Crit on deception?

JP_Legatus

Considering the following factors:

1. Deception has 3 out of 5 main attacks that get huge buffs to crit damage; maul gets 30%, shock and discharge both get 50%.

2. Our class also has recklessness, which means at some point you will have 3 on-demand crits from shock and discharge (or maybe 2, since shock can consume 2 charges).

3. Without any crit on our gear, our mainstat will still give us 10%, the base is 5% and the crit buff puts us at 20% crit minimum.

4. Crit has heavy DR starting at roughly 30%, but may still be viable at higher levels depending on other factors

So knowing this, how much crit would a deception player typically need to min-max his damage output? I've considered both running no crit and maxing crit out at like 40% or maybe even higher, and without solid numbers I just can't really settle on a "best" place for deception to be.

Right now I run 25% crit unbuffed. With the buff, I get 30% which is ok and last night dealt a beauty - 6.1k crit in pvp. I remember reading about the limit being 25% unbuffed for your burst and Maul to work, especially when your crit bonus pops up together with Maul.

I think anything more than that unbuffed and you wont deal much damage. Again, theres a lot of factors in pvp that can reduce your damage output such as AOEs, enemy using bubbles/shields, DOTS on yourself. Worth a play though just to see

It depends what your talking about. PVP crit at 30 is fine, stack power.

In PVE deception, I have spent weeks messing around with crit / power values. Since there is very little information on this topic its been an infuriating endeavor. My melee crit is around 40 percent right now, force around 39 - force power around 990 - ish. In PVE and long boss fights a high crit rating is needed, i think my crit value is around 540 or something and adding more crit barely makes my chance go up. DR.

I've said it a million times, we're the only class that gets no talent for crit / mainstat or accuracy. Even our mirror the sorc has mainstat and crit talents. WIthout these, we have to dump a lot of potential power mods for crit. Very annoying. If I hadnt decked out my PVE decep with almost all 63's by now, i'd just go back to my marauder until this was fixed.

was talking abt this with the guild sin dps yesterday.

I am a tank now but used to eb deception and I believe 40% crit is the way to go. the problem is not only in terms of crit vs power which all dps have. We need procs which only come from crits and therefore having 40% crit actually makes our dps go higher.

if you dont proc, you dps is going to suffer and this can be proven with parses from deception sins with remodding etc, but can be costly.

Yeah, last night i ran with around 40 crit chance and 991 force power.

On the dread guard boss for 16man HM TFB, i was on the top of MoX for a majority of the fight but dipped to around 2nd or 3rd, with our mara's being top. On the puzzle droid boss, I was easily top of the MoX charts for the three attempts we did until we downed it - ahead of our beastly Carnage mara and anni (and powertech). I am pretty geared for a sin decep DPS ATM and will be getting more 63's today, then someday i'll get the hazmat implants (no rush, they arent that great).

How many crit slots do you need to get to 40%? I tried it on Mr. Robot and it looks like essentially every single slot will need to be min/maxed for crit to achieve 40%.

I change it up often to try and see differences, but i usually run a war hero power relic and bm power relic, or swap out 1 for a BM crit / surge relic...my implants / earpiece are the typical accuracy / power. My belt / bracer mods are crit, and a couple enhancments are crit / accuracy to come close to the 110/100. But I also have all my 63 armor mods except 1, and mostly all 63 enhancements / mods (soon).