Game Update 7.4.1c coming April 3 ×

Involuntarily flagged for PvP as a 32 by a 50 on a PvE server.

Deyjarl

so then,

because it has happened so in wow, it has to happen like that here too ?

are you aware that, this is NOT wow ? and wow is not 'the' game that everyone should be subservient to ?

again,

this is NOT wow, and things do not need to happen how they happen in wow.

why should i give a crap about how things were in wow ?

and, take your 'whining' termage back to wow pvp forums. this is not wow. and such wordage is not well received here. you may get reported.

I wish I could tell you, just how very many BW lunch meetings, the topic of "Well WoW did ~this~ so we should too." came up in.

The ugly truth is, this game was designed from the ground up to be a cash cow for EA much like WoW is for Acti-Bliz.

It's apparent that they are similar games, with the considerable difference of Customer Service Support *which is inexplicably terrible in SW:TOR*.

With that said, I agree fully that PVP should be left right out on a PVE server. Other than Warzones, and the like. In my opinion, in no game, should a PVE server EVER have an auto-flagging zone. Period. I appreciate that waters down the "We're in the middle of a war." atmosphere in the game, but I'm not paying $15 a month to feel like I'm in a war. I'm paying, and playing, to relax at the end of a stressful day at work, or because I simply need a break. I'm doing so because I want to play a game where I can mindlessly do my own thing for a few hours without having to worry about the wife, or kids, or pets, or anything else in the world.

PVP'ers aren't bad people, I'm not saying that at all. Even I enjoy some periodically. However, balancing the PVP/PVE aspect in WoW brought about Reslience. A stat that was great for the PVP'ers but to everyone else was a message of "Congrats, now you'll never win another gank or be a realistic opponent in a Battleground." It was this stat that drove me to eventually cancelling my account. I don't have the time to spend grinding said gear, nor the inclination. However, if something isn't done, SWTOR will more than likely end up taking the same path.

I hope certain developers will see my post, and think about what I'm saying. Perhaps discuss this issue instead of what WoW did at the next meeting.

Edited by Tewbacco

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol! some Republic players tried to do this to me on Hoth the other day. I was in a cave, and noticed them. As i sent Khem in to attack (im a heal specced sorc) the knight started running around the npc (i think he was waiting for an aoe). I simply put Khem on passive, and healed him why the NPC took shots at him with his blaster. 5 seconds later they went away :)

True story, happened to me on Ord Mantell two days ago.

I was playing my level 32 Sentinel. Obviously she is way over level for the zone. But earlier in week my guild had run a "datacron hunt" and on a lower level alt, I had found all the datacrons on OM with them. So I went back with my Jedi to get the datacrons as well -- why not since I knew where they all were, right?

So here I was on OM, and I saw a guy who was PVP flagged at level 7. I noticed him and wondered why he was PVP flagged as a level 7 on a planet where the other faction can't even go... but I shrugged it off and went out looking for datacrons.

About 10 minutes later I see the poor little PVP nooblet out in the world... getting his undercarriage handed to him. He apparently accidentally aggroed an elite and a couple of strongs all at once, and they were pretty well pounding him.

Now under normal circumstances I'd have gone in there and helped him... a quick Jedi Leap and AOE would have doomed those level 8 mobs from a 32 Sentinel. I could probably have saved his life. BUT... Would the AOE have damaged him? He's the same faction so probably not, but he's flagged. What if...? Well I hesitated, not sure what to do, not wanting to be flagged. And so he died.

Then I considered rezzing him... but again, he's flagged. I wasn't sure but I thought it would flag me. So I didn't rez him... didn't help him. I just left him there to die, and left him dead, and moved on.

This is the kind of behavior Bioware's involuntary flagging mechanics encourages in people who don't want to PVP. They've turned me from a good Samaritan sort into a "mind your own business and keep your head down" sort.

This is not what I want from an MMO... which is why I play on a PVE server. So... I am glad they are looking into this, but they also need to CHANGE it. Take the doubt away so I can go back to helping people.

Edited by Chessack

• 2 weeks later...
Someone got me as well, AOE and boom... Unfortunately it seems that I can't turn of the flag???? Waiting an hour in a cantina after typing /pvp (like mentioned in the help) should've done the trick I guess??? :mad:

Nope you just manually flagged yourself and must retype /pvp and look for the correct message.

They are going to fix this for PVE servers, better sooner than later though...it's an exploit after all.

Hi everyone,

I wanted to let you all know that the development team is aware of this issue and is currently investigating different solutions for it. Your feedback is important and we want everyone to be able to have an enjoyable experience. We'll definitely keep you posted with the latest information on this.

