The Rishi Class Missions

Kyrrant

So, I've done 7/8 of the Rishi missions, and I've noticed something of a pattern to them: Instead of trying to expand on or further a story, they're mainly about trying to remind the player what their class... well, is really about after the slew of Class inspecific content.

While I'm ranking them below, I'd like to note something: These are my personal opinions on the missions. If you disagree, awesome! Speak your mind, I love seeing how others view the same thing, what they think of it and why and the like.

Oh, and in case it wasn't obvious: Spoilers below. For the record, I haven't played the Sith Warrior one, but I don't expect it to do very much, given what I've heard of it (and my general opinion about the Sith Warrior storyline...).

1: Jedi Knight.

Admittedly, this may be partly because it was the first of the missions I saw... but damn if it wasn't pitch perfect. No fighting, no killing, no conflict... its a brief meeting with Orgus Din, followed by you trying to make the lives of the citizens of Rishi better in mundane, but important ways. After all of the fighting and the killing (and a good, if too-late, call-back to your time as the Emperor's servant), it was seriously touching to see that, yes, sometimes all that's really needed is to help people out through mundane means, not killing.

Orgus Din went out like a boss, no question... but I'm glad that this is going to be the last we see of him, reminding his student of what's really important in life.

2: Jedi Consular.

There's two elements that work great with this. First, Kutri O'a is an absolutely wonderful character, the kind I hope gets more appearances. Beyond the simple Jedi attitude, he has a warmth and a personality about him that you wouldn't expect from a stereotypical Jedi. And his voice actor, and its so sad that he doesn't seem credited anywhere online, does a wonderful job to inject a minor character with life. Properly handled, he could be a great counterpart to Satele.

The other element is obvious: Legacy. That its not just a simple record, but an incarnation of the Consular's personality. There are glimpses of the future, long off, that let you shape how your holocron would be used in difficult situations. It creates scope that, despite only being a few lines of dialog, make the world richer. The only reason its second place is that there were fewer feels when I played it. Otherwise, expertly crafted.

3: Sith Inquisitor.

There's a ton to love about this. That its going after fascinating technology? Awesome. That it extends your char's lifespan? Epic. The moral choice involved, the only truly effective one in the class missions, where you choose between researching immortality for yourself or keep your forces focused on the Empire's health? Exactly the sort of Sith moral choice that you'd hope for.

The only flaw I see really is the execution. The NPC is pretty bland, the effects don't have the visual impact you'd think they would, and Talos' presence, despite being mandated, is so minor... a fantastic idea, just not perfectly executed.

4: Bounty Hunter

If anything? Its TOO precise. You get called up out of the blue to take vengeance on Crysta's killers... so that you can get sneered at about not being a 'real' bounty hunter anymore by Crysta's kid. I like the concept and the characters involved, and killing off Crysta was a good move...

...its just too on the nose, not well executed. That we just hear that she died, that its so blatantly a "Why aren't you taking actual bounty hunting jobs, huh?!" quest... not bad, it just needed more time to work on.

5: Imperial Agent

This one depends a HUGE amount on how you feel about the supporting characters from the Agent storyline. I like the chars, and that it goes into the Empire's really, really dirty deeds is a good element, but it felt too low-stakes for the Agent.

I know it seems weird to say that, given that #1 is the Knight for me, but there was an IC purpose behind the Knight's work on a lower level. The Agent... just tries to save the sanity of an old friend victimized by the Empire. And that's it. I think my disappointment in it is less that its specifically bad, and more that its a waste of potential...

6: Smuggler

Speaking of a waste of potential... yeah. I like a lot of the design of this. A smuggler going back into crime. Trying to make money while also reflecting their desire to be able to SPEND their money. The temptation of the easy out, a cruise ship to sit out the war in style. Meeting up with an NPC from early in the story who fell on hard times... so much potential...

The problem was that the most important character, Beryl Thorne, was...... I'm sorry, but the voice acting was terrible. Her delivery was flat, there was no sense of desperation, of conflict, of pleading... it was just so, so dry, I couldn't get into the story. As much as the Consular story was lifted because of its NPC's delivery, the Smuggler was sunk because the voice actor just could not deliver the lines. A real shame.

7: Republic Trooper

...I don't know what the hell happened here. There's good bits here, sure. What happened to the troopers is a real tragedy, and I'm glad that it gets called out... but seriously, who decided to revisit stuff we'd already handled? Cleaning up after Garza's f'd up ideas AGAIN? Not dealing with the Empire or the war or anything else, but just having to handle Garza being a complete idiot?

The concept of the story wasn't exactly the problem, its just the overuse. Garza creating evil problems with her actions was cliche enough throughout act 1 of the Trooper story, but here it was just too damn much. They shouldn't have revisited the well, that's all I'm saying...

I've done all 8 now and I agree that Jedi Knight was my #1 because its peacefulness was a nice contrast to the rest of the galaxy.

#2 I really liked the Sith Warrior story because it actually seemed like the characters in it will be back in the near future. Vowrawn is always a gentleman.

#3 Inquisitor was great and had several choices that I had to think about. My sorcerer isn't as pro empire as most on here, so he went with the selfish immortality path. He also reduced the crew to skeleton levels.

