Revan .... I'm Sorry, but Really?

Lightstrake

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I believe that Bioware/LucasArts will decide on one canon ending, just like Revan is decided to be light-side male Jedi and Bastila returned to the light side as well from KOTOR.

For one it is already confirmed that Revan does not die, so either it follows the Republic side storyline or follow that Revan vanished without being killed by the Imp players. I'm going with the Republic side as it makes more sense. Revan is rescued by the Republic elite and will aid in the eventual fall of the Empire.

Also, I think the Jedi Knight killing the Emperor will be the canon ending as well, because otherwise you will have lore issues by the time Darth Bane emerges. Killing the Emperor will trigger the beginning of the end of the Empire. The Dark Council will emerge as the top dog, but as with all Sith they will become embroiled in bitter rivalries, throwing the Empire in disarray and without real leadership.

As far as I know, there is not any disrepancies here?

---SPOILERS! BE WARNED!---

---AGAIN! SPOILERS! FOR JK QUESTLINE, SW QUESTLINE, LVL 50 FPS!---

I believe it goes like this:

Republic free Revan --> He makes for the foundry --> Imperials kill him. Revan is dead. I killed him. (And yes, I felt like I killed a part of my childhood. Damn it BW :'<)

However, BW has stated that they "might" bring Revan back. We simply cannot know for now. It is open.

About the Emperor:

Now, this is a bit difficult to decide. Gotta piece some things together and judge for ourselves (for now...):

So we know the Jedi Knight kills "the emperor". End of Knight questline.

Also, supposedly, according to the Hand of the Emperor, it was but the voice, and the true form is gathering strength.

Before either of those happened, the Emperors Hand (Not Scourge, the player) set the Voice free on Voss.

So either the Hand is lying. Which would make perfect sense. The Emperor is not really needed, as long as the belief that he is alive exists.

Or, only the Emperors Voice was killed. Which would also make perfect sense. The amount of knowledge ANYONE has on him, especially the jedi, would probably be either wrong or deviate a tad from the truth.

About Malgus and the False Emperor:

It is entirely possible that Malgus either a) Truly (and possibly, correctly) believed that the emperor was dead. or b) that he simply believed him to be dead, as the jedi does. He is either mistaken, or misleading. Neither is unthinkable. He may simply have taken the opportunity to make a powergrab. He is sith after all.

---END OF SPOILERS!---

So, all in all, I do not think we will need a canon for this. I am quite certain BW has deliberately decided to make the storylines fit so as to not invalidate our stories.

Edited by Mephet

Really? You think Genocide = Not Sane in anyway, shape, or form?

You do realize that Genocide of the Sith Species was what the Jedi attempted to accomplish in the Great Hyperspace War? Seriously, Genocide of the Sith is old hat for the Jedi.

It also completely falls within Revan's character. Does Malachor V ring a bell? Yes, I think Revan was an awesome character but that does not mean I believe he was somehow infallable or that he should be unkillable. In the end, he was one man. Granted, I would have preferred it if Revan had simply died 300 years ago but there really isn't much room for Revan in Star Wars: The Old Republic.

It is the end of his story and the beginning of your own.

When it comes to Revan being corrupted, he took the first steps toward the Dark Side when he set foot on Malachor V. He got turned to the Dark Side, but the Emperor underestimated Revan and when Revan returned to known space he had broken free of his mental shackles. Revan began gearing up for war against the Empire, and felt that the only way to do so was from the Dark Side.

"Who I am is not important, my message is." ―Revan

"Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things, Revan… and yet you are nothing. In the end, you belong to neither the light nor the darkness. You will forever stand alone." ―Darth Malak

"Is that what he was? Or was he always true to himself, no matter what personality he wore? And there is something that the Council may never understand. That perhaps Revan never fell. The difference between a fall and a sacrifice is sometimes difficult, but I feel that Revan understood that difference, more than anyone knew. The galaxy would have fallen if Revan had not gone to war. Perhaps he became the dark lord out of necessity, to prevent a greater evil." ―Kreia

Thank you, I had been trying to argue it was not a leap for Revan to commit genocide, but I had forgotten about Malachor V, thanks for reminding me.

Though i would not say Revan was preparing to fight the Empire using the darkside. As he himself says he was both Jedi and Sith and by the end he was something entirely unqiue drawing upon both sides of the force.

This is a credit i have no problem giving him even if I believe many overestimate his abilities.

I think you're all forgetting, Revan is only level 20 at his max and the Imps who kill him are around 37!

(This is a reference to the original KOTOR, not a troll post)

In all seriousness, couple points to bring out:

- The Emperor didn't "turn" Revan to the darkside, as some people have stated, that's not what the book stated either. Revan and Malak were on the path to the dark side since The Mandalorian Wars, probably at Malachor V. When they met and challenged the Emperor, he dominated their minds and made them his puppets, they had already become "sith". However, at some point in time during their quest for the Star Forge, they broke free of the Emperor's domination and began to believe they had been acting on their own will.

