Moral Choices (JK Spoiler)

Raikren

Been playing through as my Jedi Guardian, and a bit frustrated with some of my moral choices. I know that light side options generally have the same sort of direction and path, but I'm a bit annoyed that I get less points just for certain actions. E.G

*SPOILER*

The moral choice after you fight Power Guard Galen had me confused, told him there was still hope left and when he asked me to kill him I said I wouldn't execute him and that it wasn't the right thing to do. Then I find out that asking him to fight the Sith was the apparent "lighter" choice, even though I didn't thnnk it was right, almost taking advantage of his state.

I'd like to hear some of your thoughts on this, all replies welcome :)

This game has problems with its allocation of dark and light side points.

I, too have a Guardian, but the Rep Light Side choices were mostly straight forward and easy to follow, even if you don't really agree with them all the time.

Dark Side is worse. You get Light Side points for really bad stuff. Example:

Inquisitor Story, Nar Shadda: you can choose to become the Savior and Messiah of the sick and poor, exploiting them to your ends or you choose to kill some gangsters. Why the hell is tricking people into worshipping you light side?

It seems every dark side user has to be a rampaging, mass murdering lunatic. Dark Side choices often reek of insanity

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it, and I agree that this is one of the flaws of an otherwise great game. Seems that on some of these parts the writers may have had a bad day at the office. And you have piqued my interest into trying out the Sith, even just to see these parts. Will be continuing my Guardian though.

As a sith, you get lightside points for not slaughtering people, slaughter being the norm. I can't remember the exact alternatives in the mentioned inquisitor choice, but it's usually a lighter shade of gray thing, but often mitigates another kind of harm. For instance, in that choice,

with control of the group, you also have a measure of control of the streets of Nar Shaddaa. You can use that to create order with the bonus of keeping the idiots from falling into some less benign street gang. Not perfect jedi lightside, but fine in a sith.

With the mentioned jedi choice, you're giving a hopeless man purpose and desire to keep on fighting the good fight. The alternative is to risk him taking his own life if you don't.

Edited by errant_knight

Thanks for the reply. I understand your viewpoint, however differing perspectives will mean there will always be a clash over this sort of choice. I saw it as almost exploitation, Galen had gone through enough and I wanted him to go sit this one out while I dealt with the Sith threat and we tried to find a way to reverse what had happened. It didn't feel right to ask him to keep fighting and I certainly wasn't going to execute the man. I wanted to be the one with the responsibility, and that option didn't sit right to me.

Same with Watcher One. I wanted to arrest him because allowing him to walk away freely didn't feel right. He was too dangerous and unpredictable. However according to the game he becomes a gente soul after he departs, swearing never to kill again and become just another citizen of the Republic and yaddah yaddah yaddah.

Yeah, it's a matter of perspective, because in the example from the agent story given, I was very pleased with that choice. To my agent,

Watcher One was an honourable man doing his best for the empire while trying to avoid the excesses demanded by the sith, not always successfully. In that regard, my agent felt a certain kinship and that was exactly what he wanted to do.

I wish there were four or five choices, rather than three, which would allow for more variation, but that would have increased the expense of the voice acting a great deal, so I get why there aren't. That's the trade-off that occurs in a voice acted game, but the acting is so very good in this one, I can accept it. Admittedly, in terms of my characters, they got it right more often than they didn't.

Edited by errant_knight

Helping the two Jedi lovers on Tython hide their relationship? I can understand getting darkside points for it, but going the whole way through gets you 100, which is more than I've got for cold-blooded murder.

And I don't understand why you get DS points on Ord Mantell for returning the stolen medicine to the army, thereby saving people who were about to die if you didn't.