Vector Hyllis: Worst Romance Ever

Reluctance

Ok, I'll admit I am seriously creeped out about this.

Like, gigantic Can O'Raid, supersized Bug Zapper, running screaming battlecries while armed with a mighty flyswatter KILL-ALL-THE-BUGS creeped out.

I don't really want to level my IA any longer. I definitely won't be romancing this guy, and not only that, I don't even want him as a companion.

BUGS.

Yeeuch.

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was sooooo excited about romances in this game. I love Alistair in DAO and I even suffered through the whining of Anders is DA2. I was so excited to see who would be my next experience. I jumped to alderaan early just to meet my romanceable character.

ONLY TO FIND OUT HE IS A BUGMAN

Srsly? A bug man? what the whaaat!!!! I am a girl, I dont like bugs and I dont like men who are basically a skin over a bug. I frantically searched the internet to check, he must cease being a bugman at some point right????? BIOWARE WOULD NOT FORCE THIS ON ME RIGHT?!?!?!

WRONG

I am so severely disapointed. I thought about dropping my agent all together. The one romance i get is the worst. Boys get to choose Kaliyo or someone else. And I get a real creep. When are same sex relationships coming out? I would rather have anyone than this freak.

I don't need him to fart lasers and burp rainbows, it'd just be nice if he wasn't, you know, an entity forever connected to a hivemind of ants.

First time I tried to flirt with him he asked me if I would like to rub forearms with him.

I rest my case.

*chokes and dies*

Are you serious?! xD Please tell me this is serious. As sarcasm it is funny, if it's true it is HILARIOUS.

I'm very fond of Kaliyo and would rather romance her than anyone else. I can't wait till same gender romance is available! :) I swear she flirts with me already.

Oh geez, you guys are ridiculous. I'm a girl gamer but I don't give two ***** about the romances. If they're there, cool, I'll do them. If they're not very good on one class I'll just start leveling another in a while. Want a good romance? Watch Casablanca. They're not the main gameplay element and the argument that you won't be playing a class because the romance is crap gives fuel to the opinion that all girl gamers are shallow idiots. Romances are an aditional feature, not something that makes or breaks a game. There are plenty of good games featuring no romance whatsoever. If you're bothered with Vector, chill out and roll a trooper. Aric is dreamy xD

Girl gamer chiming in - there is literally nothing appealing about this guy. He is an ant. He only ever talks about ants, the hive or finding other hives, and if I leave his armor piercing combat stance on then he stands in the storeroom of my ship pumping out a nasty green pheromone cloud.

Whoever wrote this particular romance - why is the only option for a female Imperial Agent a dehumanized bugman? The flirt options are so ridiculously contrived, he sits there nattering away about his ants and all of a sudden I come out with "HOW ABOUT SOME ALONE TIME WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE" and he's all "that would be nice, also THE HIVE IS CALLING ME I HEAR THE SONG OF THE UNIVERSE!"

The whole point of a good romance subplot is the object of your character's affections is meant to have some likable qualities. This dude is repellent, it's like trying to flirt with a rock. A rock covered in ants. I'm keeping up with the romance sub-plot purely because I keep thinking "There's GOT to be something that saves this from being completely awful...right?" and like a car accident, I just can't quite look away.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying romance sub-plots should be lovey-dovey cuddlefests, but this guy kind of makes me throw up in my mouth a bit.

I just got to this part in my questline and I gotta say, I totally agree! I was so excited to finally have a male companion, but at first I didnt even know what he was talking about when he brought up "rub forearms" LOL. That being said, I'm totally holding out for when Bio releases same-sex romances, cause I'll totally be tappin Kaliyo XD We got a nice little Bromance going on right now :)

After leveling a female Bounty Hunter and following the romance quest line with the completely adorable Torian, I was looking forward to the Agent's love story. I guess I'll be giving it a miss. :p

Great post, OP, and thanks for the warning.

why would an imperial agent romance a bug? it doesn't fit into the role of the character, at all, unless you a truly strange individual. female IA needs more, that's for sure. or at least enable the same-sex option ;)

He isn't truly a bug, he is a kilik joiner. Which means he is a human with weird black bug like eyes who has enhance senses and communicates with a hive of sentient humanoid insects. He is like Legion from mass effect 2, mixed with spider-man, and a diplomat.

I haven't leveled any characters for enough for romance options. I'm not interested in them anyway. But I can't say I'm surprised that the females get dorky options. We gals can't have TOO MUCH FUN. No way.

I did find it amusing that the female IA could have an affair with a male Twilek in the opening quests and be rewarded light side points for it. That was funny.

I actually love Vector, he is one of my favorite characters in the game. I'd romance him on my male agent too, if they'd let me. :p

But, yeah, sometimes the bug thing creeps me out. I had to laugh at your description of the pheromone cloud. :D

Edited by lornalove

The quality of BW romances was always questionable. The last romance options that felt "real", to me at least, was Jaheira. Everything else they came up with to date is so incredibly stereotyped and even sexist I don't even know where to begin.

And here I was feeling sorry for my Consular who got dumped by her first potential love interest for a hologram (Theran). And for thinking that he was an annoying prat. Next time he yells out "Did I mention I'm a pacifist?" I'll just think about your Bug Beau and his green pheromone cloud and maybe I won't grit my teeth so much. Just make sure he doesn't do that cloud thing around ant girls, or make your IA invest in some good bug spray. My IA only has Kaliyo so far and I'm on board with my fellow ladies - gonna wait for her to open as a love interest. Much more my IA's speed than "rubbing forearms".

The thing that creeps me out about vector is that he's never really alone.. .I mean, hey, dating him wouldn't be so bad... he's quite nice, character-wise. But I always imagine he has a whole hive watching me behind those creepy eyes. And, yes, I know that

he can shut them out temporarily.

But still...

I'd very much have liked the Doctor (even with his little secret) as romanceable. I mean, who can resist a man who traps his own totally secret hideouts just in case someone stumbles into them?

Edited by Muesliac

ROFL to OP

Best part is, I play male IA and find Kaliyo Djangiss for non-understandable, repelling, rude woman with creepy black sense for humor. I find Kaliyo almost like dirty, drunk, grunge girl, sitting in the dirt afront of the bar and drooling on almost empty bottle of beer crying for more. And then I came in, rescuing her sobering liver. Yes, you heard right, beer!

As oppose, Vector agrees almost to everything I say. Am I gay? Is Vector gay? Or is Vector just big ant agreeing with everything you say?

Edited by Mugo