How bout tuning down Hammer station lvl 17?

at this level the gear is terrible, we don't have the majority of our abilities and only a few skill points.... the final boss has high damage, high armor and 3 or 4 different movement mechanics. the only time it goes flawless is when its' a guild run in vent and we're all twinked, or if there's at least one toon in the mid 20's - preferably a tank or healer.

having to outlevel an instance shouldn't be part of the mechanics of the instance.

yes i get it, some of you can solo nyghtmare mode's at lvl 1 with nothing but grey gear because you're leet and can L2P and you're pro, we're noobs and any other stupid internet trash talk and self gloss you can come up with.

for the rest of us, it's a bit off-putting as at lvl 16 through 20 we are in fact learning 2 play our toons and tanks don't have taunts in many cases, and healers don't have all their heals.. either tune it down a tad.. maybe take out one of the boss aoe's, or increase their timers, maybe spawn only one add, or make his armor not so awsome. i don't care. failing repeatedly with different /LFG's shouldn't be 'the way' an instance is until i hit 25 and then can then go through and faceroll

I was surprised to actually fail the boss fight of this flashpoint when testing the Groupfinder on the PTS. You're right that there are some mechanics to pay attention to, but most of them are pretty simple:

1. Kill adds when they show up. (Knockbacks are great for this!)

2. Don't stand in circles.

3. Avoid Sweeping Gunfire. You probably don't have your interrupt yet, but you can also avoid the damage from this by moving out of the way(!). This is the key mechanic that I wasn't previously aware of, and it can really make or break a "correct level" group's attempt.

Hey, talk about a small world. We were just discussing this in-guild a few days ago. Myself (level 17 powertech sorta-tank-but-few-tank-abilities) in inheritance and birthright gear along with well augmented oranges and a level 20 operative healer who was similarly alt-geared for fast progression got facerolled by the boss twice. This is with two companions that were well geared and had huge presence boosts that put them above 3500 health.

Okay, whatever. We pulled in a level 18 juggernaut and a level 19 merc. Two more defeats, with the boss getting down to the 20-30 percent. ***? We're knocking/burning adds, I'm trying to tank with no aoe taunt, etc. One of us finally came in with a main. IIRC, none of us had an interrupt yet. Considering we can clear most of EC HM and I run Lost Island every week, I'd like to think that the fight's mechanics weren't unmanageable for us. We started calling the boss "Baby Denova" as a joke. Looking way back at my first time in this flashpoint, I think I got stuck at the main boss repeatedly as well until I outleveled it.

When run at its intended level Hammer Station is shockingly difficult.

Edited by Powerrmongerr

I've run this three times in different pugs on a L16-17 Commando. First time went badly and people quit after the first wipe. Second group cleared it first time (had a commando & 2 scoundrels, so lots of healing.) Third group wiped once then cleared it when people paid more attention to not standing in bad stuff (I was the only person with a heal that time.) Is it harder than most of the HM 50 FPs? Yes. It's far from impossible though and I really don't see how a non-pug group with a decent grasp of the mechanics could have any issues... just don't stand in the red circles or in front of the boss...

My friend and I (both 50s) duo'd Battle of Ilum and False emperor as relatively new 50s. (my second 50, his first, but I retired the other one). We later decided that level 50 was a little slow, (don't get me wrong, Ops are a lot of fun, but getting gear takes awhile) so we made some Alts. I am a guardian tank, he is a commando DPS, and we decided the other side will be fun. He made a power tech, I made a Sith Marauder. I decided to stop the marauder, and try an Operative. I loved it. (the Op is level 44 now)

So, my Operative and his PowerTech strolled into Hammer station, with our shiny cyber tech grenades, his mako heals, and my Kolto injections. First boss went down hard, he did most of the damage, while I shot down explosive droids, and kept Kaliyo busy, second boss was a little more tricky, but I did a 1-minute stun on the medic, so we managed to tank them down. Then came the overseer...

He was very hard. I'm not even sure if we beat him. But, I learned his mechanic, almost ALL of his abilities are AoEs. His "sweeping gunfire" is also just an AoE. Even if you don't see a circle, and even if the blaster fire doesn't hit you; MOVE. The big PowerTech oof didn't move at all, really. And I was lethality spec, not healing spec, so I couldn't help him. The battle was lost.

If you are too lazy to read my story, here is the short version: kill the reinforcements he summons, make sure you have a healer (even if it is a companion), and DONT STOP MOVING.

I would raise this point for those having difficultly with the last boss. The sweeping gunfire aoe centers on whoever has aggro at the start of the cast and is a big cone. If the tank initiates and can maintain aggro it is possible to turn the boss so only hit the tank is within the cone. It much the same thing as turning the turrets of stormcaller and firebrand in EC.

