Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

Cheezfriend

The same "community" that takes cheap shots at each other on the forums? Were you even around from 1.2 to 1.4? Did you forget the level of griefing and bad blood that existed then? Too bad they deleted most of those threads on our server forums.

And people like you don't seem to realize, it's no fun playing a WZ against the same 50 people up to valor 100. It gets stale. This is why the PVP server died out a lot faster than Dalborra.

If the servers were merged it would no longer be the same 50 ppl!

And I have been lurking around these boards since 2008. The community is better here than on the US servers.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The same "community" that takes cheap shots at each other on the forums? Were you even around from 1.2 to 1.4? Did you forget the level of griefing and bad blood that existed then? Too bad they deleted most of those threads on our server forums.

And people like you don't seem to realize, it's no fun playing a WZ against the same 50 people up to valor 100. It gets stale. This is why the PVP server died out a lot faster than Dalborra.

For the record, I got the game just as/before 1.2 came out and that was exactly when the AP Servers came out....so yes we were around then! :D A community means a group of people who function together, and are, in essence, a group of people; no where in 'community' is there mandatory friendliness, you're always going to have someone unfriendly, and I know that it'll be no better on the American servers. In game on AP you can ask questions and nearly ALWAYS receive a friendly answer without American players taking 'cheap shots' at us and calling us 'noobs' and 'idiots' and far more unpleasant things not really necessary to share on this forum.

So, given you don't seem to be an Australian player (I could most definitely be wrong, but 'IheartNYC' logically seems to have a certain American ring to it and the American servers in your signature clearly indicate you're not from our servers) then let those who wish to campaign campaign for their servers. It most likely won't get them anywhere, but it was certainly worth a try.

You haven't been around in our community long enough to know us. This is the forums, not the servers. Not everyone here is strictly an AP player. And certainly not everybody here is everyone on the servers, 90% are game loving, friendly and generally caring people.

Edited by WizardsDestiny

200 at 5pm on a Sunday night is a good number. Add those from the other servers who did not take part, bring back those who re-roll on US servers and we would have good numbers. Not Harbingers numbers but we could have enough for a couple of instances on the fleet.

But ppl like you don't seem to realise that we could have a good pop and our low ping and keep our community intact. I have a lvl 50 on the Harbinger and running any endgame content is like pulling teeth!

I'd have to agree. We have our community, even if admittedly the population isn't huge. The community exists.

I take issue with Bioware's repeated reason that it's for population. If our ping is so high- which I can't guarantee it willl be- to play, then what on earth does population matter? It certainly doesn't matter if you're too laggy not to play, but for them to put up with you. The tolerance span of players and lag I've found on my time on the Harbinger for that one toon is not huge.

Hear me out for a second eric.

1. Give free transfers to all on APAC.

2. Everyone from Darnala and Gav Daragon transfer over to Dalborra.

3. Merge the remaining data/players to dalborra after a few weeks.

4. Profit!!!

THIS IS WHAT WE ALL WANTED YOU TO DO. SIMPLE.

^ ^ This ^ ^

I like to hear why we could not atleast have the opportunity to have free transfers to Dalborra and allow a voluntary trial of the super server.

Because they don't care and never have cared. And, they try to make out like they care by offering a 'solution' which the majority of players didn't want.

The real reason is there aren't enough players on all three servers combined to make any kind of impact to their profit, so they are destroying the servers and making everyone play on american servers and cutting their losses.

thats good to hear but can you open the one time transfers to EU as well, as myself and a few matees from japan are playing on it there.

^this

i mistakenly made a character on dalborra when red eclipse was down, not realising that a different server is essentially a different world entirely. i've since subbed and am happily levelling away my other toons but i miss my guardian and she must be feeling lonely and unloved since i begrudge putting a lot of work in and losing out on all that lovely legacy xp

I like to hear why we could not atleast have the opportunity to have free transfers to Dalborra and allow a voluntary trial of the super server.

Because in BW/EAs calculation, the population bump would not be sufficient to bring the game up to their standards, even if every single APAC player took the option to transfer there. You may disagree, but it's why they made the decision they did.

