Where is the emotion?

Lionflash

Before I start, let me first clarify, I think the voice acting is great. I'm always amazed by how much there is and how far they've pushed it. Unfortunately, I find that there is a serious lack of emotion in my characters, specifically the 8 classes.

I haven't played them all yet, and not all the way to level 50, but I have yet to hear my character ever get emotional or... 'loud' about anything.

I was recently playing my male IA (whom, personally, is my favorite voice actor in the game), and without getting into any spoilers (and if you've played the IA you should know what I'm talking about), basically there are parts of the story where I would think my character would be yelling at someone at the top of his lungs.

I've even chosen a few dialogue options with an exclamation mark thinking my character us going to cuss someone out, or yell at someone or cry or scream or... anything really.

Every class I've played seems to be the same thing. When you are having a confrontation, every character seems to be calm, poised and collected. I've even seen my IA get knocked to his feet by an explosion and hold his head in pain, yet the voice work has him speaking all... regular. Perhaps it's the IA, the cool headed agent, but as I said, all of the other classes seem to be the same.

I'm sure many of you have been so mad at an NPC in the game that you couldn't wait to finally kill them. The same goes for me, but everytime it's always a... "Hey buddy, I'm gonna take you down..."

I'm exagerating a bit, but it's what it feels like to me. Anyone else bothered by this? Is there any class story that has an emotional lead? The only emotions I've ever seen (which aren't actually emotions) are flirting, and all the characters seem to flirt the same way; they play coy and sarcastic and shoot out these chessy one liners which get's most of the NPCs all hot and bothered.

Anyway, just what I was thinking about over lunch.

TL;DR - I want my character to yell at someone.

I gave up on emotions after the scene when my smuggler's ship was stolen and she acted like she lost and old broken pen. Even petitioned that in beta.

Looks like deep down all our characters are jedi. There is no emotions - there is peace :)

Only time I ever felt emotion in this game was during the Sith Inquisitor story on Balmorra you have to rescue a captain's son who was a Sith. My Sith ended up killing him for sport and he started screaming at me he was a good boy and he'd kill me. I actually felt pretty bad. Sadly thats it though.

Only time I ever felt emotion in this game was during the Sith Inquisitor story on Balmorra you have to rescue a captain's son who was a Sith. My Sith ended up killing him for sport and he started screaming at me he was a good boy and he'd kill me. I actually felt pretty bad. Sadly thats it though.

That son was a real douche though, also I forgot how tragic it all was with the "Congratulations with your promotion, Captain:"

Darth Baras has lots of emotion. :p But anyway, ya I can kinda agree on that would like a little bit more emotion from PCs. Perhaps, OP you could suggest it to the devs cause this isn't really the place for it.

I wasn't going to bother them with this. It's too late now to do anything about it anyway. It's not like they are going to srop everything, erase their whiteboards, re-evaluate their priorities and put up a big pink post-it note that says "Lionflash Needs More Emotion ~".

It's too late to rewrite the script or recapture the audio. I was just hoping someone would say something like "You should check out the SW, he's always like this and says such and such."

I definitely get where you're coming from. Although after the :| face the Warden (player character) had in Dragon Age: Origins, it's nice to have some emotive facial expressions to go with the dialogue, at least. ;P

I sort of wonder if this is a case of sticking to neutral ground: not making anything too extreme because one player might have expected it, but another would have found it out of character. If your paraphrase line is "I'm going to kill you now!", it could be anything from a scream of rage to a grim, menacing growl. BW can't know which people would prefer, so they kept it neutral.

...it's a theory, anyway :)

I do think the IA in particular is a master of cool, though. Playing through the story alongside my friend's IA, I can't remember him ever losing his composure, and it never seemed inappropriate.

I think my fem!BH has raised her voice at people a few times, but her vocal style seems to be more "gritty ******" than anything else.

In the SW story, on Dromund Kaas:

Baras is torturing the Republic guy. Vette says she's going to be sick, and one of the options leads to your character saying with extreme annoyance: "Well, if you're going to be sick, don't do it all over my boots!"

