Non-force Users beyond the class stories

Meisterschreck

I've heard rumblings that the non-force users after the class stories end up in alot of situations where them being there just doesn't make sense. I've played through to the end of SoR as a jedi knight and I'm about to continue into fallen empire now. I want to do the same with an Imp class, of which my favourite are my agent and BH. I'm worried that the story won't work with them. What do people think?

I think haters gonna hate and that Jedi fanboys need to chill.

I've played the expansions with both an Agent and BH and I found it more enjoyable than with either JK or JC. The Agent and BH have far more of their companions return than other classes and (no spoilers) it is obvious that pains were taken to make the one-size-fits-none story appropriate for them. I still haven't played through with the trooper or smuggler, but I can see how they'd be fun.

You may have to suspend your disbelief during some of the major boss battles, but your character is rarely alone so the tired "force users would rotfl-stomp ANY non force user" line shouldn't be a deterrent.

Edited by gragnongoth

I've played the expansions with both an Agent and BH and I found it more enjoyable than with either JK or JC. The Agent and BH have far more of their companions return than other classes and (no spoilers) it is obvious that pains were taken to make the one-size-fits-none story appropriate for them. I still haven't played through with the trooper or smuggler, but I can see how they'd be fun.

You may have to suspend your disbelief during some of the major boss battles, but your character is rarely alone so the tired "force users would rotfl-stomp ANY non force user" line shouldn't be a deterrent.

I love how in the end you say "Well, you may have to suspend your disbelief during some of the major boss battles." Which is why people say they're not right for them. :p

There are two other Force-using classes out there, too...the Warrior and Inquisitor play quite nicely with the expansion story-content. My "canon" Outlander is an Inquisitor. I don't get why so many seem to think the story only works with the Knight, when any of the Force users fit.

That being said, the non-Force-using classes just don't jive right for me as an Outlander. Like why would Vitiatorian even give two poops about some random Smuggler dood. Or Arcann talking to you like you're an equal when you know he would be like "You're beneath me...I flick you like the bug you are."

Edited by Dracofish

My personal thing is that they should of had 2 stories. A force sensitive story and a non force sensitive story.

Example I decide to do the storyline with my smuggler. I then get asked if I have a JC or JK I'd like to use as the outlander or use a generic. Then we go to chapter 1. My smuggler gets the call and chapter 1 goes the way it normally goes with a few wrinkles.

We are there with the "Outlander" and while Valkorion acknowledges the Outlander, we too get acknowledged as helping change the galaxy. We both get asked, and your answer is for both my smuggler and Outlander or a combo.

Then the scene happens, Outlander kills Valkorion along with you, Val takes the Outlander and you also get hauled away.

This is where it changes. You get sent to a prison camp which after years Lana breaks you out to go help get the Outlander. Then you show up in chapter 3 as we know it now with a computer controlled bot Outlander. Go through helping the team etc. Chapter 9 you as the player make the decisions for the Outlander to say. When the Outlander becomes the Commander, you get named vice commander.

Chapter 12 when they go to the spire, Outlander does what we normally would do to make their special saber, we actually go in with Havoc and Kaliyo to the spire.

Basically we get to see the other side of the coin on specific missions or missions where the Outlander would go recruit the mandalorioans, Outlander sends you instead.

Last chapter of KOTFE, you go around sabotaging the ship while the Outlander faces off against Arcann.

That's just my 2 cents.

There are two other Force-using classes out there, too...the Warrior and Inquisitor play quite nicely with the expansion story-content. My "canon" Outlander is an Inquisitor. I don't get why so many seem to think the story only works with the Knight, when any of the Force users fit.

That being said, the non-Force-using classes just don't jive right for me as an Outlander. Like why would Vitiatorian even give two poops about some random Smuggler dood. Or Arcann talking to you like you're an equal when you know he would be like "You're beneath me...I flick you like the bug you are."

Yeah I mean this is kind of what I mean. I'm worried that my favourite imp classes (BH/Agent) won't play out well so I'm wondering whether to use my warrior. I just would prefer to do it with the agent i think. I just don't see how someone who had to pussyfoot around darth jadus until watcher 2 gets the forcefield up would be able to go head to head with someone like arcann

I love how in the end you say "Well, you may have to suspend your disbelief during some of the major boss battles." Which is why people say they're not right for them. :p

I said "you may" because I didn't. Non-force users beat force users sometimes, it happens. Plus I figured the Vitiate/Valkorian juju was enough to get them through those specific battles and didn't have a problem with them at all.

Edited by gragnongoth

I kind of wonder why these people are having problems with it now. On Corellia, a random smuggler can kill three Dark Council members; non-Force users having leet skillz is hardly new.

I kind of wonder why these people are having problems with it now. On Corellia, a random smuggler can kill three Dark Council members; non-Force users having leet skillz is hardly new.

this.

The Agent actually works pretty good I found with the KOTFE/KOTET stuff, due to the unusual Agent things and companions.

Honestly Chapter 12 is the only one that is a bit "Meh" as far as I'm concerned.

Each to their own really, best bet is to do it on both and make up your own mind

this.