Let's assume they have the stats; they have been collecting all sorts of metrics since the servers went live; they know how often WZs pop, how many FPs and OPs are done and by whom, and so on, and they've got all that info to analyse. If they had announced a super server, within a week they'd be dealing with the complaints about living on a dead server, and requests for transfers for mergers anyhow. Which would bring us right to where we are now.

It's a bummer, I agree.

Because in BW/EAs calculation, the population bump would not be sufficient to bring the game up to their standards, even if every single APAC player took the option to transfer there. You may disagree, but it's why they made the decision they did.

Let's assume they have the stats; they have been collecting all sorts of metrics since the servers went live; they know how often WZs pop, how many FPs and OPs are done and by whom, and so on, and they've got all that info to analyse. If they had announced a super server, within a week they'd be dealing with the complaints about living on a dead server, and requests for transfers for mergers anyhow. Which would bring us right to where we are now.

It's a bummer, I agree.

I'm a little more cynical, I feel they simply did not want to pay to run the servers out here and that's fair enough they should man up and admit it.

Edited by ChuangTzu

/bump for super-APAC server (Dalbora) !!!

Also a Bump for Super-APAC server

You should also invite those players back that have left the game <give them an incentive too... if you want them to spend money again>... AND those that have rolled toons on the NA servers... allow them to transfer those characters to the APAC servers... My guess is you will see a good percentage of those players going to the APAC servers

You will then see a healthy population again in APAC !!

APAC super server = Profit

Merger with NA server = LOSS of profit... TELL you Accounts to learn about gaming before you let them make such dumb decisions

SAVE the APAC server... sign the petition

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/keep-apac-servers-for-swtor-available-and-merge-them-into-1.html

I don't really blame them for closing the servers.

Going by the petition, they're only going to lose about 800~ subs from doing it. What's losing 800 subs compared to the hundreds of thousands that already play on EU/American servers?

They should just be honest about the reason for closing it though, not try to spin it that it's the best 'solution' for us. It's clear 90% of people don't want to transfer to american servers and would rather 1 apac super server.

I don't really blame them for closing the servers.

Going by the petition, they're only going to lose about 800~ subs from doing it. What's losing 800 subs compared to the hundreds of thousands that already play on EU/American servers?

They should just be honest about the reason for closing it though, not try to spin it that it's the best 'solution' for us. It's clear 90% of people don't want to transfer to american servers and would rather 1 apac super server.

You cannot go by the petition as its mostly only forum users and if the numbers that keep popping up are to be believed that most of the APAC region!

Nothing like alienating a whole region, better than a nuke...

Edited by Nommaz

You haven't been around in our community long enough to know us. This is the forums, not the servers. Not everyone here is strictly an AP player. And certainly not everybody here is everyone on the servers, 90% are game loving, friendly and generally caring people.

I have over 50 days played on Master D (that was my last count in December)...I think I've been around long enough :rolleyes:

For the record, MDN was not the nicest place that you are all seeming to remember with rose-tinted glasses. Some of us got along very well. Others were plain nasty. Lots of griefing and ganking and **** talking in game. Hence, the massive exodus of players from MDN since 1.2.

The Bastion general chats are actually very tame in comparison. The Harbringer general chats...wow. Every other chat is "Obama is a [****]" or "Your wife loves my [&&&&&&]". Whoever said PVE servers are nicer?

Edited by iheartnyc

You cannot go by the petition as its mostly only forum users and if the numbers that keep popping up are to be believed that most of the APAC region!

Nothing like alienating a whole region, better than a nuke...

And of those 800 that signed that petition, how many of them are going to stay subbed and continue playing on the Harbringer/Bastion? :p

Closing APAC is only going to have a miniscule impact on their subscriber base, while saving a lot in costs. Smart business decision. Given the bad state of the company, I don't blame them.

And of those 800 that signed that petition, how many of them are going to stay subbed and continue playing on the Harbringer/Bastion? :p

Closing APAC is only going to have a miniscule impact on their subscriber base, while saving a lot in costs. Smart business decision. Given the bad state of the company, I don't blame them.

