What's the staus on Same-Sex Romances?

GregSJ

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fail too see the necessity of this really. I do not wanna step on any toes or anything, but, aint there more pressing concerns in this game that they should be taking care of then same sex romances?

If we take Mr. Amatengelo's words to be true, then same-sex romances are already completed, they just need to schedule a release date.

No one has asked for SGRA's to be put ahead of bug-fixes.

PvP and PvE content have already been released, patched and de/re-bugged since launch.

We are only asking for clarification of Bioware's intent to release same-sex content "this year", as stated at the Guild Summit in March. We ask for clarification due to changes that have occurred at Bioware and how close the end of the year is.

The writing team, incidentally, is not involved with bug fixing.

Edited by Tatile

I fail too see the necessity of this really. I do not wanna step on any toes or anything, but, aint there more pressing concerns in this game that they should be taking care of then same sex romances?

How have you failed to notice that other concerns have been and are taking precedence over same-gender content? No one is arguing that it should be otherwise. We're asking what the status of this content is. People do that all the time, on all sorts of topics. And most times that I see, their threads aren't locked.

just because they have a schedule or plan doesn't mean it's accurate or will happen that way and not be changed... there is a reason they don't post up the development schedule they use for public consumption... STO tried that with a calender which after having it be consistently wrong every single time and the players complaining about it they just axed it completely

the thing is... they HAVE stated it would come this year - at the guild summit.

granted there are more things they promissed for the guild summit that are not yet in-game, some not even on the horizon, but I am simply not putting one of these things higher than others.

for long long years now same sex options have been a part of bioware games. I may be a huge star wars fan, I would even go so far as to say I am more a star wars EU fan than a star wars movies fan and I especially love the stories revolving around the old republic... I am super excited about HK and all these little thingies.. but from a 'bioware fangirl' point of view, there are things that just make my stomach crumble,and not in a good way.

I will be a very very happy gamer, (or call me BioWaver fangirl if you like) the day when we get Same-Sex romances in the game :D

lvl 1-50 I really story-play my characters. Sure there's a little low-lvl-PvP with the guild and a few FP:s but the thing that I really spend time on is the story. After hitting 50 it is Operations with the guild that is the big thing. Got the game because it is BioWare and I've spend soooo many hours playing ME, ME2, ME3, DA:O and DAII. Romances are actually very important to me, just enjoy the story much more when I can have that connection to it as well. Makes my characters feel more real to me.

I don't often write in the thread on the Lore-forum, but I read it quite often to see if anything new has come up. I am a 100% sure that we will get it in the game one day. Just hope that it is sooner rather than later.

cheers :p

Edited by SilentKitty

Come on, people just wanna know how it's going, much like hey, where's the Cathar? Even MMO players don't always post insisting that the company drop everything until everyone else's class is nerfed ;)

Hope for the best, expect the worst.

So i'll just say that i doubt this will be implemented.

I think out of the million things this game desperately needs in future updates I think I'll put same sex relationship with companions at the bottom of the list. Why is this such a needed addition to the game. It's just dialogue and kiss animations. Is that REALLY what the SWTOR needs right now. Are you actually staring at your companions all day sadly wanting to get it on with them. Seriously Bioware, take all the time you want on these SGR's.

Assuming that the writers have anything to do with bug fixing or anything but the story, yehhhhh.

I seriously hate it when people rinse and repeat reasons this should be way down the list despite the fact that reason has been debunked a thousand times before.

Pretty much this. I love how some people assume that there can only be one department at a time working on things.

Because that's the way an MMO works, right? /sarcasm

The bug fixes will still get worked on. So will PvP, gear balance, Ops and HMs. They are different departments and they like to have everything as polished as possible. This will not take away time or resources from other departments. The money has been spent and it would be a waste to put this optional content on the back burner for too much longer. Plus, it's been promised and it is coming.

My question wasn't rhetorical. It was very serious and the second time I've asked in this thread. I'd like an answer to that question that isn't a "priority" answer or an answer that isn't solely based on disgust.

Edit: Wanted to add this...

Dev: "We're going to have Makeb, with all new questing and story content!"

Player: "Sweet! More story! Let's discuss possibilities!"