Thank you

From here ---> clicky

True story, happened to me on Ord Mantell two days ago.

I was playing my level 32 Sentinel. Obviously she is way over level for the zone. But earlier in week my guild had run a "datacron hunt" and on a lower level alt, I had found all the datacrons on OM with them. So I went back with my Jedi to get the datacrons as well -- why not since I knew where they all were, right?

So here I was on OM, and I saw a guy who was PVP flagged at level 7. I noticed him and wondered why he was PVP flagged as a level 7 on a planet where the other faction can't even go... but I shrugged it off and went out looking for datacrons.

About 10 minutes later I see the poor little PVP nooblet out in the world... getting his undercarriage handed to him. He apparently accidentally aggroed an elite and a couple of strongs all at once, and they were pretty well pounding him.

Now under normal circumstances I'd have gone in there and helped him... a quick Jedi Leap and AOE would have doomed those level 8 mobs from a 32 Sentinel. I could probably have saved his life. BUT... Would the AOE have damaged him? He's the same faction so probably not, but he's flagged. What if...? Well I hesitated, not sure what to do, not wanting to be flagged. And so he died.

Then I considered rezzing him... but again, he's flagged. I wasn't sure but I thought it would flag me. So I didn't rez him... didn't help him. I just left him there to die, and left him dead, and moved on.

This is the kind of behavior Bioware's involuntary flagging mechanics encourages in people who don't want to PVP. They've turned me from a good Samaritan sort into a "mind your own business and keep your head down" sort.

This is not what I want from an MMO... which is why I play on a PVE server. So... I am glad they are looking into this, but they also need to CHANGE it. Take the doubt away so I can go back to helping people.

A trick some people do to get people to flag is...bait them, so don't feel too bad about his supposed plight. I wouldn't have done much more than tell him he should go to a planet he belongs on for leveling.

Sorry for the bump, but this stuff still goes on. Had it happen to me this weekend on Tatooine by a level 50 Sith player. He hung around me while he was flagged, and I made note to double-check everything I was attacking, using single-target attacks, and I had Elara out, so she definitely doesn't have any AoEs at my level (31 - 33ish.) He hung around, did "something" to one of the mobs in the group I was fighting but didn't engage yet, and apparently Elara ran off and attacked it, thus flagging me for PvP. I teleported right out of there, all the way back to Anchorhead - on the opposite side of the planet. So yeah, five minutes waiting for my flag to go away, plus another ten minutes or so of using a speeder, then using my personal speeder to get back to the Czerka ruins in the west, because of some douche whose name I didn't catch.

I hope whatever "fix" they're working on comes sooner rather than later, maybe having one mob of a group flag the whole group as yours to prevent this sort of thing from happening in the future. I mean, I'm on a PvE server because if I do want to PvP, it's on my terms - NOT because someone wanted to get his rocks off by killing a low-level player.

Sorry for the bump, but this stuff still goes on. Had it happen to me this weekend on Tatooine by a level 50 Sith player. He hung around me while he was flagged, and I made note to double-check everything I was attacking, using single-target attacks, and I had Elara out, so she definitely doesn't have any AoEs at my level (31 - 33ish.) He hung around, did "something" to one of the mobs in the group I was fighting but didn't engage yet, and apparently Elara ran off and attacked it, thus flagging me for PvP. I teleported right out of there, all the way back to Anchorhead - on the opposite side of the planet. So yeah, five minutes waiting for my flag to go away, plus another ten minutes or so of using a speeder, then using my personal speeder to get back to the Czerka ruins in the west, because of some douche whose name I didn't catch.

I hope whatever "fix" they're working on comes sooner rather than later, maybe having one mob of a group flag the whole group as yours to prevent this sort of thing from happening in the future. I mean, I'm on a PvE server because if I do want to PvP, it's on my terms - NOT because someone wanted to get his rocks off by killing a low-level player.

If he hits any mob that you have already engaged and then you or your companion hits that mob which is still red to you, you're flagged. This and the AoE thing are the two known ways to force flag you.

You should report him for harassment in game as well.

Edited by HanoverFist

If he hits a mob that you have engaged and then if you or your companion hits that mob which is still red to you, you're flagged. This and the AoE thing are the two known ways to force flag you.

You should report him for harassment in game as well.

