Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

Pencilvania

I would LOVE a Mac Client. I hate booting into windows all the time.

But the Engine Roadmap is not something to go by. SWTOR is forked from the Hero engine and modified it, for a while now, anything added to the engine does not make it to SWTOR.

In other words. It is up to Bioware.

-Attempt to bring the engine up to where Hero is now

-Re-write the game using a new engine

-Write Mac Support into their copy of the engine

-Wrap the client in a Mac wrapper

All 4 are either very time consuming or will give bad performance.

They've achieved some fantastic things given the rocky start with their tools but from what I've picked up over many months, it does seem like they've essentially re-created the wheel where the original Hero engine's concerned.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they feel like they're unhappy with the direction their engine has gone while being tied to the foundation of a toolset whose features they don't use anymore.

A re-write would be a massive project but if they've been re-writing and building from scratch all this time, starting over in a way that leverages previous work seems like an option they'd seriously consider exploring - in doing so of course, they'd have the chance to reach out to other platforms and a larger pool of much needed players.

With Titan being delayed to 2016, they must feel they've had a stay-of-execution, and have a special opportunity to prepare to compete. I hope they make the most of it.

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not totally familiar with how licensing works but from what I understand Microsoft charges a developer license fee to use DirectX. Apple, however, uses OpenGL which is open source. So I'd imagine it would be cheaper for developers to use OpenGL over DirectX.

I have a Mac and play SWTOR in Boot Camp with Windows 7. Runs like a champ. In a perfect world it would be great if there were a native Mac OS X version, but that ain't going to happen IMO. Too expensive a port for too little a client base, not to mention patch synchronization across two OS.

I learned a while ago, if you like great games, your best bet is to get a PC, or use Boot Camp to run Windows. (The third option is to get a console).

Lets start by naming MMOs/popular multiplayer games that have a native a client:

World of Warcraft

Lord of the Rings Online

Guild Wars 2

Starcraft 2

League of Legends

Final Fantasy: A Realm Reborn

Eve Online

Diablo 3

DoTA2

Team Fortress 2

EverQuest

War hammer Online

Dungeons and Dragons Online

Call of Duty 4

Sim City

So don't try to tell me there's no demand for it if more and more games are coming natively to OSX.

To all you people who are all "wassh I don't like OSx cause it's a monopoly", and similar complaints, you better take a look a who makes your precious DirectX. DirectX vs OpenGL is the only reason you don't see more native Mac clients.

Edited by Aramyth

But then you are stuck with only windows, which is awful. And when people say the cost equivalent line, they never seem to count the amazing mac monitors/screens. They are breathtaking compared to most others. I know there is no way of convincing you as I used to hate mac until I went to film school and was forced to use one. I was dying to get back to my windows machine a few months later and then when I finally did it was terrible compared to the mac I was forced to use.

I've never looked back since.

Someone drank the koolaid. Mac monitors use the same technology as everyone else's.

This all is true. But how many PCs are out there compared to Macs, used mostly for gaming? I am a longtime Mac owner, but I don't see why any company would invest in porting over something from PC to Mac a year or more after the game has been out. My opinion: If you want to do dual release, do it at game start, not a year or more after it's been out. I do not know on your list whether the games were released simultaneously for OS X and Windows.

Lets start by naming MMOs/popular multiplayer games that have a native a client:

World of Warcraft

Lord of the Rings Online

Guild Wars 2

Starcraft 2

League of Legends

Final Fantasy: A Realm Reborn

Eve Online

Diablo 3

DoTA2

Team Fortress 2

EverQuest

War hammer Online

Dungeons and Dragons Online

Call of Duty 4

Sim City

So don't try to tell me there's no demand for it if more and more games are coming natively to OSX.

To all you people who are all "wassh I don't like OSx cause it's a monopoly", and similar complaints, you better take a look a who makes your precious DirectX. DirectX vs OpenGL is the only reason you don't see more native Mac clients.