#4 I like the Consular story for its prophecies and also hope that guy will be back. We now know that in the Bioware canon, the Consular will die before Nadia.

#5 Agent. I look forward to seeing how Miss Keeper handles her freedom.

The rest tie for #6. Bounty Hunter wasn't that interesting to me compared to the above, although I've only done it on my non-Mandalorian, so I'm not sure if they get something different. Trooper was just repetitive, I decided that Garza's experience was too important to waste so I sent her to be Theron's problem. I don't even get the point of Smuggler, maybe my male Smuggler will like it more when he gets to it because he was romantically involved with Beryl.

I did indeed like the Jedi Knight class mission. It felt...Jedi like...more than the Consular (which I did twice).

My next Fave tbh as the Imp Agent. Unlike the OP I saw this differently.

I took the light side Chiss all the way through. Maybe it was that path but I saw myself reconnecting with the man who let me become the free agent in an empire that would sooner spit upon me than thank me for the sacrifices I made because I was an alien and save a woman who on more than one occasion gave me Intel and advice that saved my ***.

No offense, but too many words.

At the end of the day, some manage to recapture what made their class stories amazing to begin with, but ultimately, they fell flat on their face, mostly due to the fact they were just too damn short -- every single one of them.

Another issue is the auto-pilot delivery by our characters, which is absolutely infuriating. :(

Done a few of 'em:

Agent: You're spot on about how liking this mission depends on how much you like Keeper and Watcher 2. In my opinion the strong supporting characters were a big part about what made the Agent arc awesome, and so this quest was perfect for me.

Knight: This seems to be a love-it-or-hate-it quest. I loved it. Low key and peaceful was brave but much needed. My Dark Side Knight desperately needed to be reminded about what being a Jedi is all about.

Warrior: Yay Vowrawn! Good stuff, good tie-in to the eventual Yavin stuff, and much needed to explain why the Warrior ain't gonna be in the Emperor's good books for long.

Smuggler: Eh. Beryl was never a super interesting character for me. She's... ok, I guess? The heist was alright and the idea of people fleeing the galaxy was interesting, if only because we've seen other characters, who know the Emperor's plan, try it as well. Overall, this one was so-so.

Edited by Excise

No offense, but too many words.

At the end of the day, some manage to recapture what made their class stories amazing to begin with, but ultimately, they fell flat on their face, mostly due to the fact they were just too damn short -- every single one of them.

Another issue is the auto-pilot delivery by our characters, which is absolutely infuriating. :(

Sorry, but every time I see someone say "too many words", it always comes off as "How dare you put effort into your post, just for that I'm not even going to not read it, but I'm going to sneer at you and tell you I won't read it!". Just saying.

On topic, I don't think they were all too short. Some were, certainly. The Consular, for example, could've used more stuff to do to create the holocron, the Smuggler mission needed more of a hunt, the Inquisitor mission needed some sort of puzzle in there to make it clear why its not just everyone walking up and getting an extra few years of life expectancy...

...but some of them would've been worse if they were longer. The Knight one works great partly because of its brevity. Small, simple actions that make the galaxy better. One of the few bits of the Trooper story I liked was that there wasn't any obvious, story-extending BS thrown in.

I think most of the stories would've worked better if they were about twice as long, certainly. But just because they suffered in some regards doesn't mean that's all there is to say about it.

Sorry, but every time I see someone say "too many words", it always comes off as "How dare you put effort into your post, just for that I'm not even going to not read it, but I'm going to sneer at you and tell you I won't read it!". Just saying.

On topic, I don't think they were all too short. Some were, certainly. The Consular, for example, could've used more stuff to do to create the holocron, the Smuggler mission needed more of a hunt, the Inquisitor mission needed some sort of puzzle in there to make it clear why its not just everyone walking up and getting an extra few years of life expectancy...

...but some of them would've been worse if they were longer. The Knight one works great partly because of its brevity. Small, simple actions that make the galaxy better. One of the few bits of the Trooper story I liked was that there wasn't any obvious, story-extending BS thrown in.

I think most of the stories would've worked better if they were about twice as long, certainly. But just because they suffered in some regards doesn't mean that's all there is to say about it.

Take as many words as you need to make your point. Some need a few, others need a bit.

I think some of the reason why people thought it was too short is because of the fact that we haven't seen any class missions since we left Corellia. After that we've basically been thrown into one-faction-fits-all storylines and we really haven't gotten to experience our characters' roles that they've worked to achieve in Acts I-III.

You can also tack on the fact that that sole class quest isn't exactly enough to make the Rishi story (or all of SOR, for that matter) replayable by multiple classes.