The Agent actually works pretty good I found with the KOTFE/KOTET stuff, due to the unusual Agent things and companions.

Honestly Chapter 12 is the only one that is a bit "Meh" as far as I'm concerned.

Each to their own really, best bet is to do it on both and make up your own mind

I agree, although each time I play it on a new character I *listen* HARD to what Satele and Marr say, as well as what V says, and I'm forming a progressively more positive attitude to Chapter XII on an NFU. It *does* work, and it was constructed and written to work. I'd go so far as to say that if a particular player finds that it doesn't work, it's probably because he isn't paying attention to what's said, and is basing his conclusion on a pre-conceived notion of what FU vs NFU means, and a notion that's in direct contradiction of a number of events in the base class story, even.

And the Agent thing is good, partly because they did Kaliyo's return correctly for a romancer - it is unique in a way that only Kaliyo could make it. I just wish I had picked Sniper rather than Operative for that guy.

It can work, I see a lot of people for example discrediting the Smuggler but honestly if you go DS you can build your own criminal empire, I think that would raise Tenebrae's attention a little bit, plus regardless of class during Ziost you're one of the few constantly trying to defy him, in my opinion that moment you became a focus of his attention regardless of who you were previously, and force users have been known to be taken down by normal beings, it's not impossible.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done it as Warrior and Trooper. Neither felt horrifically inappropriate, but both definitely had their own unique flavor. As the Warrior, I felt more committed to Beniko and the Arcann portion of the story, feeling very personally involved and more aware of Valkorian. As the Trooper, I found I cared a lot more about the greater Alliance, and in fighting not just against Arcann, but against Zakuul.

As always, the story will make as much sense as the effort you put into it, so if you skip cutscenes and speed through mashing 'All Lightside' or 'All Darkside' choices, you can expect all stories to suffer. If you just do what your character would do, it can be enjoyed as any class.

played it on all classes, both sides, light and dark choices, and tbh, apart from chapter 12, it works well, as said previously, valkorian pops up from time to time, with various dialogue options and choices for you to make, and explains how NFU's manage to do things they normally cant, apart from chapter 12..

tbh, most of chapter 12 isnt too bad, its only that force leap thing really.

I have also played KotFE/KotET with all classes and the only class where it didn't make sense at all was with my smuggler. But that's mainly because I play him as a mid 50s grey-haired old fart who likes to hustle, fool around and enjoy life. The beginning of KotFE alone is completely ridiculous. He'd be the last one Valky (or anyone) would be interested in.

I did enjoy KotFE/KotET very much on my trooper. I think it suited her well, especially building the whole Alliance thingy. That's exactly what she's good at: forming alliances, leading her peeps. She is, after all, the bestest soldier in the whole galaxy. I expected nothing less of her. :D

Personally feel like the story was specifically written with the Jedi Knight and Sith warrior in mind, but any of the force users can just as easily make sense. The inquisitor is for the most part, following in the exact shoes as Vitiate did in his rise to power. Vitiate started as a runt viewed as a weakling, then became the most powerful being alive. inquisitor started as a slave, and became one of the top leading members on the dark council, and is one of the most powerful people in the galaxy; I can easily see Vitiate being impressed by that. While the Jedi consular is one of the most powerful Jedi ever, who faced off against the children of the emperor; something that would put them under Vitiates radar.

Rest of the classes take a great deal of head canon and suspension of belief.

Personally, I only play the Eternal Throne stuff with a sith warrior because for me that has the best story arch and the most satisfying flow from class to expansion.

For everyone else, I just get them to 70 and skip straight to fractured alliances. I play the game for the story and that class provides the best story (at least for me).

I'm guessing that is likely because the planet stories are both optional and completely identical for all four classes from that story's faction. While the Smuggler could kill all three dark Council members, it isn't necessarily part of the canon. All four Republic classes have access to the same story so the player could have it as the Knight or the Consular in their canon instead instead, either one of which is far more plausible. It is up to the player which of the four heroes liberated Corellia. A lot of players also did the planet stories once and skipped them with subsequent characters from that faction.

In contrast none of the Chapters in KOTFE or KoTET can be skipped if you want to progress, unlike Corellia's planet story. A Smuggler protagonist can't skip killing Valkorian because "that's my Jedi's storyline" because once we get into KoTFE there is only one Outlander story and there other 7 characters effectively have their stories cease. Sure, you can load up another character and take him or her through KotKE or KoTET as well, but now you're on an alternate timeline, unlike in the original story.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

Agent is the only non force user that worked for me. I can see why the Emperor would respect them enough to want them to be his vessel. BH, Smug and Trooper though? Not so much.

Also most of the time you're getting rag dolled by his crazy kids anyway so not having force powers doesn't have much of an effect.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only played through the expansions with my Smuggler toon so far and I've found (at least for me) that it worked surprisingly well with that particular non-force using class, especially the way I've been roleplaying her.

Given how the Smuggler's class story has seen them being dragged into all sorts of drama simply for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, going forward into the expansions is just an escalation of the ever-increasing trouble they seem to find themselves in, which I find highly comical. All my Smuggler wanted to do was fly around the galaxy engaging in petty crime and the occasional gun for hire gig, but ends up ruling part of the galaxy completely against her will. The best part of it is that you can complain and protest about your new role(s) throughout both expansions.

