Why Macros belong in TOR.

_compton_

I think he really wants the mouse-overs. Which I never personally liked ;)

Then why include all the focus stuff that's already in the game....

I never really got the use of mouse over, considering that realistically you could be using your mouse pointer to move around at all times (In PVP, LoS is the difference between winning and losing)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You NEED macros to compete against others with macros. You WANT macros to crush casuals.

This fo sho. Macros add another layer to the game that I for one don't want. The same goes 1000 times for add-ons.

I thought otherwise until I played the game.

All your abilities can fit on your action bars. All your action bars can be key bound. There is a focus target swap, a focus target modifier, and an assist all built into swtor's keybindings. Ok so no mouseover but then that's really just 1 click away from target anyway.

I don't understand what more is needed and to what end and I haven't seen anything in the 50 pages of this thread to convince me.

Is #1 the highest levels?

http://i.imgur.com/IwVes.jpg

Anything else to say, or do you not have an argument aside from "you suck"

impressive. most impressive.

edit: this may be the only 'star wars' related response in this thread lmao

Edited by Sake

I am really of a totally different opinion, macros are cheats imo. I never used them, and I played some mean pvp and some high end game raiding..

Moreso, if it comes to the point where the better macros win the fight, then I am really upset, writing macros shouldn't be a skill needed to be a good pvp'er or raider..

I say no thanks..

All your abilities can fit on your action bars. All your action bars can be key bound. There is a focus target swap, a focus target modifier, and an assist all built into swtor's keybindings. Ok so no mouseover but then that's really just 1 click away from target anyway.

I don't understand what more is needed and to what end and I haven't seen anything in the 50 pages of this thread to convince me.

Be proficient with keybinds and macros are no longer necessary.

So what you're saying is that you need macros to make up for your shortcomings?

EXACTLY. L2P OP, you pathetic WoW peasant.

Macros and add-ons are a huge HUGE, god-awful time sink. I can't stand sitting around writing and changing macros or fussing with add-ons for hours, just to keep up with all the wannabe PVP'ers in WoW.

Macros and add-ins should never be added to this game. They detract from the learned-skills that separate the men from the noobs (like the OP of this thread).

Part of PVP is deciding how, when, and what abilities should be used and not used in a fixed length of time; The ability to automate these decisions takes away from the skill required to be great at a game like this.

The only reason for macros is so that experienced PVP players can annihilate casual players, and to keep up with other PVP players. They do not add anything meaningful to the game in any way shape or form.

Edited by daarthshatner

Is #1 the highest levels?

http://i.imgur.com/IwVes.jpg

Anything else to say, or do you not have an argument aside from "you suck"

Um, that's not proof of rank 1 - and it was what? season 1? Everybody got "gladiator" then, it wasn't until season 2 onward that rank 1 titles were given out. (merciless, vengeful, etc) and your team rating for season 2 (I know glad was pretty low then, but it was about 2300+) gives you Duelist for that season.

I'm not bashing a Gladiator title in any season of arena but implying it was #1 is a bit misleading...

For example: on Reckoning, for season 3

2v2 - 278 teams qualified for Gladiator titles

3v3 - 148 teams

5v5 - 61

and then remember 13 battlegroups with similiar numbers in each.

and this entire thread is kinda pointless. The developers have already stated their intention of including macros in some capacity in later patches... but my primary concern at this point is the freaking buggy as hell UI, the smoothness of the controls and the irritating targeting system.

Edited by Rasstavad

No Macros' people who want this legalized hacking software built into the game should leave, their kind isn't wanted here or anywhere else. No Macros, learn to play properly.

Whatcha gonna do when they DO add them to the game, it's not an IF, it's a WHEN - the developers have already said they would.

so whatcha gonna do little buddy? ..... leave??

rofl

Edited by Rasstavad

Omg..ROFL at all the clueless Baddies saying no to macros because their "cheats" or because people need to learn to play...just rofl!

First of all,IF U NEVER ACOMPLIAHED ANY RATING,score,title,rank in any known pvp platform ur opinion is worth ZERO on this matter(and I mean ratings titles ranks etc considered by the majority as ABOVE AVERAGE)

About he macros I Only have this to say

PROFESSIONAL PLAYERS(payed to PLAY,with better game knowledge and incomparable skill to yours)USE THEM!...ON OFFICIAL COMPETITIONS(with prize money going over what ur mum makes in a month on her corner)

Therefore it's NOT CHEATING and it's used to enhance ur gMestyle by personalizing and adapting the game UI TO YOUR Playstyle

Anyone that says otherwise is just bad....and clueless Nd srsly need to stop talking about pvp bEcUse their just making a fool of themselves

EXACTLY. L2P OP, you pathetic WoW peasant.

Macros and add-ons are a huge HUGE, god-awful time sink. I can't stand sitting around writing and changing macros or fussing with add-ons for hours, just to keep up with all the wannabe PVP'ers in WoW.