- HK-47 did not die, he's in "The Battle of Ilum" and SW: Galaxies, which has been said multiple times.

- This is our story, not Revan's. Revan laid the groundwork for TOR, which is why he's in it, which is why TOR is essentially KOTOR III: Revan was the one who originally discovered the Sith Empire, and has succeeded in suppressing the Great War for 300 years. Even though it may not feel like it, KOTOR II and TOR are all about Revan's legacy. All throughout TOR Revan's name pops up, from Revanite cults on Dromund Kaas, the heart of the empire, to his descendent Sateale, the whole series is based around Revan and his legacy. We are simply the new generation, and as much as I'm sure they'll bring Revan back, I'm perfectly content with the way he went down.

Also, "Revan" was a terrific read, I highly recommend it. I find it funny at the people who enjoyed KOTOR and then call "Revan"s author horrible, considering Drew wrote KOTOR as well -_-, it's his story, and he ended it perfectly.

Edited by blindd

Also, "Revan" was a terrific read, I highly recommend it. I find it funny at the people who enjoyed KOTOR and then call "Revan"s author horrible, considering Drew wrote KOTOR as well -_-, it's his story, and he ended it perfectly.

This.

Really? You think Genocide = Not Sane in anyway, shape, or form?

You do realize that Genocide of the Sith Species was what the Jedi attempted to accomplish in the Great Hyperspace War? Seriously, Genocide of the Sith is old hat for the Jedi.

It also completely falls within Revan's character. Does Malachor V ring a bell? Yes, I think Revan was an awesome character but that does not mean I believe he was somehow infallable or that he should be unkillable. In the end, he was one man. Granted, I would have preferred it if Revan had simply died 300 years ago but there really isn't much room for Revan in Star Wars: The Old Republic.

It is the end of his story and the beginning of your own.

When it comes to Revan being corrupted, he took the first steps toward the Dark Side when he set foot on Malachor V. He got turned to the Dark Side, but the Emperor underestimated Revan and when Revan returned to known space he had broken free of his mental shackles. Revan began gearing up for war against the Empire, and felt that the only way to do so was from the Dark Side.

"Who I am is not important, my message is." ―Revan

"Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things, Revan… and yet you are nothing. In the end, you belong to neither the light nor the darkness. You will forever stand alone." ―Darth Malak

"Is that what he was? Or was he always true to himself, no matter what personality he wore? And there is something that the Council may never understand. That perhaps Revan never fell. The difference between a fall and a sacrifice is sometimes difficult, but I feel that Revan understood that difference, more than anyone knew. The galaxy would have fallen if Revan had not gone to war. Perhaps he became the dark lord out of necessity, to prevent a greater evil." ―Kreia

You guys missed the point of what I'm saying completely.

Just because it's a goal of a group of people who are normally considered good guys does NOT mean it's NOT crazy.

Genocide is wiping out an entire race of people. That's crazy. It doesn't matter WHO does it or for WHAT reason. It's. STILL. CRAZY. Period. End of story.

Even if genocide falls within someone's character, which I didn't say that it doesn't. IT'S STILL CRAZY!

Even if it is the most efficient way to end a galactic war. STILL CRAZY!

If you truly believe otherwise and say that genocide is a legitimate, logical, and totally okay means to an end, then I fear for you and I fear for humanity. Truly.

Malachor V was 300 years and many plot points ago. Revan tried to commit genocide then (as crazy then as it is now!) and look how well it turned out for him. Don't you think that, 300 years and several character arcs later, he'd have learned from his mistakes? Don't you feel a little bit cheated that he is right back where he started, having learned absolutely nothing from his cycle of corruption and redemption? That after all these years, he still fails to realize that wiping out an entire race of people based solely on their genetic ancestry is not the answer? I thought it was canon that Revan, after having his mind wiped and returning to the Light Side, had a concern for life Darth Revan did not previously have. HK-47 states as much during KOTOR, even going so far as to say that he is much improved now. But now with this Flashpoint, we're back to square one - genocide and total disregard for life.

That's why I feel it was disrespectful to his character to have him go out that way. I never entertained the illusion that he was infallible, because that's what made him interesting. But to completely backpedal his genuine character development...that's downright shameful.

I would have MUCH preferred a low-key, bittersweet but ultimately tragic ending to his tale. There was really no need to revert him back to his borderline megalomaniacal ways.

I also would've preferred it if we never heard him speak or saw his face (or if he wasn't in the game at all), and that he remained a tragic and mysterious figure. He was so hyped up in most fans' minds, nothing they rendered could have ever lived up to our expectations, so why show him at all?

