Makeb shows why continuing class stories are necessary

Has there been any word from the devs that class stories are no more or are we just extrapolating based on Makeb and the upcoming space shooter?

There's no extrapolation but rather information that people keep overlooking, just because they don't like the sound of it...

Q: In a recent interview, you mentioned you mentioned that the writing direction of the future would be akin to the Avengers, bringing the individual stories together into one epic story. Could you elaborate on what this means for the future?

Hall: I can't reveal anything about our future plans, but we're always experimenting with new styles of storytelling for SWTOR. Some stories work especially well as a great big group team-up where players compete for the spotlight during conversations (hence the Avengers analogy), but that doesn't mean players have to be grouped in order to enjoy them. All of our content that isn't specifically written to be a class story is designed to work equally well whether you're in a group or flying solo.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5388001#post5388001

For one thing, the expansion won't feature unique quests for each of the game's eight classes; a process which would be "very, very expensive,"

http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/25/4133266/star-wars-the-old-republic-rise-of-the-hutt-cartel-preview

- - - -

And that's for one single planet(!) it would seem...

Edited by Darth_Wicked

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree we need more class stories.

It doesn't even have to be anything special, just give quest givers who only give the mission to the appropriate class, a variation on level specific missions or the companion missions that are only doable in order. If a Smuggler talks to the smuggler mission giver, they get the mission, if a trooper or a marauder tries to talk to them, nothing!!, you could even allow them to shared the mission with friends, so a guild/group could have people doing all the missions, and earning social points.

I still enjoy the game but I have to say that I would also like to see some more class stories. I mean, I am on the Dark Council...what kind of insurance plans do we get? What is our dental? Do they cover outpatient? What are my retirement benefits?

These are the things that I really need to know for my future.

:rak_grin:

Edited by Golconda

There's no extrapolation but rather information that people keep overlooking, just because they don't like the sound of it...

If you're going to be snide, at least link to something that actually says they're dead and buried.

Granted, you won't find it with their vague answers to anything,

The incredibly obnoxious mob density on Makeb squelched my enthusiasm for that planet.

The game is centered around combat, combat, and more combat - what did you expect? Enjoying the view, building a house, playing uncle Owen?

Also, ich changed your quote font to Italic, it just looks more classy.

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

I still enjoy the game but I have to say that I would also like to see some more class stories. I mean, I am on the Dark Council...what kind of insurance plans do we get? What is our dental? Do they cover outpatient? What are my retirement benefits?

:rak_grin:

Retirement benefits?? staggering backwards as your apprentice slices you in two, I guess.

The medical side would be carried out by either Med-Bot or your Protocol Droid (since he's a healer).

I believe though, that Dark Council members get free space ship and speeder insurance, with a courtesy ship/speeder if yours breaks down.:rolleyes:

The BioWare that gave us the class-stories is gone: Devoured/destroyed by EA.

The only way I can see them coming back is if they rig a "self-buy-out" (Heaven knows how, high finance is not my area of expertise), re-hiring their old talent that gave us early SW: tOR in the first place, having enough money to work, and then letting them work.

Do any of you see this as an even theoretical possibility at this time?

Retirement benefits?? staggering backwards as your apprentice slices you in two, I guess.

The medical side would be carried out by either Med-Bot or your Protocol Droid (since he's a healer).

I believe though, that Dark Council members get free space ship and speeder insurance, with a courtesy ship/speeder if yours breaks down.:rolleyes:

As a member of the dark council, I don't have time to fly myself anywhere. I need a personal pilot so that I can check status reports and watch the Galactic News Network during my commute in the morning. Someone had also better have a cup of coffee and a breakfast taco waiting for me. Don't worry about keeping it warm... I can take care of that. :t_wink:

Edited by AlienEyeTX

The BioWare that gave us the class-stories is gone: Devoured/destroyed by EA.

The only way I can see them coming back is if they rig a "self-buy-out" (Heaven knows how, high finance is not my area of expertise), re-hiring their old talent that gave us early SW: tOR in the first place, having enough money to work, and then letting them work.

Do any of you see this as an even theoretical possibility at this time?

I don't think that would be the answer. They could only do it as part of a massive expansion. Such an expansion would require a substantial increase in resources, which they cannot afford. Remember all those layoffs that they did after the game was released? Yeah, that was all the talent that it took to build the game. The same sort of resources would be required for the type of expansion/story-telling that a lot of us want. Unfortunately, it's just not feasible.

Personally, I'd be happy if they gave us one or two tiny missions that were class-specific with each expansion. Just a little something to keep it personal. That would require additional resources, but shouldn't be too bad. But, you know, I doubt they would do that. I think when it comes to the stories they want to go big or not at all.

• 10 months later...

i have said this since makeb, but future exp need something unique to each class more than just diologue.

Say that Kuat was a exp and the imps invade the planet and u go with your agent and u do quests that are basic and much like makeb, now near the end of the first half (like when the imps discover the isotope droids, u find out there's a star caball agent on the planet so you go off and hunt them down, u then have a little dialogue where u kill or let them go.