What i tend to do at level for the fight is have the tank go to the right of the console while the other party members go left. This way you have party members near both add spawn points as well more room to avoid the red circle bombs and keep the gunfire aoe on one person.

Fighting the boss straight on form the corridor is a death sentence because the gunfire cone covers the entire hallway at 20-30m from the boss. guess where most people stop and hang out during a boss fight.

Cheers all and hope i helped.

Yeah this fight is pretty easy if the tank turns the boss around and tanks with his back to that panel. DPS should stand opposite the tank. DPS also need to move out of the red circles and depending on the tank, AoE the adds to keep them off the healer. He does have a knockback so making sure you are in front of that console is really important.

In terms of interupts: this boss (like almost all others) is immune to interupts. The only issue I can see is not having an AoE taunt for the adds, but I'd say thats more of an issue with the first droid than this guy.

What you (should) learn from this boss is that the tank needs to keep mobs facing away from the group and the DPS need to NOT stand next to the tank and keep out of the red circles. It's a pretty easy fight if you can do those things but as bad as EC if you can't.

I would raise this point for those having difficultly with the last boss. The sweeping gunfire aoe centers on whoever has aggro at the start of the cast and is a big cone. If the tank initiates and can maintain aggro it is possible to turn the boss so only hit the tank is within the cone. It much the same thing as turning the turrets of stormcaller and firebrand in EC.

What i tend to do at level for the fight is have the tank go to the right of the console while the other party members go left. This way you have party members near both add spawn points as well more room to avoid the red circle bombs and keep the gunfire aoe on one person.

Fighting the boss straight on form the corridor is a death sentence because the gunfire cone covers the entire hallway at 20-30m from the boss. guess where most people stop and hang out during a boss fight.

Cheers all and hope i helped.

Perfect summary. I have recently levelled 2 characters through this level range. On my Powertech Tank, I did exactly this, and typically standing at the console I can either use a DFA or other attacks to grab the aggro on the adds, and the sweeping gunfire is always aimed at me, the healer and DPS only have to worry about the stuff on the ground. Success rate has been 90% or better (although attempting to use Mako as healer really doesn't work, she stands in the red circles and takes a tonne of damage).

With my Sniper, however, tanks have tried to do all sorts of bizarre things, and usually ignore my advice about standing with their back to the console -- result, lots of wipes and ragequits from them.

Edited by Ancaglon

He is fairly easy if turned away from the group. Please don't change this fight - it's one of the only remotely challenging parts of 1-40 gameplay. As examples, Athiss and Cademimu final fights are fun, but so so easy unless you have absolutely no idea to stay away from the fireballs/rockets.

And I'm using challenging pretty liberally in this case.

This is called a Mechanics check. It is the first time players are introduced to "you're going to keep failing until you realize the boss has things you need to learn to control."

This fight is extremely easy and I explain it to every tank and dps when I come to it on my alt healer. Mind you I have NO birthright gear or hand me downs.

1) tank goes left group goes right. The boss almost always starts with a cone AOE.

2) tank against wall, never move.

3) dps and healer avoid AoE.

4) Dps kill adds.

5) Healer heals.

It's really simple actually, and even in groups I thought the tank was brain dead - they listen. In fact every time I explain the fight we 1 shot it and whenever I don't we fail... So now I always explain the fight :)

The only thing I would want remotely tuned is that one pull very early in the FP with two elites, three strongs and 2 normals, if you don't have CC (which most classes dont at this level) you wipe unless there's some strong off healing or the tank ridiculously over-levels it, I'd remove one elite and a strong personally on that pull.

Other then that the last boss is really more an idiot check than anything else, I just wish he would shut the **** up about how my weakness is in my blood, seriously I dont need to hear that 27 times in less than two minutes.

Is this the Flashpoint where you kill 3 champions then go onto the last boss who stands infront of a console?

If it is, then yes I agree, I haven't really done many flashpoints at the lower levels but I definitely remember this one being pretty tough (the final boss). Infact, I actually had to get a 50 gunslinger to help me last time.

The final boss is unforgiving when it comes to tactics execution. But if done right, is very easy. I've tanked this in group finder as a level 15 Shadow, with level appropriate groups. Simple tactic:

1. Tank runs through boss from pull and, thus, turns him around.

2. Tank has back to the console to avoid being pushed off. DPS stand behind the boss, i.e. facing console.

3. When boss casts sweeping gunfire, the conal AOE, the tank "strafes" to the side (the Q or E key by default), and then strafes back into position the moment it finishes.

4. When adds come DPS kill adds, the tank should ignore these (as the low level tank is unlikely to have an AOE taunt, possibly no taunt at all - aggro must be maintained on boss to hold boss in position).

5. DPS prio is stay out of AOE > kill adds > attack boss.

The final point is pretty much the standard basis for all end-game FPs and Operations (inc. tanks "facing" a boss away from a raid). At which point even more complexities get thrown in. Get used to this premise now. Early level FPs are "trainers." It really doesn't need nerfing.