Macros and add-ins should never be added to this game. They detract from the learned-skills that separate the men from the noobs (like the OP of this thread).

Part of PVP is deciding how, when, and what abilities should be used and not used in a fixed length of time; The ability to automate these decisions takes away from the skill required to be great at a game like this.

The only reason for macros is so that experienced PVP players can annihilate casual players, and to keep up with other PVP players. They do not add anything meaningful to the game in any way shape or form.

Heh, if you want anyone to consider any of your statements valid perhaps you should try to avoid contradicting yourself. It is also clear that you failed to read the OP, and have no concept of what this thread is actually advocating for.

You say "macro usage separates the noobs from the "men" (lol), and then continue and say that macros only purpose are to widen the gap between "experienced PvP players" and "casuals".

So, which is it? Are macros utilized by experienced PvPers, or the "noobs"? Also, please actually read the OP before making unsubstantiated statements in ignorance.

Thanks.

@Chris - the screenshot that you posted looks to be from season 1 - and unless you're hiding the binding text on your binds, it looks as though you clicked your way to Glad.

Where were you playing? BG3? Also, considering the extent to which the game has developed and evolved since early BC, that screenshot is hardly relevant to the current discussion.

Edited by _compton_

First you're complaining about no macros - then if/when you get them you'll be complaining about not being able to use abilities as much as you want/can with the macros (effectively wanting to outperform other roles) due to lack of focus regen, etc.

Then when they buff the **** out of healing classes they will grossly outperform other roles and we will be left with an extremely imbalanced game where all that matters to determine whether you're going to have a chance of winning a BG or not is whether you have more healers than their team (or healers period) - and even like 6 people attacking a single healer doesn't kill them.

Then you're left with the current state of WoW.

@ Mack - I'd also be concerned about the slippery slope effect, that's why I'm advocating for limited implementation.

@Mad - Clearly didn't read the OP, all you're accomplishing is making yourself look foolish and ignorant.

Edited by _compton_

Best part of this game is no macros it seperates the men from the boys.

Macros make a game skilless hence why u have peeps wanting them so they can feel like they can play!

Gona try again in a more simple way for clueless scrubs to understand

PROFESSIONAL PLAYERS(payed to play) USE MACROS AT OFFICIlAL COMPETITIONS(macros,not addons)

U won't ever reach 1/4 of their skill

Official competitions>>therefore NOT CHEATING

NOW try to use ur 2 only brain cells to figure why pro players use them and why oficial competitions allow them...

Clueless scrubs shouldn't be allowed to even post on a pvp thread...

AND BIOWARE ALLREADY SAID THAT MACROS ARE

COMING SOON..so,stay small,stY wrong,stay owned, be BAD AND MAD!

The internet is an awful place. A constructive post like this turns into people literaly just throwing rocks at eachother from higher self-dis positioned horses.

How about this, as human beings stick the troll up your *** for ONE MINUTE and

consider the following:

When you went to school and were faced with a simple math problem, you could use a calculator, or you could CHOOSE not to use a calculator. BUT AT LEAST THE OPTION WAS THERE.

same concept, if you're against macros, don't use them. But you are not EVERYONE. Some people want to use them, we all live here, we all play this game, we all play together, some people like macros.. some don't, *********** deal with it.

immediately upon logging into the game initially during early access, i set my keybinds, and then typed "/m" into the chatbox, intending to get a feel for macro function within the game. I was surprised, as were many of my friends, guild mates and others that i've spoken to, when nothing was forthcoming. I went straight to google, and my query was "swtor macro support?". My jaw literally dropped as, on the first link i followed, i read that there would be no macro support at launch.

The lack of macro support in tandem with focus functionality initially inhibited me, and many others i've spoken with, from playing as effectively as we feel that we are capable of, and by extension, decreased the amount of enjoyment we were able to derive from pvping in this game.

Here's why: No one can deny, a large portion of swtor players are going to be coming either directly from wow, or will at least be players with prior experience with that particularly behemoth. If you ask any competitive pvp player in wow, focus and macro functionality are absolutely vital to maximize efficiency. In addition, many healers will find their ability to effectively heal a large group impacted by a lack of mouse-over macros, another staple of the competitive wow pvp and pve communities.