I ran back to try to find him there, but he must have bolted. Which really sucks, but whatever. Figured if I nicely asked an Empire player if they could tell me if any 50's were on the planet they'd probably tell me to kiss off, so I didn't even bother that route. Still, one jerk isn't representative of the whole, and I still helped a few low-level non-flagged Empire guys out when they were in trouble in the area.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like they fixed it with today's (2/22/12) patch:

1.1.4 Patch Notes — 2/22/2012

General

Using abilities with indirect targeting (such as area of effect abilities) will no longer cause players to be flagged for PvP if a PvP-flagged player from the opposing faction is within the ability's range, and the ability will have no effect on the PvP-flagged player.

Yes one down.

But still no word on the direct attack version of forced flag exploit.

I'm really glad they fixed the AOE flag problem on PVE servers. But, what is the "direct attack version" of the forced flag exploit? I never heard of that one, and I would like to know what it is so I can either try to avoid it, or report someone if they do it to me.

I'm really glad they fixed the AOE flag problem on PVE servers. But, what is the "direct attack version" of the forced flag exploit? I never heard of that one, and I would like to know what it is so I can either try to avoid it, or report someone if they do it to me.

They attack any mob that you have already aggroed/engaged, if you or your companion then hit that mob your flagged.

Edited by HanoverFist

i mean, i understand why this shouldn't happen, and i don't agree with what this player did, but why, oh why, would you choose to teleport across the map like this? are you that afraid of dying? hell, you probably could have taken him anyway. worse case is you die, and are teleported to the closest medbay. that's a much more desirable result than wasting a fast travel across the planet.

i suppose this is fixed now anyway, but this just struck me as really odd.

i mean, i understand why this shouldn't happen, and i don't agree with what this player did, but why, oh why, would you choose to teleport across the map like this? are you that afraid of dying? hell, you probably could have taken him anyway. worse case is you die, and are teleported to the closest medbay. that's a much more desirable result than wasting a fast travel across the planet.

i suppose this is fixed now anyway, but this just struck me as really odd.

The problem is that these griefers who did this usually were around level 50, and doing it to people who were far lower, basically making it impossible for them to do quests in an area. Dying and teleporting to the nearest medbay didn't really mean anything when that high-level griefer just kept hanging around the quest area anyway, stealthed and waiting for someone to use an AOE ability so he could force-flag and gank them. So yeah, this is definitely a much-needed fix.

• 1 year later...
These exploits are still not fixed!

My group were involuntary flagged and ganked doing dailies on Oricon earlier today :( has anyone heard anything from the Devs since 2012 on this issue?

Holy necro batman...It's fixed enough so it rarely happens...so just deal with it and move along...and that's all I am going to say about this.

The problem is that these griefers who did this usually were around level 50, and doing it to people who were far lower, basically making it impossible for them to do quests in an area. Dying and teleporting to the nearest medbay didn't really mean anything when that high-level griefer just kept hanging around the quest area anyway, stealthed and waiting for someone to use an AOE ability so he could force-flag and gank them. So yeah, this is definitely a much-needed fix.

The joke's on that level 50 when the level 32 brings a pair of 78 geared level 55's to watch him. Ah, yes, the benefit of having a guild.....

This highlights just how little the TOR devs know what they are doing. PvP should not be an option of any kind on the PvE servers. Not even sparring or dueling. PvP should be 100% restricted to the servers dedicated to PvP. PvE players choose a PvE server because they don't want to play with that ganking crap.

More BioWare/EA/Lucasarts fail.

Lolololol

So many people have no idea what camping and griefing is.

This stuff is child's play compared to EVE or old school SWG. I remember the days of swg when there were no vehicles and you had to do a corpse run to get your stuff back. Or even after they changed it so that you cloned with you stuff but could only clone to the closest facility. You couldn't save your clone data till much later. Talk about camping....

We'd take over other guilds cities by clone camping them. Your only recourse was to log off. There was no such thing as a pve vs pvp server.

Even ganking lowbies at crossroads in WoW was a lot of fun. On a good server it draws players out to retake lost territory resulting in some of the best pvp memories you could have. On a bad server everyone ignores it till the gankers get bored in a few min and leave.

PvP is as much a part of this game as pvp. Getting ganked once isn't griefing. It's a minor inconvenience. Just rez to your closest med center and move on. The amount of rage towards these rare occasions is laughable.

Otherwise. Nice necro.

Edited by Telaan

The joke's on that level 50 when the level 32 brings a pair of 78 geared level 55's to watch him. Ah, yes, the benefit of having a guild.....

I'd actually want to see that. Level 50 ganking lowbies and doesn't know that he is going to be killed soon by two level 55s. :D

Edited by Halinalle