Server Transfers, 11 Months Later...

Icebergy

I got answers to two of the questions that I saw a bit about:

Can you transfer across server type, such as PvP to PvE?

Yes you can!

Can you transfer across region, like EU to NA?

As of the current plan, no. However, I want to state that this is absolutely something we want to do and as you saw with APAC it isn't a tech limitation. There are some other restrictions we are working through and we hope to have the ability to transfer across region moving forward. I will give you updates on this as I have it.

Hope that clears things up.

-eric

It's been two months now Eric since you posted this and we have no clear indication wheither it is still a priority on BW's part to introduce US-EU transfers. I have tried contacting the community team about this but they won't even acknowledge it with a simple yes or no answer.

This is hugely frustrating to me especially since it's no a tech issue (and there was a bug where people were able to transfer to an EU server from a US server without problems).

PLEASE give us an update when we can expect this it's been long overdue and you're ignoring alot of people that are stuck on either an EU or US server.

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta agree I was really angry and frustrated when I heard their plans to limit server transfers to Europe and US and not between both. I still badly want this to happen but instead the silence is deafening, please BW/EA just flip the switch so I can get it done.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As of the current plan, no. However, I want to state that this is absolutely something we want to do and as you saw with APAC it isn't a tech limitation. There are some other restrictions we are working through and we hope to have the ability to transfer across region moving forward. I will give you updates on this as I have it.

-eric

Any update on this Mr Musco?

The stupid thing about this is...

On the day of transfers I was able to move both my operative and scoundrel over from Jedi Covenant and PoT5 US servers to ToFN EU server. It allowed me to do this no problem. So it seems like bioware failed to put their stupid limitation on initially.

Now i can no longer do this. Proving that indeed there is nothing stopping them doing this cept flicking a switch pretty much.

If that's true I really wish i knew about it. I gave up my 50 legacy on the east coast and had to re-roll a few of the same AC'es. I can't express how much I hate leveling and especially stories I've already played. The new legacy is close to 49 now.

Go ahead and throw in account to account transfer and it will be worthwhile
The only beneficiaries would be subscribers who pay for multiple accounts (usually for dual boxing) or people who intend to sell an account (be it their own or one they hacked into & stole.) The first is an extremely niche group, while the second violates the EULA; making account to account transfers not very worthwhile. Just curious ... as an obvious vocal proponent of account to account transfers which group would you be in? Edited by GalacticKegger

https://account.swtor.com/user/account/transfer

Might want to get more information before you bump this thread. :)

Unless you are looking for a NA to EU transfer you can transfer currently.

I was referring to the NA to EU transfers.

I was asking for more updates on the NA to EU thing since it was said by one of the Bioware posters earlier in the thread.

The only beneficiaries would be subscribers who pay for multiple accounts (usually for dual boxing) or people who intend to sell an account (be it their own or one they hacked into & stole.) The first is an extremely niche group, while the second violates the EULA; making account to account transfers not very worthwhile. Just curious ... as an obvious vocal proponent of account to account transfers which group would you be in?

Not really i habe two of my gfs chars on my account she wants to transfer instead of startig from scratch. I dont see how its any detriment to xfer between accounts. If bioware lets accounts get hacked thTs their faulft if it were to happen its on bioware but its no excuse to not impliment something. Its not like people would actually pay for swtor accounts sure im sure some would sell but nobody is buying. And how exactly would allowing xfers encourage account hacking?

Not really i habe two of my gfs chars on my account she wants to transfer instead of startig from scratch. I dont see how its any detriment to xfer between accounts. If bioware lets accounts get hacked thTs their faulft if it were to happen its on bioware but its no excuse to not impliment something. Its not like people would actually pay for swtor accounts sure im sure some would sell but nobody is buying. And how exactly would allowing xfers encourage account hacking?
Technically sharing account information is a romper room no-no according to the EULA, which is why I didn't initially consider that as an option. But you didn't hear me say anything about ... oh wait ... Edited by GalacticKegger

Technically sharing account information is a romper room no-no according to the EULA, which is why I didn't initially consider that as an option. But you didn't hear me say anything about ... oh wait ...

Who said i shared any account information? Since accounts are free whats wong with xferint between them maybee id like to group up with my girlfriend or dualbox

Who said i shared any account information? Since accounts are free whats wong with xferint between them maybee id like to group up with my girlfriend or dualbox
Um ... you did? If account to account character transfers are needed for both you and your gf to play existing toons at the same time then, well ... I'm sure when you posted
Not really i habe two of my gfs chars on my account she wants to transfer instead of startig from scratch.
that you simply misspoke. ;)

"Unless expressly permitted by EA in writing or as required by applicable law, you are expressly prohibited from reproducing, sub-licensing, broadcasting, modifying, adapting, renting, lending, leasing, distributing or otherwise making publicly available the Software or rights to use the Software."

Here's the full read.

I've been conversing with a human and not a bot, right?

Edited by GalacticKegger

• 3 weeks later...

Warning: this massive wall of text requires more than 10 seconds of time unless you are a speed reader or clairvoyant. My apologies to the rest of us who arent. lol. :eek:

You should try to look more broadly at the situation, your market assessment is rather myoptic. Do some of the people who post here actually play this game, I wonder.

In fact, the ability to change REGIONS is probably one of the most compelling reasons to offer this feature aside from the initial exodus of hard-core pvpers who emigrated to the dedicated pvp servers...alas, its hard to find a competent pre-made in certain places and times.