And later:

When Baras betrays you, you sound genuinely angry if you vow to kill them both before almost being blown up.

I definitely get where you're coming from. Although after the :| face the Warden (player character) had in Dragon Age: Origins, it's nice to have some emotive facial expressions to go with the dialogue, at least. ;P

I sort of wonder if this is a case of sticking to neutral ground: not making anything too extreme because one player might have expected it, but another would have found it out of character. If your paraphrase line is "I'm going to kill you now!", it could be anything from a scream of rage to a grim, menacing growl. BW can't know which people would prefer, so they kept it neutral.

...it's a theory, anyway :)

I do think the IA in particular is a master of cool, though. Playing through the story alongside my friend's IA, I can't remember him ever losing his composure, and it never seemed inappropriate.

I think my fem!BH has raised her voice at people a few times, but her vocal style seems to be more "gritty ******" than anything else.

Yes, I hated the :| face too in DA:O that's a funny way of putting it, lol. It's one of the many reason I liked DA2 more than DA:O.

(I'm not going to get into that now, I have so many times before, but this is the SWTOR boards)

That's unfortunate that they would make that sarcrifice in order to keep things neutral and stale.

Now that I have you, (and I'm not going to make another thread for this), but a bit off topic... is there such a thing as a LS Bounty Hunter? And by that I mean, not a total D for boys, or a total B for girls...?

I liked that I can tailor my IA to not come accross as a loyal, dutybound jerk. I'm wondering if there are dialogue options for the BH that aren't "Pay me and you've got my attention..."

I find my Inquisitor generally annoyed with any response I give when ticked off at an npc. He never goes into a bloody screaming rage, but then again I never find him in a situation where he would do so. I am only half-way through a SW alt so I have not played all the classes completely, but I find the emotion in the game to be rather strong from any npc I encounter and especially fitting for my DS SI (perhaps because I play the easily annoyed Sith is why I am not noticing any lack of emotional yelling or screaming, just the sharp venom in the tone).

That is just my opinion of course.

Yes, I hated the :| face too in DA:O that's a funny way of putting it, lol. It's one of the many reason I liked DA2 more than DA:O.

Haha, yeah. As many flaws as DA2 may have had, it was nice to see Hawke making various faces. XD

Now that I have you, (and I'm not going to make another thread for this), but a bit off topic... is there such a thing as a LS Bounty Hunter? And by that I mean, not a total D for boys, or a total B for girls...?

I liked that I can tailor my IA to not come accross as a loyal, dutybound jerk. I'm wondering if there are dialogue options for the BH that aren't "Pay me and you've got my attention..."

Oh, totally. I mean, your BH isn't going to ever be a powderpuff, cheerful person, but you can be nice, for sure. How well you think that fits the BH job description is up to you; there are some who would say that a "real" bounty hunter is not a hero.

My BH is LS IV, and I think a lot of that comes from sparing people who have nothing to do with your objectives and generally being honorable. I don't think anyone could describe her as a B*... except her actual targets, I guess. ;) And various disgruntled Pubbie NPCs.

Following your off-topic: My bounty hunter loves the underdogs and hates the Empire, so she only demands money for work from Imperials, never refugees etc.

I don't mind the low-key voice acting, but I wish there was some more emotion in animations. I just won the Great Hunt and my bounty hunter's just standing there looking calm. She should be smiling, at the very least!

If there was more emotion people would be up in arms complaining that their "stoic heroes" are gone. I think the voice acting is extremely well done for every class I have played, though the SW and the characters involved in that story are the best.

And it sort of makes sense for Jedi anyway.

Yea, probably better that they didn't go all out on emotions, as I'm sure people would then have gone on about it being "over the top". That said, I found many of the voices expressive, and out oft he two IA voices (male/female) the male one definitely seems to have a lot more emotional variance than most of the player voices in game (and I've played a lot of them.)

The Republic voice acting is terrible compared to the actor's for the Imps, If they were that bad at just the cut scene parts I would hate to have to struggle through them getting emotional :eek::eek:

That's not true. Only today my Fem Consular confronted a traitor to the Republic. I chose the darkest response which went something like this:

"I'm going to enjoy killing you... so.... much..."

