Class Feedback

I play lethality spec.

Other classes, if they know what they are doing, usually understand damage potential and try to use appropriate counters (los, dispel, defensive CDs). I think other classes (or players behind them) find snipers and lethality snipers quite dangerous, but not the main treat, opposite to pyrotechs/smash bombers.

I think my spec (lethality), after recent buffs (lingering toxins) is quite good and well suited to do damage. What is dissapointing, trainable assasin ability - force shroud, prevents reapplying of the dots after initial removal thus nullifying completely high tired and newly introduced talent "lingering toxins".

Edited by BambulaGTS

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. How do you think your Sniper spec is perceived by other classes?

2. How do you perceive your own spec?

Please answer the post using the same format and in no more than 2-3 sentences per question.

1. Static dd. Can interrupt and has a nice shield for the whole group.

2. My spec = Marksman spec, because that is closest to what I want to play as a sniper.

35 meter range is not that much for a sniper but I understand that it is not more for gameplay reasons.

However all abilites need to have that range otherwise it does not make that much sense to me.

Sniper energy management is very unforgiving , a better / an additional energy recover mechnism would be

nice. ( like the bounty hunter improved vents or thermal overrides)

I don't like the abilities that trigger und enter cover. It would be nice if those retrigger automatically without having

to get up every 6 seconds.

The new sound effects were a step into the right direction as the attacks now feel more powerful.

1. I think people see my Sniper as a squishy aggro magnet that tends to "roll for cover" near the next group of enemies :D

2. In a party, I love my Sniper. Lots of fun, cool rotations and variety of abilities, very well balanced, very high DPS too though. When I solo with my Sniper, I hate it. Same feeling when I go 1 on 1 in PvP, although that is not as frequent cause I can adjust this through playstyle. Questing solo is a problem in comparison to other classes due to low(er) survivalability.

Spec: 31/7/2 Marksman, dabbled a bit with lethality

For pvp, perception is you can not leave them alone to free cast or your healers will be dead. Probably one of the biggest single target burst. For pve, a very mobility-poor high dps ranged class with some nice utility (sniper shield)

A relatively stationary ranged dps class with some mobility options but preference is to stay in cover. Seems to have surprisingly better survivability than other stationary ranged dps specs (arsenal merc / lightning sorc).

Marksman

1. How do you think your Sniper spec is perceived by other classes? Great DPS, some decent utility. Ranged dps is great for raids, mobility can be tricky.

A ton of abilities to use, overwhelming at first, but once you get the hang of it there's an ability for almost every situation. Fantastic damage. Survival can be tough at times, but between cover pulse, shield evasion, leg shot, ambush knockback, 30m flashbang, diversion and debilitate there are plenty of options.

Edited by whimsyontap

Marksman:

1. Underpowered because of too much mitigation (Defense/shielding) in PvP. Decent in PvE, but inferior to Lethality DPS. Cover is looked at as a negative, this causes many to ask for cover-less builds, i.g. Lethality and Hybrids, especially in PvP.

2. I mainly play MM in both PvE and PvP. It is more challenging to play MM to it's potential, compared to Lethality which is much easier and forgiving due to it's relatively simple rotation and forgiving nature of DoTs. As a Min/Max MM I'm topping the charts in both PvE and PvP and find the play style more rewarding than the other two specs. Changes made in 1.3 was more or less welcome. Not at all inferior to Lethality in PvE, but could use a slight buff; 15% more armor penetration/or short DoT on certain skills and improved PvE set bonus would go a long way. Not an immobile spec like many uninformed people like to think.

Engineer:

1. The unknown spec, but I've seen more demand for Engineers in ranked PvP lately. Probably a very misunderstood spec by most non snipers. Priority target in Novare and Voidstar.

