Being able to sit

nosub

In case you don't know, there is a /chair emote you can use while standing in front of a seat. That is their intended use method.

That's just it, if it only worked when standing in front of a seat it would at least feel half convincing. Sadly it works wherever you stand, Even more sadly they forgot to take into account that not all chairs have their sitting surface at the same height, and more often than not you are hovering with your *** in mid-air.

They could have just added some logic to the emote to find the nearest piece of sitting furniture decoration and attach the same action script (to the emote instead of to the chair) as is tied to the pilot seats on your ship.

And, just like with dyes and companion gear, it also does not carry over into conversation cut-scenes. I had rolled a new sniper, and got sent to this guy on Balmorra to talk to. When I got there, there was a seat in front of the desk, and for the life of me I could not position myself such that I could properly sit on it. Yet when I started the conversation guess what happened? My character walks up to that exact same chair and sits down the proper way even though I already had seated myself as much as possible on the chair instead of hovering next to it or in front of it prior to starting the converstation. Granted, this is probably unavoidable with cutscenes, but the few ones where your character demonstrates to be able to sit down proper makes the emote's lack of accuracy bite even more

Edited by LeJarC

Well, our starships have sittable chairs in the cockpit, so why couldn't they apply that same coding to chair and couch decorations?

They have stated before that the code used to do that was a bit of a hack by one of the devs, and its very difficult to make it work, in fact sometimes it doesn't work even in our ships.

Comparing cut scenes to an emote is rather funny.

I've played games with click seating, and it was often just as cludgy as emote seating is in this game, without the benefit of being able to choose where you sit.

At the end of the day no matter what they did some group of people were going to be unhappy. IF it was click seating, people would be unhappy at where they decided to position the character on the seat, especially on multiseat furniture. They went for the system that gives the player the most control, but requires a bit more work to use.

They have stated before that the code used to do that was a bit of a hack by one of the devs, and its very difficult to make it work, in fact sometimes it doesn't work even in our ships.

Comparing cut scenes to an emote is rather funny.

I've played games with click seating, and it was often just as cludgy as emote seating is in this game, without the benefit of being able to choose where you sit.

At the end of the day no matter what they did some group of people were going to be unhappy. IF it was click seating, people would be unhappy at where they decided to position the character on the seat, especially on multiseat furniture. They went for the system that gives the player the most control, but requires a bit more work to use.

No, they chose the system that required them to do the least amount of work because they consider this a trivial matter that isn't even worth their time. I disagree though. If sandbox features like this had been in this game from day one, this game would've been at quite a different level of success.

Edited by TheNevet

In case you don't know, there is a /chair emote you can use while standing in front of a seat. That is their intended use method.

Their intended use is crap, pure and simple.

First, it randomizes repeatedly, to the point it becomes just a nuisance.

Second, it takes forever depending on the gender and body type to sit right and even then, it is likely the character just sits at they very tip of the chair, couch, whatever.

Third, this is 2014. It shouldn't be that hard(!) to code this kind of stuff properly, especially when it's in the game since launch, concerning some seats on one's ship.

It's still better than nothing but it's still crap.

EDIT:

And let us not forget the several sitting poses that are tied to CM- emotes ONLY. Lovely. :rolleyes:

Edited by Darth_Wicked

The problem with chairs you can sit in is that each chair has to be interactable and have scripts attached to it to handle the action and this ends up being a server load issue.

I think the current sitting methods are adequate and certainly better than what we had when last I played.

The problem with chairs you can sit in is that each chair has to be interactable and have scripts attached to it to handle the action and this ends up being a server load issue.

I think the current sitting methods are adequate and certainly better than what we had when last I played.

This is most likely their reasoning, but, is our game so poorly built from the ground up, that they cannot fix this issue?

Seriously, MMO's 15 years ago had chairs you can sit in, beds you can lie in.

The real reason is money. MMOs do not cater to people who demand this feature anymore, roleplayers, what I might call the original MMO player are a minority. Sadly, this game caters for the same people who are as happy playing Grand Theft Auto. The modern MMO player has other needs, usually being spoon-fed through content you can do with your eyes closed.

I consider the system we received an acceptable one given the circumstances (and how much work it would take to recode the entire game world for interactive chairs and beds). I think most of the issues people are having are with some of the weird collision geometries that don't correlate with the actual furniture geometry, leading you to sitting just on or just off the edge of the seat, or floating above it even though you should be seated perfectly in it. That's not an issue with the system, but an issue with the item's collision geometry.

The only change I'd like to see with /chair and /sleep, is repeated use of the emote while seated or sleeping changes the pose without having to stand back up first.

If they fixed up those two points, collision geometry and position changes while already seated or sleeping, I'm sure most people would have little complaints once they get a little practice with telling how far away their character's arse is from the seat.

I'm not a RP person but one you give me a house I want to decorate it and move around it like its my place. I've played various games for a number of years and in each you simply clicked on a chair and sat, clicked on a bed and laid down. Is it simple to change that in SWTOR? Probably not but I still hope they put it on their to do list. I almost rather have no ability to sit than use the /chair emote with the imaginary stool. It's just goofy.