As for the battles feeling unsuited for non-force users, it's worth taking into account that we have Valkorion dwelling inside us so even if you don't make use of his powers directly, he's still giving you an edge in battle and preventing you from dying (for example, when Arcann thrusts his lightsaber into your chest, Valkorion keeps you alive where you would've otherwise died).

I also feel that Valkorion's interest in the protagonist (regardless of achievements and class) is largely due to his own over-inflated ego. We interfered and irritated him so much on Ziost that I got the impression that he decided it would be entertaining to toy with us for a while before hollowing us out, partly for revenge and partly for his own amusement like a predator playing with its prey before they kill it.

Edited by AbilityDrain

I also agree with the people which said how the latest expansions were done in a way in which feels much more natural to play in them as a force user class than not.

On my BH I like that one chapter in KOTFE about the mandalorians and Shae Vizla , and would prefer to work in the future storylines more together with them than with the sith empire.

Edited by Lunablade

I had no problem believing it with my Trooper. He obviously never trained as a Jedi but he knows he’s Force sensitive. There have been many time when, in desperate need, he’s calmed down lightning on his enemies (Heroic Moment legacy skil). When empowered by Valkorian it’s not above the imagination that he can fight Arcann and Vaylin and win. Edited by BlazeTomahawk

I've only played through the expansions with my Smuggler toon so far and I've found (at least for me) that it worked surprisingly well with that particular non-force using class, especially the way I've been roleplaying her.

Given how the Smuggler's class story has seen them being dragged into all sorts of drama simply for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, going forward into the expansions is just an escalation of the ever-increasing trouble they seem to find themselves in, which I find highly comical. All my Smuggler wanted to do was fly around the galaxy engaging in petty crime and the occasional gun for hire gig, but ends up ruling part of the galaxy completely against her will. The best part of it is that you can complain and protest about your new role(s) throughout both expansions.

As for the battles feeling unsuited for non-force users, it's worth taking into account that we have Valkorion dwelling inside us so even if you don't make use of his powers directly, he's still giving you an edge in battle and preventing you from dying (for example, when Arcann thrusts his lightsaber into your chest, Valkorion keeps you alive where you would've otherwise died).

I also feel that Valkorion's interest in the protagonist (regardless of achievements and class) is largely due to his own over-inflated ego. We interfered and irritated him so much on Ziost that I got the impression that he decided it would be entertaining to toy with us for a while before hollowing us out, partly for revenge and partly for his own amusement like a predator playing with its prey before they kill it.

Since i play my own new smuggler right now i have the feeling that from all non force sensitive classes, the smuggler works best during KOTFE and KOTET.

The smuggler is the number 1 in the galactic underworld, an infamous pirate / charming outlaw with an entire pirate / buccaneer fleet under his command or at his side.

The smuggler knows how to lead, it is said by multiple NPCs that the captain is inspiring loyalty. Especially leading a bunch of misfits and underdogs is nothing new to him when Lana declares the captain as the commander of the alliance. Also the smuggler is among the most neutral PCs. Sure, he works for the republic. But mostly for the money and to have a safe haven after robbing riches of the empire. I see the smuggler more as a Sir Francis Drake kind of character than a Han Solo flyboy.

Valkorion sees the PCs as a potential asset. The emperor is cunning, manipulative and charming. Of course he strokes the PCs ego to get him / her to join his empire, be it a Jedi Knight, smuggler or Bounty Hunter. If you read his "only you...", "you are special..." etc lines from a solely manipulative point of view they feel less out of place.

And as you just stated we never fight Arcann, Vaylin or Valkorion alone. Either Valkorion is helping us or his family is. During the first fight with Vaylin it is Valkorion who safes the PC. While it always irritates me to listen "she would have killed you" after my SI just beat the crap out of her and is hard to kill thanks to her force ghosts making her almost immortal, i do see the point why BW decided to write the fight this way. It's just a pride thing why i watch the scene with distaste ;)

following in the exact shoes as Vitiate did in his rise to power. Vitiate started as a runt viewed as a weakling, then became the most powerful being alive.

"When he was just a child of six, he was able to use the Force to kill his adoptive father by breaking his neck with a mere thought. And when he was only ten years old, he was able to strip the Sith Lord Dramath of his power and mind in a confrontation."

Wouldn't call that nothing ;) but jokes aside I agree with you, force users definitely fit with the story much better. I also think it's very fitting for Sith characters to reach the pinnacle of power, it really makes the whole journey from acolyte feel much more potent, especially considering it's likely that the Warrior/Inq will recreate the Empire afterwards.

they wrote about 60% of one story and ran out of money.

Still there are shiny trailers and stuff to buy on the cartel market. :)

If you can get your head around non-force characters going through the ongoing story after vanilla, then fair play to you. - But for some people, the holes in the plot are even wider when non-force sensitive' characters get involved.

There may be times at which you go

"Why don't I just shoot this person instead of hearing them yammer on?"

and

"I couldn't force-leap this gap before - how come I can now?"

-etc.