Credit Seller Spam is Getting Worse Lately

Aristeed

I don't think it's just me that's noticing it. I report and ignore each time, but they are getting more prolific recently. There are bots that spam it in general and in say by the galactic markets every few seconds, at least on Ebon Hawk.

Just my 2 cents requesting Bioware make a special push soon to squash these guys.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it's just me that's noticing it. I report and ignore each time, but they are getting more prolific recently. There are bots that spam it in general and in say by the galactic markets every few seconds, at least on Ebon Hawk.

Just my 2 cents requesting Bioware make a special push soon to squash these guys.

Well, that's one of the consequences of f2p accounts. I usually only see it from time to time on the starter planet and here and there on the fleet. Considering other games I've played with f2p accounts this game still does really well I feel. Try a f2p game and see if you still think it's so bad here.

Yeh BW did screw up last year and f2p with the cm did save this game, but I wish it'd never come to this. Subs aren't just a form of payment but also a protection for the game and players when it comes to gold seller activity.

That's why f2p accounts have a credit cap and cannot queue crafting orders. It's all to make sure the gold sellers don't get much of a chance.

But one thing...it's xmas time and I am sure they are working on skeletal crew at the moment. Sad but true but these days are probably the easiest days for gold sellers.

One thing I have noticed is that there is almost no point to reporting them

When I report one I always put them on ignore right after and 9 times out of 10 when I do it states that there is no such player.

What I think they are doing is they create a new player, log in to the starter planet, spam chat once and then log out and delete the player.

They do that over and over with nonsensical names.

Personally I don't care much since I doubt anyone buys from them. Credits are easy enough to get in-game and you can't really do much with them at low levels (at least not starter planets levels since you don't even know what's on the GTN at that point).

I've noticed this too, and it's annoying and i've reported them several times.

Though being a founder and seeing this game go through it's ups and downs, it is good to see people are doing this. I take it as a sign of life for the game, and a sign that it is actually fairly popular. It's still annoying, but that's just my two cents.

One thing I have noticed is that there is almost no point to reporting them

When I report one I always put them on ignore right after and 9 times out of 10 when I do it states that there is no such player.

What I think they are doing is they create a new player, log in to the starter planet, spam chat once and then log out and delete the player.

They do that over and over with nonsensical names.

Personally I don't care much since I doubt anyone buys from them. Credits are easy enough to get in-game and you can't really do much with them at low levels (at least not starter planets levels since you don't even know what's on the GTN at that point).

I'm not sure about the starter planet spam, but fleet chat (Jedi Covenant, at least) is definitely getting worse. When I report/ignore those guys, I don't get the "no such player" message. I guess it takes more effort to get a toon to fleet, so maybe they aren't immediately deleting themselves there.

Regardless, it's pretty annoying. It's almost always the same message/verbiage/site that's being promoted, just by dozens and dozens of different "players". I agree, they can't be selling much. So I can't figure out how all of this could possibly be worth their time.

Report, Ignore, Move on.

Takes less than 15 seconds and you'll never hear from that character again.

Personally, I'm less annoyed by the occasional credit seller spam than all the LFGroup/Guild, WTS/WTB spam that fills up the chat box faster than any credit spammer does.

What I find funny is two of the games I think are the easiest to make money (TOR being one of the two), that they get the most gold farming broadcasts in general chat. I guess that's a sign that people aren't going to websites searching for gold to buy with real money so they have to go in the game to broadcast it.

I've noticed this as well. It used to just be on the starter planets but I've started to notice them on the fleet and elsewhere like in the last month or so. It's not just because there has been a switch to ftp because it has been a recent development.

Stupid credit spammers. Yesterday I made a mill IN A DAY from selling items in chat, do I look like I need to go so a website that probably has a virus that will **** my computer just to waste my money buying credits that are very easy to farm in this game!?!

