[Guide] Augments and Augmentation Slots

Rishathra

I’m writing this guide as I see a lot of questions flashing around in general chat, and sometimes even in guild chat, about the use and crafting of these items. I’m only going to make one assumption, and that is that you already know what augments are.

Augment slots are a special, extra slot on equip able gear. It holds augments of varying grade, less than or equal to the grade of the augment slot. Augment slots can be purchased on the GTN, or crafted, but are not loot items. They are automatically added to certain types of craftable item when the crafter rolls a crit while creating the item. Since augments are item modifications, the items that don’t qualify are other item modifications, such as barrels and enhancements, which grant an additional item when a crit is rolled.

A special crafting material, “Augmentation Slot Component”, is required to create an Augmentation Slot Kit. You get the component by RE’ing any crafted premium (green) or better, non-modification item, i.e. generators and gloves, hence all crafting skills can create slot components. Basically, if it can be augmented it will yield a component when reverse engineered. This “component” is in addition to, and does not replace, the normal material you might receive from the RE process.

Slot level is determined by the level, or MK number, of the components used in assembly. They range from MK-1 to MK-6. The level of the component, and therefore the slot, is determined by the level of the item that was reverse engineered, as follows:

1. Up to level 16

2. 17 thru 24

3. 25 thru 32

4. 33 thru 40

5. 41 thru 46

6. 47+.

Augmentation slots can accept augments of up to the level of the slot. Therefore a MK-3 Augmentation Slot, when installed in a piece of gear, can accept an Augment of up to level 32, at level 33 it requires a MK-4 or better slot. I want to emphasize this is based on the levels of the slot and the augment, not the armor or the wearer.

To create an Augmentation Slot kit, you must be a Synthweaver, Armstech, or Armormech. You can obtain the schematics from your crew skills trainer. At this point they are just another item in your crafting list, and it takes 10 Augment Slot Components, along with other items based on crew skill type to create 1 Augment Slot Kit.

Installing the Kit, or upgrading an existing slot, now that you have one, requires the use of the previously useless Item Modification Table. Installing the Augmentation Slot Kit will consume the item and bind it to you and may only be installed on items of Premium (Green) or better quality. Right click on the table and it will open up the item modification window. Click the indicated area at the top of the window and select the item to be modified. At the bottom of the window will be 1 of 2 things, either a previously existing augmentation slot with a button to upgrade, or a button to add one. Pressing the button will bring up a dialog box, select the one to install from the list of available kits. You must also have sufficient credits “to cover the installation fee, which varies based on item level, quality, and equipment type” (quoted from the 1.3 patch notes). Once you are finished modifying the item, click the “Apply” button. At Item Modification Tables only, if there are more items to be modified, click the area with the item name to select the next item. Special note: Relics must be equipped during the installation procedure, all other items can be in inventory.

From here it’s just like any other modification slot, with the exception that it may require upgrading to accommodate higher level augments as you level.

The available augments in-game as of update 1.3 and the crew skills that can make them are as follows:

1. Armormech – Aim, Cunning, Shield, and Absorb

2. Armstech – Accuracy, Critical, Endurance, Power, and Surge

3. Synthweaving – Alacrity, Defense, Presence, Strength, and Willpower.

The schematics for augments are, to the best of my knowledge and as of update 1.3, only obtainable through Slicing(BoE) or the GTN.

Now that you have read the above, let me state that I’m far from perfect, so if you spot any errors or updates, please let me know so that I can correct and/or change this guide. BTW, I’m a noob to MMOs, so if I don’t use the appropriate terminology, or incorrectly use it, please have pity and grant me leniency. I’m also not an English Major (or Minor for that matter) so please restrict your comments and criticism of grammar and spelling to the people in your immediate vicinity, as they may care, but I don’t. :)

Edited by Rishathra
adding suggestions

You should add that the recipes for the augments themselves are only available through Slicing (I think)? I remember being confused for a long time wondering why my Armormech trainer had no recipes for augments. Would also be good to know if these recipes are BoE or BoP.

Augment schematics come from Rich Yield Sliced Tech Parts missions in particular, and only when you crit. The exception to this would be for Augment 22 schematics, which come from the learned Slicing Missions requiring skill 340 (afaik). You get 2 random schematics that correspond to the Grade of the mission as follows:

• Grade 1 -- Aug2-5
  • Grade 2 -- Aug6-9
  • Grade 3 -- Aug10-13
  • Grade 4 -- Aug14-17
  • Grade 5 -- Aug18-21
  • Grade 6 -- Aug22

These schematics are tradeable and can be sold on the GTN.

Like all item mods, if you want to figure out what combat level corresponds to the augment "tier", the formula for it would be (2 x tier) + 5. For an Augment 17, for example, the combat level would be (2 x 17) + 5 or 39.

Armormechs, armstechs and synthweavers all create different types of augments. Armormechs only have four different types; the other have five. Spread across all tiers from 2 to 22, that means there are 84 possible armormech schematics and 105 each for armstech and synthweaving. The follow lists show what the names of the different augments are by the crafting class that makes them, along with their primary (higher) and secondary (lower) stats [Augment 2 though Augment 6 only have primary stats]:

Armormech

• Absorb: Absorption/Endurance
  • Reflex: Aim/Endurance
  • Shield: Shield Chance/Endurance
  • Skill: Cunning/Endurance

Armstech

• Accuracy: Accuracy/Endurance
  • Critical: Critical/Endurance
  • Fortitude: Endurance/Power
  • Overkill: Power/Endurance
  • Surge: Surge/Endurance

Synthweaving

• Alacrity: Alacrity/Endurance
  • Command: Presence/Endurance
  • Might: Strength/Endurance
  • Redoubt: Defense/Power
  • Resolve: Willpower/Endurance

• 3 weeks later...

