Please stop telling people to press spacebar

Cretinus

I had someone demanding I spacebar on BT normal/story mode the other day on my new toon, understand on the hard modes but if I was a new player and hadn't seen the story I would get pretty annoyed that some clown is threatening to spoil the fp run because you won't skip the cutscenes in a story driven MMO you are paying a sub for.

I think story modes should be unskippable anyway out of principle, it's not like you are going to do 100's of runs of SM BT/esseles before you outlevel it same for other sub 50 flashpoints.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had someone demanding I spacebar on BT normal/story mode the other day on my new toon, understand on the hard modes but if I was a new player and hadn't seen the story I would get pretty annoyed that some clown is threatening to spoil the fp run because you won't skip the cutscenes in a story driven MMO you are paying a sub for.

I think story modes should be unskippable anyway out of principle, it's not like you are going to do 100's of runs of SM BT/esseles before you outlevel it same for other sub 50 flashpoints.

If I was unable to skip the story I would very likely only run it once. I do not watch reruns, I don't care to be forced to watch anything more than once.

I'll usually skip convos I've already seen, but if I've never seen it before, I'm watching it - yell all you like. Everyone says that, if you want to watch convos, you should join a guild. Well you know what? Join a guild if you DON'T want to watch them.

Agree 100%. Especially in story mode.

If I'm in story mode, I'm there for a reason, the bloody story. So whine about spacebar all you want, I'm watchin' the story.

I don't mind letting people who haven't seen the story (especially BT/Esselles) play through it without spacebar. It's one of those things that always seems to get settled up front. I do get annoyed when it's specifically stated "Social Run" and someone doesn't spacebar.

Having said that, as has already been said, lag seems to be the problem these days more than the spacebar.

I concur. It's actually part of the reason I've been hesitant to start doing Flashpoints.

I've done two (because a friend finally wore me down and talked me into it) overleveled on Story Mode, and I just said upfront upon getting into the instance "This is my first time doing this FP, I'm not going to be spacebarring through it." I figure at that point they could leave if they didn't want to put up with it. :p

.. I do get annoyed when it's specifically stated "Social Run" and someone doesn't spacebar.

Now this I don't understand. It's a "social" run, so I would assume that the spacebar nonsense would be moot. Now if you said SPACEBAR RUN, then I would understand. Why not call it like it is, rather than what it isn't.

This is one of the many reasons I don't pug.

It's stating to bug me to. I have 3 50s all Empire and I rolled a Rep. the other day. I got to lvl10 (fleet) and hopped in the first Flash point (forget the name but it's only one). I had never seen any Rep story line yet so I wanted to watch. Just one dude kept saying hit space bar until he left "good" the three left did it. We didn't even bother with calling a replacement player. At that level two of us could have done it.

I concur. It's actually part of the reason I've been hesitant to start doing Flashpoints.

I've done two (because a friend finally wore me down and talked me into it) overleveled on Story Mode, and I just said upfront upon getting into the instance "This is my first time doing this FP, I'm not going to be spacebarring through it." I figure at that point they could leave if they didn't want to put up with it. :p

I haven't done all the FPs/Ops either, which is why I'm super sympathetic to any lower level player going through it the first time.

If I was unable to skip the story I would very likely only run it once. I do not watch reruns, I don't care to be forced to watch anything more than once.

Then do the story mode 1x. Then shift to hard mode with the rest of the spacebar peeps.

It's stating to bug me to. I have 3 50s all Empire and I rolled a Rep. the other day. I got to lvl10 (fleet) and hopped in the first Flash point (forget the name but it's only one). I had never seen any Rep story line yet so I wanted to watch. Just one dude kept saying hit space bar until he left "good" the three left did it. We didn't even bother with calling a replacement player. At that level two of us could have done it.

Sorry, my understanding was that it was for Social Points. Spacebar run might clarify things.

Oddly, the spacebar demands have only happened to me on the Rep side also.

Yeah tell me about it, in a flashpoint I was KICKED by two others because I did not skip.

Thanks BW. Great concept really.

Never played a damn flashpoint again, you can keep it.