Edited by DrMelhattan
corrected a typo

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't believe Revan should have been in this game at all. TOR is all about telling the story of the player character, and having them rescue (Republic) or kill (Sith) Revan seems, to me, like a cheap way of trying to validate the character's own status. But what bothers me the most about it is the story behind it. KOTOR was great and established a lot about the character. In TSL I know they needed a reason for him not to be around but I felt like the reason concocted for him was weak and totally absurd. The course of action that he took made no sense to me. I figure it's because they wanted to hit holiday sales so badly they just wrote the first thing that came to mind to be done with it.

Honestly, I think the only reason he even appears in the game is due to his popularity and Bioware is gonna keep trying to pull him out as a way of retaining fans. They can call this canon all they want, to me it smells like crappy fanfiction.

First of he is pwoerful yes, but he is not the most powerful, not even by longshot. Top tier yes, most powerful no.

Secondly have you been leveling through PvP and Flashpoints solely? Because if you play the story you would know that we are far from nobodies. We are heroes, we change the galaxy.

I mean as a Bounty Hunter, no as the greatest Bounty Hunter in the galaxy my final quest of my class story was to

Go after the Supreme Chancelor himself aboard his personal flagship

Does that sound like a nobody to you?

Compared to canon Revan...yes I even lay out Darth Maul as a nobody in Revans presence. And you want to say he's not even "close" to being the most powerful? Thats a laugh, theres only 1 Jedi in the movies that comes "close" to beating Revan, and thats Grand Master Luke. No one else in the movies stands much of a chance, I could see Revan beating Vader, Sidious and Dooku 3 on 1.

Compared to canon Revan...yes I even lay out Darth Maul as a nobody in Revans presence. And you want to say he's not even "close" to being the most powerful? Thats a laugh, theres only 1 Jedi in the movies that comes "close" to beating Revan, and thats Grand Master Luke. No one else in the movies stands much of a chance, I could see Revan beating Vader, Sidious and Dooku 3 on 1.

Even though I agree, I can see Obi-Wan/Yoda a match. Maybe Mace Windu with a little more training, but Obi-Wan could definitely be an apprentice of Revan and be on the same skill level as him. Or at least Yoda.

But Luke could beat him in a sparring match

Ok so explain how/why Revan would be able to beat Vader, Sidious and Dooku 3 on 1.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Ok so explain how/why Revan would be able to beat Vader, Sidious and Dooku 3 on 1.

I have no doubt Revans knowledge/command of the force is way higher than any one of them. Revan might be or is "the" number one best tactian in all of Star Wars. Another thing you should remember is, the farther back in history you go the greater the Jedi and Sith were, on top of that non of them know how to use both the light and the dark side as he does, he's the only Force user for a....very....very....long time to remain completely neutral and not falter ( This is all revolving around the current Revan not his time as sith or knight.) On top of his expertise of being a warrior, his knowledge is turned into power. nuff said.

And there was 1 key thing that led in Revan's defeat against the Emporer in the book. It was apparently he didn't have the solari crystal in his lightsaber which would have left Meetra oppenly to kill the Emporer since dark siders can't use a lightsaber with that crystal inside.

Edited by JediMasterRevan

Thats a laugh, theres only 1 Jedi in the movies that comes "close" to beating Revan, and thats Grand Master Luke. No one else in the movies stands much of a chance, I could see Revan beating Vader, Sidious and Dooku 3 on 1.

The fact BioWare allowed a group of four Empire characters to gang up and kill Revan (yes, he is dead. Get over it) kind of ruins your theory there. Not to mention canon wise they are likely to go for the "four class tag team" of a Sith Warrior, Sith Inquisitor, Bounty Hunter and Imperial Agent.

Edited by WhoDaresWins

The fact BioWare allowed a group of four Empire characters to gang up and kill Revan (yes, he is dead. Get over it) kind of ruins your theory there. Not to mention canon wise they are likely to go for the "four class tag team" of a Sith Warrior, Sith Inquisitor, Bounty Hunter and Imperial Agent.

Revan's not dead, bioware did the disppearance in case they want to bring him back so aka not officially dead. 4 nobodies don't take out one of the biggest and "the" biggest fanloved character of star wars. And my biggest argument that he's not dead is...Bioware...isn't the failure known as SOE. They don't ruin games, and they don't turn they're backs on they're most loyal fans.

I have no doubt Revans knowledge/command of the force is way higher than any one of them. Revan might be or is "the" number one best tactian in all of Star Wars. Another thing you should remember is, the farther back in history you go the greater the Jedi and Sith were, on top of that non of them know how to use both the light and the dark side as he does, he's the only Force user for a....very....very....long time to remain completely neutral and not falter ( This is all revolving around the current Revan not his time as sith or knight.) On top of his expertise of being a warrior, his knowledge is turned into power. nuff said.

