Emergency Medpack sound

Aerilas

You have to be kidding me. Healing isn't just about visuals clues, half the time my toon is stacked or in flames so I can't even see what I'm doing. Audio clues are very important to a healer, never really understood that until the prior bug with sound on SOA in EV.

You have to be kidding me. Healing isn't just about visuals clues, half the time my toon is stacked or in flames so I can't even see what I'm doing. Audio clues are very important to a healer, never really understood that until the prior bug with sound on SOA in EV.

Yea and I'm really pissed about this.

Just got 714k in a full voidstar while i usually get 800k+ if its both sides full time

I can confirm this... The crisp, clear beep sound that lets you know EMP connected is now gone. The sound effect sounds muffled and distant.

What's weird is that Kolto Jolt, which shared the same sound effect, remains the same.

I'm sincerely hoping this is a bug. If not, it unfortunately rounds out an extremely lackluster sound and animation set for the Sawbones when compared to the Medicine Operative...

Yeah, mess around with weeklies and dailies last night, didn't really notice it in the dailies until I started doing a HMFP. I kept hitting Emergency Medpacs on one person thinking it wasn't going off, Wasted all 3 upper hands before I looked to see he was at 100% health. Glad it was in a HMFP and not in HMEC.

I want my sound back...:p

Yeah, strange thing is that other classes got to keep theirs. Powertechs still giggle when they proc a Rail Shot reset. How is that any different than giggling while you cheerily pistol whip someone?

PS: Sorry for going off topic in this thread.

Edited by NurseDonut

Emergency Medpack's sound is the same as the Operative's equivalent now.

No, it isn't. With the sound change, the two aren't even CLOSE.

I've played a Medicine Op and Sawbones Scoundrel extensively since launch. While the lack of polish and detail with the Sawbones animations is a bit frustrating compared to the Operative, this recent change to Emergency Medpac presents a very fundamental problem for healers.

1. The sound effect for Surgical Probe has a much higher pitch; it's easy to hear regardless of what's going on. Emergency Medpac's sound is muffled, distant, and easily overpowered by other sounds. The new sound is essentially a muffled "woosh" sound followed by a distant, typically very quiet "beep." Compare this to a companion medic's Kolto Jolt ability, which still retains the crisp, clear activation sound.

2. Surgical Probe's activation animation noticeably alters your player's pose, regardless of movement state. It's an obvious visual cue. Emergency Medpac's animation is often clipped by movement, prior ability use, or animation bugs. ALL Scoundrel heals use the SAME ACTIVATION ANIMATION, and Scoundrels will often become animation bugged during combat, forcing them to retain this pose for a period of time.

3. Surgical Probe has a conspicuous impact animation. Emergency Medpac does not, UNLESS its cast directly on the player. In that case, yes, it does have a conspicuous impact animation.

Unlike the other Smuggler sound changes where most objections boil down to loss of enjoyment, the change to Emergency Medpac removed the ability's ONLY distinct audiovisual cue. It is absolutely NOT the same as the Operative's Surgical Probe.

Edited by HansBrolo

All of the above makes the Scoundrel heals harder to detect than the Ops'. Seems good, you know when your heal went off because you can see yur target's health....

Except the 1000s of times when your heal of roughly 1.6k (emergency medpack) gets cancelled by an opponent dealing around 1.6k damage at the same moment and the Hp of the target doesn't change. Happens very very often

1. The sound effect for Surgical Probe has a much higher pitch; it's easy to hear regardless of what's going on. Emergency Medpac's sound is muffled, distant, and easily overpowered by other sounds. The new sound is essentially a muffled "woosh" sound followed by a distant, typically very quiet "beep."

I wonder.... if you turn down your game sounds, you might be able to hear the sound....

Edited by Thorriin

Everyone should just get used to the change and stop whining about it... if you can't hear it, watch your stacks of UH and see if you lost one or not... Not really a hard thing to get used to...

Who is whining about anything? Personally I just wanted to know if it is a intentional nerf or just a bug nerf because there is no question it is a nerf. Is it a huge deal, no, but it does make the game less enjoyable and makes me more likely to play my Agent over my smuggler since the imp side clearly has the advantage here and in equipment.

I spent around 12 months on this toon counting that I played on 99.99999% the same in beta. Yes, I will get use to the change, but I would like people to honest and up front with me and say we are nerfing yout class because this or that, especially when the exact same class on the other side does not get nerfed.

and NO game volume does not help. It is drouwned out and unhearable in any group fight.

Edited by mikebevo

Everyone should just get used to the change and stop whining about it... if you can't hear it, watch your stacks of UH and see if you lost one or not... Not really a hard thing to get used to...

I think you're confusing whining with reporting a legitimate gameplay problem.

I would challenge you to look at every single other heal in the game for their audiovisual cues. I've seen all of them, and they all have distinct cues that are either audio or visual. The Smuggler is the only class in the game that uses the exact same activation animation for every single heal, and Emergency Medpac is the now only instant heal in the game with both an inconspicuous activation animation AND sound effect.

Compare Emergency Medpac to the Bounty Hunter's Emergency Scan. Emergency Scan's activation animation can be easily clipped by movement, but the impact animation is blatantly obvious. Further compare it to the Sage's new Force Mend ability. Force Mend has virtually no sound effect (much like Emergency Medpac), but is has a VERY obvious impact animation (and, as I established above, Emergency Medpac does not).

You're right—watching the Upper Hand count does work. Unfortunately, it's now the only reliable way to tell if the ability has connected.

And that's where the problem lies.

Animations and audio cues matter, Thorriin. If they didn't, we'd all still be playing text-based MUDs.

Edited by HansBrolo

Except the 1000s of times when your heal of roughly 1.6k (emergency medpack) gets cancelled by an opponent dealing around 1.6k damage at the same moment and the Hp of the target doesn't change. Happens very very often

You also send out a little black tendril-spike and I believe your target briefly glows green. Dunno, never had trouble knowing when an ability went off, especially since it's not like it can be interrupted... Minor issue, but they certainly need to stop screwing with our sound effects.

You also send out a little black tendril-spike and I believe your target briefly glows green

You just reinforced up my entire point. It's an unmemorable, unremarkable, inconspicuous animation. Additionally, EMP's activation animation (like all other Scoundrel heal animations--they're all the same) can often be clipped by movement or prior animations.

Compare that to Emergency Scan, etc.

Edited by HansBrolo