1.3 changes to sniper!

Zunayson

Source: http://www.swtor.com/blog/class-changes-and-balance-game-update-1.3

Rapid Fire is now a passive (Most likely will be in MM Tree and replace where Sniper Volley is now) that reduces the cooldown of Ambush and Series of Shots

Sniper Volley is now the 31 pnt MM talent that instantly finishes the cooldown on Series of shots, and still provides energy and alacrity bonuses.

I think that the cooldown reduction will definitely help (It'll probably be like 3 seconds each, I guess, but I hope more :)). The sniper Volley change is definately good. the 15% chancemakes it too proc-ey for me, and when I get it, I usually don't want it, and vice versa. This is usually because when in Sniper Volley mode, I spam snipe (Seeing as you et 9 eps, that's 13.5 energy between globals on average), instead of using my normal rotation. This is bad as it lowers my damage from followthrough and what not.

What do ya'll think of these MM changes?

Edited by Zunayson

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MM tree was nerfed, bad imo. You can no longer cast 3 SoS back to back. Just 2. The CD reduction does not make up for this as there was almost no down time as is already, being able to activate the sniper volly on demand is nice but not at the cost of whats been done.

The alacrity boost removal from TA has also nerfed burst dmg output for MM. The combination of RF and TA gave massive dmg, especially if you had your - induction for Ambush proced.

The accuracy boost added to TA is useless, I already have as much accuracy as I need.

The armour pen is nice, but I don't think it will be enough to make up for the other nerfs especially if the CD remains the same... I'm very sad, along with the relic and adrenal changes to PvP they've basically taken away all our burst, which is what our job was and what we were supposed to do.

This is a huge nerf and I'm really sad....

Edit: the 45 sec CD on the top teir talent is nice though.

Edited by Lithy

I was using the machine gun sniper build (basically casting 3 SoS in 4,7 sec with Sniper Volley, relic, and TA). Now it is gone.

Rapid Fire was useless for PvP, i think with these changes MM might have some new uses. Sniper Volley on demand is awesome, having 9 EPS is crazy. I think these changes in the long term will be beneficial. As for extra accuracy, don't worry, with so many accuracy debuffs in game, this might just be the thing that we need.

You guys do realise that Accuracy above 100% decreases the opponents ability to parry, block, or dodge incoming attacks, right? It's pretty sweet, both for PvE and PvP, especially coupled with 15% Armor Penetration. Furthermore, reduced CDs for Ambush and SoS and a new on demand Alacrity and energy regeneration boost that also finishes the CD for SoS sounds very good to me. I'd actually say that these changes will increase MM DPS.

You guys do realise that Accuracy above 100% decreases the opponents ability to parry, block, or dodge incoming attacks, right? It's pretty sweet, both for PvE and PvP, especially coupled with 15% Armor Penetration. Furthermore, reduced CDs for Ambush and SoS and a new on demand Alacrity and energy regeneration boost that also finishes the CD for SoS sounds very good to me. I'd actually say that these changes will increase MM DPS.

All the CD reductions etc are great for PvE, amazing even. But we've had burst removed in favour of sustained, this hurts PvP. Especially when coupled with the adrenal and relic nerfs. I already have my accuracy at a point where unless they blow a CD I almost never get deflected, though I guess we can pop TA when they pop saber ward and ignore their CD. Which I didn't think of 'till just now, which is nice.

Edited by Lithy

Lack of burst? We still have an Alacrity boost (and it's on a 1m 15s shorter CD) which even gives us more energy regeneration, and a boost that gives us more armor penetration and Accuracy. We have not lost much burst at all, and definitely not compared to other classes. Furthermore, we can now use Ambush and SoS more often. Edited by BongoFrenzy

*** are you guys talking about? 1.3 looks amazing for sniper pvp. Only a nub or a PVE encounter would sit there and let you get 3 SoS off. Hell you were lucky to get 2 of them off. I wouldn't base my thoughts on what happens when you play againts bad players.

The biggest burst moves got improvements. Increased armor pen for SoS, TA made to further increase armor pen, lower cooldown on SoS and ambush, and a very good 31 talent MM tree.

Sometimes I just do not get people. These changes are awesome - I retired my 50 sniper because I refuse to play anything but MM however MM was just lacking in PVP. These changes will make him come back if made in to live server.

Edited by tynt

.... I retired my 50 sniper because I refuse to play anything but MM however MM was just lacking in PVP. These changes will make him come back if made in to live server.

If you were having trouble in PvP as an MM sniper before, this patch will not save you. We are currently in a awesome place in PvP and cause serious pain on the opposing teams. Sorry bud, but MM was not lacking, you were.

