Do people actually like deathmatch?

Joonbeams

I'm surprised, given how much people hate arenas, that people seem to like this. I actually like arenas but I loathe deathmatch and dread these pops - which are also long too (unlike Arenas). It seems so utterly pointless. It's so antithetical to what, during pre-release, GSF was about: strategy and objectives. Now it's just mine, mine, kill, drone, mine, kill, mine...Lemme see how many kills I can get. Nothing to defend, nothing to try to cap.

Anyway... I feel better now. Thanks.

/QQ

I like deathmatch more than dominion matches these days.

Dominion has become horribly boring since bombers were introduced.

idk most of my TDM look like Van Gogh's Starry Night with all the gunship railgun charging auras.

WTB dogfighting

I'm surprised, given how much people hate arenas, that people seem to like this. I actually like arenas but I loathe deathmatch and dread these pops - which are also long too (unlike Arenas). It seems so utterly pointless. It's so antithetical to what, during pre-release, GSF was about: strategy and objectives. Now it's just mine, mine, kill, drone, mine, kill, mine...Lemme see how many kills I can get. Nothing to defend, nothing to try to cap.

/QQ

I like TDM. It gives me a chance to use my Gunship without sitting at an objective all match being bored, and it gives you good practice at dogfighting and escaping with all ships. I wish objectives would pop more often, but I do still like TDM.

Also, power-ups are a big game-changer, and a damage power up can briefly turn you into death incarnate, no matter what ship you pick. That's so much fun.

Edited by Vid-szhite

I love TDM. The action isn't spread out across three zones and when you have lots of fighters engaged in one big furball the dogfights have more of an epic feel to them.

Plus bombers are less effective, easier to avoid if you want to, and function more as support (the role I like them in).

/QQ

If I get a lot of these in a row I will get bored with them, but the 12 v 12 matches are fun. The 8 v 8 ones go slow if evenly matched. I would actually like to see the total kill count needed reduced to 35 for 8 v 8.

It also gets frustrating when the opposing team hides in their capitol ship area.

I love deathmatches.

In domination mode, I often had to guard the satellite because most of my team was running around the map like idiots. Deathmatches allow me to run around the map like an idiot.

Last night while TAB cycling, I found that a gunship and two scouts were targeting me for some reason. For three minutes, I managed to evade them while swooping through fights and pew-pewing at whomever my team was attacking.

I ended the match with the most kills, most assists, and second most damage.

Twas great fun.

Edited by MCaliban

agreed.

there's something to be said for a good old fashioned furball

Yeah, Deathmatch is awesome as long as it doesn't devolve into 6+ gunships per side, then it just gets stupid. Matches w/ ~2 each gunships and bombers are about perfect imo - there are still 8 strikes/scouts per side, and dogfights are still possible.

Oh, and that Damage Overcharge needs to either get nerfed into the ground, or die in a fire. Or both. Right now it's just a stupidly OP "I Win" button, where you can get it and kill 5 people in 5 seconds. A 10-20% damage buff would be fine, but the current "turn damned near any laser into a 2-shot" is... not.

I'd say the Engine Overcharge is just about perfect balance-wise (you go out of your way to pick it up, but it refills your engines so you can get back in the fight), Weapon Overcharge is decent because it refills missiles (incredibly valuable for some ships), but Shield Overcharge could use a little buff (you end up wasting some of the buff duration just getting back to the fight)

If I am grouped I generally love TDM

If I am solo id rather play Dom

In TDM a well built team can turtle with gunships and bombers, with scouts n strikes traveling no less than a few km away from the nest before trying to bait people back into GS range. This tactic can be beat with a competent team working together, but in a solo match where not everyone is where they are supposed to be it can be intractable.

This can be done still in Dom as well, but at least there are three nodes to get points from and you can always switch nodes or focus a lightly defended node. With TDM when a team turtles it can be very very difficult to earn any points, especially if they get a lead and then all of them play conservatively.

So I guess my experience mirrors others, it can be fun or it can be a chore depending on who your respective teams are (ship makeup and pilot ability etc) in general I like TDM but I still prefer Dom (in almost any situation)

Edited by DamascusAdontise

I didn't think I would like it as much because I always favor objective-based play to the derp derp of just killing each other but GSF deathmatch is a lot of fun. Setting aside (1) gunship heaving matches and (2) matches where your scrubby teammates Rambo ahead and feed the enemy kills, death match mode can be just as strategic as domination because it really require ps your team to work together and stick together. Gunships provide long range cover. Bombers feel way more like the support role they should occupy. And fighters and scouts have plenty of dogfighting fur ball chances.

My favorite strategy is to provide repair drone support and perimeter support with mines and drones to a gunship or other bomber. You can build a nest right out in space and the asteroids provide lots of LOS terrain if you need it.

Team deathmatch adds to the variety in much the same way that arenas add to warzones. It gives me a chance to use my gunship more often, and I find myself dogfighting a lot there too.

I do, however, have two gripes:

1) Powerups take away all the sense of immersion for me, and turn it into an arcade game rather than a true integrated component to the whole of SWTOR. Then again, we have speed, healing, and damage powerups in all the ground warzones too, so maybe i'm not being fair.

2) I wish there were more game modes released before TDM, just like there were five warzone maps before they introduced arenas. Still, it was probably the easiest of all to design and breaks up the monotony.

/QQ

i stopped using my bomber in death matches altogether. it would always say i wasn't contributing when the thing could only boost for 5 seconds, has massive power draw, and it can barely turn at all.