2. Fun and challenging to play! Lacking in on demand burst between Explosive Probe. Better damage against heavily armored targets in PvP than MM and very mobile, more so than Lethality. The spec is a bit too clunky to play, I should pick up some piano lessons to improve my Eng gameplay :o

Lethality:

1. Be all end all Sniper spec! You're a newb if you're not playing Lethality as a Sniper. Huge numbers in PvP and PvE. Almost OP in PvE ops and a tank killer in PvP.

2. The easy spec to play, skill priorities doesn't require much brain power :p This is why many have more success with Lethality than the two other specs, while in reality all 3 specs, over all, are very close to each other. Not as mobile as people think it is. Slightly ahead of MM in Ops, but it is really more of a player skill difference than spec imbalance.

So, buff MM and Engineer 3-5%, keep Lethality as is ^^ I like all 3 specs, great job on the Sniper class!

1. Non-snipers, for the most part, just think of snipers as those annoying little guys sitting up on the catwalks and occasionally critting you for half your health. Lethality snipers are even frequently confused for operatives when they adopt a more run-and-gun playstyle. Lots of non-snipers still don't know that Entrench is complete immunity to all CC. More knowledgeable players -- maybe those who have sniper alts or who play with sniper friends -- are aware of some of the ability names and drawbacks for snipers as a class (like bugs with hard cover, or that breaking LoS is killer), but very few know about the finer points. Hell, even...

2. Snipers themselves, who play the class as a main, generally still are unaware of some of the details -- details like how the diminishing returns on stats work, which abilities are mitigated by armor or by defense, or sometimes even what defense means. There are some snipers who are aware of these kinds of details, but there are many more who are not, and these uninformed players go on making very incorrect gearing or gameplay decisions which cause them to perform very poorly compared to those who do know, and they lose enjoyment from the game.

Lack of information isn't unique to snipers. In my opinion, there should be much greater effort from BioWare to promote an informed player base. Since launch, there has been almost no forthcoming of information regarding class design decisions or game mechanics. This leads to rampant misinformation belittling of the work that is done by the game developers. Fostering a more knowledgeable community will, I think, lead to much more useful communication between players and developers on the forums and in other game feedback, and in the end lead to a better game.

1) Best range dps, tones of stuns, advantage of anchors and cover to shut down much dps and utility ability's of other classes. Only comparison as far as group value as a dps is an marauder. First choice as ranged dps for pvp, vary's for pve. Nothing worth while that a merc can do in dps that a sniper cannot do better, better survivability than a sorc with better burst damage.

2) feel that this class is the strongest ranged dps, mercs don't even really count in comparison. No complaints about this class besides the fact that were casting time class (interrupt) and often targeted before the other ranged dps (where i feel like it should be a class that wait for more opportune moments to pick off people, which we would if they were paying any attention to the other ranged dps as a threat). Sort of wish that the class had a few more unique ability's or more range.

Engineering I thought was fun, but isn't really viable for pvp or pve as it is now, the other specs are played often (2 too 3 in the average pvp) but an Engineer you might see 1 in every 1000 pvp you'd play. Just isn't currently as good as the other to specs in survivability, dps, or team play. Needs more mobility and dps for sure.

Edited by Omicrie

• 4 weeks later...

For information I've played all three specs and I am a pure pvp'er

How other classes see snipers:

We're hated because and I quote "they hurt like hell". However we're also extremely squishy, hence when one of us shows up we're immediately targeted. One former guild member that I respect who no longer plays the game stated "whatever class you play if you don't know how to take down a sniper then you're not much of a pvp'er". As we're so squishy we are way down the pecking order when it comes to ranked warzones. The extreme squishyness of our class is seen as a severe disadvantage when there are other classes who can survive longer and deal out far more damage. Engineering might be good for surviving longer and AOE damage but that means you are a good cc/stun breaker so if your team plays well by utilising stuns/cc to achieve objectives then thats not a good thing.