Lack of burst? We still have an Alacrity boost (and it's on a 1m 15s shorter CD) which even gives us more energy regeneration, and a boost that gives us more armor penetration and Accuracy. We have not lost much burst at all, and definitely not compared to other classes. Furthermore, we can now use Ambush and SoS more often.

We already had this boost, the only difference is now its on a button push. We could get to 30%, which gave us a 2 sec or lower SoS, could very easily get 2+ off in many situations.

We already had this boost, the only difference is now its on a button push. We could get to 30%, which gave us a 2 sec or lower SoS, could very easily get 2+ off in many situations.

Yes, we could in some situations, but I sure prefer more Accuracy and Armor Penetration. Now MM might actually become viable against tanks...

Edited by BongoFrenzy

If you were having trouble in PvP as an MM sniper before, this patch will not save you. We are currently in a awesome place in PvP and cause serious pain on the opposing teams. Sorry bud, but MM was not lacking, you were.

Agreed, however some tanks was almost impossible to burn down. These changes are very much a PvP boost to MM. I like it even though I already wreck face in PvP as MM :3

To those claiming we've lost burst due to adrenal/rapid fire nerf, you were doing it wrong. Even though I can easily pull off 3 SoS in a row in any WZ, you should front load EP and land Ambush+FT for instant 10k damage. Squishies die in 3-5 GCDs once you unload.

Looking forward to seeing these changes on live servers!

Sniper volley currently works great for energy regen, and is a lower tier ability. This change making it a 31 pt active ability will hurt the PVE snipers more because it will reduce sustained damage.

Currently if spec'd 3 into it is procs about once every 7(15%) attacks and gives 50 % increase in energy regeneration for 10 seconds.(can not occur more than once every 20 seconds)

Once they make it active instead of passive, it WILL have a cooldown, It will probably cost energy to use. The cooldown would have to be less than 30 seconds and the regen rate would have to be greater than 50 % for 10 seconds with minimal energy cost to use, to make it work better than it does.(for energy management) The reduced cooldown on our other attacks from it will be useless since it will unltimately result in lower energy to be able to use your current rotations. This means more rifle shots in boss fights. I don't see this as a good thing.

And yes I know my numbers above are NOT exact, they are just an estimate. Someoen else can crunch the DPE numbers.

To those claiming we've lost burst due to adrenal/rapid fire nerf, you were doing it wrong. Even though I can easily pull off 3 SoS in a row in any WZ, you should front load EP and land Ambush+FT for instant 10k damage. Squishies die in 3-5 GCDs once you unload.

Looking forward to seeing these changes on live servers!

You will lose your burst on the EP/Ambush/FT rotation because of the adrenal nerf. That's completely unrelated to the RF change, it just happens to effect it and all other Burst rotations you have. If your smart, your opener now should be after the adrenal, no matter what opener you use. This won't be the case in the future. That 10K opener will be 8-9 k after the changes unless you don't use adrenals on it now. 10 K does seem low. (see what I did there)

MM was lacking compared to Sorc madness. This is not at noob lvls of play I understand at lower lvls of play mm was fine. I have both and Sorc dps was more reliable and provided same burst over 10 sec period.

This was not counting defense cool downs that completely shutdown MM.

Again these are great for competitive higher lvls of pvp. I apologize if that does not apply to you.

Edited by tynt

MM was lacking compared to Sorc madness. This is not at noob lvls of play I understand at lower lvls of play mm was fine. I have both and Sorc dps was more reliable and provided same burst over 10 sec period.

This was not counting defense cool downs that completely shutdown MM.

I am talking at level 50 (I am rank 78). MM is a very powerful spec to use on live servers. Sorcs can be interrupted / stunned, which may be why they get their more reliable burst (as you claim, I don't agree). The ability to pop entrench and turret is a very impressive ability to have. Anyway,getting off track and I still agree with what I said earlier... If you think MM is weak now and are waiting for 1.3 to become "good" then you will be disappointed.

I am talking at level 50 (I am rank 78). MM is a very powerful spec to use on live servers. Sorcs can be interrupted / stunned, which may be why they get their more reliable burst (as you claim, I don't agree). The ability to pop entrench and turret is a very impressive ability to have. Anyway,getting off track and I still agree with what I said earlier... If you think MM is weak now and are waiting for 1.3 to become "good" then you will be disappointed.

MM is not exactly weak, but as it is now, it has disadvantages compared to Lethality in PvP. However, it seems that this patch might make two specs equally viable in PvP.