Trooper story good?

Mamm

I enjoyed the trooper story all the way through, but felt it did not go out on a high enough note, I felt like a bit more fanfare would have been in order, by the end of the story I was kind of a big deal and was kinda unceremoniously sent to the fleet to pick up the Ilum/Belsavis daily chains...

I have 50 mercenary and want create new char (don't want again do empire quests and fp's), i think about Vanguard or Gunsliner(smuggler) and can't choose.

Trooper have interesting story? No spoilers pls.

And what body type you prefer?)

Yes and no... It's really really good up to the ending on Corucant... Where you will most likely go ***! I never going to do a good deed for the republic ever again!!!!! And curse all politicians to hell...

Edited by Sunrock

I enjoyed the trooper story all the way through, but felt it did not go out on a high enough note

That's how I felt. A bit anti-climactic at the end, like they didn't have enough time to think about a better ending.

Incoming spoilers, so read at your own risk.

I really don't understand why people are surprised that the trooper story isn't more controversial. You're not playing a free agent, but a professional soldier who made Special Forces not only because they were capable, but also because they could be relied on to complete a mission without being distracted by personal adventures.

Also, you are by no means a mindless drone. If you go the Light route, you get to stand for the ideals of the Republic far more than your superiors, for whom the end often justifies the means. I know that I got yelled at by Garza after almost every important mission, and especially so at the end.

Regarding companions, I didn't find them similar or one-dimensional at all, although some of them are not fully developed.

Jorgan may be a classic soldier, but if you do his quest, you'll see that his loyalties are very humane and that he despises the actions of the secret services. He also isn't the best at following orders, but that's understandable considering how he was treated after the defection of the original Havoc Squad.

Dorne, while annoying as hell with her regulations, has had an unusual life and has to live with the fact that her family may be suffering because of her defection; her story, once you piece it together, is probably the most realistic. She's consistently hounded by suspicion, regardless of the fact that she's a good soldier and a good medic and hasn't given them any reason to think she is a secret Imperial agent. The happiness and relief she feels when she finally becomes a Republic citizen is actually very similar to how immigrants feel when they get permanent status.

Forex is there for comic relief - a murderous zealot robot. He's completely over the top and is likely there as a reminder why you shouldn't manufacture your soldiers.

Tanno Vik is a thug, completely unlike everyone else in the Squad. If I didn't need his affection maxed because of the miracles he works with UT (comes back with Mando Iron more often than not), I'd be slapping him around freely. I find it somewhat curious that a self-entitled jerk like him wouldn't be hitting on his attractive female boss at every chance, but they may have figured that some women would be annoyed (I'm a woman and I think it would have been hilarious if I could punch him without getting DS points).

Yuun is very interesting, but also very underdeveloped. I think it would have been nice if we could have gotten an actual quest from him.

My sense is that some of the companions who aren't fully sketched out may be developed in content patches or expansions. For now, it seems like they focused on the more human ones for now. I'd much prefer to get more content for these ones before we get new companions.

The trooper story is very average at best, and the companions you get are pretty bland. I wish I could airlock Dorne and Kitty (Aric) as they are easily some of the most boring and unlikable companions I've ever had in any Bioware game. I would certainly not play a trooper for the story/companions as there are far better options. That being said, the class is very enjoyable and ultimately that moved me to level a Vanguard first.

That's how I felt. A bit anti-climactic at the end, like they didn't have enough time to think about a better ending.

Incoming spoilers, so read at your own risk.

I really don't understand why people are surprised that the trooper story isn't more controversial. You're not playing a free agent, but a professional soldier who made Special Forces not only because they were capable, but also because they could be relied on to complete a mission without being distracted by personal adventures.

Also, you are by no means a mindless drone. If you go the Light route, you get to stand for the ideals of the Republic far more than your superiors, for whom the end often justifies the means. I know that I got yelled at by Garza after almost every important mission, and especially so at the end.

Regarding companions, I didn't find them similar or one-dimensional at all, although some of them are not fully developed.

Jorgan may be a classic soldier, but if you do his quest, you'll see that his loyalties are very humane and that he despises the actions of the secret services. He also isn't the best at following orders, but that's understandable considering how he was treated after the defection of the original Havoc Squad.

Dorne, while annoying as hell with her regulations, has had an unusual life and has to live with the fact that her family may be suffering because of her defection; her story, once you piece it together, is probably the most realistic. She's consistently hounded by suspicion, regardless of the fact that she's a good soldier and a good medic and hasn't given them any reason to think she is a secret Imperial agent. The happiness and relief she feels when she finally becomes a Republic citizen is actually very similar to how immigrants feel when they get permanent status.

