Deserter debuff, no excuses

BingoLarsson

People are more and more often rage quitting warzones or soon as they see a smallest sign that their team might be losing. This is because there is absolutely no punishment for this kind of behavior, which pretty much ruins the warzone for rest of the people. Lot of people also drop straight away if they get middle of a ongoing warzone, making the backfill take ages before somebody actually stays.

Some counter arguments I have already seen were in the style "my baby started crying and had to go check up him/her" or "my roommate came to ask me for something" or "I do not care, I play casually" or "my internet connection is bad and I get disconnected from time to time". For me it sounds ridiculous. I really do not care about the reason why you dropped warzone, you are still ruining the game for the seven other people in the ops group.

So can please anybody give a proper reason why BW should not implement this?

Its getting really boring listening to the squealers about this issue. I hate the quitters as well, but then the game client crashes to desktop several times a night. Before you start squawking, i have an excellent rig, dont have any issues with other games. The game client inst stable yet, especially on ati cards. If im going to get a debuff, then i wont even bother with wz's again.

if i log straight back in, i cant get back into the same wz, i have to start again. BW maybe should keep the slot open and reconnect you to the wz when back in.

premades

If they made pugs face only pugs I would have absolutely no objection at all to a deserter debuff.

I still wouldn't. Reason being is not wanting a debuff has nothing to do with not wanting to have a penalty for people "rage quitting." It more has to do with in the past couple weeks, I have had some other reasons I left a WZ and I almost never do.

Last weekend, I had a few where I lost connection. Tried doing some maintenance on my network and powercycled for a total of 4 disconnects before I stopped until I saw the cable guy fixing lines outside in the neighborhood. Last night, the fiance came in and said she needed help with something right as I just joined. Had to ditch then as well.

My question is; how does it negatively affect you even if it is a rage quit? I usually see backfill anyway and generally it is either lost, or the person overreacted and you are better off with the replacement.

Edited by Technohic

People are more and more often rage quitting warzones or soon as they see a smallest sign that their team might be losing. This is because there is absolutely no punishment for this kind of behavior, which pretty much ruins the warzone for rest of the people. Lot of people also drop straight away if they get middle of a ongoing warzone, making the backfill take ages before somebody actually stays.

Some counter arguments I have already seen were in the style "my baby started crying and had to go check up him/her" or "my roommate came to ask me for something" or "I do not care, I play casually" or "my internet connection is bad and I get disconnected from time to time". For me it sounds ridiculous. I really do not care about the reason why you dropped warzone, you are still ruining the game for the seven other people in the ops group.

Here is a few:

1) the game crashed

2) the team they joined had some players wearing only PVE gear or even Mis-geared, (Bounty Hunter with Willpower off-pieces)

3) they have played with some of the same members in an earlier WZ and already know they are not compatent players.

4) Personal life happens

5) They need one match for their weekly and the game they joined is already losing.

6) a lame team that does nothing but die and you can get nothing done but get farmed.

7) bugs/exploits/hacks/ <- whatever Misc stuff you want to add

Look, nobody likes to rage quit. everyone wishes that every match they join is going to be a Insta-win but that is not the case.

If you want to know why people rage...

Nobody wants to be on the Titanic when it starts sinking.

Better to let them go, than seeing them in permanent camping-mode on alderaan or dancing-mode on huttball. :D

That's what would happen to. They would stand at the goal to provide a leap just to end the match quicker. Or lead you to believe they are guarding a node but then just let it get capped without calling.

That's what would happen to. They would stand at the goal to provide a leap just to end the match quicker. Or lead you to believe they are guarding a node but then just let it get capped without calling.

That would be my concern. (And shamefully I admit, when I'm in a terribad team with no hope of winning I've considered helping the other team just to get the sham over with. Haven't done it yet, but I've been tempted.)

The main part is applying penalties won't help the problem, and it certianly won't help BW retain subs. Like it or not, some people believe they have a right (and I can understand their logic) not to stay in a match if they don't like it. If you try and penalize them for leaving, your more likely to just have afker's or worse case scenario, people actively helping the other team win.

Edited by Doomsdaycomes

i can't see any reason to stay in a pug warzone i don't enjoy

And here we have the million dollar answer. Bingo. End this thread now.

I play to enjoy this game. I consider nothing a "grind" or "chore". I do what I want to do in the game, either on my own, with people I know or with total strangers.

In a recent WZ, Coast to be exact the following combination of things happened:

Spawn, run in....stun, knock down, stun, dead.

Respawn, run in, knock back and root, stun dead.

Now at this point I quit the WZ. Bad sport? Quite possibly what some will say however I'm not there for the enjoyment of the other team. I'm not there to boost their already inflated egos with kill counts.

I joined another WZ recently to watch every single player attempt to go mid in Civil War leaving our "own" turret without a single person running towards it.

I watched another Hutball game where the opposition were 3-0 up without a single person on my team having even touched the ball because everyone was death-matching in the middle.

I shall continue to quit and if they introduce a de-buff that won't stop me. If I've quit a zone it's usually because my side is poor of the opposition premade so I don't want to queue up again anyway. Get enough people de-buffed and those queues are gonna take even longer to pop.

Unashamed quitter when the WZ isn't worth wasting my time on. My record indicates more losses than wins. It is not a "Winning" vs "Losing" issue its a "Am I having fun?" issue. If the answer is a negative, then I leave.

Edited by Stoofa

Dude, you wanna what paying customers cannot play any time when they want in game, which they pay their money?

I understand you right, dude?

We all need only one - DEATHMATCH WZ WITH ZERO, ZERO OBJECTIVES except kills. Just for fun.

I promise you, no one, no one NEVER will be "RAGE QUIT" from that deathmatch WZ with ZERO OBJECTIVES. All will play only for fun and relax. And will be happy.

Thats all.

I might support this idea if, after being kicked due to lag/dc, I am allowed ~2min to reconnect to the match, during which time my spot is reserved.

Oh, and also similarly for "stuck facedown" in spawn bug, allow them to leave and rejoin.

But the deserter debuff doesn't address the real problem. The problem is that the player no longer wants to stay in the warzone. To counter this you need to entice them to stay. Ways of doing this would be pitting teams of like-skill players against each other, taking team gear disparity into account (stat bolster), and not allowing for matches to be practically decided 50% of the way through the match (Novare Coast is an excellent example of this). Steps such as these could go much further at addressing the root of the problem than adding an arbitrary penalty to players.

I won't stay in a game where I inspect said player and he has a colorful arrangement of lvl 40 greens( happened last night actually, and I was shocked), tionese, etc etc. ie. no pvp gear. I am not taking more of a beating because of a lazy player, or someone who couldn't take 5 minutes out of their day to do some pvp research.

Other than that I usually stay unless I get a phonecall, or whining dog at my feet.

In what way do debuffing those who quit for RL reasons benfit your gameplay? -They wont stay in game either way, since obviously a more important issue arose irl.

If Bioware/EA establishes a stable platform I'd say sure you joined a pug and you understand what you are getting into, but as it stands and has been stated penalizing folks for crashes is unreasonable.

I'm sure many will say it's user side but in all fairness I never had any crashes until patch 1.4 and now it's widespread for me and many others.

Before they could do that, they would need to add other improvements. For example the ability to queue for new games only, a decent vote kick system, the ability to select to queue for only certain WZs, the ability to rejoin an ongoing WZ if your game crashes. Just adding the deserter debuff would just result in them sitting afk in the match and ensuring your lose.