Same on shadowlands. Very rarely would you see them on the fleet and now it's like there is always one. Just one for the same website. 8.2 dollars, what a rip off

who would be dumb enough to spend money buying credits from a possibly virus-infested website for a game where it is EXTREMELY EASY to make credits!:rak_02:

I've noticed this as well. It used to just be on the starter planets but I've started to notice them on the fleet and elsewhere like in the last month or so. It's not just because there has been a switch to ftp because it has been a recent development.

It still has to do with f2p accounts. The recent development might just be a matter of there being less monitoring around the holidays or simply that the reporting is working too well for them on the starter planets so they've gone to the next best place, the fleet. The recent double xp event might've helped them quickly level to 10 as well. It's just the nature of gold sellers.

This all didn't happen before F2P accounts. In the first year I got like 1 message per mail. Never saw a gold seller in chat. Since F2P it's started. Still even with F2P there are remarkably few gold sellers in comparison to other F2P games I've played before. Even Aion before it went F2P constantly had gold sellers in the main hubs.

who would be dumb enough to spend money buying credits from a possibly virus-infested website for a game where it is EXTREMELY EASY to make credits!:rak_02:

You overestimate mankind. Especially the combination of dumb, impulsive and lazy is a real winner.

Better question would be why risk shady websites when Cartel Market can practically be your reliable cash-to-credits tool lol, tons of people do it like that

Because of the 7 deadly sins, particularly sloth and greed. 8 dollars is about 5 Euros for 1 million credits. If you buy stuff via the cartel market it's more expensive than that. That amount buys you 1.5 cartel packs basically.

Now I am not saying it's a good idea. I am against gold sellers and I don't send my bank details when I get an email from Nigeria telling me they have 200 million dollars for me, but apparently some people do because otherwise they wouldn't do it anymore.

So why are people so stupid to fall for these things? Because people are people and they do really dumb things. You'd be surprised how easy it is to entice people just with the promise of big amounts of cash or credits. It's sad but it's out there.

Personally, I'm less annoyed by the occasional credit seller spam than all the LFGroup/Guild, WTS/WTB spam that fills up the chat box faster than any credit spammer does.

Yes, general chat must be kept clear for important things like "Where's the bounty dude?" and "When do I learn force choke?"

:rolleyes:

Edited by branmakmuffin

Because of the 7 deadly sins, particularly sloth and greed. 8 dollars is about 5 Euros for 1 million credits. If you buy stuff via the cartel market it's more expensive than that. That amount buys you 1.5 cartel packs basically.

Now I am not saying it's a good idea. I am against gold sellers and I don't send my bank details when I get an email from Nigeria telling me they have 200 million dollars for me, but apparently some people do because otherwise they wouldn't do it anymore.

So why are people so stupid to fall for these things? Because people are people and they do really dumb things. You'd be surprised how easy it is to entice people just with the promise of big amounts of cash or credits. It's sad but it's out there.

that's what I call being LAZY, which falls under your sloth category. If you run Black hole, Section X, CZ-198, Oricon, and some dailies and weeklies, all of which don't take a long time to do, then you become a millionaire easy, half an hour in the Black Hole is 100k alone!

Edited by Sangrar

It still has to do with f2p accounts. The recent development might just be a matter of there being less monitoring around the holidays or simply that the reporting is working too well for them on the starter planets so they've gone to the next best place, the fleet. The recent double xp event might've helped them quickly level to 10 as well. It's just the nature of gold sellers.

This all didn't happen before F2P accounts. In the first year I got like 1 message per mail. Never saw a gold seller in chat. Since F2P it's started. Still even with F2P there are remarkably few gold sellers in comparison to other F2P games I've played before. Even Aion before it went F2P constantly had gold sellers in the main hubs.

The only reason why F2P accounts have anything to do with this situation at all is because F2P brought higher server populations. You're right in that before F2P we didn't see it much but that's because servers were dead in the past. Gold spammers aren't around nearly as much for games that no one plays.

Staying on topic though, I think there are many reasons as to why we are seeing more gold spammers recently. One is higher populations. Another is the fact that there are less employees working and monitoring this action during the holidays. On top of that, I'm willing to bet gold spammers know that no one is watching and they are even more aggressive in chat. Idk just my two cents.