Meanwhile...

Dev: "Same gender romance is going to be in ToR, possibly coming with Makeb."

Possibly the same Player: "How can they waste the money/time for this story crap when the rest of the game needs fixing?"

Yeah, way to stay consistent. :confused:

Give us a sign BW! It's apparent that a status update directly from the horse's mouth is needed right about now.

Edited by natashina

Yay, it's THIS thread again! You guys keep on fighting the good fight. I'm sure you'll get your 10 minutes of romantic dialogue plus two blacked out screens eventually.

I think you underestimate the amount of fade-to-blacks Doc can pull off on single ship visit. :p

I don't think I can stress enough that BioWare needs to address the entire player base about SGRs.

There is going to be anger, confusion and some hatred for the game when this comes out. There'll be cheering, clarity and some love for the game when this comes out. BioWare needs start talking about this now. Letting it sit until the patch that contains SRGs to come onto the Player Test Realms is really doing them harm.

All the players in this matter, whether they be for it, against it or indifferent to romance content in the game all together, deserve to hear what is going on from BioWare. Not just regarding this, but for other matters too.

However, those other matters are not the point of this thread, as was stated many times.

Edited by natashina

I feel that there was a huge underestimation of the SGRA's along with some other game features which were considered a "niche". The discussion and player demand for that content had been going since 2008 and the threads were extended countless times due to reaching the post limit. Not to mention the expectations from a BioWare game came to a bitter end when it was finally clear that we will not have SGRA's any time soon.

BioWare had been building a strong social profile in the past years. Even Mass Effect which was initially not intended to have same-sex romance had that fully included in the final installment of the trilogy. Looking back now we can only see the massive positive reception of Bio's stance on SGRA's in their previous games. And I believe it's easy to understand how their biggest project, namely The Old Republic, felt like a betrayal to a lot of people for whom that content felt very personal.

I think that for a discussion that's been ongoing for 4 years and now 1 year into the live game, it's very justified to ask and to expect to receive a definitive statement on the status of same sex romances.

Speaking as someone with no personal interest in SGRAs, I would of course prefer that they focused on other issues that affect the majority (as I suspect they have done). That being said SGRAs have been promised to be implemented since before launch, so it does not surprise me one iota that people looking foward to this being added want to know what the situation is after nearly a year of waiting.

The fact that Bioware have said it will be included post launch pretty much nullify any arguments of wether it should be included, the position is that it will be. If it bothers you that much go play something else. I also think in this instance that people clamouring for it are not being entitled, they were promised something that has yet to appear. I'm sure the announcement of SGRA inclusion influenced some people to purchase the game. As such it does need to be looked at and included at some point.

The only thing to be said against these claims is afaik no specific date was actually set, and there are other things that have also been promised (like the super secret space stuff, guild capital ships etc). Whilst I'm sure all of us that want to see these things included would love to know when they will hit live if they haven't set a date there is not much to be done but wait patiently and ask a perfectly valid question every now and again. I mean Heaven's they are only just getting to implement HK-51 next month, and we've all been waiting how long for that?

Except they have, they stated that this year we would see SGRA content, lead PvP designer Gabe Amantangelo(Hope I didn't butcher that) also said he believes it is in the Makeb patch, Hall Hood later stated on Twitter that what he said was correct, though that tweet was later removed, all we want to know is if that is true, if SGRA content is in Makeb, once we get that answered I imagine we can all move on.

I guess you are another person who either didn't get the countless "Its coming" memos, or just can't accept that its coming til it happens.

Edited by ObiJuanShenobi

it's also a few people who want better space combat and more warzones; it's a few people who want more playable races and a few people who want more classes; it's a few people who want different clothes and a few people who want different voices for their characters... a few people who want more operations, a few people who want other planets, a few people who want faster speeder and a few people who want weather changes...

Wow, you're really reaching here.