How I perceive my class spec:

Generally I see us as not being able to shell out the kind of damage a pyro or marauder can at the same consistent level. It's just not going to happen, when I show my face I'm very quickly targetted. Sure you can use your cc abilites but sooner or later you have to move, you have no other option and that's when they'll have you. The Entrench ability is nice sure but once that's done we're dead easy to get out of cover and that normally means death. It's important to note that I'm only talking about good players.

Saying that average players will make your warzone experience a pain causing you to cc and survive more than dps'ing. We have great utility regarding that crowd control but I believe it to be under the radar by a lot of people.

Marksman:

Nice burst and a good spec for 1 on 1 encounters. Follow through is the only decent ability/skill you get to use as the others, for me, just don't quite cut it. Sure the diversion is nice against other snipers but otherwise I don't care for it much. Sniper volley, it's not something I tend to use. Series of shots is a great skill but it's surprising the amount of times people LOS it which means you've just wasted a few important seconds, volley is useful but compared to the other top spec skills it's not that good. It's nice fun spec but against heavy armour dudes the kinetic damage just don't cut it. Will do less damage than a properly played lethality spec.

Lethality:

A hard spec to use properly due to energy management. When you start cull decent pvp'ers LOS which means you either have to switch target and start the rotation again which hurts your energy or try and reaquire your target which then makes you vulnerable. High mobility due to not having to use cover for cull. Seen by far as being the only proper spec to have for pvp. A sniper that's left the game once said that for ranked warzones although he preferred marksman he was forced to go lethality because of the amount of heavy armour classes you come across. Internal damage in that respect will always be much greater than kinetic.

The big problem i had with this spec is I also felt the most squishy. I had real problems surviving against players of every class who knew what they were doing.

Enegineering:

By far the most lethal for 1 on 1 encounters if you have all your cooldowns.

By far the most fun class to play. Was told by a guild member when she was on her rep alt with some friends that I was not just a good player but a great player. Sure that's nice to hear but it goes to show how many people don't understand that engineering has by far the best survivability within the game. When she told me that she didn't know that I had changed spec. I can last much longer than the other 2 specs combined. However if you play in a team that utilises crowd control and stuns to win warzones then that's a lot of damage you can't dish out and the 30 secs on explosive probe is very limiting.

To put it simply, the Engineering spec is a hidden gem that's often overlooked, misunderstood but also highly limited in damage depending on how your team plays

Can get extremely high damage with the aid of AOE but again that simply makes you a target. Players who know what they're doing will come straight at you as soon as the plasma probe is dropped, especially if it's covering a turret/door. It's a great way to make yourself known!

• 1 month later...

1. Easy kill, sometimes left for last, but when left untouched, a deadly foe.

2. Been trying all the specs, and Engineer feels nice. I have to commend you for all three specs. First class I've played that I've really considered going down each. I hate playing ranged classes, especially immobile ones, but I love sniper. A few suggestions would be a cloak of some kind, like the Marauder's stealth, or maybe make cover passively camo or see through? It's annoying to have a bright red shield. If neither of those, give snipers someway to escape or hide themselves better. We are like a ranged stealth class. We HAVE to be kept alone, or we're cooked. I love that, I think it makes the game more enjoyable, trying to find a secret location to obliterate from, but we need something to conceal ourselves better for PvP. Also, give us a heal-over-time attached or something, even a light one, or on a long CD, just something we can use if we're getting focused down.

1:

I believe people see snipers as a priority target most of times. lately in rated I have noticed that the good teams my guild plays have started to leave me alone for a little longer trying to remove our Pyro's and smash Jugga first.

Makes sence i guess, since im playing engineer my burst is only really strong every 30 sec, whilst the others have better sustained dps if left alone.

2:

Playing engineering sniper because i enjoy the potential in smaller fights. If i loose a 1 vs 1 its agianst people who can and has time to kite me around for some time, or in rare occations assassins or Marauders who know when to use their defensive cd's - But in general i feel extremly powerfull, 2 shields, roots, snares, knockback, and insane burst. Without a doubt 1 of the best 1 vs 1 classes in game.