Forex is there for comic relief - a murderous zealot robot. He's completely over the top and is likely there as a reminder why you shouldn't manufacture your soldiers.

Tanno Vik is a thug, completely unlike everyone else in the Squad. If I didn't need his affection maxed because of the miracles he works with UT (comes back with Mando Iron more often than not), I'd be slapping him around freely. I find it somewhat curious that a self-entitled jerk like him wouldn't be hitting on his attractive female boss at every chance, but they may have figured that some women would be annoyed (I'm a woman and I think it would have been hilarious if I could punch him without getting DS points).

Yuun is very interesting, but also very underdeveloped. I think it would have been nice if we could have gotten an actual quest from him.

My sense is that some of the companions who aren't fully sketched out may be developed in content patches or expansions. For now, it seems like they focused on the more human ones for now. I'd much prefer to get more content for these ones before we get new companions.

Completely agreed, nice review

The story was pretty boring overall. I enjoyed it, but I'm definitely looking forward to playing just about anything else which so far has been far more engaging and interesting. One way I look at it is now that I've played this class till the end of Chapter 3 the rest is bound to only be better.

Of course it's to be expected that it plays out very military like, you're a solider. Sure, a commando of the Republic's best but you're still doing what you're told with some freedoms here and there. The most memorable part was the last quest of Chapter 2, nothing else has given me the same ****** moment before though...maybe towards the end of Chapter 3 I guess? But certainly not so much as I had hoped.

To each his own, but I would personally not recommend the Trooper for story. It's a fun class, Vanguard and Commando alike. Perhaps I was a fool to think there would be a good story on this class, but then I picked it because Commandos get a big gun...a reason I likely share with many other players :)

I played an IA in Beta and so far all other class stories I have dabbled in have paled in comparison.

But, for me at least, Trooper has a good balance of story and gameplay. Playing a trooper is a blast (a very close 2nd for me to the Sith Warrior) as opposed to the IA's press-a-button-so-I-can-press-a-button style (which gets a bit tedious IMO).

And you can play a light side trooper and still lip off to your superiors. Im only in act 1 so I cannot speak about all the companions yet, but I was recently given the option to throw our first companion 'under the bus' as part of the trooper story. Not much room for a 'grey' playstyle in your choices, to enjoy it you have to be consistant in your dialog decisions.

I to like the previous post have dabbled between classes since beta and ended up sticking with the trooper the sith quests got rather tedious running on little errands to try and find some boring relic. I'm yet to properly go for the bounty so it's one of my next choices once I've completed the trooper. If you like action that will put you in some sticky situations make hard choices and blow stuff up yet still keep the story interesting try it. I'm mid 48 so the later quests before the end yes get a bit tedious however i think Bioware have judged the amount of quests for each planet just about right. If you want to see more of the planet do the bonuses.

From a personal note i love the armors common the ballistic belt and grenade sach over the shoulder with that shiny vanguard/commando helmet looks insane. If you decide you don't particularly like what you've heard without reading the spoilers go for the jedi.

A jedi companion wold help this class a lot.Why they choose to give non-jedi pc no jedi companions is beyond me.I mean duh...its star wars..Han had Luke ...right?

Because in case you missed the story at the end of Ord Mantell, YOU are the leader of Havoc Squad. Jedis are not republic troopers.

All your companions are the rest of Havoc Squad.

• 1 year later...
Because in case you missed the story at the end of Ord Mantell, YOU are the leader of Havoc Squad. Jedis are not republic troopers.

All your companions are the rest of Havoc Squad.

I think it would have been a better story if you had a Jedi companion. It would have spiced up your companion list a bit. I find Tanno the worst, as he's obnoxious and a horrible soldier. I he didn't blow crap up so well I'd kick him out of Havoc right away.

Back on topic, the story is pretty good IMO. The Gauntlet was awesome if you had Yuun come with you first. The whole campaign is a very well done if you chose the right dialogue. I'm an all lightside(except for the weird mission on courascant were accepting a bribe is a good thing... fix your crap bioware) and the story's great. Just began Act III today! :D

Other than the fact that not once do you yell "Big, stupid Jellyfish"...it's pretty good.

EDIT: And it is super nice not to have to go out of your way to gear your companions, I did not fully appreciate this till I played a smuggler.

Edited by straseed