POLL RESULTS: What SWTOR needs RIGHT NOW

GalacticKegger

Hey look nothing whatsoever to do with character customization, social elements, or anything aside from battle battle battle.

Welp.

Those are important for some longterm growth, but as it is a battle focused game I do tend to prioritize battle issues over society building issues in the "RIGHT NOW" aspect of the poll.

I imagine that weak social issues may drive people away over time, but weak combat will drive people away right now.

While not in agreement with everything on the poll, I do heartily agree with #1. Combat delay, misfires, and general responsiveness is my #1 issue in the game right now. Many of us have been turned off by it, and as time goes by and more and more people reach harder content where timing begins to matter and characters have more reactive skills, I am convinced it will grow as a widespread community issue.

I retain some hope based on their acknowledgement of the issue, but it is still so large as to be a "wait and see" issue for me.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thx Bushido and you're welcome. Been getting all sorts of "love letters" for championing Sorrowsongg's poll. About how disingenuous the numbers are and why I should stop trying to look important. Aren't forums fun? The numbers are what's important, and those who consider them fabricated might be better served addressing the 1011 members of the community who took the time to populate them. As long as dev finds the data useful then that's all that matters. :) Edited by GalacticKegger

• 4 years later...

Community exists to make a difference. Which is something I have made a concerted effort to promote in the 5½ years I've been here, regardless of opposing agendas. Knowing that I often lack Emily Post manners (which tends to get me in trouble), I try to make up for it with veracity and accuracy. So if out of the blue a dev takes the time to read this ...

Game-wide level & gear appropriate companion / planet / H4 / FP / HM vertical progression being eliminated, then being replaced with dress-up doll companions and one-size-fits-all forced level sync / loot piñata H2s / solo and tactical mode lateral repetition, was a poor choice in shortcuts. Why you as a business chose to burn bridges with your purist Star Wars MMO fans is beyond comprehension.

Early game content got repurposed into elder game's marching grinder, which deserted the players who wore their "Altoholics Annonymous" t-shirts with pride and conviction. It also destroyed a seasoned tactical learning & mentoring system. Other than infuriating a valuable segment of your core player base, the result of this overhaul is players now showing up in group finder tacticals, HMs & Ops with nary a clue as to what they should be doing. The people here who are vocal about vote kicking them blame it on L2P, when they should be rallying to impeach the game's new direction instead.

Borrowing from Thomas More: "For if you suffer your players to be ill-prepared, and their teamwork to be corrupted from infancy, and then punish them and those around them for those habits to which their first education disposed them, what else is to be concluded from this, but that you first make ill-prepared players and then punish them and those around them."

For my wife & I specifically, SWTOR lost its magic the moment we figured out that we couldn't play through the Fallen Empire's 5 levels worth of story together. Then after the KotFE story we figured out that we couldn't do any of the Alliance quest dialogues together either. Which (thanks to quick travel) encompasses much of elder game's play time. KotFE killed the group participation story dynamic that gave SWTOR its identity. You should have published a separate subscription-based KOTOR title and left a fabulous SWTOR MMO alone.

Other than GF-accessible content, SWTOR essentially is no longer a MMO and never will be again if Fallen Empire is indeed the new paradigm. Which will likely define the "MMO part" of this expansion that has been teased for release later this year. My expectation for that MMO part's release is for end game to be reinvented and reduced so as to be made "relevant" for a much broader audience ... much like KotFE reinvented and reduced the rest of the game so as to make it "relevant" for elder game. As SoR became a glimpse into the future of the game's exclusively single-player cinematic / solo mode storytelling, we similarly fear that The Eternal Championship portends the future of what SWTOR's ultimate end game will look like.

Please tell the community I'm wrong and why.

The people who demanded a single player KOTOR III got their wish. The people who were hoping for an improved and polished update to the SWTOR MMO they had endeared themselves to for over 4 years got pink slips. Bioware betrayed their loyal MMORPG purist player base for a single-player recruiting table at the Force Awakens débutante ball. That crossed the line.

