Flashpoint Loot Priorities.

Vithalor

I had a rather negative experience last night in a random LFG party.

My friend and I queued together, she was on her Jedi Sage and I was on my Jedi Sentinel, the run itself went very smoothly, right up until the final boss.

When it was downed, it dropped the Token piece for a set of the JEDI KNIGHT/SITH WARRIOR specific Tier gear. Naturally, as this was an upgrade for my character, I needed it... as did the tank, who was a Jedi SHADOW, a class which cannot even use/trade, or in any other way benefit from said token piece... and, of course, he won the roll.

When my healer friend questioned him, asking why he would need on a piece of gear he cannot use when it was clearly an upgrade for someone else in the party, HIS friend and guildmate replied that, "The tank was upset because no gear had dropped for him during the run, so he needed that in order to get SOMETHING."

First and foremost, I think we can all agree that this was beyond words in terms of rudeness and just flat out unnecessary behaviour.

Secondly, I GENUINELY hope that in the future, Bioware adds a system that makes such pieces that are CLASS specific able to ONLY be needed upon by members OF said CLASS. Granted, this won't solve completely the issue of 'ninja looting', but at least such a system would aid in cutting down on said behaviour.

That being said, I certainly hope this person develops a better attitude toward group looting in the future. I've gone many times where I've run multiple, (four to nine), random Flashpoints without even once seeing a piece of gear that might benefit my character. It. Happens. Sometimes your luck just isn't there. When that happens, deal with it, but don't jack other people out of gear because you're mad at the random loot generator.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is harsh. I would just add that person to my ignore list and not group with them to be honest. Either that or talk to them until they actually respond to me to ensure they don't do it again. I have yet to see this happen. The majority of the time I am in a FP, everyone has just Greeded on things except for the token pieces... which I have had good experiences with thus far. (knock on wood).

That is harsh. I would just add that person to my ignore list and not group with them to be honest. Either that or talk to them until they actually respond to me to ensure they don't do it again. I have yet to see this happen. The majority of the time I am in a FP, everyone has just Greeded on things except for the token pieces... which I have had good experiences with thus far. (knock on wood).

Believe me, he's definitely on my ignore list. So far this would be about the ... third time I've seen something like this happen in a Flashpoint. The other times were in lower level points, but the principle remains the same. If you don't NEED it, don't need it.

Sadly the freedom of the system relies on other people to have both decency and common sense, two traits often lacking in random groups.

that sucks. shadows dont even have a strength companion.

A columi armor is worth 10K credits. It's not a complete loss for a greedy person.

That's call a ninja. They are in every MMOs in the world. Internet is a wonderful tool, especially to show the stupidity and egoism of the average human being.

Just to pipe in, I seem to remember them saying quite some time ago that they were going to be adding some sort of "companion" option to the need/greed/pass stuff, and that once they did, they would "fix" need so it only lets you need on stuff YOU can actually use.

That being said, I think this may have actually been said before 1.2 dropped, so it's quite possible this fell off the table at some point.

Just to pipe in, I seem to remember them saying quite some time ago that they were going to be adding some sort of "companion" option to the need/greed/pass stuff, and that once they did, they would "fix" need so it only lets you need on stuff YOU can actually use.

That being said, I think this may have actually been said before 1.2 dropped, so it's quite possible this fell off the table at some point.

I'm honestly FINE with letting someone need a piece of gear for a companion if no PLAYER needs it. I think the priority should stay Player > Companion though. Most people need that gear for PVE content where your companion is NOT present.

The fortunate thing for you is, you won't have to group with a 10 year old tank in the future. Seriously, "I didn't get any loot so I'm going to just need on something?" Who needs to play with a player like that?

Take a screen shot and report him as a ninja on your server forums.

That's a tool. Put it in a box and forget about it.

I've had a few people ninja, some on accident, some on purpose.... mostly the accidents apologize, and the one that didn't he got removed from like 3 guilds.

People will get a reputation on servers, that's why no cross realm is a good thing. They have to pay for what they do as they can be shunned by the entire server.

So, make sure other's know what they did. Just don't spam general about it.

I like this option because in my opinion, nothing should compare equally to outfitting your current character and someone else's companion from a loot roll perspective. Sure, I think rolling for a companion should come above Greed but below Need. Keep Need to only be an option for characters in the group that can actually use it effectively and then go to C-Need, Greed, etc.

I like this option because in my opinion, nothing should compare equally to outfitting your current character and someone else's companion from a loot roll perspective. Sure, I think rolling for a companion should come above Greed but below Need. Keep Need to only be an option for characters in the group that can actually use it effectively and then go to C-Need, Greed, etc.

I can't believe no MMO ever thought of this sort of thing before...

