Is it worth coming back?

Janglor

I hit level 50 in late Jan/early February after launch, quit a month later due to the boring repetition of end game. Is there anything worth making a comeback for? And am I still on my dead old server? How is world pvp? Pvp in general?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Janglor Level 50 Jedi Sentinel

Well considering I havent played consistently for several years I dont expect to win right off the bat, PvP takes practice. I saw your thread throwing a fit about getting owned, dont bring your QQ into my genuine inquiry about the state of the game.

Well considering I havent played consistently for several years I dont expect to win right off the bat, PvP takes practice. I saw your thread throwing a fit about getting owned, dont bring your QQ into my genuine inquiry about the state of the game.

well you already sudded in order to post, so you tell us.

From the time that you have been gone, there has been a lot added to the game including new warzones. Open world Ilum pvp is a thing of the past. Gear sets have become obsolete and replaced with new ones. Levels of gear has also been increased.

PvP update is a few months off but, they seem to be sticking to their planned 6 week schedule on updates as they recently proposed.

To someone coming back from a very long hiatus, there is a lot new, plenty of new to do and see and a population on the servers. Your old server may not be there any longer however, your characters should have been transferred to a new home.

I wouldn't listen to the PVP haters here, I've been enjoying them just fine. I would suggest you start other characters. If you get bored with the end game for your sentinel start a new character (enjoy the new story) and see how that one plays in PVP. If you're like me, you'll discover a class and tree you never thought you would enjoy, Like the Tactics Vanguard for me. (It also helps to switch roles) I've seen people alt from a DPS, to another DPS... say they are bored...and roll another DPS.

UNLESS...you like purchasing everything through the Cartel Market! Then it totally is!

If you have the CCs to spare, you can go for the Cartel Market. If you are wise with your credits you can also buy most of everything off the gtn like I do.

not really worth it, nothing else to play atm =(

Nothing else to play? Seriously? Do you mean in terms of content? If so;

This person, reportedly, has not been here since JANUARY/FEBRUARY 2011. Do you know how much content that is?

There's PLENTY to do if you're just coming back and you're into PVE, at least.

New ops, flashpoints, HK-51, Makeb + Raised level cap, new daily areas (Although they still get tedious as hell) and a lot of other stuff i'm too lazy to name. If you're someone who's coming back from way back in 2011? It's definitely worth trying all the new stuff out and see if you like it.

Hence why it's recommended to at least go preferred for a little while, then sub.

Edited by GhostDrone

Mmm...

The game is relatively speaking enjoyable, but personally I do not believe its worth the subscription price. Too many of the new features requires real money for the simulated glitter you get at the company store which is a definite turn-off to be a subscriber.

For the subscription price they ask, they are one of the highest priced MMORPGs and the game depth is rather shallow when compared against more mature games who charges less, and don't charge money for every feature that comes standard in so many other MMORPGs.

A pro for SWTOR is that it is a very fast action paced game, with reasonably good story lines, but very single threaded when compared to other MMORPGs who offers you multiple leveling path choices versus the single one for your class in SWTOR.

SWTOR when it gets to character looks is truly inferior to so many other MMORPGs, they did try the modifyable armor as a second hand patch to the rela problem, which frankly does not truly work. If you want to get your gear colored the system is at best ackward and company store driven.

But if you have been away for awhile, play for free and experience the new free content, it is after all reasonably enterteining, of course new game features they are all pay to use, and frankly not worth the money.

Sue

It's worth checking out for a month or two.

You should definitely find enough to do to last at least that long. I came back after a year hiatus, and have been playing fairly constantly for 2 months. I have 3 55's and 2 50's, and have kept myself busy. Buying the new xpac definitely makes a difference. To save from getting overly bored, i switch between levelling/endgame from rep to imp and back. Honestly though, I could have stopped playing a few weeks ago when I finally "experienced" everything the game has to offer content-wise. Sure I can go back and do the hm/nim version of ops which is a bit more exciting, but essentially it's the same content.