I never thought that I would ever be going through withdrawals from SWTOR because it was turned into something else overnight. Or that I would regret being loyal to a developer who I've stood by for 18 years. Or that I would be relentlessly flamed for my efforts to explain how and why by resident antagonists who have refined devout following into a cult worshipfullness artform. It's unfortunate, but that is the path both game and community appear to have taken - present antiquated thread's "genuine community feedback" objective aside. Though I hope you got the message it sends ... that your community truly can help make a difference when given the opportunity. As long as communication with your community addresses their concerns, and not what you want to hear about a fluff topic of your choosing.

Thus as a long time SWTOR MMO purist, now is probably a good time to get out. Further details can be found in my exit survey, as well as in certified letters received by Mr. Jeff Hickman, Mr. Matthew Bromberg and Mr. Andrew Wilson from my wife and I. Other than payment information, my account (contact) information will remain intact. We would be thrilled to have to make tracking numbers available upon request.

It hurts like hell to do this, but ... it's been a great 5½ years. I sincerely wish Star Wars MMORPG fans everywhere all the best.

Cheers!

Keg

Some more trips down memory lane:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=570994#post570994

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=254#post254

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=84

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=2057470#post2057470

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=3691984#edit3691984

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=3377986#post3377986

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=4231726#post4231726

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1455803#post1455803

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/?sm=yYAV582PZrjZOtRWMnBjar7ypEadNUXtg8MFWPDvjuM%3d

Edited by GalacticKegger

No one asked me a darn thing :confused: and as far as I'm concerned, any of the top things listed I don't care about personally. Of all the things talked about, the only things that perked any interest in me, are more leveling content, weapons customization, and switch faction content.

I would prefer to see more and continued story content, cosmetic windows for companions, the ability to customize our comps, weapons.

I realize that new classes might be difficult to do, but that's another thing I'd like to see.

Edited to add: Well, it seems that these things matter to others, so I hope it works out, but yeah, I'd like to see more of the above myself.

Edited by Lunafox

No one asked me a darn thing, and as far as I'm concerned, any of the top things listed I don't care about personally. Of all the things talked about, the only things that perked any interest in me, are more leveling content, weapons customization, and switch faction content.

I would prefer to see more and continued story content, cosmetic windows for companions, the ability to customize our comps, weapons.

I realize that new classes might be difficult to do, but that's another thing I'd like to see.

Well you should've participated in the poll instead of acting like a special snowflake and thinking people should poll you. At least now you can express what you think is needed for the game. Thanks to the forums your opinion has been noted and maybe someone will add your thoughts to the next poll. Personally in my opinion I don't find any of your desired changes as vital to the long term growth and development of this game other than story, and leveling content.

What's funny is the community's voice playing second fiddle to the rash of heated debates over whose individual needs are more important. Guess winning an argument trumps hearing the truth. Wish more would comment. ;)

OP thank you for the poll it's definitely nice to see those results and I think that alot of the top ten issues is what I want fixed as well. Don't let anyone dissuade you from keeping up this work hopefully the devs can see how terrible they are at programming and how most people just want a game that properly works without bugs. :)

What SWTOR needs right now is BW apologize for releasing such disaster unfinished

project, shut down the servers for 1-2 weeks try to polish the game fix bugs, shut down open world pvp the thing they called illum till it completely fixed and ready.

I'm a big fan of star wars but it really hurts when you see someone insulting star wars by abusing the title with this low quality disaster unfinished MMO.

I also hate seeing the low quality control this game has, the Star Wars title deserves better and most of all we as customers and fans deserve better. I would be completely ok with them taking this game down for 1 month to actually fix the bugs and actually not presenting this game like someone else stated a glorified beta product. :)

Edited by squirrelballz

Community exists to make a difference. Which is something I have made a concerted effort to promote in the 5½ years I've been here, regardless of opposing agendas. Knowing that I often lack Emily Post manners (which tends to get me in trouble), I try to make up for it with veracity and accuracy. So if out of the blue a dev takes the time to read this ... ::snip::

You done good and your post is thoughtful and accurate. Hopefully you guys find a game that suits your wants; and hopefully the clowns currently running this one remember it's an MMO before too long. Pls pardon the insecure junkies that will be clawing at you on your way out the door. They feel personally threatened when anyone leaves.