And I'd like to also add, I was so disappointed in the escape pods on the flagships. I was hoping for something more like EV. I get that's not a small thing either but again I'd rather not even have the escape pods then. The entire room is so pointless now. If they hadn't been there I'd have moved on just fine but now I just shake my head every time I glance at them. The EV ride is so much fun. Was hoping I'd get to do that more often lol.

Edited by RaeAvenger

That's just it, if it only worked when standing in front of a seat it would at least feel half convincing. Sadly it works wherever you stand, Even more sadly they forgot to take into account that not all chairs have their sitting surface at the same height, and more often than not you are hovering with your *** in mid-air.

They could have just added some logic to the emote to find the nearest piece of sitting furniture decoration and attach the same action script (to the emote instead of to the chair) as is tied to the pilot seats on your ship.

Actually, that's not true. It's just you not lining up properly.

I don't understand why people find it hard to do. Just switch to walk, go right up to the chair and type /chair.

Easy as that.

Also, claiming that it's not "realistic" the way it is, is bull... I can sit down in the air looking like I'm on a chair right now. It's not unrealistic.

Ya'll are just lazy.

And, just like with dyes and companion gear, it also does not carry over into conversation cut-scenes. I had rolled a new sniper, and got sent to this guy on Balmorra to talk to. When I got there, there was a seat in front of the desk, and for the life of me I could not position myself such that I could properly sit on it. Yet when I started the conversation guess what happened? My character walks up to that exact same chair and sits down the proper way even though I already had seated myself as much as possible on the chair instead of hovering next to it or in front of it prior to starting the converstation. Granted, this is probably unavoidable with cutscenes, but the few ones where your character demonstrates to be able to sit down proper makes the emote's lack of accuracy bite even more

Because it's scripted.

This is the same reason your weapon being drawn doesn't carry over into conversation cut-scenes.

And you should know that in the cutscene, your character isn't "clicking on a chair to sit down", but instead moving along a carefully programmed path and performing the exact same emote as the /chair one (well, at least one of them) at a pre-programmed point.

This is the same reason you get the "walking up stairs" animation in some cutscenes when walking up stairs, but you never get that when walking up stairs in-game, because it's a carefully animated cutscene, not just regular in-game movement.

Comparing the /chair emote to a cutscene is pretty dumb.

Actually, that's not true. It's just you not lining up properly.

I don't understand why people find it hard to do. Just switch to walk, go right up to the chair and type /chair.

Easy as that.

Also, claiming that it's not "realistic" the way it is, is bull... I can sit down in the air looking like I'm on a chair right now. It's not unrealistic.

Ya'll are just lazy.

I would bet your main is Body Type 1

The collision detection and clipping work well for /chair and BT1

But BT3 means you literally cannot sit on half the furniture.

The agent, smuggler, trooper, and BH ships all have chairs you can interact with and sit in in places on the ship other than the cockpit, all ships in the cockpit allow you to sit, you'd think they'd do the same for couches, and chairs not just in the strongholds, but also in the cantinas....

It's not difficult to manage that particular feature at all, SWG you were able to sit in all the furniture without hassle, I think Bioware should really take a look at what SWG had to offer, and before you say it's a dead game, keep in mind SOE only brought that game off line because Bioware was introducing this game with promises such as Space combat, Player housing, guild halls, upgraded graphics and voice acting, well they got the graphics and voice acting, our choices for space combat are, PVP or Starfox with a starwars skin....

It's not difficult to manage that particular feature at all, SWG you were able to sit in all the furniture without hassle, I think Bioware should really take a look at what SWG had to offer, and before you say it's a dead game, keep in mind SOE only brought that game off line because Bioware was introducing this game with promises such as Space combat, Player housing, guild halls, upgraded graphics and voice acting, well they got the graphics and voice acting, our choices for space combat are, PVP or Starfox with a starwars skin....

And you should keep in mind that it's two completely different game engines written in completely different programming languages.

You have no clue if it's difficult or not to program that kind of behaviour in this game.

But from the devs' statements and their inability to implement sitting in furniture during these years of the game being active, I'd say it seems pretty damned hard to do.

Especially when they say that the only chairs you CAN sit in were basically "hacks" that don't work every time.

My main is BT3.

Most of my other chars are BT 2 or 3.

Then I challenge you to produce a video of you sitting in the spacers' lounge, the executive lounge and a Selkath chair

On a BT3 character.

After sitting you are required, to fulfil this challenge, to give a slow camera pan around your character to demonstrate that you are firmly seated on the furniture, and not in mid air.

Then I challenge you to produce a video of you sitting in the spacers' lounge, the executive lounge and a Selkath chair

On a BT3 character.

After sitting you are required, to fulfil this challenge, to give a slow camera pan around your character to demonstrate that you are firmly seated on the furniture, and not in mid air.

Umm, sure, I'll just drop everything I'm doing and spend time getting those three decorations (ok, I have one of them) and film it just to appease your ego.

Or, maby I'll just ignore that and do something I like instead.

Umm, sure, I'll just drop everything I'm doing and spend time getting those three decorations (ok, I have one of them) and film it just to appease your ego.

Or, mabye I'll just ignore that and do something I like instead.

You are claiming it can be done. I am saying it can't.

I gave 3 bits of furniture where the problem is very noticeable.

Also I am pretty sure if you asked around your guild, or friends, one of them will have the seats.

Otherwise, how would you even know if they can be sat on properly by a BT3?