Recommendations For A Sin Tank

SidertickSowrd

Hello, fellow Inquisitors and TOR players!

My main is a Sin Tank, and is in full Black Hole MK-1 gear (I have not changed any of the mods, everything is exactly as it is right after you take it from the vendor). I am told I do a pretty good job at Sin Tanking, good enough that I wound up as main tank for my assigned raid group in my guild. As good as I apparently do, I believe that no matter how good you are, there's always room for improvement. I am currently experimenting with different kinds of augments (compatible with my class, of course), but due to how long it takes to get Advanced Neural Augmenters, I have only had experience with the Advanced Resolve Augment 22 in all of my pieces of gear.

I've been asking around general chat--and among my guild-mates--how I can improve as a Sin Tank. Through these endeavors, I've gotten mixed results. Some say that I should keep the Resolve Augments, because the extra DPS help me keep aggro. Others say I should invest in Redoubt Augments for the Defense Rating, because apparently Sin Tanks are "more evasion based" when compared to a Jug or PT (after all, the less likely you are to get hit, the less damage you take). And even more people say I should acquire Absorb and Shield Augments, because they prevent me from being hit in the first place.

All of these arguments have their advantages and disadvantages, as I realize all too well. With my experience with the Resolve Augments, I can personally say that it definitely is much easier to hold aggro with the extra DPS, but I feel as though I should focus more on survivability, as it is more practical for a tank to do. This leads me to believe that I definitely should invest in the other augments mentioned.

However, I am unsure which one would be the most efficient in terms keeping me alive. Dark Ward increases Shield Chance, so should I focus more on Absorption Rating in an attempt to max it out, or should I be worrying more about Defense Rating, since Sins can apparently get that stat higher than Jugs or PTs (a rumor I came across while asking around)?

I plan on experimenting with both regardless, but any advice I can find here would help me and save me some time, since the mats for augments are both expensive to buy and time consuming to find while Slicing.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Hello, fellow Inquisitors and TOR players!

My main is a Sin Tank, and is in full Black Hole MK-1 gear (I have not changed any of the mods, everything is exactly as it is right after you take it from the vendor). I am told I do a pretty good job at Sin Tanking, good enough that I wound up as main tank for my assigned raid group in my guild. As good as I apparently do, I believe that no matter how good you are, there's always room for improvement. I am currently experimenting with different kinds of augments (compatible with my class, of course), but due to how long it takes to get Advanced Neural Augmenters, I have only had experience with the Advanced Resolve Augment 22 in all of my pieces of gear.

I've been asking around general chat--and among my guild-mates--how I can improve as a Sin Tank. Through these endeavors, I've gotten mixed results. Some say that I should keep the Resolve Augments, because the extra DPS help me keep aggro. Others say I should invest in Redoubt Augments for the Defense Rating, because apparently Sin Tanks are "more evasion based" when compared to a Jug or PT (after all, the less likely you are to get hit, the less damage you take). And even more people say I should acquire Absorb and Shield Augments, because they prevent me from being hit in the first place.

All of these arguments have their advantages and disadvantages, as I realize all too well. With my experience with the Resolve Augments, I can personally say that it definitely is much easier to hold aggro with the extra DPS, but I feel as though I should focus more on survivability, as it is more practical for a tank to do. This leads me to believe that I definitely should invest in the other augments mentioned.

However, I am unsure which one would be the most efficient in terms keeping me alive. Dark Ward increases Shield Chance, so should I focus more on Absorption Rating in an attempt to max it out, or should I be worrying more about Defense Rating, since Sins can apparently get that stat higher than Jugs or PTs (a rumor I came across while asking around)?

I plan on experimenting with both regardless, but any advice I can find here would help me and save me some time, since the mats for augments are both expensive to buy and time consuming to find while Slicing.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

You are correct in assuming that resolve augments are crap for a tank. Your job is to hold threat and you dont need to out DPS others to hold threat.

I also understand your dilemma with defence chance and shield+absorb. The reason for this is the more defence tends to negate the shield(if X is defended then you only have 100-X to shield) and high shield complements high absorb.

My advise would be to have around 26-28% defence chance, atleast 45% shield chance and then try and get your absorb to 60%. with dark ward you will get an extra 20% shield(make sure you get set bonus, tanks cant afford to miss out on those). Also, get your pvp relics(I am experimenting with 113 def + 113 shield atm, but 2 113 defence is not too bad as well).

My stats atm(campaign without weapons and offhand, some augs not all) are 30% def, 48% shield and 55% absorb. I need to lower def and inc absorb but I am lazy and instead of doing it right away I am planning on doing it once I start getting dread guard gear )

Edited by sankalp

check this link

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/7825a5b2-ae52-4688-a616-a2722fec5479

fully buffed with stim with KW and all datacron and comb bonus stats will be around

health 24656

Armor Rating 6140.5

Damage Reduction 40.2456%

Defense Chance 28.0362%

Shield Chance 68.0501%

Shield Absorption 59.7755%

using the tank calculator posted in the forum it give me the best result i could fine :

Mean mitigation weapon/kinetic 78.4834%

dmg taken weapon/kinetic 860.664/sec

time to love weapon/kinetic 28.6476 sec

not sure if its the best stat but the calculator give me the best result i could fine using many stats sugested in the forums

link to the calculator

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=530635

Edited by alkhattabi

no, that will be 65% including DW

Ah, okay, thanks!

check this link

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/7825a5b2-ae52-4688-a616-a2722fec5479

fully buffed with stim with KW and all datacron and comb bonus stats will be around

health 24656

Armor Rating 6140.5

Damage Reduction 40.2456%

Defense Chance 28.0362%

Shield Chance 68.0501%

Shield Absorption 59.7755%

using the tank calculator posted in the forum it give me the best result i could fine :

Mean mitigation weapon/kinetic 78.4834%

dmg taken weapon/kinetic 860.664/sec

time to love weapon/kinetic 28.6476 sec

not sure if its the best stat but the calculator give me the best result i could fine using many stats sugested in the forums

link to the calculator

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=530635

Thank you for the link to the site! Now I can decide how to optimize my armor mods before I go out and buy them!

Unfortunately, I'm unable to get the calculator to work... it won't run on my PC for some reason.

• 3 weeks later...