Take a screen shot and report him as a ninja on your server forums.

That's a tool. Put it in a box and forget about it.

I've had a few people ninja, some on accident, some on purpose.... mostly the accidents apologize, and the one that didn't he got removed from like 3 guilds.

People will get a reputation on servers, that's why no cross realm is a good thing. They have to pay for what they do as they can be shunned by the entire server.

So, make sure other's know what they did. Just don't spam general about it.

Oh, I'd never spam general about it. He may have been a tool but I'm not THAT mad over it.

I mostly made this thread so that hopefully, (although I'm HOPING they already have this under consideration), Bioware will see that there's a real issue here and do something to fix it.

I have never liked the need before greed rule, it just brings out the elitist weenies that come up with all sorts of BS rules to prioritise gear.. I for one would love to see the whole aspect of the game removed and have a system in place where loot is given in the mail and no information is posted on who won the loot.

After all, the word "need" has a wide range of meanings, A player’s need to vender, a players need to strip the mod, a player’s need to give to a companion, these are all valid reasons to click need.. Thats a big word.."Need"..

I’m one of those players that rarely clicks "need" or even "greed" on any run, I’m there for XP and to have fun. Naturally if something pops thats a big upgrade, then I’m going to click need, however If I don’t win the roll, the last place Im going to go is to the forums and cry like a baby over some false assumption that I have more right to any specific gear.

Every player, (As far as I’m concerned) has an equal right to whatever drops, the entire team worked for it, so it’s only fair that the entire team get to click “need”

I have never liked the need before greed rule, it just brings out the elitist weenies that come up with all sorts of BS rules to prioritise gear.. I for one would love to see the whole aspect of the game removed and have a system in place where loot is given in the mail and no information is posted on who won the loot.

After all, the word "need" has a wide range of meanings, A player’s need to vender, a players need to strip the mod, a player’s need to give to a companion, these are all valid reasons to click need.. Thats a big word.."Need"..

I’m one of those players that rarely clicks "need" or even "greed" on any run, I’m there for XP and to have fun. Naturally if something pops thats a big upgrade, then I’m going to click need, however If I don’t win the roll, the last place Im going to go is to the forums and cry like a baby over some false assumption that I have more right to any specific gear.

Every player, (As far as I’m concerned) has an equal right to whatever drops, the entire team worked for it, so it’s only fair that the entire team get to click “need”

I think 'need' is pretty basic, if one looks at it logically.

Will X item directly improve my stats? IE. Will my strength, (as say a Jedi Knight), go from 10 to 20 because of this piece of gear? If the answer is yes, I would say you need it.

If you need credits, go run a daily, or do a quest, don't screw a fellow player out of a stat improving item because you're too lazy to go make money elsewhere.

This is just my opinion, of course.

I think 'need' is pretty basic, if one looks at it logically.

Will X item directly improve my stats? IE. Will my strength, (as say a Jedi Knight), go from 10 to 20 because of this piece of gear? If the answer is yes, I would say you need it.

If you need credits, go run a daily, or do a quest, don't screw a fellow player out of a stat improving item because you're too lazy to go make money elsewhere.

This is just my opinion, of course.

Again, define what "NEED" means to you, then define what "NEED" means to another player?

- I NEED Credits (Valid)

- I NEED gear for my Companion (Valid)

- I NEED the gears mods (Valid)

- I NEED it for <insert reason here>

Who are you to ASSUME what "NEED" means to another player?

See what Im getting at? I feel your pain, you lost a roll, so do what the rest of us do, RUN IT AGAIN. Its really that simple.

And please, enough with the whole "LAZY" argument, its not a valid response to your issue at hand.

:rolleyes:

Again, define what "NEED" means to you, then define what "NEED" means to another player?

- I NEED Credits (Valid)

See what Im getting at? I feel your pain, you lost a roll, so do what the rest of us do, RUN IT AGAIN. Its really that simple.

And please, enough with the whole "LAZY" argument, its not a valid response to your issue at hand.

First off, I'm didn't make this thread to complain or cry about my loss of gear. I'm so over it it's not even funny. But, it's obviously an issue that'll continue to happen, to most likely everyone in time, the longer it's allowed to continue.

Defining 'need' imHo, comes down to common sense and decency.

When I run a flashpoint, it's for gear to improve my character.

When I need credits, I do quests, or other activities that allow me to gain credits without robbing other players of potential rewards in the process. Why? Decency.

When I need gear for my companion, I buy it off the GTN, I get it from quests, or IF NO PLAYER NEEDS it for their character, I MIGHT need a piece of gear in a flashpoint.