Yeah exactly. Most people understand this.

What most people, me included, seem to be annoyed about is the way they are trying to spin it. If they had just said 'we're closing it down, not making any profit from it, can't support the server costs any longer given the player base on all 3 servers' I think most people would react like this:

'well that sucks, but fair enough.'

Yeah exactly. Most people understand this.

What most people, me included, seem to be annoyed about is the way they are trying to spin it. If they had just said 'we're closing it down, not making any profit from it, can't support the server costs any longer given the player base on all 3 servers' I think most people would react like this:

'well that sucks, but fair enough.'

Well obviously they're not going to come out on a public forum and tell the whole world, "Hey, we're struggling so we need to cut costs. Don't mind if you short our stock by the way!"

There are legal implications to any such announcements. EA would not be allowed to "selectively" publish material information that may be relevant to an investor, without making widespread dissemination of that same information to all of its shareholders. E.g., they would have to make a big deal about it by doing an SEC filing, press release, publishing on their website. Not. Going. To. Happen.

I'm 95% sure about my theory above is exactly what has and is happening. The only real question is a question of fact - is EA in such dire condition that EA needs to close the servers down? There really is no point in you guys getting so worked up over this anymore. You will not get the "straight" answer because Eric nor anybody else at Bioware has the authority. This is EA we are talking about, not some small private gaming company. They use advsior firms such as Sullivan & Cromwell, Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu, Goldman Sachs...every single press release they issue is likely vetted and reviewed by their advisors...and here we are demanding poor Eric to go against his orders and spill the beans.

Edited by iheartnyc

Well obviously they're not going to come out on a public forum and tell the whole world, "Hey, we're struggling so we need to cut costs. Don't mind if you short our stock by the way!"

There are legal implications to any such announcements. EA would not be allowed to "selectively" publish material information that may be relevant to an investor, without making widespread dissemination of that same information to all of its shareholders. E.g., they would have to make a big deal about it by doing an SEC filing, press release, publishing on their website. Not. Going. To. Happen.

No one's arguing with you about the reasons.

All we're saying it's very disappointing, and frustrating for apac players, they are insulting our intelligence by the spin they put on it.

The Harbringer general chats...wow. Every other chat is "Obama is a [****]" or "Your wife loves my [&&&&&&]". Whoever said PVE servers are nicer?

LOL.. yeah.. we have a bit of a vermin problem in /general chats on the server.

I just set out bacon laced traps for them and move on. :p

On a positive note... I don't see the Aussies on the server contributing much to the vermin population on the server, at least not so far. :)

Edited by Andryah

No one's arguing with you about the reasons.

All we're saying it's very disappointing, and frustrating for apac players, they are insulting our intelligence by the spin they put on it.

Well to be blunt, it's very naive (and possibly unintelligent) to expect EA to violate their fiduciary duties to its shareholders and violate their legal obligations by selectively disclosing material non-public information to you on a message board.

Well to be blunt, it's very naive (and possibly unintelligent) to expect EA to violate their fiduciary duties to its shareholders and violate their legal obligations by selectively disclosing material non-public information to you on a message board.

No one is expecting them to, me included.

Doesn't change the fact it's still very disappointing.

No one is expecting them to, me included.

Doesn't change the fact it's still very disappointing.

I think there have been over 50 posts in this thread asking for Eric to come out and say the "real reason" plus another couple hundred posts scattered around these forums trying to argue with Eric's rationale regarding APAC server shut-down, without stopping to consider that there are bigger issues at play here.

I think there have been over 50 posts in this thread asking for Eric to come out and say the "real reason" plus another couple hundred posts scattered around these forums trying to argue with Eric's rationale regarding APAC server shut-down, without stopping to consider that there are bigger issues at play here.

They are just venting, no one *expects* them to actually do it.

Everyone complains about politicians lying through their teeth too, and calls for them to tell the truth. No one actually expects it to happen.

We care about the bigger issues as much as they have shown to care about us