How do you keybind?

Slamuel

When you check out the Preferences menu (esc to Main Menu -> Preferences), there's a Key Bindings tab at the bottom of the window. Take a look through it, see what kind of general activities you can bind. For binding your abilities you'll be using the second, third, and fourth quickbar keybinds.

To bind, click the existing keybind slot or the "Not Bound" button next to the action you want, then press the key you want to use.

When you select keybinds, you can bind both a key (say, Y) and its meta combinations (shift+Y, ctrl+Y, alt+Y) all separately

Edited by bright_ephemera

When you check out the Preferences menu (esc to Main Menu -> Preferences), there's a Key Bindings tab at the bottom of the window. Take a look through it, see what kind of general activities you can bind. For binding your abilities you'll be using the second, third, and fourth quickbar keybinds.

To bind, click the existing keybind slot or the "Not Bound" button next to the action you want, then press the key you want to use.

When you select keybinds, you can bind both a key (say, Y) and its meta combinations (shift+Y, ctrl+Y, alt+Y) all separately

didnt see it, will look again.

Im haft a keyboard turner, keybinder and clicker. I use keybinds for some abilities and click for adrenals, i just dont think im ready to move with just the mouse.
If you're biochem and have re-usables I would suggest that you put the adrenals on a macro. Few are the times where you have to save an adrenal for a special occassion so it's better to just have it macro'ed to your main attack, that way you'll never forget to use it. Same applies to relics.

In the fleet pass, there is a thread giving advice on what to put where, etc, but how do you actually bind an ability to a key?

Lots of good advice in this thread ... here are my comments:

1. you do not have to put the fleet pass on a key/quickslot. you can simply use it from the abilities window (that is what I do)
  2. binding abilities to keys is a 2 step process: keys are bound to quickslots (described in other posts). Then abilities are places in quickslots (drag and drop). Either of these actions can change what ability or action a key maps to.

At higher levels you start to run out of quickslots for your abilities if you are not careful. I don't have anything in my quickslots that I don't use in combat (e.g. quick travel & fleetpass).

TANGENT: if you are turning using keybindings rather than mouse, switch to turning with your mouse. Having a hand on the mouse is essential for doing ranged AoEs ("area of affect" e.g. passing the huttball, bounty hunter death from above).