Edited by Joesixxpack

No one asked me a darn thing, and as far as I'm concerned, any of the top things listed I don't care about personally. Of all the things talked about, the only things that perked any interest in me, are more leveling content, weapons customization, and switch faction content.

Well maybe because this post was from 2012 & you weren't looking on the forums then? Heh who knows. But I do know that just because YOU, 1 player in the thousands that play SWTOR, don't care personally for those apparently a lot others that were polled did.

Besides this post wasn't brought back for that poll inasmuch as for the OP to say a sad goodbye because of the state of the game.

OP,

Good luck on your future adventures!

My list:

1: General lag. This includes network (stuff channeling backwards/not happening/one-second interrupt windows on terribad connections) and framerate/stutter. It's probably very deeply ingrained in the engine, though: the most ovious reason for the game to want want half of everyone's TCP ports is: the game's netcode is not very good, and the sorting through and ordering of packets is dumped on the OS and every router between you and [insert server here].

2: PvP's serial lopsidedness. This goes for space and ground. This is why the Forex and Pierce quests got so much shouting: thousands and thousands of games matched with and against 0 games is a recipe for fail.

3: Spoilers. No SoR tacticals until you get to that part of the story.

4: More flashpoints like the Star Fortress one, or more content which scales based on group size like the Macrobinoculars or Seeker Droid minor missions. Stuff playable either alone or with friends is a good thing.

Well you should've participated in the poll instead of acting like a special snowflake and thinking people should poll you. At least now you can express what you think is needed for the game. Thanks to the forums your opinion has been noted and maybe someone will add your thoughts to the next poll. Personally in my opinion I don't find any of your desired changes as vital to the long term growth and development of this game other than story, and leveling content.[/Quote]

Why so mean squirrel? I didn't wrong you in a past life did I? No need to call me names. I'm just stating a fact. I saw no poll...there wasn't one emailed to me, nor did I see one on the forum, even though I've been here since before launch. There are a lot of posts put up, it's quite possible it somehow got missed. The fact is, no one asked me anything, so I decided to volunteer what I thought was important and what I thought. It's okay if you disagree with me, no skin off my teeth really. What's vital to me, may not be to you, and that's ok.

Well maybe because this post was from 2012 & you weren't looking on the forums then? Heh who knows. But I do know that just because YOU, 1 player in the thousands that play SWTOR, don't care personally for those apparently a lot others that were polled did.

Besides this post wasn't brought back for that poll inasmuch as for the OP to say a sad goodbye because of the state of the game.

OP,

Good luck on your future adventures!

I have been here pretty solid since before launch. It's quite possible I missed the post about it. I just know that I received no email or anything like that about it, if it was an official sort of thing. But that's okay, if I'm one voice in a thousand...maybe I'm just one in *that* particular thousand. Either way, I said my bit, and whether people agree with me or not is fine, can't agree on everything all the time, and what's important to me, might not be to others and vice versa.

Read. Then think. Then post.

I did actually, but thank you so much for your lovely suggestion none the less.

Edited by Lunafox

Why so mean squirrel? I didn't wrong you in a past life did I? No need to call me names. I'm just stating a fact. I saw no poll...there wasn't one emailed to me, nor did I see one on the forum, even though I've been here since before launch. There are a lot of posts put up, it's quite possible it somehow got missed. The fact is, no one asked me anything, so I decided to volunteer what I thought was important and what I thought. It's okay if you disagree with me, no skin off my teeth really. What's vital to me, may not be to you, and that's ok.

