Same sex romance.

Cfullard

The funniest part of all this is that I'm sure that 90% of the people asking for same-sex romances are not homosexual at all.

Most of them are guys who just fantasize on seeing lesbian sex scenes. A lot of people I know or see on forums who played same-sex romances in ME or Dragon age are heterosexuals...

I understand that we add same-sex content for homosexuals because it would be fair for them, but adding that content for heterosexuals just just fantasize on the thing... well... go and buy a magazine or something... and stop screaming and making all this fuzz about that, pretending it's to defend to rights of the homosexuals.

(I'm not targeting anyone in particular here in this thread).

Is it a problem that heterosexuals wants same-sex romances too? And how do you know it's mostly guys who wants to fantasize about lesbian sex? (There's a hidden lesbian sex-scene that will be added that I haven't heard of? Is it unlocked by turning up your PC's brightness during the black-out or something?)

As Punkre said in an earlier post, people play games for different reasons. In SWTOR I play through the stories of fictional character I created, and sometimes those characters are hetero-, bi- or homosexual, maybe a-sexual. I don't do it because I want to fantasize about lesbian/gay action but because I made that particular character like that.

I'm glad we get same-sex options added later on and if it also gives bi- and homosexuals the option to play a romance they can/better identify with then it's a win-win situation IMO. :D

Edited by dirtsa

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer using female toons in video games. Being a heterosexual male, I find women more attractive than men, so if I'm going to be hearing a voice over and over again and looking at a pixelated *** for hours, I'd rather it be female.

I enjoy romance plot lines in games and I prefer to romance female characters. So, I RP as a lesbian because I'm straight.

Go figure.

Anyhow, it's good to learn that there's no lesbian romances in the game - it means I'll play through with male toons, like I did in the original KOTOR. I can't say I'm happy about it, and not being able to use female toons might well mean I'll drop the game after a few months, but I understand it's probably a LFL or EA thing and bear no malice against BioWare.

Is it a problem that heterosexuals wants same-sex romances too? And how do you know it's mostly guys who wants to fantasize about lesbian sex? (There's a hidden lesbian sex-scene that will be added that I haven't heard of? Is it unlocked by turning up your PC's brightness during the black-out or something?)

As Punkre said in an earlier post, people play games for different reasons. In SWTOR I play through the stories of fictional character I created, and sometimes those characters are hetero-, bi- or homosexual, maybe a-sexual. I don't do it because I want to fantasize about lesbian/gay action but because I made that particular character like that.

I'm glad we get same-sex options added later on and if it also gives bi- and homosexuals the option to play a romance they can/better identify with then it's a win-win situation IMO. :D

+1

Evolvana: Some of my characters are straight, some are not. So far, my Jedi Knight and my Smuggler are straight, but my Bounty Hunter just isn't. It has nothing to do with my own personal gratification (or orientation, for that matter). Some of us like to actually use our imagination and make varied characters with all sorts of different traits and personalities. Just because you're too homophobic, immature, or insecure to be able to do that yourself without tittering or fantasizing doesn't mean everyone else is.

Why is this less acceptable than them fantasizing about the heterosexual content?

This thread bothers me so much. On one hand you have people equating homosexuality with sex itself, as if gay people are somehow an emotional subspecies who can't possibly have any interest in romance beyond the bedroom. Then on the other hand, you have people acting like the slightest glimpse of a gay romance option would cause them severe emotional distress, and that romance isn't that important anyways so we should all just be happy with the boring stock choices.

This game pushes story as one of its main appeals, and what story on such a grand scale doesn't involve some sort of romantic subplot? You get to choose everything about your character, you get to choose your dialog options, so what the hell is so wrong with choosing who you romance?

All I want is to have a romance I can relate to. Straight people never think of this because literally everything caters to you. Imagine if every romance in every book, movie, game, or whatever was between two dudes. How would you feel? That's exactly how I feel.

