Video Card question

Grendel_Prime

Wasn't sure where to put this.

My video card decided to not want to work anymore (GeForce 8800GT) and I have just slightly north of $0 for replacing it:(

I can get a Sapphire HD 5450 512MB for $40 but was wondering if anyone knew anything about the card's performance.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

So I ended up with a GeForce GT 610. Trying to tweak the settings but nothing from low to high seems to do anything for the FPS.

This is what I have

GPU - GeForce GT 610

CPU - Phenom II Black 6 Core 3.0 Ghz

RAM - 4GB DDR3

OS - Windows 7 64 bit.

I can't seem to get above 18fps, which is what I was getting with onboard graphics.

May want to try different drivers, and research the interwebz on if any one in particular is best with TOR.

I'm running a gtx 560 ti superclocked. Two of the big game updates created silly fps issues, so for one I updated to a newer driver and the another had to roll back to an older one.

Edited by Joesixxpack

Unfortunately, you didn't buy a gaming graphics card. You bought a general computing card. It's great for running desktop applications, it's ok for doing media decoding and DVD playback, but it's barely passable for gaming. Meaning, the game will run, but not well.

For nVidia and their current numbering scheme, the gaming cards all end in numbers over 50. So cards like a 520, 510, 540, 610, etc are all media and general computing cards. Cards like a 560, 580, 670, 690, etc are all gaming cards.

ATI cards are similar, but use the hundred's digit to indicate what kind of card it is. The 5450 is a high-end media card, but a very low-end gaming card. The 6570 is a low end gaming card, but is definitely more capable than a 5450 or a 6450. I know several people who are using 6670 cards for gaming because it has good performance for budget prices. You can usually get them for in the $70 range, depending on brand and manufacturer options. Some are as low as $50.

• 1 month later...

Okay been a while since I posted and the advice I got was awesome, if too late (my bad).

It seems I may be able to swing a Sapphire Radeon 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E Video Card (HD7750). Is that any good (by which I mean decent). Still limited budget and I'll admit that the numbering system confuses the crap out of me.