Then u go back to planet quest you do all that then near the end of the exp you then find out the caball have a base on the planet, so u enter it kill the guards maybe find a member and deal with them you then steal data from them and that's it, you go back and finish the exp.

now the inquisitor goes to kuat does the same planet story but where the agent found the star caball member u discover that a sith artifact is on the planet, so you go and steal it maybe you find a ghost so you do your thing, then later like the agent u hear that a Lord has been after that for years and because you got it first he planning to topple you, so you head to face him and then finish the planet.

So no grand story but each class has 2 unique quests that arnt oh my god moments but its something and it makes going through Kuat with every single class worthwhile.

This is much better than 1 story for each faction which is boring and not what people wanted from this game, if i wanted repetition in story id have stayed on WOW

When I level a new character, I dont even bother doing the class anymore. I mean I have gone through them all with Light and Dark choices but, with no additional chances at story in the future. I dont even bother I just run flashpoints and PVP. Maybe go do my class at 55 when I wanna power boost a crew skill and need a couple more companions but, its just so pointless. Planet leveling is really useless with flashpoint and PVP dailies. As well as with KDY.

I have done makeb three times, out of 21 level 55 characters across three servers. Makeb is just pointless. The planet lags. The story of makeb is the same thing for every character. Makeb was dull content that most people just completed after two or three days. Now people mainly go for xp until 55, or toborros. Nothing else.

Edit: I would like with the next expansion to actually get the level cap to 65 or 70. Then have two planets for Chapter 4 (class) story. 55-63 and 63-70. hell, even a location such as a Kuat "planet" would suffice to expand an individual class story.

Edited by AnteJeebuz

I don't find them necessary....but I do find what has been added is shallow compared to the base game. I look at other games in the industry to see that the likes of Makeb is not that odd as an add-on, but it has/had too little content to be considered a real expansion IMO.

In most games in the market you see new classes and/or archetypes/specs, a level extension with new abilities and an extension of the current overall storyline (which Makeb did provide) and naturally more daily content (also provided).

But generally most expansions in the market seem more fleshed out, even if they do not include some kind of new class or specialization. Makeb was certainly cheap one could argue, but perhaps compared to the base game something with a bit more meat on it's bones was in order.

I actually think that if Makeb had included things like GSF and GSH it would have been viewed a full fledged expansion by many more folks.

I will probably do Makeb with my last 3 toons (already did it with 5) simply to get that last level and finish RotHC. But I have been a sub since day one and I'm looking for another MMO to play. Right now if 3.0 is the same monotony,I would see myself gearing up the toons I like to run ops with then dropping down to preferred. Edited by EllieAnne

I'll sign this too, just to show my support. Completely agree that that is what makes 1-50 the coolest, and the reason that I have 10 55s today (with at least 2 more coming) is purely because I want to see what the stories are like. 50-55 is fast and boring.

And also, can I just throw in my 2 cents here about the dumbing down of the game aswell. Some of the bosses in the class stories are frickin tough when doing this for the first time. You need to know what to do, what to interrupt, and it really is a check if you are up to speed with the abilities the game has given you thus far. Not being like every other mmo was what sold this game to me completely and fully, so please keep it that way. :)

I'm VERY curious to see if (and what) the dev team have learned from Makeb. I can't wait to find out. So far, the only criticism of the content that I have was there was too long a period without the release of a warzone and operation, but aside from that I really feel they've done very well with Strongholds, Conquests and the tacticals. Now's the time to start thinking bigger.

I remember pre-release when they said they had like 8 chapters for each class already scripted.

VA contract's ended. Dev's leaving/fired happened. The end.

Scripting and voice acting are, by comparison, actually quite cheap.

Producing and debugging the content are not.

I don't expect class stories, but I'd be happy to be surprised. It would change my attitude, that's for sure. Frankly, if we get another Makeb, another 2 or 3 FP, 1 or 2 more Ops... I'll play them, but I probably won't stay long... I've burned all the existing content multiple times to the point of boredom, the new content won't last long if it isn't in depth.

Mannan was interesting about three times, then got boring. Rakata didn't even last more than once. The second time, spacebar... boring as snot...

I'd rather go back and roll another alt, Chapter 1 of most of the class stories is superior to EVERYTHING post 50 combined.

I remember pre-release when they said they had like 8 chapters for each class already scripted.

VA contract's ended. Dev's leaving/fired happened. The end.

And there's actually proof of that. Not eight chapters mind you but something post-Vanilla.

Regardless, that boat has long sailed.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

The anouncement of the Revan Expansion left me unpleasantly unsurprised that no new class story was anounced. Also it appears there will be no new Class added. This game was/is sold on its individual story, which has not been updated in 3 years. It ended at level 50 and we will now be going to level 60.

I spend a lot of time and money on SWtOR and I like the game a lot. I am happy BW/EA are making lots of money here, but I am really worried they are not investing much back in. As someone who plays all the classes on both factions more class story and another class would go a long way to keeping me playing.

BW has said it is not the cost of Voice Actors preventing more class content, and everyone enjoys it and wants more.