Confusion about Referals

TheGreySithOne

My friend has had an account for a few months, but then recently made a character (He was probably busy or something), but I wanted to give him my referral link. However, it states his account is currently not eligible for the Friends of SWTOR Referral Program,

I've looked online for answers but I'm still confused. Did he NEED to have had used my link when making the account or can he just enter it now? If so, where and if not, why can he not use it?

Thanks for any help!

Having just referred a friend, here's the link to the info on it. Note that it says that new accounts are different than people who were previously subscribers.

http://www.swtor.com/info/friends

For me, I simply used a link someone gave me, logged into my account, confirmed that I did indeed want to use that referral, and everything worked fine. However, I was previously a subscriber.

My friend has had an account for a few months, but then recently made a character (He was probably busy or something), but I wanted to give him my referral link. However, it states his account is currently not eligible for the Friends of SWTOR Referral Program,

I've looked online for answers but I'm still confused. Did he NEED to have had used my link when making the account or can he just enter it now? If so, where and if not, why can he not use it?

Thanks for any help!

This means he probably already used someone else's referral. You can only use a referral code once, unless you've been away from the game for more than 3 months.

If he already used another referral, he won't be able to use yours for now.

You don't need to necessarily be "away from the game." You simply cannot use another referral code until 90 days have passed. You can still be active in the game during those 90 days. (As F2P or Preferred. You cannot, to my knowledge, use a referral code while actively subscribed; although I'm not sure why you'd need to.*) What I don't know, is if you can use the same referral code more than once. I suspect not.

*The only benefit subscribers get from the referral code "rewards" is a free 10 slot inventory expansion; which I do use on every character I create. I first purchase the amount of slots I ultimately want, less 10; then use this item for the last 10.

You don't need to necessarily be "away from the game." You simply cannot use another referral code until 90 days have passed. You can still be active in the game during those 90 days. (As F2P or Preferred. You cannot, to my knowledge, use a referral code while actively subscribed; although I'm not sure why you'd need to.*) What I don't know, is if you can use the same referral code more than once. I suspect not.

*The only benefit subscribers get from the referral code "rewards" is a free 10 slot inventory expansion; which I do use on every character I create. I first purchase the amount of slots I ultimately want, less 10; then use this item for the last 10.

Yeah, when I said "away from the game" I meant "not subscribing." Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Also, don't forget about the free character transfer. That pretty much doubles your amount of alts (if you're someone who likes playing alts, that is.)