I apologize if my response came off sounding like I'm a jerk. I did go over board with the special snowflake remark but that was only because of how baffled you seemed to be about not being polled. My only point was people vote all the time and sometimes alot of people don't get to vote for things because they don't know about it, it happens. Again I apologize if I came off as a jerk not my intention and I actually have seen and like alot of your posts and have no problems with you. Hope you have a good day. :)

Edited by squirrelballz

I apologize if my response came off sounding like I'm a jerk. I did go over board with the special snowflake remark but that was only because of how baffled you seemed to be about not being polled. My only point was people vote all the time and sometimes alot of people don't get to vote for things because they don't know about it, it happens. Again I apologize if I came off as a jerk not my intention and I actually have seen and like alot of your posts and have no problems with you. Hope you have a good day. :)

It's okay, I really enjoy your posts too, and I didn't think we'd ever had words or anything. No worries, just glad we're still friendly. :) I was kind of baffled, because I was under the impression it was an official thing from bioware/ea and I thought subs would be emailed, like they do with ads and such, and I know I never got anything like that, so I was like, 'well no one asked me!' lol. I say the same thing about the Nielsen ratings for tv. :o Even though the things on the list don't do much for me, it seems they do enough for others, so hopefully it'll get worked out. Anyways, apology accepted, no worries, it's all good, and I hope you have a great day too.

As ebbehmm suggested a designated area on the forum, would probably help future polling. :)

Edited by Lunafox

I did actually, but thank you so much for your lovely suggestion none the less.

Hmm... Since maybe I missed the edit.

Read. Then think. Then post.

TY for the reminder J6P. You are immeasurably wise and I am a silly bastard for not being certain to follow these fundamental steps.

Edited by Joesixxpack

TOP 10

1) 4.34 / 4.59 : Fix ability delay / abilities not firing off when pressed

Yeah, I'd give this a five. Healing HM ops gets tricky when Salvation or Force Armor don't go off when you ask them to...

2) 4.20 : On PvP servers, PvP bugs (que crashing you to char select, won matches not counting towards daily quests etc)

I've never experienced any of this, and not heard complaints about it, so non-issue...

3) 4.16 : More rewarding endgame crafting

BiS gear should come from doing end-game play - PvP should be required to get Advanced Warzone Gear, and PvE should be required to get 224 gear and set-bonus gear. Craft non-set 220s is fine by me, and the strongest medpacks and stims and crystals etc in the game as well.

4) 4.11 / 4.14 : Flashpoint / Raid bugs (loot bugs, boss bugs etc)

I only rarely see an issue in FPs/Ops, but when it happens, it's annoying. I agree with the 4-ish' result.

5) 4.02 : Overall PvP bugs (que crashing you to char select, won matches not counting towards daily quests etc)

Again, never seen an issue. Never a force-logout, and matches always count towards the daily, weekly, and conquest goals.

6) 4.00 : Customizable UI

This game's got a pretty decent customiseable UI. I wouldn't even rate this in my top 10 of grievances with the game.

7) 3.93 : Fix quest bugs (quests not updating etc)

Never seen this issue first-hand, but I've heard complaints. If peoples' stories are being impacted by such bugs, I'd give it a 4+ priority.

8) 3.75 : More customization of armor/weapon graphics in game

Effin' Five, tbh. Classic jedi robes, amirite?

9) 3.63 : More Warzones

If it means less Huttball, hell yeah!

10t) 3.53 : Adding a "two target system" (can heal a target and attack that targets target if using an offensive ability)

Seems like a nicer thing to have than using focus targets, I support this feature.

10t) 3.53 : Fix Lag & FPS

On a scale of 1-5, I'd give this about an 11. T's 2016, BioWare, lrn2multicore.

10t) 3.53 : More (rewarding and amount of) world PvP

While I don't enjoy wPvP as much as I used to (killing bothersome imps gets tiresome when you're just stopping by to gather mats or something), I would like to see the opportunity for a fun experience in designated areas, similar to the southern part of the Gree Event area on Ilum, including the intrafaction PvP action (though I wish guildies could fight each other in that zone as well!). CZ-198, Oricon, and Yavin, at least, all reward you for wPvP by way of achievements and an awesome title (alas, 'Scarebear' may never be mine...), but I wouldn't mind seeing daily wPvP quests similar to the daily/weekly Warzone quests - e.g. kill X players on Y planet per day/week.