In rated my role is usually to lockdown 1 healer whilst rest of dps shifts between none guarded targets. The range on our interupt is long, + plasma probe stun basically adds 1 more ranged interupt. locking down turrets in novarre to prevent ninja caps with plasma probe is also a nice utility that comes from engineer tree.

All in all an extremely fun class in PvP - I have no clue about PvE so cant comment on that :)

Made a video recently to show some sniper PvP gameplay, seemed like there was a shortage.

Whasp

ToFN

I play a hybrid Marksmanship/Engineering 25/16/0 in PvP almost exclusively.

1. I feel other players respect the burst dps that comes from the explosive probes of engineering and the quicker Series of Shots/Snipe + Ambush + Followthrough combo allowed by Marksmanship. However our ability to disengage is severely limited meaning 1v1 we're awesome, and in large groups when left alone we rock, but they just need someone persistent or to focus us down to take us out of the fight completely. Our lack of mobility and general 'squishyness' makes us less valuable than another Marauder or PT on a ranked team.

Edit: oh, and most people who don't play snipers don't understand our mechanics or abilities beyond the damage they suffer form them.

2. I enjoy the class, however the inability to escape a fight annoys me to no end. Every other class aside from Merc (which most pvpers avoid already) and PT (which has heavy armor and a self heal) has some kind of effective escape maneuver. Not so with us snipers, meaning once we're on the ropes, we'd better pop our DOTS and just shoot till we die (which doesn't take long).

Edited by StarSquirrel

After a roundtrip through the other specs, i am back at MM.

1. I think we are viewed as something annoying, but easy to kill and easier to avoid. Priority 2 to deal with, after healers but before tanks. Cover, entrench and legshot are probaly our most annoying skills to deal with.

2. I like my damage output against the softer targets, but feel it is way to low against tankier people. Too much

absorb, deflects and dodge, and the hits that goes through doesn't do enough damage to matter much. I like the playstyle of MM, but feel like i am more useful to my team with engineering spec and plasma probe.

sniper marksman is a easy kill dies in 3 to 4 hits , dosent do alot of damage , to easy to stop and lock down . when i play a jedi or sith snipers is my first kill to get points, easy, no hard time fighting them.

shilds dosent last or dosent work and you die in 3 to 4 hits, takes to long to fire our main hits, damage against jedi or sith is realy piss poor i cant match them in any way i try , rifle shot is piss poor on damage per hit, our knock back is telegraphed we are the only ones that has to stop and kneel to set it off by that time everyones out of the way, would like to see snipers get cloke to sit and fire from and they wont see you till there 10 feet in front of you not the neon red shild saying hay im here firing at you,

• 2 weeks later...

I play mainly in pvp - 75% of time with some time in pve opps.

I am MM tree specced.

1) Most others only fear us if left alone, once they clock us they can quite easily keep us in respawn area, Alot of our combo's are eaily avoided with los, and too much white damage.

2) i love my spec and even though i die alot when focussed i still love it, what i would like to see is those white numbers changed for the better, ambush casting time decreased, and better surviablility when we out of cover, once we pulled out of cover dead in 2 secs b4 we can even refocus and regroup.

I beleive the MM spec is the true sniper approach and feel of a sniper, the dps needs to be more inline with the dps of ee/leth builds and i would bet you would see increase people using mm.

First off is Marksman (*Link to specc*) that I use mostly when doing warzones (both normal and ranked).

As a real threat, a MM can burst out high DPS without having to worry much about getting dots cleans or having trouble with changing targets quickly. Last patch we got a buff that made followthrough usable after takedown and that helps a lot when handling low-health enemies or targets that are on the run from you. In ranked warzones I have noticed that more teams have a sniper and most are Engineering or Marksman specc.

However most close-range (and some mid-range) DPS classes think that we have to much pushbacks, I do know that we lack a lot of mobility and that MM specced Snipers (that got the highest amount of pushbacks) are the most unmobile, but still, in a 1v1 without any LOS objects, we are a very good class 1v1.