When I need mods... I honestly think a piece of gear in a flashpoint is probably the last place I'd look. The chance that the exact mod I need 'might' drop from a random piece of gear, is likely slim to none, and again.. I can probably get that same mod or better of the GTN or from a crafter friend, so again... why would I rob a fellow player of something that more directly benefits them.

I get it, not everyone considers the same things that I do, but I personally feel, as I'm sure most of us do, that NEEDING a piece of gear should be mostly reserved for players looking to directly influence the stats on THEIR character. ESPECIALLY when there are other, unobtrusive ways to get EVERYTHING else they need.

Edited by Vithalor

- I NEED Credits (Valid)

Surely that anyone can define anything to be whatever they want to justify whatever they want IS the issue?

However just because people can and do that, doesn't mean that is either the right way or the best way for everything to be handled, in RL or in an MMORPG. :confused:

It happens.

I started a Jedi Knight Guardian recently, and just got to Esseles. Ran it with 2 random Sages. I was lucky, got a set of boots and gloves, as well as a shield. One of the Sages accidentally took a piece, but gave it too me after realizing it was an accident. Then, a hilt dropped- named GUARDIAN hilt. The of the sages needs it, so I mention it to them, and they say "I like lightsabers". :rolleyes:

They traded it with me, but still, people do not always know or want to do the "proper" thing. No need to rage about it, just do as others suggested, put them on ignore and or tell others not to group with them because of their actions.

First off, I'm didn't make this thread to complain or cry about my loss of gear. I'm so over it it's not even funny. But, it's obviously an issue that'll continue to happen, to most likely everyone in time, the longer it's allowed to continue.

This is not an issue to me, its an issue with you and I'm sure its an issue to those who feel they have been "ninja'd" out of gear. The very vocal minority.

Defining 'need' imHo, comes down to common sense and decency.

When I run a flashpoint, it's for gear to improve my character.

When I need credits, I do quests, or other activities that allow me to gain credits without robbing other players of potential rewards in the process. Why? Decency.

When I need gear for my companion, I buy it off the GTN, I get it from quests, or IF NO PLAYER NEEDS it for their character, I MIGHT need a piece of gear in a flashpoint.

When I need mods... I honestly think a piece of gear in a flashpoint is probably the last place I'd look. The chance that the exact mod I need 'might' drop from a random piece of gear, is likely slim to none, and again.. I can probably get that same mod or better of the GTN or from a crafter friend, so again... why would I rob a fellow player of something that more directly benefits them.

Thats how you play, and your entailed to play that way, but to expect other players to play this way is nieve, no? Comparing the loss of gear to thievery is a little extreme, don't you think?

I get it, not everyone considers the same things that I do, but I personally feel, as I'm sure most of us do, that NEEDING a piece of gear should be mostly reserved for players looking to directly influence the stats on THEIR character. ESPECIALLY when there are other, unobtrusive ways to get EVERYTHING else they need.

Your assuming too much, One thing that MMO's have taught me over the years is that the minority is the most vocal group. Because of this, individuals such as your self ASSUME that its the way it is. When in reality, its not.

I agree the system needs to be fixed. But not for the reasons you give. It should be fixed to end these ridiculous posts about loosing gear one assumes they deserve over another player.

If it's naive to hope that people would be a bit more considerate, color me guilty.

You're taking WAY too harshly everything that I'm saying.

I'm not in any way stating that it's 'my way or the high way', I'm simply expressing that more consideration would be nice.

I'm not naive, I'm hopeful. What a horrible thing to be. :p

- I NEED Credits (Valid)

You sound like a ninja.

I'm honestly FINE with letting someone need a piece of gear for a companion if no PLAYER needs it. I think the priority should stay Player > Companion though. Most people need that gear for PVE content where your companion is NOT present.

well, the whole point of the need/greed/pass system is you don't have to have discussions about who can roll on stuff, who needs it, who just wants the money, etc. having to ask if people want it for themselves vs. companions before clicking the "need" button arguably defeats the whole point of having need/greed options in the first place.

To be fair though, I tend to hate the whole concept of rolling on loot, esp. in content designed for multiple characters, Everybody should just get their OWN loot, period. Ideally targetted towards their character (and in this game, possibly companions)

well, the whole point of the need/greed/pass system is you don't have to have discussions about who can roll on stuff, who needs it, who just wants the money, etc. having to ask if people want it for themselves vs. companions before clicking the "need" button arguably defeats the whole point of having need/greed options in the first place.

To be fair though, I tend to hate the whole concept of rolling on loot, esp. in content designed for multiple characters, Everybody should just get their OWN loot, period. Ideally targetted towards their character (and in this game, possibly companions)

This wasn't in World of Warcraft so why would it be in SWTOR? This is an exact copy with light sabers after all. How about some original ideas and content Bioware...