So many posts in this thread I wish I could just quote and +1. But I'm guessing that would get old pretty fast. So I'll limit it to just these two. :)

Edited by SirOccam

I love this:

Torture? Perfectly fine for my children.

Beheading? Totally fine.

One night stands with strange members of the opposite sex? Kosher.

Thievery? Totally legit.

Genocide? Sure

Extortion? Yep!

Same Sex Relations? MY CHILDREN DO NOT NEED TO BE CONFUSED BY THIS!

*applause*

See, what actually bugs me is that the relationship options pretty much leave out chastity. I skip most dialogue anyway, but I would like the option to have a romance without sex, maybe even a romance that leads to a story-line marriage or something.

I think it would be a good contrast between the base, emotionless relationships encouraged by sleeping around in game that one can participate in.

There ought to be some story-line end to the romance option. Like marriage, breakup etc... Without an end goal like that, what is the point of it?

See, what actually bugs me is that the relationship options pretty much leave out chastity. I skip most dialogue anyway, but I would like the option to have a romance without sex, maybe even a romance that leads to a story-line marriage or something.

I think it would be a good contrast between the base, emotionless relationships encouraged by sleeping around in game that one can participate in.

There ought to be some story-line end to the romance option. Like marriage, breakup etc... Without an end goal like that, what is the point of it?

There is marriages if you take them that far, and you can break up with them. The sex is a step along the way to that end.

There is marriages if you take them that far, and you can break up with them. The sex is a step along the way to that end.

Ok... But I think my point is, I'd rather avoid that step altogether until the marriage part of the story. Call me old-fashioned but that is how I am, while I don't believe in living in fantasy, but I do try to impose my personality on my character, so I try to make decisions I would make in real life.

It's crazy to see how people can accuse others to be homophobic with no reason. Did I say anything homophobic? I just said that most of the people asking for same-sex romance are heterosexuals (they can fantasize on anything they want, that's not wrong). That's all. It's not about homosexuals at all.

>Punkre, SirOccam: As I gladly played to Mass Effect 1 and 2, and Dragon Age 1 and 2, games including same-sex romances, I have absolutly no problem with that kind of "couple". I just don't care. Personally I'm heterosexual and I'm not attracted by other girls so I wouldn't make such romance with my characters, but I can totally understand that guys (and girls yes of course) want to do something else for a change.

I was just talking about a lot of people I see (not especially in this thread) asking for same-sex romances with arguments like "it's to be fair with homosexuals" "think about the homosexual community", when in fact, most of them don't care for homosexuals at all. They should just admit it's for themselves and be honest.

Personally I would have nothing against same-sex romances in SWTOR, if they include new characters. I'm for diversity.

Edited by Evolvana

Ok... But I think my point is, I'd rather avoid that step altogether until the marriage part of the story. Call me old-fashioned but that is how I am, while I don't believe in living in fantasy, but I do try to impose my personality on my character, so I try to make decisions I would make in real life.

I don't know about ToR, but I think you had that kind of choice in KOTOR I think. I think it was 2? You could either, do the deed then and there, or opt to do it "later". Unsure how ToR handles it however.

As someone that suffers from G.I.D, with no special taste towards women or men yet (and never did before, ever, because G.I.D. eclipses any... imagination to any side I may have), I can understand both sides (points) and I find silly from either side to be arguing all the time in these topics.

I think some get it, your both very insecure groups or feel like your on a crusade against Persians with nothing more than 300 men.

Real Hetero's don't waste time arguing against LGBT's and welcome this or don't care at all neither way.

Real LGBT's don't waste time arguing against Hetero's because they know that most video games show Hetero relations anyway so they simply discard.

LGBT's must have played other games has well where the main character is a male that haves more women each night than roses in your backyard and, for some reason, he can't even remember their names... and still they enjoyed the game, not for the fact their characters were flirty but because of everything else in it.

They already promised the feature anyway so why argue about it?