And there was 1 key thing that led in Revan's defeat against the Emporer in the book. It was apparently he didn't have the solari crystal in his lightsaber which would have left Meetra oppenly to kill the Emporer since dark siders can't use a lightsaber with that crystal inside.

You still haven't explained how he would win, being able to use both sides of the force isn't instant win otherwise Kyle Katarn would be able to kill anyone.

You still haven't explained how he would win, being able to use both sides of the force isn't instant win otherwise Kyle Katarn would be able to kill anyone.

Take down Vader with his saber, while obsorbing and resending lightning from both Sidious and Dooku, after he's done with Vader he takes out Dooku, then Sidious....happy?

thats the short version fyi

Take down Vader with his saber, while obsorbing and resending lightning from both Sidious and Dooku, after he's done with Vader he takes out Dooku, then Sidious....happy?

thats the short version fyi

Would rather have the long detailed version thanks, this doesn't explain anything its not like Dooku and Sidious would just stand there using force lighting and even if they were how was he resending it back? Moreover I don't see him besting Dooku at all, seeing as only two(Yoda/Mace) could duel with him evenly.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Would rather have the long detailed version thanks, this doesn't explain anything its not like Dooku and Sidious would just stand there using force lighting and even if they were how was he resending it back? Moreover I don't see him besting Dooku at all, seeing as only two(Yoda/Mace) could duel with him evenly.

Revan's a better saber duelist than all of them and if you read the book you'd understand he would both absorb lightning with the force and with his lightsaber, he can even deflect it back with his saber. Again....the farther back in history you go...the "better" the force users were.

Revan's a better saber duelist than all of them and if you read the book you'd understand he would both absorb lightning with the force and with his lightsaber, he can even deflect it back with his saber. Again....the farther back in history you go...the "better" the force users were.

No they got better over time where has it been said that the old jedi/sith were better then the newer?, ok...now wait a minute. If he is fighting Vader, then how would he be able to block/absorb force lighting and still not get cut down by Vader?

No they got better over time where has it been said that the old jedi/sith were better then the newer?, ok...now wait a minute. If he is fighting Vader, then how would he be able to block/absorb force lighting and still not get cut down by Vader?

Apparently you didn't play kotor 2, and apparently you don't know how fast a "good" wrounded saber duelist is.

Apparently you didn't play kotor 2, and apparently you don't know how fast a "good" wrounded saber duelist is.

I have, and game mechanics are not canon anyway but thats not the point here. Even if Revan was wounded, he wouldn't be able to take an onslaught of force lighting and sabers.

I have, and game mechanics are not canon anyway but thats not the point here. Even if Revan was wounded, he wouldn't be able to take an onslaught of force lighting and sabers.

wrounded*

And what I mean by playing threw the game is not about the game mechanics, its about the things you learn, "If you were to face one of the Ancient Lightsaber Masters, you would find your nothing but a child with a toy compared to a true master. " Hense...farther back in history you go...a past Force user pwns. And why do I think Dooku and Sidious would sit back with lightning? because they'd both be scared...Dooku is a fool and Sidious couldn't beat his own master 1 on 1. Why did he pwn the Jedi in Ep 3? because they weren't THAT good. And Vader is "very" slow.

wrounded*

And what I mean by playing threw the game is not about the game mechanics, its about the things you learn, "If you were to face one of the Ancient Lightsaber Masters, you would find your nothing but a child with a toy compared to a true master. " Hense...farther back in history you go...a past Force user pwns. And why do I think Dooku and Sidious would sit back with lightning? because they'd both be scared...Dooku is a fool and Sidious couldn't beat his own master 1 on 1. Why did he pwn the Jedi in Ep 3? because they weren't THAT good. And Vader is "very" slow.

You do realize Keria was comparing the ancient masters to the Kotor era right? Dooku whooped both Obi-Wan and Anakin on the 1st round, 2nd round he whooped Obi-Wan again who was the master of Form 3. You seem to forget Dooku was one of the greatest swordmasters and jedi when he was in the jedi order, and that up until Anakin killed him only Yoda and Mace could fight evenly with him.

And Sidious wasn't a coward, he had surpassed his master. If anything his master was the weak one, because Sidious found out where he slept so he failed at hiding, he also failed at sensing an attack which is a very basic force ability so if he couldn't sense Sidious he was weak. And those 'weak' jedi as you call them, were great jedi masters and were easily killed because they were facing the most powerful sith lord in history.

Hmm...Vader slow huh? Ok....so tell me, if he was slow as you claim then how come he was able to kill a number of jedi including jedi masters who were younger and more agile then him?

Edited by Wolfninjajedi