THE REST

3.48 : More Raid content

A thousand times yes! They really ought to try for semi-annual raid releases. Going over a year is ridiculous.

3.45 : High resolution textures

I play on a non-gaming laptop, so lowest atm. Even with a gaming rig, though, there's a lot more I'd put before good textures. Give this one a two.

3.41 : Less sharded/themepark feel in the game ??

3.32 : More Flashpoint content

Okay, we can compromise. A new Operation once a year, and a new Flashpoint once a year. Every four months we get some new content of at least one sort. Ops, FPs, and WZs : )

3.30 : PvP class balance

I play a sage healer, so I have no idea what you're talking about : )

3.20 : Combat log

Built-in StarParse? Five! : )

3.16 : Mouseover healing

No thanks, I like the control of clicking/pressing. 1.

3.07 : Rated Warzones

Like, choose what to queue for? Sure, three.

3.03 : Biochem reusables/trinkets balance

Is there an issue here?

2.92 : Dual speccing

What, like a skank tank? No thanks, let's keep our single-minded highly-effective roles. Tanks in DPS gear are bad enough as it is..

2.83 : Macro use

That'd make this game way too easy : ) Seriously, I don' think it needs to support macros.

2.79 : Fix faction inbalance

Mirrors, yo. Tell more good players to play pub side : )

2.73 : More leveling content

I think there's enough story, side, and planetary quests for now, I'd give this much lower than a 2.73.

2.63 : Addon use

Meh, two, tops. StarParse is addon enough for me, I don't feel like I'm missing anything else.

2.49 : Server transfer

Never used it and not interested. Didn't know there was anything wrong with it.

2.35 : Arena type of PvP

They have this... It's called Ranked...

1.97 : Fix server queue times

I don't see how... Don't you just need more people to queue?

1.64 : Switch faction

1-2 sounds right. It' be neat, but not really a 'need'.

/5char

01.20.2012 , 03:01 AM | #1

REPORT POST QUOTE

An extensive web poll recently concluded which asked the community to grade how important specific bug fixes and feature additions were to them. Each item was rated from 1 to 5: a score of 5 represents an absolute need, while a score of 1 represents non importance. Here are the results from the more than 1,100 responses, ranked top to bottom from highest priority to lowest prority.

TOP 10

1) 4.34 / 4.59 : Fix ability delay / abilities not firing off when pressed

when your interupts dont work and the damage is done, this deserves the top votes

2) 4.20 : On PvP servers, PvP bugs (que crashing you to char select, won matches not counting towards daily quests etc)

never experienced this, i know it happens a lot with people who have bad rigs, especially heavy maps like quesh huttball, missing textures and all that, probably a 1 on my part, no much to my concern

3) 4.16 : More rewarding endgame crafting

Meh, i wouldnt be the only PvPer saying, "meh crafting". probably a 2.

4) 4.11 / 4.14 : Flashpoint / Raid bugs (loot bugs, boss bugs etc)

Never had this, 0.

5) 4.02 : Overall PvP bugs (que crashing you to char select, won matches not counting towards daily quests etc)

Again, not common as ive seen

6) 4.00 : Customizable UI

i wouldnt be complaining, this only deserves a 1, our UI is better than lots

7) 3.93 : Fix quest bugs (quests not updating etc)

These bloody annoy me, a 4 for me

8) 3.75 : More customization of armor/weapon graphics in game

Dye weapons, i'd give this a 3. Not major, but it would be nice

9) 3.63 : More Warzones

REMOVE STUPID QUESH HUTTBALL, k thanks, then add some new ones in, maybe VIP or a new style of play.