I do think that I have to many pushbacks and that a marksman sniper have it to easy to shift target in midfight without having to worry to much about lost DPS because of having to put up dots and stuff like that. Regarding pushbacks I, as I said before, know that it's mostly we MM snipers, but I do think that something should be done. Maybe I would buff some of our damage attacks and remove some pushback talent in order to even the odds a little, as of now I should have about 4-5 interrupts (normal+pushbacks+stun) and that is quite a lot when fighting a mid/close-range enemy.

• 2 weeks later...

I play the engineering spec and I think other classes think my classes is annoying and easy to kill. I think they also think that plasma probe is overpowered but by now they know if they take me out my plasma probe goes *POOF*. Other classes know we are easy to find because the roll into cover mechanic doesnt work as it should and cover in place is a joke because cover and most of our other defensive abilities broadcast our location to everyone in the warzone.

I enjoy playing the engineering spec because of the utility and I also enjoy playing the marksman spec but the marksman spec is worthless against heavy armor targets. Firstly, I feel engineering spec is the most useful of all the specs but explosive probe has too long of a cool down. Plus, the role of a sniper is to inflict damage from a GREAT distance without being noticed. Instead, snipers have neon signs letting the opposition know exaclty where we are. Our cover has red netting and blinking lights. That is ridiculous. The marksman spec should have the ability to stealth while immobile and not in combat. It could be called tech camoflage. Marksman snipers should be able to inflict threatning damage to heavy armor wearers.

Kaliber LVL 50 Eng Sniper - The Shadowlands

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I use MM most of the time but i can switch to lethality if there's too many tanks in a WZ.

I'm a well known sniper on my server, mostly by other imps because i'm probably the best at the moment. People are always like ''nice Crystal is on our team, she's the best dps'' or '' Damn, Crystal is on the other team, kill her first'' but i'm pretty sure they think i'm an easy kill because of the lack of defensive cooldowns, specially against melee dps.

In my opinion, all this accuracy, defense, tech/force abilities never missing, kinetic/internal/elemental damage should be reviewed.

MM is 90% white damage, this means you need accuracy while you could stack way better stats, still, this accuracy is just going to be enough so you never miss but people will be able to dodge you. I won't be able to hit a shadow tank with his defensive cooldowns for sure. Vanguard tanks will take a 1.2k crit ambush while a sage will take a 5.8k crit from it.

A merc or a sage don't need accuracy because most of their attacks are tech/force so Evasion is not very useful against them, well used you can dodge the Hunter's unload or the warrior's ravage and any MM attack.

Plus with gear getting better and better, damage reduction is getting higher from kinetic damage only but internal damage resistance is not getting any buff, giving another reason to roll lethality instead of MM in the future.

Final thing, is it me or Cover Pulse doesn't act like any other classes pushback, other abilities send you slightly in the air over obstacles but Cover Pulse don't. It just makes you slide on the ground, there's no way you can send someone in the acid pit in Huttball like that.

If you want any other advice ask me, i play sniper since lunch and i rock with it.

I think most of the other classes perceive us as dangerous if left alone and if we have a place not easily seen in pvp a dangerous threat. As such many want us nerfed when they face those of us that shoot from places not easily seen.

In pvp I see us as a support role we do decent damage (atleast in the MM tree which I play) but are rather squishy compared to say the force using dps classes which seem to soak more damage with lighter armor. A good sniper in pvp tends to get mobbed.

• 2 weeks later...

From personal experience and others sniper is less appealing because it isn't as shiny as a force lightning sith. It seems boring to others because it's a turret class. It needs something to make the class shiny I guess. A wow factor more or less

I like it in PvE I'm pretty well rounded and covered. PvP is decent until you get focused so you alot so spend alot of time respawning. We're really bad if out of cover and always need to find a new spot to hide and set up which is a major downside.

Edited by Deathen_Shada