Edited by SpadeFromNinety

Bioware, I apologize for some people. You're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't. People will find a reason to complain about -anything-. Because you didn't include this at launch, people will scream discrimination. Now that it's confirmed that you're implementing it later, they'll scream "it should have been sooner".

You need to realize the denizens of the internet are a rampaging horde of entitled fools. They'll curse your name, they'll bring the world on your head, but keep your chin up.

Take heart that you are the bigger person in this conflict. You will eventually add it, it will have a decent story-line, and the flames will be contained. Foolishness knows no gender, race, orientation, creed, or code. Thank you, Bioware. You listened. You're acting. It will be done.

Bioware, I apologize for some people. You're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't. People will find a reason to complain about -anything-. Because you didn't include this at launch, people will scream discrimination. Now that it's confirmed that you're implementing it later, they'll scream "it should have been sooner".

You need to realize the denizens of the internet are a rampaging horde of entitled fools. They'll curse your name, they'll bring the world on your head, but keep your chin up.

Take heart that you are the bigger person in this conflict. You will eventually add it, it will have a decent story-line, and the flames will be contained. Foolishness knows no gender, race, orientation, creed, or code. Thank you, Bioware. You listened. You're acting. It will be done.

Why mention that in here? You should post that in General, where all the real complaining goes on, hahaha.

I'm just annoyed at not knowing how they'll handle it. I don't even want to play a lot of characters, for fear I'll just have to restart them anyway because I won't be able to RP them as I intended because the options didn't exist at the time.

For me the main issue is something that was only briefly touched on earlier in the thread, and that is the unwanted advances. As someone currently playing a female Smuggler, I'm quite disgusted by the fact that she keeps getting hit on by dudes, and never the ladies. It wouldn't be so bad, I suppose, if there were an equal (or even better, higher) number of women hitting on her, or at least women that she could flirt with. Its incredibly frustrating to have to put up with all the sickening stuff, knowing that I 'could', and should, be able to flirt with the female NPCs instead. Most of the games out there these days, whether its the ME and DA series, Fallout NV, Skyrim, etc. generally handle this extremely well, its not even an issue unless they make it one by doing it completely wrong, as sadly they have done here. Just stop constantly trying to force dudes on us, and let us romance the ladies if we prefer. Its really quite an easy solution to a problem that shouldn't have existed in the first place.

Honestly, I wish they hadn't put in romances at all. It's just odd. Even back in the day with the Baldur's Gate series, the romances were clunky and a little disturbing at times. And in SWToR, apparently humans will sleep with any old alien race which is bizarre IMO. None of the current relationship options seem sexy to me.

Ultimately, if you must have romances in the game, they should go both ways to be fair. But I'd be far happier if they were thrown completely out.

I would like to see that option in-game, even if it is only for the sake of being in the game. Bioware did a great job implementing same sex relationships in their other games like Dragon Age I & II, so I'm sure they'll do a great job in SWTOR as well, if they decide to deliver that feature in a later stage.

But right at the moment, it doesn't bother me much that there is no option for such a relationship. It's a computer game after all, not real life. So I can adjust more easily to the circumstances :) And no, I'm not one of those guys who absolutely wants to see two computer game women make out with each other. The fact that I play only male characters would make that pretty darn difficult :D

Hello everyone!

Since we do feel the current discussion for same gender romance has run its course and due to the unfortunate volatile nature of the conversation, we are closing this thread. For our official statement, please see the following:

Official statement follows:

Due to the design constraints of a fully voiced MMO of this scale and size, many choices had to be made as to the launch and post-launch feature set. Same gender romances with companion characters in Star Wars: The Old Republic will be a post-launch feature. Because The Old Republic is an MMO, the game will live on through content expansions which allow us to include content and features that could not be included at launch, including the addition of more companion characters who will have additional romance options.

Should anyone have any questions or concerns, please do email us: bwacommunitysupport@bioware.com.

We appreciate your understanding that we've closed this thread!