What's wrong with the prequels?

xeeki

So you're saying people who liked the prequels have no right to have enjoyed them and are wrong for doing so?

I didn't like them, personally. However it's not my place to tell them they're wrong. It's not your place either.

I'm not saying they can't enjoy them. I'm just saying they're wrong for doing it.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The prequels aren't entertaining.

They are defetnly entertaining. Watch them with Rifftrax and you will be laughing your butt off.

http://www.rifftrax.com/rifftrax/star-wars-episode-iii-revenge-sith

However they are in no way good.

As for the 100 page essay the guy wrote about the REVIEWS of the film. That just shows everything that is wrong with Star Wars Fandom. I love Star Wars however people who will go as far as to write a 100 page essay defending the movies is just wrong.

I have tried reading some of it and it's just awfull. The guy tries to accuse the guy of lying when at most he does is exagerate. He never really refutes any of his points just goes with "oh thats explained in this book"

I'm sure someone put these links in the thread before (I'm not going to go through all that nonsense), but...

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-1-the-phantom-menace/

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-ii-attack-of-the-clones/

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-iii-revenge-of-the-sith/

These are pretty much why.

To me, the big problems were miticlorians (or midichlorians, or however the hell it was spelled), the nonsensical plot, the non-threatening enemies (the droid army was goofy and pointless, especially when compared to Stormtroopers), and the general lack of any connection to the characters or to the larger story. Not once did I ever feel like "man, I was the Republic to win!"

The CIS forces didn't seem all that bad to be honest -- you never see them burn a house to the ground and kill the owners in cold blood (RIP Beru and Owen), you never see them blow up a planet, and you never see one of the droids strangle a Gungan. The only time you ever see the droid army or the separatists do something bad is executing an enemy combatant, and most of the time it's people we either don't care about (random Jedi #2134 who died on Geonosis) or people we REALLY don't care about (random Clone Trooper #AUY12378-B).

Also, Clones VS Robots? Seriously that's the worst possible fight because it feels like watching a match of Starcraft (without the strategy) -- these troops aren't people, they're resources. When you see the Rebel forces gunned down in Empire, you feel kinda bad for them. And that's the whole thing... in the original trilogy, occasionally I would feel something.

That's not to say that those who like the film are wrong or stupid or anything. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and can like or dislike whatever they want. However, there are, objectively speaking, problems with the movie, and to the majority of people the movies lack any kind of emotional connection.

TL;DR:

I wanted to slap Palpatine in the original trilogy because he was a bastard, I wanted to give Luke a pat on the back when he returned to his burned farm, and I fistpumped when Vader threw Palpatine down the shaft.

I wanted to slap everyone in the prequels for being stupid, I wanted to smack Anakin upside the head, and I facepalmed when Vader yelled "NOOOOOOO!".

I loved them first time watching until i grew a bit older and was introduced to the countless reviews pointing out flaws and now theyre just films ill watch from time to time, i was a kid when the TPM was out (About 10 or 11) so yeah, i was probably his target audience to enjoy it.

I had no massive problem with TPM for some reason other than the standard Jar-Jar, number two wasnt too bad minus i hate the attempt at a love story, and then number three, something about it put me off massively but even as a kid i had some "Eh really?" moments, my mum also commented on how the first half of the film was like watching some cartoon movie trying too hard, and the "No!" just killed it.

I find if you're a standard film viewer or fan you'll enjoy them, if you look too much into it or have an extensive knowledge of the EU and a critic, you'll probably disect them until you have nothing left to enjoy.

Edited by Dave_Bodom

• 1 month later...
...Why is Padme from Naboo? Why not make her from Alderan and that way we can actually see Alderan before it is destroyed? Then we have some emotional connection to the planet.

Alderaan IS seen (however briefly) before it's destroyed; at the end of Episode III.:rolleyes:

1) Star Wars world is dirty and gritty in the originals. In the prequels it's all sterile CG environments.

2) No Han Solo type character.

3) No memorable lietmotif. In the originals, you could tell who was on screen and what was happening just by the soundtrack. You could tell when the camera was pointed at Luke when he was swinging his lightsaber, or the exact moment that Vader dies, just by listening to the music.