Edited by Solaufein

The complainers in this thread are a huge part of what is wrong with this game. It's easy enough and you want it easier? I mean, heavens forbid you actually DIE in a game or find yourself challenged. I guess you should just walk into the instance and be presented with a chest just for showing up, no work required. :rolleyes:

If you are having problems with Hammer Station, I would really recommend your strategies, play style and how you are gearing and filling out your skill tree. Because there is ABSOLUTELY no reason to tune down this entry level FP.

This is a problem with modern MMO players it seems. If something is a little too difficult, rather then trying to rise to the occasion, and learning the needed strategies, they try to ask that the flashpoint is made so easy it is not even fun to play for others.

The poster a couple posts down offers some really good strategy and details, I would recommend looking it over.

I'm a Op healer and I lvl with a sniper friend.

I have Biochem so I provide him with blue stims/medpacks and adrenals when I have spare materials.

We have done Hammer station around 5-6 times with 2 random people.

I find it hard to heal when the tanks position the AoE thru the whole group, but I can heal it, the AoE's can be ignored for a sec to finish a cast, if your healer can heal it (I stayed to finish a heal), the small adds should be a nobrainer, but in the last group we got neither the other dps or the tank took out the adds so I ended up dying due to ALOT of mobs on me and no aggro-reset (don't get combat stealth at this lvl).

Disclaimer: This is meant to be "the instance is Do-able, and I'm glad you have to grasp the mechanics or at least to a certain degree know your class, you start to get the majority of your skills now, and should be able to know your class, just a little bit, at least".

I got no legacy-gear or purples on this alt, all my gear is from the normal lvling and I did these runs of Hammer station between 17-20 with my sniper just 1 lvl behind me.

I think it's fine, but understand if people have problems.

I'm also not a person who has cleared al content.

I'm one of 3 rutined tanks in our guild (1 of each class) 1 new jugg and 1 jugg alt. We have done Zorn and Toth HM 3 weeks in a row, but care mostly about being social as our guild is a social casual guild. So no, I don't have 16 chars in 50 and everyone is in full 61 with Kehess HM on farm.

Everyone can do this, if they know the encounter

A player's very first fight in ToR that requires some thought and team coordination and positioning? Nerf it, quick!

P.S. Was being sarcastic. Wipe a few times, get a grip on the dynamics, kill it. This is the way MMOs should work. Faceroll tank and spank with occasional "don't stand in stuff\get out from incoming obvious damage effect" which appears to be the current standard is a disgrace.

Edited by Helig

Hammer Station is actually a good flashpoint that teaches people basic flashpoint strategies. It is hard for on-levels for a reason (it's the Wake Up Call Boss for SWTOR when it comes to flashpoints). It's doable with on-level groups, even ones not experienced with MMO's, since it's purpose is to teach.

1) You need a four man group. This isn't your 2 or even solo-able Black Talon instance for the standard on-level. Future flashpoints will get harder, with Colicoid War Games and Red Reaper being unwinnable without 4 sentient players.

2) People need a role. You'll want one healer and one tank. Off-tanks and off-healers are fine here since there are no enrage timers.

3) The tank attacks first. This becomes evident when people realize that everything in the group will target the first person that attacks until threat (either through damage or healing) forces them to switch targets.

4) CC is king. If you don't learn that fights while using stuns and CC abilities are easier than when not using them, then you'll want to learn that before Athiss. The second boss fight can be made significantly easier with the use of CC.

5) Be aware. Things happen in the fight that cannot be anticipated unless you've done it before. From special boss attacks to adds suddenly spawning, failure to pay attention and figure out how to counter these will lead to future failures in tougher content.

6) DPS need to attack adds. This becomes very important in the final boss fight. For one, the tank needs to keep the AOE cone of the boss from hitting other people (another part of being aware). Also, if the DPS ignore those adds, they will ravage the healer and kill the healer in seconds.

As for a final boss guide, it's as everyone says.

- Avoid the mines

- Have the tank turn the boss away from everyone

- Have the healer be near the entrance, as far away from where the adds spawn as possible

- DPS will shoot the boss, yet attack the adds as soon as they appear. The boss has no enrage timer, so it's not like they *have* to keep shooting.

The end. Enjoy your loot.

It's good that you want to learn how to play those characters OP, but you need a challenge to achieve that.

Future flashpoints have a lot more things that can go wrong than Hammer Station, therefore getting the tactics nailed down there will help you much more than if BioWare would just make it easier.

It is very much possible to run HS at lvl 15-16, below the actual recommended level.

If you're having that much trouble, just wait 1-2 levels and you can roll through it with ease, but then you won't have that added experience of course.

Edited by Fdzzaigl