If you own a Mac boot camp it.... And this is coming from a MacBook pro computer with Windows 7 on it. It would be bad business to program a whole new version for the 5% of the population that doesn't have windows on their machine.

You have no data to evaluate either how many mac users there may currently or potentially be, and you have no data about the cost / benefit of undertaking the project and no data upon which to base any future projections.

At the WWDC currently taking place, they've pointed out that Apple has paid developers ten billion dollars in revenue. That's chiefly for iOS applications like angry birds and temple run - a super simple game about flinging things at oblongs to topple them and a dude who runs in a straight line, occasionally jumping or sliding. Everybody's big interest here is clearly to play swtor on their Mac... isn't it? That is the core assumption behind this entire thread, right?

Developing for Mac OS and iOS shares many similarities, the SDK's have differences, the UI's have differences but they're not particularly significant differences - so there's some degree of challenge, but are you seriously suggesting that swtor isn't worth building for a ten billion dollar market, a market where the only other competition is an ageing WoW and gimmicky one-trick-ponies...

If you own a Mac boot camp it.... And this is coming from a MacBook pro computer with Windows 7 on it. It would be bad business to program a whole new version for the 5% of the population that doesn't have windows on their machine.

Makes you wonder why so many developers are supporting the Mac then even Bethesda which said in the past they would not develop for the Mac are now developing a native mac client for Elder Scrolls Online. Just about every single game developer is now supporting the Mac platform in one way or another. I guess they are all bad companies.

Makes you wonder why so many developers are supporting the Mac then even Bethesda which said in the past they would not develop for the Mac are now developing a native mac client for Elder Scrolls Online. Just about every single game developer is now supporting the Mac platform in one way or another. I guess they are all bad companies.

Building something from the ground up during development is different than trying to go back and add a mac client later.

Building something from the ground up during development is different than trying to go back and add a mac client later.

Yes and no.

Some games are simple ports.

Some games are not.

Depends on how it was programmed, and what resources they have available to them to help the port. On top of that, this thread started before the game was released. Quite a few games have added Mac clients post-launch.

Its not for the 5% of players who bootcamp. Its for the unknown number of folks who don't play at all because they don't like windows for whatever reason.

Think of it this way: when they make the xbox version of a game, its not for the x% of playstation owners who also own an xbox. Its for the folks that have an xbox, but aren't playing because its not available. (and they refuse to bootcamp and buy windows)

This game has been bad business from the start. The only thing keeping it alive is the starwars brand, which I guess is enough for me for the time being.

However, this is coming from windows 7 bootcamp on a high end mac workstation, so you see I'm not holding my breath.

Mac is a growing market. Its not nearly as large as Windows is but when you cut out all the corporate Windows users and focus on home use, that divide narrows considerably. Most software companies recognize that and its why the mac software market has been expanding. This isn't a windows vs mac post, I don't know which is better and frankly I don't really care. This is just reality.

I dont use a mac, I would like to, but I have an alienware aurora r4 so for the moment I wont use a mac, but a client for mac would be nice, more plataforms = more players, and in the future if I jump into a mac I would like to have this game running...

I don't buy that the whole game needs to be rewritten to run on OS X . GuildWars 2 has a Mac client that works perfectly while the game itself is still Windows-based and translated using Wine. BioWare could do the exact same thing with minimal dev time and include those people, who are being discriminated against based purely on their PC of choice. Saying it takes away from development on the Windows side is a cop-out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

/signed

I'm just tired of windows and the constant glitches, even though I prefer Mac OS a lot better because it is like a tank. I really hope they develop a Mac port for this game, and if they do, please make the login an app, Like they have done with KOTOR 1. also any word for the KOTOR 2 for the Mac. I would really like to play all of it to understand TORs Background story :) Thanks!

Absolutely support it.

There is a large market of hipster gamers that own a Mac that would certainly give it a shot since its F2P.

If the market were that large - large enough for the revenue for the port to overcome the cost of producing it - they would have already done it.