Wait, sorry if this is stupid but doesnt this mean that you need to have slicing to use augments without GTN? I thought that slicing was best with cybertech though, and apparantly you can only use augments with armortech, armstech, and synthweaving.

So now i have to create an alt and give it armor/arms/synth so i can make augment slots on my items? But that cant work because all my items that i wanna augment are BOP so i cant mail them to my alt.

Im confused, so to get augments on my items i would have needed to pick armortech and slicing? Does that mean since im cybertech i cant use augments and all the schematics i have from slicing are for nothing?

If this is just me being stupid and overreacting because i misunderstood sorry for wasting your time.

PS: i know my username is weird, its supposed to be cadethejedi, as in cade skywalker, and i wasnt expecting to have to post here anyway

• 2 months later...
Wait, sorry if this is stupid but doesnt this mean that you need to have slicing to use augments without GTN?

Anyone can use augments. It requires Slicing to "Discover" a schematic for free. Schematics are just another possible item obtained from slicing nodes and crew missions. Slicing missions can return a schematic for any crew skill, while other gathering mission types will return a schematic appropriate to the skill, i.e. treasure hunting will return an Artifice schematic and Scavenging will return a schematic for Armstech, Armormech, or Cybertech since those are the crafting skills relating to that particular gathering skill.

I thought that slicing was best with cybertech though, and apparantly you can only use augments with armortech, armstech, and synthweaving.

Slicing is a general crew skill that returns, among other things, schematics usable by any one of the crafting disciplines. Schematics for augments, and the material specific to blue and purple grade, can only be obtained via Slicing. Armormech, Armstech, and Synthweavers are the only crafters that can make augments and augment slot kits. The Slicing wiki page can be found here.

So now i have to create an alt and give it armor/arms/synth so i can make augment slots on my items? But that cant work because all my items that i wanna augment are BOP so i cant mail them to my alt.

Im confused, so to get augments on my items i would have needed to pick armortech and slicing? Does that mean since im cybertech i cant use augments and all the schematics i have from slicing are for nothing?

If this is just me being stupid and overreacting because i misunderstood sorry for wasting your time.

Yes, you may be overreacting due to a misunderstanding, but we've all done it at some time or other. I make augments and augment slot kits for my guild. Once an augment or slot kit is made, it is available for sale or trade and all are Bind on Equip (BoE).

A few notes on augment crafting:

Augment schematics drop from critical results on Sliced Tech Parts slicing missions. Lockbox slicing missions will not get you the schematics, nor will slicing resource nodes in the field. All augment schematics acquired this way are Premium (green) quality; to get better schematics requires Reverse Engineering.

The Premium (green) schematic, once learned, requires only Scavenging (for Armstech and Armormech) or Archaeology (for Synthweaving) materials. Premium augments can be reverse-engineered for a chance to learn the Prototype (blue) schematic, which additionally costs Prototype-quality Sliced Tech Parts. By reverse-engineering the Prototype augments, crafters can learn the Artifact (purple) schematic, which requires Artifact-quality Sliced Tech Parts.

Additionally, Sliced Tech Parts of the appropriate grade are needed to craft Mark 5 and 6 augment slots ONLY.

Lastly, Power (rather than Endurance) is the secondary stat on Shield, Absorb, Defense, AND Endurance augments.

Edited by venomlash

5. 41 thru 46

6. 47+.

I believe you stated data on slot level 47 incorrectly. Augment 21 is level 47 and requires mk-5 kits. Mk-2 thru Mk-6 augment kits increment every 8 character levels. So I think your data should read mk-5 kits create aug slots for levels 41-48... or something similar:

5. 41 thru 48

6. 49 thru 56

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Armormech

• Absorb: Absorption/Endurance
  • Reflex: Aim/Endurance
  • Shield: Shield Chance/Endurance
  • Skill: Cunning/Endurance

Absorb Augments are Absorption/Power and Shield Augments are Shield Chance/Power

Endurance does make more sense since they're used by tanks but that's the way it is... otherwise good addition to this thread

• 6 months later...
I'm just starting to venture into augmentation. My main has synthweaving maxed out. Now, I have patterns for a few different augments. It's the augmentation slots that I'm trying to figure out. I have found some on the GTN, but I'd like to be able to craft them. I've double checked, and there are no more patterns available from my crafting trainer. My understanding of the original post is that this is where I would get them from. Or is it reverse engineering?

When crafting an item you have a chance to crit the result. If you're crafting a piece of armor or anything else that your toon "wears" or can equip, that crit translates into an augmentation slot that you can then put an augment into.

If you have a 'wearable' item that doesn't already have an augmentation slot, you can add one by obtaining (by crafting or purchasing on the gtn) and augmentation kit (of varying levels) and applying it to the item via a modification table on fleet (usually the 'quadrant' immediately counter clockwise to the GTN).

• 4 weeks later...
This was very helpful, thanks

Can someone tell me which craft skill you need to make enhancements? (the one the does endurance) I have the ones for Mk's, Armour and Mods but not the last one to upgrade weapons and suits.

Enhancements (all that are available to craft) are made by Artifice. Artifice also makes Hilts/Dyes/Off-hands/Colour Crystals.

Ok, now have a character with Artifice as a skill, enhancement is not there so I am assuming this is a skill you gain later on as your Artifice skill improves. Can someone give me around what level I need to be to be able to make enhancements?

Also were do you get Rubat Crystal from in game? or any of the Artifice materials from, which skill allows you to search for them.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by DreadtechSavant

• 2 years later...