Before you point out "this is not wow", we're all aware it isn't, obviously. but not supporting features that detract nothing from the game and would be welcomed (and the absence of which is already negatively affecting the experience of many people i know personally within the game) is silly.

many aspects of this game and the systems within it are derived indirectly from other mmos, wow included and probably the most prevalent due to it's size and popularity. Macros and focus are a staple within wow particularly at end-game and proliferate even more at higher levels of competition, both within the pvp and pve communities. i'm positive that competitive pve and pvp scenes are something that bioware wants to cultivate and foster within tor - the development of these scenes would benefit the game hugely. It is within the best interests of the games success and the developers to attract as many players as possible and to facilitate truly competitive gameplay. I believe that macro and focus support are vital to the realization of this eventuality, and that is the bottom line imo.

there is nothing about macro and focus use that suggests "skill-less". Ask yourself, what is easier to manage? A single target, or multiple targets, each of which could be casting spells or performing abilities that you need to maintain awareness of at all times? the only people who dislike macros in this context either were unable to use them properly, or were unwilling to even try using them initially.

bottom line, macros, particularly in a pvp scenario and particularly in concert with focus, should be supported and available to those who wish to utilize them.

finally, please, please discuss this. Opinions from every perspective are valid, and i know there are players who both vehemently support and oppose the advent of macros within tor.

If you agree that macros do belong in the game, why?

If you believe the implementation of macros would harm the game, why?

Edit for brevity!

Here's a condensed version/tl;dr for everyone unwilling to devote the time to read everything said above:

-the lack of macro and focus functionality/support within the game inhibits the play experience. Particularly for those coming from other games (wow being the most prevalent) that are used to the increased effectiveness macro use facilitates.

-macros and focus are vital elements in a truly competitive pvp/pve scene, the development of which can only benefit the game as a whole.

-not supporting features that detract nothing from the game and would be welcomed (and the absence of which is already negatively affecting the experience of many people i know personally within the game) is silly.

-macro use, particularly in tandem with focus, is not "skill-less" but the converse. It adds complexity to the game.

-discuss!

important: I am not necessarily asking for support for completely customizable macros, but support for what i believe are two functions vital to competitive and satisfying gameplay:

-focus macro support

and

-mouseover macro support

macros are not addons. Here's the disparity, and it's a fundamental one. Addons are pieces of coding written by 3rd parties which alter the user interface, primarily. Macros are lines of text written within the game, that do not alter the ui, change any frames, or give you information you wouldn't otherwise have access to. What i am asking for is not an iwin single button spam for multiple abilities.

"macros are a pretty broad term for certain convenience and advanced user functions at this time. Some of those features are present as possible key binds in the game, others are not.

we’re not opposed to macros, we don’t hate them, in fact we will probably add them, but probably not for launch."

-georg zoeller

what i am actually asking for support for:

focus macro functionality to use with the focus frames that are already within the game. Such a macro would look like this:

/cast [target=focus] "abilityname"

here's a mouseover macro -

/cast [target=mouseover] "abilityname"

devilishly complicated, right?

+1

Um, that's not proof of rank 1 - and it was what? season 1? Everybody got "gladiator" then, it wasn't until season 2 onward that rank 1 titles were given out. (merciless, vengeful, etc) and your team rating for season 2 (I know glad was pretty low then, but it was about 2300+) gives you Duelist for that season.

I'm not bashing a Gladiator title in any season of arena but implying it was #1 is a bit misleading...

For example: on Reckoning, for season 3

2v2 - 278 teams qualified for Gladiator titles

3v3 - 148 teams

5v5 - 61

and then remember 13 battlegroups with similiar numbers in each.

and this entire thread is kinda pointless. The developers have already stated their intention of including macros in some capacity in later patches... but my primary concern at this point is the freaking buggy as hell UI, the smoothness of the controls and the irritating targeting system.

um, gladiator in season 3 and 4 was literally 1900 rating

lol

Lmao pro players use macros cause they are allowed to in the game they are playing.

Old school gamers l2p without this luxury maybe u should too. Lmao using the term scrubs...look in the mirror and u will see one.

I dont know what you mean with old school players but in UO we used another program that allowed us to "macro" skills together and that was atleast 10 years ago.

You can now macro skills together with macro keyboards/mices but I want only focus/mouseover macros.

Edited by pheuno

Bottom line is that macro implimentation would be a smart idea on Bioware's part. If you don't like macros and think they are for sissys then your situation is easily solved, DON'T USE THEM.

If you do like macros, then yours is just as easy.. use them. I don't see why there is an argument over this.

The game doesnt have macros so there should be no arguement to begin with. Having said that macros dumb down a game. Are they usefull?.... sure since u dont have to do any thinking but smash a couple of keys to own face. No macros means OMG I have to think about what im going to do next....

The game doesnt have macros so there should be no arguement to begin with. Having said that macros dumb down a game. Are they usefull?.... sure since u dont have to do any thinking but smash a couple of keys to own face. No macros means OMG I have to think about what im going to do next....

Based on this logic the game also doesnt have EVERYTHING ELSE people are asking for on the forums, so we shouldn't bother adding them. Go to bed man, you're emberassing yourself.

Omg when I thnk u can't wright anything worst then what u already did u go around and bear ur oWn retiredness rofl

Srsly dude u have no clue about pvp and the usage of macros rofl

BTW BIOWARE ALLREADY ANOUNCEDACROSNARE

COMING SOON..so ye...prOven wrong,again,even by Bw rofl

Stay bad