10t) 3.53 : Adding a "two target system" (can heal a target and attack that targets target if using an offensive ability)

Meh

10t) 3.53 : Fix Lag & FPS

Buy a new computer

10t) 3.53 : More (rewarding and amount of) world PvP

Valor past 100 has unique rewards, lets say at 150 valor you'll get a title and 5k warzone coms. Seasons needs UNIQUE rewards, yes BioWare UNIQUE, UNIQUE, UNIQUE.

THE REST

3.48 : More Raid content

Definitely need new operations.

3.45 : High resolution textures

Meh, that was Skyrim. I play for the difficulty, the graphics arent amazing, but look at WoW.

3.41 : Less sharded/themepark feel in the game

I dont understand why one would feel this

3.32 : More Flashpoint content

yuck

3.30 : PvP class balance

BALANCE, EXACTLY BIOWARE, BALANCE. *cough* stupid bubble addicts *cough*

3.20 : Combat log

Yeah, would be nice

3.16 : Mouseover healing

Nope

3.07 : Rated Warzones

Its called "ranked" obviously PvErs voted for this

3.03 : Biochem reusables/trinkets balance

Reusable items would be very nice, but i dont see BW ever doing that

2.92 : Dual speccing

Madness + lightning sorc combo, ugghh no thanks, Lightning + healing sorc, no thanks, Immortal +Veng jugg, no thanks... Leth + Conc operative, lol.

2.83 : Macro use

Not fair for those who like clicking

2.79 : Fix faction inbalance

Thats not a bug, thats player preference. The rep side is simply boring, for example, consular storyline.

2.73 : More leveling content

For sure

2.63 : Addon use

Like what...

2.49 : Server transfer

Its not bugged and it is a thing, :rolleyes:

2.35 : Arena type of PvP

lol... i swear, these people dont PvP

1.97 : Fix server queue times

Thats not possible unless you move to harbinger or SWTOR magically recruits 4 million players in 1 day

1.64 : Switch faction

please no:(

Huge thank you to Sorrowsongg for taking the initiative on this. Here is her original thread with all the raw results if interested: http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...172162&page=21

Thus as a long time SWTOR MMO purist, now is probably a good time to get out. Further details can be found in my exit survey, as well as in certified letters received by Mr. Jeff Hickman, Mr. Matthew Bromberg and Mr. Andrew Wilson from my wife and I. Other than payment information, my account (contact) information will remain intact. We would be thrilled to have to make tracking numbers available upon request.

It hurts like hell to do this, but ... it's been a great 5½ years. I sincerely wish Star Wars MMORPG fans everywhere all the best.

Cheers!

Keg

It's been a pleasure reading some of your posts, the community will be lessened without you or your wife in the game. As such I wish you well.

On the plus side, you get to try out some amazing games that you may well have missed the last few years (I know I am!), some of those you'll be able to enjoy in a group environment, which seems lacking in this title since 4.0. Either way, enjoy yourselves.

Quick observation since a couple of people seem to think "dual spec" means "hybrid spec." Dual Spec is a system where you can, with a single button press, switch your talents, gear and ability bars between two different specs. For example, as an Assassin, I could build my Darkness spec, save it, then press a button to switch to my Hatred spec, complete with a gear and hotbar swap.

Back to lurking...

Personally, I never even heard of that poll - which leads me to my main comment. Any on-line poll such as this only reflects the desires of those who are active enough in their gaming and SWTOR in particular, to actually find such a poll. There are many, many SWTOR (and any other game) players who simply play the game without becoming at all involved in these forums, let alone searching for obscure sites with polls.

And, what a surprise! People want bug fixes! Whoda thought. :)

I've noticed through the years, that PvP'ers and "raiders" seem to be the most active on forums, while basic PvE'ers just play the game. Only BW would know the usage figures concerning what percentage of their subscriber base actually do PvP, OPs, etc.

I'll bet that there are actually very few players who are at all concerned about being able to "dual-spec" etc. (I know I'm not :) )

Edited by JediQuaker