Stats and How They Work

Daellia

so do the bosses have zero intrinsic tech resistance as well?

i've been asking around too people generally say that skills that do weapon damage fall under the melee/ranged category and not under force/tech category. this would mean that all special skills are not tech. is this correct?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so do the bosses have zero intrinsic tech resistance as well?

Correct. In fact, all known sources of Force or Tech resistance provide both Force and Tech resistance equally.

i've been asking around too people generally say that skills that do weapon damage fall under the melee/ranged category and not under force/tech category. this would mean that all special skills are not tech. is this correct?

Abilities that explicitly state "weapon damage" in their tooltip are indeed Melee or Ranged abilities (though not all Melee/Ranged abilities state "weapon damage"). The abilities themselves also state what category they are in on the Abilities page itself. "Special" is a sub-classification of Melee and Ranged. There's technically 3 categories of attacks, I'll break it down:

Basic Melee/Ranged: Base miss chance 10% plus Defense. 20% is necessary to cap against a PvE boss.

Includes Saber Strike, Assault, Rifle Shot, and Rapid Shots, as well as their Republic mirrors.

Special Melee/Ranged: Base miss chance 0% plus Defense. 10% is necessary to cap against a PvE boss.

Force/Tech: Base miss chance 0% plus Resistance. 0% is necessary to cap against a PvE boss.

There aren't any classes in the game where capping Basic attack accuracy (so going to 20%) is worthwhile. For a number of classes, due to the portion of their damage coming from Force/Tech attacks, even capping special accuracy isn't desirable compared to other stats. That I know of, two classes prefer to avoid Accuracy entirely: Sorcs and Concealment Operatives (who derive approximately 85% of their damage from Tech attacks).

Edited by Daellia

• 2 weeks later...
Ok so from what I'm reading in the first post. It is saying I will see better returns from power than willpower mathematically correct? I'm just curious because I am wanting to make sure I am getting the most out of the augments I'm about to get for all my WH gear. Are there power augments or just the resolve willpower augments?

Ok so from what I'm reading in the first post. It is saying I will see better returns from power than willpower mathematically correct? I'm just curious because I am wanting to make sure I am getting the most out of the augments I'm about to get for all my WH gear. Are there power augments or just the resolve willpower augments?

Negative. Willpower gives you less Damage Bonus baseline than Power does, but it has two very important boosts that help it out. Firstly, it also increases your crit chance (at a slower rate than Crit Rating, but on a separate and far shallower DR curve), and secondly, it gets boosted by 11% by buffs and skills (specifically, Mark of Power and Will of the Sith, which are additive with each other). This means that Power grants a whole 3.6% more Damage Bonus per point than Willpower, while Willpower grants Crit chance in addition. For essentially all gear levels currently in game, Willpower is fairly stable at 10% better than Power, point for point. You should always be using Resolve augments.

Edited by Daellia

• 2 weeks later...

For those that have this thread bookmarked, Aurojiin has taken over maintenance of it in the new sticky. Also, she's posted a Sage version here (which still needs sticky requests, at the time of this posting).

Note that I'll no longer be monitoring this thread. Please direct any further stat commentary/questions to Aurojiin's new thread(s), or PM/Post them on MMO-mechanics.com/swtor/forums.

Edited by Daellia

she's

While this would make my ex-girlfriend stories quite a bit more exciting, the mundane truth is that I am but another member of the seething mass that is male videogamers.

Edit: I was sitting here musing about whether or not my username 'sounds' female... then I glanced across at my avatar. Oh.

Edited by Aurojiin

While this would my ex-girlfriend stories quite a bit more exciting, the mundane truth is that I am but another member of the seething mass that is male videogamers.

Edit: I was sitting here musing about whether or not my username 'sounds' female... then I glanced across at my avatar. Oh.

Ya, I generally just use gender pronouns based on the avatar in question until told otherwise. I myself tend to use names that lean towards female-sounding (Daellia, for example), and I usually play female avatars in game as well (pretty *** > hairy ***), so I'm rather used to the confusion myself too.

Honestly, English just needs a gender-neutral pronoun (that doesn't make English majors sputter in indignation, like a singular "they" does). English doesn't inherently gender its nouns, why the hell do we gender our pronouns?

Edited by Daellia

Augmenting PvP gear for Healing Sorc any recommendations? You talk about diminishing returns. What stats have diminishing returns? All? Can you have too much expertise or willpower to have a diminising return? I know it sounds silly I heard some bad rumors, like Santa Claus doesn't exist. Just seeing what augments are recommended to have a good balance.

Augmenting PvP gear for Healing Sorc any recommendations? You talk about diminishing returns. What stats have diminishing returns? All? Can you have too much expertise or willpower to have a diminising return? I know it sounds silly I heard some bad rumors, like Santa Claus doesn't exist. Just seeing what augments are recommended to have a good balance.

Please use the new thread for questions, as this thread isn't going to be monitored much longer. I'll answer your question over there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

ok, I have a question that may have been asked already but I didn't read the whole thread, it's pretty long in my defense. Why would I get Force power over power or vice verse if I were building end game customs as a Sage??

Or is everything just power? (Just made my first 50 recently, still learning)

And thank you so much for putting this together!

Edited by TangoAlpahaZulu

ok, I have a question that may have been asked already but I didn't read the whole thread, it's pretty long in my defense. Why would I get Force power over power or vice verse if I were building end game customs as a Sage??

Or is everything just power? (Just made my first 50 recently, still learning)

And thank you so much for putting this together!

You can't really stack force power, it comes with certain gear and it will stack by itself. There are no mods,enhancements, armorings or even augments that have force power, so effectively you couldn't even if you wanted to.

If I'm not mistaken only your offhand and your mainhand grant you force power, everything else is power. But you needn't worry about it.