Also, it may help you to know that I have been playing for a solid 2 months since coming back and have not done any pvp content, as I don't do pvp. So I would imagine, depending on the amount of time and frequency of playing, you can keep yourself pretty busy through at least the next 2 major updates (considering 2.2 is coming next week).

Another option, if repetition isn't for you, is you could sub for a month and then go play something else. No reason to stop playing completely. And, while the sub may be relatively expensive compared to other games, F2P is way to aggravating to consider, imo. The limitations they place on f2p are simply incredulous -- well, not from the business perspective as they must be raking in a remarkable amount of money from the CM from all the unlocks people must be buying...

EDIT: one last point: in the past month I have made in-game credits hand over fist. Something like 20 million in about 3 weeks without really trying, and from what i hear I'm pretty credit-poor compared to a lot of other players. So you don't really need to worry about cc's and RL money, if that's a concern. I don't have much interest in the things offered on the CM, except maybe the xp boosts while levelling, but i'm sure you could buy pretty much everything worth having on the gtn without ever spending a single dollar (beyond the sub fee, of course).

Edited by DimmuJanKaarl

Depends why you left.

If PvP was fun for you back then chances are good it'll still be fun now meaning a comeback stint being worth it. If you quit cos you absolutely can't stand how pvp is conceptually set up in this game and/or world pvp then no, not worth it.

Mmm...

The game is relatively speaking enjoyable, but personally I do not believe its worth the subscription price. Too many of the new features requires real money for the simulated glitter you get at the company store which is a definite turn-off to be a subscriber.

For the subscription price they ask, they are one of the highest priced MMORPGs and the game depth is rather shallow when compared against more mature games who charges less, and don't charge money for every feature that comes standard in so many other MMORPGs.

This is complete fail.

Highest priced? By what? 1 dollar per month?

The stuff that requires real money is TOTALLY OPTIONAL.

As a subscriber you get everything, except fluff.

Fluff is not required to play this game.

Patron 1: "Hey!! How's that pasta?"

Patron 2: "Best pasta here in a long time, you gotta try it!"

Patron 3: "Worst pasta evar! It will make you puke!!"

Patron 4: "Wut? Sorry.. I was busy eating this fine pasta"

Patron 5: "Dude! Waaaaaay better then your Mom's Pasta! It's got bacon in it!"

See what I did there? I demonstrated, by analogy, how there is only one way to know the answer OP.... IS to try it and decide for yourself. ;) Why? Because an internet gaming forum is a lousy place to get answers that are relevant to your personal tastes.

Edited by Andryah

I'll try to be completely honest with you OP.

If you only do PvP, then DO NOT PLAY this game. Fanboys won't like what I said, but it is true. The PvP is still the same crap thing - with more bugs and a couple more WZs.

But, if you do PvE then yes, there is a lot of new and exciting content you'll problably like.

Now, even if you only PvP you might enjoy for a couple months untill you realize the real state of the game. I guess the best way is to test by yourself.

Edited by Capote

This is complete fail.

Highest priced? By what? 1 dollar per month?

The stuff that requires real money is TOTALLY OPTIONAL.

As a subscriber you get everything, except fluff.

Fluff is not required to play this game.

Actually the difference per cost a month is closer to $5/month and it varies from game company to game company.

You are right, the stuff that takes real money is optional and fluff; which most other companies provide most of that fluff at no cost at all to both subscribers and FTP (Subscribers get more free fluff to play with, ha ha ha)

And I agree with you fluff is not required to play the game, I don't believe I ever said that. it was.

The cost part, I paid nearly $15/month for a three month subscription of SWTOR while LOTRO is almost $10/month for a three month subscription if you need an example. And LOTRO for that $10/month has a lot more material to experience, and more built-in fluff than SWTOR at no additional cost. Think of the economic concept of "value" and you may see where I am coming from, that is the amount of services provided by LOTRO is greater than SWTOR and to make matters worse its also cheaper.

Sue

I really have no idea how people came to that conclusion.

The whole thing happened with a guy on my team. I'm baffled at the IQ's in the place.