Saying that just "a few" people want the features you just listed is completely laughable. Nearly every poster on these forums have screamed for all of this stuff. There are multitudes more threads about better space combat, wz's, playable races, ops than there are about Same Sex Romance that stretch on for pages and pages. Want proof? Utilize the search bar....or better yet, pay attention to the threads that pop up every day on here. I support the fact that you want this feature and hope you eventually get it in due process once more important game-breaking issues have been fixed, but don't completely lie like that just to suit your own argument, kid. :rolleyes:

Edited by ObiJuanShenobi

Yes, because BW saying "This feature is coming" countless times isn't good enough for you people. You are like a bunch of children, how many times do you have to be told it will happen before you accept the fact that its coming? Oh that's right.... til the day it happens. Til then, you will just create a hundred threads about it instead of using one just to be obnoxious.

Just like the people asking about more warzones or world pvp or more raids... blah blah blah.

How bout you just pass over the thread and ignore it since it doesnt apply to you? :cool:

Yes, because BW saying "This feature is coming" countless times isn't good enough for you people. You are like a bunch of children, how many times do you have to be told it will happen before you accept the fact that its coming? Oh that's right.... til the day it happens. Til then, you will just create a hundred threads about it instead of using one just to be obnoxious.

^ this ^

/thread

I mean Heaven's they are only just getting to implement HK-51 next month, and we've all been waiting how long for that?

Less than six months. HK-51 was announced July 16. If we get 1.5 in the next week or two, that will be about three and a half months since the announcement. And people were making threads every patch to ask about him. And those threads weren't locked, nor were they trolled by hostile players.

And in fact, we have been given a ballpark figure for the inclusion of same-gender companion romance, from former lead writer Damiel Erickson at the Guild Summit last March. We were told the content will come this year. Now, that is over seven months without a word, going on eight.

A lot has happened since then, both in the studio and in the direction of the game. Development times are necessarily elastic and plans do change. So asking if we are still on track for this year, or whether that content is, as was rumored, coming with Makeb, seems reasonable to me.

And if the original poster never knew there was a dedicated thread in Story and Lore to asking, then it is valid for him to ask here. And if that thread, which has been running for ten months, over seventy-five hundred posts and half a million views, has never gotten a response, I think that even those of us who know quite well that is is there can be excused for feeling that posting to a thread in General Discussion is apt to be more productive.

Edited by Uluain

I guess you are another person who either didn't get the countless "Its coming" memos, or just can't accept that its coming til it happens.

Countless? Two is countless?

That's as many times as BioWare has officially issued any statement on this content. The original announcement is the stock response. It is over a year old, dating from before launch, stating the position in language that speaks of game launch as a future event, and was written by a man who left the studio five months ago.

I think we can be forgiven for wanting a status update that we don't have to blow dust off of.

Perhaps there have been no official announcements because there is nothing to announce. While they said they will put it in, perhaps they don't know when or they thought x patch/expansion would be it but turned out to not be. If they came out and said we don't know would that be ok or would most asking for this say it's not enough.

Perhaps there have been no official announcements because there is nothing to announce. While they said they will put it in, perhaps they don't know when or they thought x patch/expansion would be it but turned out to not be. If they came out and said we don't know would that be ok or would most asking for this say it's not enough.

it would be more ok than keeping people in the dark, yes. would I be upset if I heard 'we don't know' instead of 'it's coming soon'? of course.... obviously we all want what is important to us asap. who doesn't?

but I can only stretch it so much: even IF it's coming with Makeb, that means I will 'forgive' them for including other sex romance but not same sex romance - but I won't forget it.

this is a bioware game. certain things you just expect when you've been a fan of the company for more than 10 years. (and damn, there has been a lot to forgive in the last few years)

but yes, I agree with what someone else said a few pages back: you can't blame this on EA, either. the sims is one of the best selling game series ever, if not .the. best selling (I honestly don't know the numbers)

It was announced at the beginning of the year, that we would actually see the implementation of same sex romance options in TOR. At the time it was a hot topic and evoked a lot of discussion all over the place. Since then I've heard absolutely nothing more about it, besides the occasional speculation and the long outdated comment that it's coming down the pipe. It's almost the end of the year and we have not heard or seen anything substantial in regards to this promised addition. To be honest this is the one big addition I've been waiting for, and it would help if I could find any recent piece of information regarding it. Any information on where they are with this; are they even working on it? Or has Bioware just randomly shelved the idea after all the hype?

Nobody. Cares. Not. Important.