What is a good DPS output?

manicPsyche

Without getting bogged down in the details of skill trees and gear builds and stats. What would be considered to be a respectable DPS output (1000?, 1500?) say for a typical gunslinger with BH gear? I'd like to know whether the results I'm getting are Ok or not. If my gear/stats is roughly the same as everyone else fine and it's just me not getting my rotation right for sustained DPS.

I've been testing on an OPS training dummy on my ship whilst running the MOX desktop Parser.

Edited by manicPsyche

If you want to do NM EC then in total I believe the bosses have 1.7 million health with a 5 minute enrage timer. With 5 DPS (each tank is 1/2 a DPS) then you will need a total of 1,700,000/(5*60) which averages out to a group DPS of 5667 meaning each DPS will need 1133 and each Tank will need 566. This may seem easy but with the swaps you lose about 15 seconds 5 times which is 1.25 minutes off. With this you should have a DPS of around 1511

Putting class aside for a moment, I can give some details on numbers our guild cleared toth/zorn NiM with, from me as a DPS. One of 4 in an 8 man.

We took them down last night, Zorn has 936k, I did 414k on him, slacked off before jumps a lot, rotation was scruffy, paused to do about 20k healing on healers when they were low.

My DPS over the fight was 1332dps.

Toth has 813k, he died 3 seconds before Zorn and Zorn was enraged for perhaps 1 second.

The Handler Murdock is considered a separate fight for some reason, parsers start again and your medpack lockout resets.

He's got 313k, I did 80k working out to 1520dps, to be fair he's never really a challenge unless you end fighting toth/zorn with most of the raid dead.

You might say my dps is unimpressive but my damage avoidance was near perfect and you can see the percentage of each boss I'm taking. Ultimately it's a clear.

If you want to see what that raid looked like then check it out, I was the camera man:

And my parses: http://www.torparse.com/a/50219/9

Gearing-wise I'm short of most 27 armourings and my 27 barrel. Everything else is maxed and in my opinion, optimal.

Edited by Gyronamics

I'd agree with most of what has been said. With min/maxed Campaign/BH gear you should be hitting about 1700-1800 DPS on a target dummy, although I've seen as high as just over 1900, or even as little as 1600. A lot will depend on what buffs you are using, parse duration, etc. For just basic BH gear, probably a bit lower.

The real challenge is converting that dummy DPS into a live fight. For most relatively standstill fights, 1300-1400 is probably a good number to shoot for at first. Once you start maxing out your gear and getting Dread Guard level you should be able to push that up to 1500-1600 with some work, or even pulling 1800-2000 on *really* standstill fights like Annihilation Droid.

Edited by Synavix

Thanks for the advice.

When you guys have got a parser recording your DPS. Do you take an average over 'x' many fights or take an average over 'x' minutes on a training dummy?

I've been trying a DF spec on a training dummy, but combat doesn't finish until all DOTs have ended, and if im sat there waiting for them to finish it brings the DPS down. So is there a way of getting round this?

Upload your combat log to http://www.torparse.com/ and use the analytic view. In the Damage Dealt section you can adjust the time frame window. This'll let you see your dps over the time you want

I visited this site and clicked on the ‘Overall’ > ‘Damage’ to check out other DPS stats, the biggest hitter is a gunslinger doing 4357.64 over 3 minutes :eek: How the F do you do that sort of damage? Or have people been doctoring their combat log before uploading?

Edited by manicPsyche

I visited this site and clicked on the ‘Overall’ > ‘Damage’ to check out other DPS stats, the biggest hitter is a gunslinger doing 4357.64 over 3 minutes :eek: How the F do you do that sort of damage? Or have people been doctoring their combat log before uploading?

It's a parse of the Fabricator fight on Story Mode, so he had 3 people chaining fire debuff 100% of the time for the whole duration.

That was my Torparse with the 4300 dps. Yes it was on Fabricator in Karagga's Palace on story mode as I was in a random group finder for a weekly BH comms run. Every time I am in such a run, I have to run the puzzle due to the lack of pug talent to solve the puzzle. I managed to find a group that could run it, and having a guild member post a +4000 dps on such a fight, i tried to dps as best I could. I got a little overzealous plus poor puzzle solving but ended up with 4300ish dps.

The key is to know your fight, know your rotation. Gear does not make the player. I would rather take an undergeared alt of a quality player than someone who has gear by being carried by their raid.

Also ignore many Overall on torparse, check specific fights, only look at kill shots, try and find where not just the top class dps is, but where several others are in comparison.

Braedenz is absolutely correct, and I'd actually like to add on to what he mentioned.

One thing that I would very much recommend to anyone who is interested in really improving (and has lots of free time to spare) would be rolling a tank or healer to see fights from their perspective, even if it's only on Story Mode. Seeing fights from another perspective and learning what types of damage you can just "tank" and be healed through, or which abilities make tanking hard/easy, when taunts are difficult or when they're able to be thrown out whenever are all things that will help you play a DPS better. They also help you learn how to be a better raid utility, with learning the prefect timings for raid shields, when aggro dumps are most useful, or when they can be ignored, and even how to handle mechanics that you otherwise never have to deal with.

Similarly, make very good friends with your main tank or raid leader, and ask him to play a gunslinger/sniper if he has the time. Improving your tanks strategy will improve your DPS just as much as altering your own. The best tank I ever knew was one who plays a Gunslinger as his "main alt". He always knew when I'd want to drop my XS, which adds could be tanked close together for AoE damage, or which adds needed to be pulled/pushed out of the group so that I could AoE without breaking CC. Small changes in strategy often mean huge changes in DPS. I've often seen parses of fights with identical rotations, but the resulting DPS was a few hundred different....all just from using a better strategy.