Time. That brings me to the point I wish to focus upon. It is an excellent driver to motivate many players as evidenced by the myriad of posts clamoring for regional character transfers.

For example, there are people in Asia who find themselves unable to get into raiding operations with a guild because those asian servers dont exist anymore, and European or NA server raids often occur overnight in asian time zones.

I happen to play with a few unfortunate, but talented, players located in the Asian continent on a European server, but despite the rather early 18:00 (local London) start time, these asian players must stay online until the middle of the night to complete a single raid.

This causes problems for us as a raid team since they cannot physically maintain such a schedule, and therefore miss raids, this in turn, r e t a r d s (that is the proper use of the word, look it up BW filter team) the progression of the entire raid team.

For all of those players who have re-located and now live in a different region, face similar problems of not being in sync with peak hours of their former server..and often logging when the server is nearly empty, no raids, pvp matches or flashpoint made through the group finder. The waits are very long for team content.

Once again, these player cannot attain raid experience or set gear needed to advance as intended...comms gears is inferior, and besides after grinds countless 55HM FPs -- who are you going to play with? If it is another region you wish to play when you conenct, then chances are other players on that server are at work, with their families or sleeping. SO GOOD LUCK FINDING A STEADY FLOW OF (PUG) matches. (BTW, youll need them, because the success of any random PUGs vs. any end game content is very low, and HM, enjoy wiping often) Dont even think about a guild becuase they all raid about the same time window with few exceptions which naturally mirror the needs of the local server time zone.

This effectively terminates further progress in the game. Its not a problem to level a character that much if you dont mind going solo or get a random partner, but it absolutely is inhibitory for end game content which relies heavily on team play 8 and 16 man content. Eventually, one may level another alt to 55 and get that wonderful 69 and most recently 72 comms gear and look at it. Thats about all you are going to be able to do with it anyway ;)

This is not a niche group as you suggest, but many of us who either live outiside of the States or Europe or those who are cosmopolitian in their lifestyle who travel or live and work between those regions are more than a residual faction.

I have gone to extremes to circumvent these issues and play with other "international" diverse ops raiding guiids that try to manage the seemingly intractable issue that BW has set upon us.

Its time to get these outstanding, non-technical issues resolved and enable regional transfers! :eek:

================================================================

PS It would be nice to offer an ACCOUNT transfer as well to another server notwithstanding another region. after all, 1800 cc x 12 (a full subscriber account of characters on a single server) is 21600 cc or approximately 216 USD -- rather pricey. These character accounts really amount to little more than cross-relational (or even flat) BD files on a server which have been well documented...how hard is it to re-assign the file via the internet encryption to another server...the variable costs are close to nil and the upfront costs cant be much given the system is in place to do so already.

$216 USD to move one account. didnt know electrons were that expensive these days :rolleyes:

That is sticker shock for current subscribers who essentially finance all of the free-to-play players and their bandwidth and associated maintenance costs and hardware to support them.

BW you dont need to hire contract employees located in Borneo to do this account tranfer service (although, I would like to talk to an orangutan if you do), just ask some interns playing ping-pong in the employee lounge to do something truly heroic and self-fulfilling for SWOTOR gamers far and wide -- youll even give them a good recommendation if they succeed.)

Why not give subscribers a break for a change? Offer an attractive one-time fee for an account server transfer to the most avid players who pay each and every month, and where they can actually like to play somewhere else, before they drop their subscription and move along disappointed by the limitations of end-game content access and apparent lack of customer support. :cool:

Edited by Jedi_wanabie

• 4 weeks later...

Can you transfer across server type, such as PvP to PvE?

Yes you can!

-eric

Eric Any word on EU - US and US - EU transfers yet??

• 1 month later...

I would like a full account transfer option, not just individual chars.

I am located in Cali, but stuck on Pot5 server. I don't want to pay to xfer each char, but I would gladly pay $100 to transfer my entire account to The Bastion.

Can you hook a brother up?

Thanks!

/edit

Well I did the math and if I buy 3 x 5500cartel coin packs, I can move all my chars. Comes out to $120. I guess thats about the same.

Edited by PakaOno

another necrothread

because there are still players who think the implementation of this system was inadequate to address the problems that lead to it's creation. there is a good chance most people involved in this thread have quit for the various reasons they outlined here. as more people quit, there will be less people the necro this thread, which i'm sure will make everyone happy.

edited to add:

the above might not be true. i clicked a few people at random and many say they have been active within the last month or so. kilora hasn't been around since the end of september, which is kind of sad. on the other hand, superman_az was here last month, though he hasn't posted since july. didn't he quit? or go preferred or something? i wonder what the 'last activity' date means? would that count quit accounts that stopped by to check progress on galactic starfigher or something? can you keep your signature if you're preferred or quit? hmmmmm

Edited by curtkram

At the very least, let us transfer legacies. I have/would re roll from a European server to a US one, but spending cash and time to get perks again (like ship gtn, rocket boots, treek, my gree reputation status), makes the thought rather painful.

My cartel collections transfer (which I AM thankful for), but why wouldn't my legacy? Make it account wide, not server wide

Edited by chasinginfinity

• 2 weeks later...

So what are the actual rules in terms of transferring? Is there a certain time you would need to wait before transferring?

IE, I was thinking about transferring servers to potentially run a certain operation, and wanted to avoid abandoning my home to accomplish it. What are the rules in a situation like that, where you'd want to transfer to another set of friends to accomplish something, then switch back?