Little secret: When peeps are complaining that "someone" isn't spacebarring, slow it down even more by complaining yourself, in vivid detail about the same thing. They'll think you're on their side and won't kik you. :D

People are aware of the spacebar functionality in dialogues. If they don't press spacebar, then that's because they simply don't want to, and not because they are lazy/unaware/in need of guidance etc.

u should solo it, don't group, don't post it.

If you have to explain the "social" as meaning for "social points only", then yep.. should be "Spacebar run". :D

Not to be insulting, but what else would it mean? Hang out in the dock chatting rather than getting through it (convos or not?)

I'm not a fan of the spacebar option. I happen to enjoy the story, hearing all the different reactions to the choices and hearing the characters voices. I do skip conversations in fp's though since I got the boot once for listening to a conversation in a fp that I had never done before..and yes I did state that I had never done it before. I did have a nice group doing foundry though, a guy yelled at me to spacebar and I told him it was my first time, he apologized and told me to enjoy the story.

I'm not a fan of the spacebar option. I happen to enjoy the story, hearing all the different reactions to the choices and hearing the characters voices. I do skip conversations in fp's though since I got the boot once for listening to a conversation in a fp that I had never done before..and yes I did state that I had never done it before. I did have a nice group doing foundry though, a guy yelled at me to spacebar and I told him it was my first time, he apologized and told me to enjoy the story.

My general experience is that most players are like this. I might just be lucky though.

there is often one person who watches the 9001 scenes and choices in the esseles while three people ask for spacebar. Usually the one person who isn't spacebarring needs gear and is being carried through the hardmode by others.

Now I don't mind watching the final scene of a hardmode but watching every scene in esseles should be done on your own time.

there is often one person who watches the 9001 scenes and choices in the esseles while three people ask for spacebar. Usually the one person who isn't spacebarring needs gear and is being carried through the hardmode by others.

Now I don't mind watching the final scene of a hardmode but watching every scene in esseles should be done on your own time.

It sounds like you don't enjoy video games very much.

The thing is, spacebarring is NOT the norm. YOU didn't do it on your first run (unless you were bullied, you dont see power in bullies, do you!?) So why do you shout at someone who is trying to enjoy the story? It doesnt matter how many times YOU have run it, you don't know how many times other players have experienced the story line.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in favor of spacing IF the group is happy with that. If someone asks "hey guys, mind if we spacebar this one?", 99% of the time, I'm happy to do that. Even on my first runs, I can catch the story up another time (running it twice with other ppl.)

The ones who annoy me are the ones (without prior communication) who say "FFS Spacebar!!!" You do not dicate the FP run, YOU are one of four and you will damn well wait for the dialog to unfold. By saying "FFS Spacebar!!" you get a one way ticket to everyone else watching the dialog slowly, taking in every word (re-reading the subtitles) and agonising each and every input choice. Be polite, You'd be suprised how often people will be happy to at least cut the "we'll stand here and drink tea, you 4 go and do the hard stuff" dialog actually are.

That said, by the time you hit HM, I do understand the frustration of people when someone refuses to spacebar through a single sentence of the story. There have bee nthe climbs to the 50 mark, there have been story modes. Now, yo uare on HM, you know the story and are aware of the situation presented in this FP. IF someone asks (politely!!!!) skip it. By this point, you should know the story.

However, if someone TELLS you to skip it, kick back and enjoy the voice overs, but consider your responses VERY carefullly.

x

If you don't want to skip then go STORY mode or dont use a group finder. HARD is for gear grind, challenge and runs in the smallest possible time-frame. Stop abusing the group finder by queuing HARD for story (not to mention clueless recruit-geared ones joining for LI HM) and you won't be getting kicked. Most players want to grind their dailies quickly and they've seen the flashpoint thousands of times. NOBODY will tell you to skip in a story mode flashpoint so off you go over there - like all of us did early on before all the free recruit gear and stuff. Also, anyone who is urging to skip in story mode is a jerk (unless it's some farming run) and he deserves some proper dis. Edited by Alec_Fortescue