So, I've done 7/8 of the Rishi missions, and I've noticed something of a pattern to them: Instead of trying to expand on or further a story, they're mainly about trying to remind the player what their class... well, is really about after the slew of Class inspecific content.
They're 10 minut missions, not exaclty much time to open a new chapter. Opting for an 'epilogue' scenario was a correct decision here and was executed well in pretty much all cases. I liked all the missions, many of them touched on characters/areas in the original class stories that were underdeveloped. Garza being the best example here. She was underwritten in the original story and it doesn't matter if her creating another mess is a rehash. It's the choice we get to make and her actions finally caughting up to her that's improtant. She and the relationship with the Trooper became better, more complex and interesting than throughout all 3 original chapters. In all 8 Rishi class stories there was closure and well-deserved summary to what we did. If there's gonna be a new chapter then it should have much more content (time) to allow to build up. There was no time for that here Edited by Pietrastor

#8 Agent

If you didn't care about Watcher 2, you won't care about her now. If you did care about her, and you are arguably the best spymaster in the galaxy now, how did you get blindsided by this? Also, as my agent is my main, and the intro to SoR was double bugged for her, I don't think BW could have made the experience worse if they had tried.

#7 Hunter

I would have appreciated a bit of subtlety -- maybe start the quest off with a letter addressed to me as "Dear Imperial Lapdog/Stooge" or something. It would have been nice if the devs would have considered the possibility that my character had made choices other than "Lick Sith Boots". As with the Agent, I'm not sure why the devs included options for my giving a sith about Krystal when the quest setup assumes that I didn't.

#6 Inquisitor

I'd probably rank this higher if I thought that anything that happened would have a lasting effect on my story -- and by "lasting", I mean having any effect after the quest ended. OTOH, if it did, I would probably be even less happy, since any 'real" story effect should have in-game effects, and that would imbalance the game. OFC, that's probably why I loathe the JC/SI stories in the first place.

I haven't played the other five yet, so I'm hoping that they can justify me leaving the top five spots open for them.

Edited by eartharioch

• 1 year later...

I did all of them.

I liked Consular best deciding how to affect the future with his teachings was great and seeped in Jedi tradition.

Agent was my second most favorite Because of Shara Jenn. And seeing Minister of Inteligence going clandestine for his protege really raised my opinion of him.

Bounty Hunter third, because it was so personal for the characters. Mako being upset about the enforcer of the Dark Council reputation and Crysta being integral to the happenings resonated with me.

Inquisitor could use more on the Empire politics decision making with Moff Phenir but it was fine otherwise. Fourth on my list.

In contrast to many here, I liked Smuggler story. I would have liked it more If I could reconcile Beryl with Risha or rekindle romance with Beryl but it was nice still. Fifth place

Knight was nice because of Orgus Dinn and having a quest that did not revolve around fighing was brilliant idea. But I just liked other stories better. Sixthth place.

Sith Warrior... My character was surprised to have the Hand tail him. Why? I suspected what was going on when Vowrawn started his speech and was sure when first group jumped me.Overall nothing really important happened, even the fingers showing up were forgettable, so seventh place.

Trooper was worst of the lot. Someone said it here already - Garza making mistakes was done before and better than this. I understand they wanted to close her storyline with the Havoc commander but the execution left something to be desired.

I'm trying to find a recording somewhere of Bounty hunter class quest. I refused money for it and completed it before bioware fixed the issue that the quest giver reacted to that upon completion. All recordings I saw that used the line where the money is refused also were from prefixed version. Anyone got any idea where I can find the fixed version? I know its only one line of dialogue but that is why I still play all 8 characters, the differences between them.

I've done Jedi Knight, Agent, and Sith Warrior so far. My Trooper's on Rishi but she's kind of on hold while I do DvL with a friend.

I quite liked all three of the ones that I've actually done. I won't get into specifics because they're pretty much covered by others' posts. Jedi Knight was my favourite. :)

• 6 months later...
As someone who has played all the ones of the Empire's side I have to say that the Sith Inquisitior takes my number 1 hands down as someone who plays as pro-Empire & Alien Sith Lord it really demonstrates how much power you have over the Empire and of course I chose to redirect all of the assets to the Empire's war effort. Edited by BenjaminBurdige

Since the thread has already been necroed, I'll jump in here.

Yesterday I finally did BH and IA to finish the set.

What I have to say about the IA one will surprise people, perhaps.

See, I didn't (on my first play-through) really like the IA story. It's a not a bad story (if I read an expanded version of it in a longish short story or a shortish novel, it would be OK), but it's not a good MMORPG class story. Or, more accurately, it's not a good SWTOR class story. In the others, even if the overall outcomes aren't often influenced by your actions and your dialogue choices, the flow and path of the local story are. In Chapter 2, for story-coherent reasons, they aren't. The reasons *are* story-coherent, but they remove even the illusion of choice that the other classes have, and I didn't like that.

So the Rishi IA quest was a pleasant surprise. The Minister showed the caring-human side of him that we almost never saw during the main class story, and kind of redeemed himself.

All the Rish class quests have their good points, although I was a little disappointed by the final wheel of the BH story, since it seemed to not quite offer something I would have gone for. But that's common. (But the quest also reinforces the non-validity for the BH of a question that was posed previously on these forums about the in-KotFE/KotET validity of the classes' pre-carbonite citizenship. The BH was *never* an Imperial citizen, and has multiple opportunities to make that point, including in the entrance to the final Darok/Arkous fight, and in the Rishi BH quest, Crysta's daughter makes the point instead of the BH.)