How I think swoop racing could work...PVE and PVP

LordArtemis

Now, this idea deals specifically with a suggestion that swoop racing, if ever added, should be on rails to a certain extent.

Here are my thoughts on it.

1) Racing - PVE style

This one would have obstacles to maneuver around/jump over and boosts you could hit to push your speed. Different hazards would present themselves during the race to try and dismount you from your speeder or slow you down.

Leader boards would be up for best time, most boosts, etc...plus you would have participation rewards. Tracks should be hot wheels style...loops, steep curves, tunnels, etc.

This would be a single player "best time" type of feature.

2) Racing - PVP style

This track would be similar to the crazy motorcycle minigame from FFVII. You would still be on rails, but you would jockey for pole position while using basic attacks (ranged and melee) to dismount or slow opponents. Think an advanced version of mariokart. Attacks and obstacles can slow you down or dismount you.

This would be treated like PVP, so you would have PVP rankings and rewards similar to those for regular PVP and huttball.

I have been trying to come up with an "off the rails" idea, but I was worried that the engine might have too many problems with it.

Anyone else have any ideas in this respect?

Thanks for reading.

Edited by LordArtemis

I think a racing minigame would be cool. Be it swoop or pods. I think it would be cool if your racer was upgradeable too. Like buying different parts for it. Much like you do companions and your ship. Hell even paint work :) Oh yeah customization. I would be in for this.

• 2 months later...
I think a racing minigame would be cool. Be it swoop or pods. I think it would be cool if your racer was upgradeable too. Like buying different parts for it. Much like you do companions and your ship. Hell even paint work :) Oh yeah customization. I would be in for this.

I would think it would be more possible now with the upcoming release of GS, since that could provide the framework needed.

Sounds good, I miss swoop racing from Kotor, add some swoop mods to fine tune the racer, choose whether to go a bit faster or a bit more maneouverable. I would support this.

Considering the upgrade system in GS, as well as the limited ability bar and the like, I think they could use the GS interface and mechanics as a frame for this.

I believe that Bioware already has the perfect platform to develop swoop racing: The space tunnel shooter. Think about it:

- It's like a linear race track

- It feels pretty smooth (for a rail shooter)

- It has many different levels

- It features upgrades

It seems quite efficient and possible to me to create the minigame based on the tunnel shooters current mechanics. sure you wouldn't be blasting things and abilities/upgrades would be based on things like top speed, "nitro" boost, acceleration etc, and I don't think it would be much of a stretch to add a PvP element to it.

I believe that Bioware already has the perfect platform to develop swoop racing: The space tunnel shooter. Think about it:

- It's like a linear race track

- It feels pretty smooth (for a rail shooter)

- It has many different levels

- It features upgrades

It seems quite efficient and possible to me to create the minigame based on the tunnel shooters current mechanics. sure you wouldn't be blasting things and abilities/upgrades would be based on things like top speed, "nitro" boost, acceleration etc, and I don't think it would be much of a stretch to add a PvP element to it.

It's a good point. Using in game assets can reduce cost and development time substantially.

by virtue of the nature of Swoop Racing taking place on Tracks it is technically on rails... now when i think of competitive Swoop Racing FFVII, as awesome a game as it is, is not what comes to mind, to me what comes to mind is something more like Wipeout... with single player races being more like the original Swoop Races from KotOR...

Sounds good, I miss swoop racing from Kotor, add some swoop mods to fine tune the racer, choose whether to go a bit faster or a bit more maneouverable. I would support this.

Yeah, maybe you would have stats on each part that would be Handling, Speed, and Efficiency.

Handling would affect the turning and how it interacts with terrain.

Speed would increase speed.

Efficiency would affect how quickly your bike starts up, how long it's boost goes for, etc.

However, dfferent parts would increase one stat and decrease another(EX: Plasma Engine would be +4 speed, -6 efficiency) and would force players to think about what they specialize in.

Yeah, maybe you would have stats on each part that would be Handling, Speed, and Efficiency.

Handling would affect the turning and how it interacts with terrain.

Speed would increase speed.

Efficiency would affect how quickly your bike starts up, how long it's boost goes for, etc.

However, dfferent parts would increase one stat and decrease another(EX: Plasma Engine would be +4 speed, -6 efficiency) and would force players to think about what they specialize in.

Its an interesting idea...a way to allow customization where one could capitalize on their strengths. This would work especially well if certain tracks were helped by certain custom settings.

Online PvP racing never works.....and PvE will be inconsistent.......for two reasons:

1.) Variation among performance / speed / lag on the various PC's each player uses

2.) Variation in Latency among the connections to all those various users.....

Anyone who's been online for a bit has seen this.....one player always gets a crap connection and one gets an uber connection.....even when trying to take on a PvE racing challenge, a bad connection or machine can prevent otherwise "equal" players from completing the same objective.

Edited by Oteefo

I agree with the OP. Solid conception of the Swoop Racing mini-game.

You don't have to worry about Swoop Racing being on rails. Racing games are SUPPOSED to be on rails. A Mario Kart (spell it with a K) comparison sounds very valid to me. People could freely move around the track and mess with other players on their swoops just like in Mario-Kart. Then because it's an MMO and people love to customize, they could add in a customization feature much like they are doing with Starfighter. It's do-able and I would love playing it.

I would probably live in the PvE version of it, then when I want to go crazy pop into the PvP version.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
We could have a circuit (different planets with different tracks) this could be PvP or PvE. Could upgrade swoop bikes like Gsf, and have Leaderboards. I always loved swoop racing in KoTor 1 & 2

Didn't know this topic still had some teeth :)

I like the idea of upgrading the swoop bikes like GSF.