Parser for tanks?

Panzerfire

Hi all,

I've started tanking again after a break of around 3-4 months and it's fun to do the new instance with 'old' gear and still do fine but I have a question about parsers.

Is there a parser out there that will display the entire fight, attack by attack, heal by heal?

My raid is using MOX for dps as it lets you group up parsers and I'm using Fryingtime for the overall data of the fight it gives but I don't have anything telling me what happened in a step by step fashion, showing all abilities which influence you.

Also, the general consensus on the new relics seems to be proc absorb + proc heal, then proc heal + def on use/WH def once you get 63 mods and absorbtion gains curve off. Is that right? Or is it still personal preference.

I'm an assassin tank with optimized 61 gear.

And last question, when using a proc absorbtion relic, is it ok to add [(6/20 or 6/21)*absorb bonus value] to your total absorbtion when calculating stat weight or am I offending the gods of math? (6/21 being more realistic value of the proc rate).

Thank you for your time if you answer!

Edited by Panzerfire

Not sure if it shows anything more useful than Fryingtime for tanks but I greatly prefer to use Torparse and you can look through an edited log of the fight to see in more detail what exactly happens when.

They all work on the same data anyway, some just have more useful display options.

Torparse is definitely the way to go for tank parsing. The things I generally look at are as follows:

• APM – A low APM can often mean I was playing lazily (i.e. missing rotational cues, failing to pop cooldowns, etc). When I'm doing well on a fight, my APM is usually in the mid-30s as a shadow tank.
  • DtPS – Did I stand in anything I could have avoided? Which boss abilities hit me the hardest, and are they cooldown amenable? Compared to previous runs of this boss, has my DtPS reduced proportional to the new gear I have acquired?
  • HPS – Did I sustain my maximum potential HPS? What kind of overheal did I see on my self-heal? (I weigh this against whether or not the healers seemed to be having trouble to determine whether or not I should advise them to adjust their healing priorities)
  • DPS – How flat is my DPS profile during burn phases? (this is an indication of how well I managed my energy) What kind of DPS was I sustaining? How well did I do on proc management? (you can see this by looking at average damage and crit % for different abilities)
  • Healing Received – Weighed against DtPS and self-heal. Generally less useful, but can sometimes provide insights that I can pass along to my healers.
  • Threat – Pure epeen. Doesn't actually tell me anything. Well, it's occasionally useful in progression content to identify agro drops, but that's about it.

Note that torparse is really the only parser which provides all of the above information in a format that is useful, which is why I really couldn't switch to MoX or AMR.

Regarding relics, best in slot sub-Campaign is going to be the DG proc heal and the DG proc absorb relics. Once you're mostly-Campaign (and augmented), the DR on absorb catches up with you and BiS becomes DG proc heal + WH defense. The DG activated defense relic is a good situational relic, but has inferior overall stats to the PvP relics.

Kinda a separate question, but is the on-use shield/absorb never considered? It's more stat points, and spread across two DR curves. I always see people defaulting to the defense relic when discussing the on-use ones. Curious why that is.

Kinda a separate question, but is the on-use shield/absorb never considered? It's more stat points, and spread across two DR curves. I always see people defaulting to the defense relic when discussing the on-use ones. Curious why that is.

The main reason is because you get so much friggin' Shield rating as any kind of tank because the only stat it competes with is Accuracy Rating (which you can pretty much drop every time you see it because virtually no tank has any use for it). As such, the Shield rating portion of the use relic is hit monumentally hard by the DR curve (thanks to it being guaranteed to have the highest rating) and the Absorb portion suffers from the fact that, with 26/27 gear, Absorb rating has the worst DR (Defense has the smoothest curve and Absorb has the most extreme, going from very little DR to a lot of DR very quickly), not to mention that it's pretty standard to use the absorb proc relic, which pushes you pretty far into the realm of DR when both it and the use relic are active. In short, it's because Shield/Absorb are hit harder than Defense by the DR curve.

Of course, a lot of tanks have begun to abandon the use relics because the developers saw fit (for some unknown reason) to reduce the durations of the use effects from 30 seconds to 20 seconds (but only for the tank relics, the DPS/healer relics are all still 30 seconds...). It's a sad but true fact that you actually get better average rating contributions out of the Rakata use relics for tanks than you do out of the DG or campaign use relics (with the exception of the Campaign Shield/Absorb relic which has a 30 sec duration whereas the Defense relic has a 20 sec relic, which has perplexed me even more than the fact that the developers reduced the duration of both of the DG tank relics).