times then chain killing the ilum world boss with your guild.

Most profitable crew skill there is, you just have no idea how to use it to your advantage heh.

"Top Tier" meaning you've crafted the best things you could that will be replaced by the Daily commendation vendor's Hilt & Daily reward enhancements the same day you begin doing daily quests @ level 50 right?

Just clarifying... let's not kid ourselves into thinking you got any benefit from leveling to 400 Artificing... because you didn't. Just like the rest of us.

Enhancements. You get one per day from dailies and getting them from a guild artifice will be much faster if they already have it learned. thats why Im learning the purple mods for level 49 on my cybertech.

I don't understand all this non-sense about Artifice being useless at 50...

if you really think Artifice is useless at end-game then I suggest you actually try the profession out first...

I don't know what Artifice you guys are using but I am using the one that can create the BiS relics and the BiS lightsabers...

In fact I have... and they are great... Better then anything you can get even in nightmare mode Ops (assuming you pull the mods out of stuff for the lightsaber since its advantage is in the augment slot)

Plus we can craft the second best Crystal in the game, the magenta, with a little work....

Not to mention the crap ton of money I have made selling tier 22 enhancements on the GTN... 50k a pop, I sell about 6 a day...

Tl;dr : Learn to play before crying

• 4 weeks later...

u guys are completely missing the point. The problem is, currently there are no lvl 23-25 enchancement recipes in the game. These schematics were in beta, but were removed because i guess BW wants to throw em in later and pass them off as new items. The fact that an artificer isnt able to get these recipes through raids or Re engineering is dumb. It removes our ability to customise items how we see fit. The only way for us to do this now is to rip enhancements out of other pieces of gear which is lame, considering we should beable to make these enhancements if we have the schematics.

As said above there are some benefits to artifice, i.e. relics, magenta crystals etc. But both us and cybertech are severally gimped by the fact that mods and enhancements recipes do not drop. I dont know about u guys but im sick of seeing the same schematics drop every raid. As for "critting on artifice" it should be possible to mastercraft on enchancements, not for an augment slot but for improved stats, as i have seen on swtor spy and torhead, however these were either in beta or just data mined from somewhere.

• 2 months later...
Yep. shield Gens and foci are the only things that crit anymore. modifications such as color crystals do not.

The only crit u get from crystals is a chance for 2 from one make instead of just 1. its happen to me twice now

You must be republicans because there is no substance to your argument. Tell me how and why Artificing is a benefit in any (even one) scenario. If you can find a benefit of Artificing at max skill vs easily attainable replacements then I'll shut up. But for now sir "amirite", no you are not right.

You clearly know nothing of this game, artifice is plenty useful. Ive made tons of money of selling my crafts and not everyone in the game is level 50 so some ppl need 22 and even 15hilts. I have been able to provide me and my friends with plenty of useful gear that we still use across multiple characters. Artifice has provided tons for me sorry you just dont know how to do that for urself

I didn't read the answer so far, so for you, dear OP:

Artifice can and does indeed crit.

Equipable items like a fokus or shield will get an augment slot on a critical success.

Enhancements like crystals and hilts can crit as well, however rather than improvements on the crafted item, a critical success simply doubles the items crafted. So if you craft a hilt and get a critical success you get two for the materials of one.

Edited by Shardas

Doesn't crit?

Kidding me, right?

I've had plenty of crits (btw I'm Artifice 400 for quite a while). I was crafting some low-mid items for some guildmates and I frequently had crits which helped me get those purple schematics I wanted to make.

I think it may have something to do with the companion your using, I have been using my ship droid and he doesnt seem to crit worth a crap even tho i have his affections up around 5k, some of my others have crit when they are in the negative affection...WTH???? Anyone else notice this problem???

To the last 4 posters: this is a necro from over 2 months ago! Please let it die.

This. In 1.2 (a couple weeks ago now?) they fixed critting so when you crit on a mod, you get 2. Prior to that (as the first many posts noted) you never critted on mods.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't you crit on the re-engineering part? not the actual crafting?

You do crit on the actual crafting (either making an item with an augment slot or creating more then 1 item for only 1 items materials) and on missions to obtain materials(by getting rare materials only on critical success), the RE'ing you are just lucky enough that the random number generator hit the number needed to get you a new schematic not exactly a crit but i guess you could think of it like that

I am a 400 Artificer. Made 100's and 100's of items. I have NEVER gotten a Crit. My Bio friend crits 1 out of 7 tried.

Then you dont know where to look most propably. Everything artifice makes can crit. Slot items like lightsabers and offhands can get an augment slot and everything else you will receive as double in case of crit (like crystals, enhancements etc. You crafft one crystal, if it crits you get two crystals.)

Edited by Karkais

Then you dont know where to look most propably. Everything artifice makes can crit. Slot items like lightsabers and offhands can get an augment slot and everything else you will receive as double in case of crit (like crystals, enhancements etc. You crafft one crystal, if it crits you get two crystals.)

Ignorance abounds. Hint: read the date of the post you are replying to. Look up when changes to crits occured.

Edited by GnatB