It wasn't shouting anger, but you could definately feel it, like a seething anger. I've managed to make my Agent nearly shout as well, when he found out what a certain companion was doing, and my Inquisitor is always loaded with sarcasm and hate.

Sadness.. Now that's something I haven't seen from any of my characters. The closest I've seen is when Darth Mortis broke someone's neck, which was touching, but not my character.

I feel like they had 3 dialogue options to work with, if they wanted to keep 1 of them as the stoic hero they could have done that. But now we have 3 choices and each one of them doesn't really convince me that the character even really means what he/she is saying.

However, as an update. I was continuing my IA sotryline and in regards to the romance of that class...

When Ensign confronted my Agent on continuing their relationship she asked him to break it off with Kaliyo. After trying to end things smoothly with Kaliyo she took a cheap shot at Ensign (verbal) and then stormed off.

Ensign asked if my Agent was okay, and I had 3 dialogue choices after Kaliyo left the room. Something along the lines of...

I'm fine.

She's nuts.

I don't want to talk about it.

...I think... Anyway I chose to 'not want to talk about it' because that's rule #1; don't talk about past girfriends, and my Agent said something along the lines of " *stutter* It's--fine...Just--I don't want to talk about it." (more or less, I can't exaclty remember).

Sees that I was happy with, left me almost feeling bad about the whole thing. It was the first time I think my Agent seemed to care about something (and he's pretty much LS) It bothered me that I might have made the wrong choice, and that's a good thing.

... some faith was restored.

In a conversation with my Consular on Belsavis, I did a double take and hit esc to make sure I wasn't imagining things. Why, you ask? He laughed. Just a little bit, and it was no big deal . . .

Apparently, he was amused that the droid holding him in the psych unit had been told he was there due to delusions that he was a Jedi.

But it was then that I realized how unexpressive he was. I get that Jedi are supposed to be peaceful and not give into emotions and stuff . . . but a little smile or a frown here and there is a far cry from being "emotional". I guess maybe they do that so they don't go against what people imagine their characters to be like?

My Sith Warrior seems somewhat more expressive though (which makes sense), so I guess class has a bit to do with it. I think some small moments like the one I mentioned above would have helped to make certain classes seem a bit more . . . I don't know, personable? Interesting?

Then again, I may have missed some more subtle displays of emotion, as both my Force-users are Miraluka and so the top half of their faces are covered. Which would have been a blessing on my human Smuggler, though, since whenever she frowned or looked thoughtful the animation looked all funky on her face. Hey, maybe that is the real reason why our characters show so little emotion . . . animation issues! :p

Edited by Gwena

ok so you characters dont get over emotional but i played my knight as a bit of a emotional head but still good.

when orgus gets killed i made my knight pick all the "evil" diologue and he sounded so emotional i loved it, it truely felt like he cared about hi master.

however playing my consular i have so far picked all light diologue (or top ones) and he was started to sound like a droid.

once my warrior got to max dark side points i started to throw around the 3 options and i have found that if u mix it there is emotion there but as i said if you pick the top middle or bottom diologue all the time it seems to be missing.

So my advice mix around a little and u will see the difference.

I understand this is partly a matter of opinion, but I think they got it about right with the classes I've played so far - SI and IA.

I like how restrained my IA is, because I think it fits the class rather well. Someone like him has to keep their head in a crisis and has to keep personal feelings out of their work. Some people just don't show their emotions. Some people just don't react emotionally to things that would affect others. I can see them being the sort of person Imperial Intelligence would want to take on.

With my SI, I get the impression he's a very angry man. So angry he doesn't even go through the shouting phase before hitting ice-cold fury. I find it far more chilling that he might enjoy hurting someone horribly while not once raising his voice. Using his rage as a precision instrument to cause as much harm as possible and always, always maintaining enough control that he can take a step back and decide just what's going to hurt you the most.

That son was a real douche though, also I forgot how tragic it all was with the "Congratulations with your promotion, Captain:"

I felt a bit bad for killing him, but it was worth it just to beat the tar out of his bratty son. Seriously, that boy was just too stupid to live.