Can't get past a boss, advice needed

lanawinst

Hey everyone,

So I cannot kill the boss at the end of the sith inquisitor chapter I despite being level 34. I know i suck :p, most of you probably killed it at level 28, with one hand and while watching tv. But I was thinking, since I'm literally too frustrated to keep dying for the 20th time, can I move on to Taris and do the planetary quests, and get back later, when i'll be level 36 at least. Is this ok, or is this going to bork it?

And please, answer with spoilers if needed :)

I had this issue with my Sentinal. Don't remeber the boss but I was over leveled also. I don't know the inquisitor story yet but my suggestion is go ahead and go dink around on taris for a bit then try again. Maybe you'll come up with a new rotation or find a better peiece of gear. Also use the stims, they help. Just take a break and come back later. You can get frustrated and hard headed after so many defeats.

Good Luck.

Don't be afraid to ask for help in the general chat. If you just throw a message out there "hey can someone help with this boss", chances are pretty good that someone will give you a hand. And it will be a lot quicker than going on to another planet and coming back later. I had a similar problem on Voss. Died 17 times (I'm not kidding), then finally had to swallow my pride, admit defeat and ask for help. I had so many people offer to help that I had to turn away most of them. And the boss went down so quickly it was almost too easy. So, put the flag up and ask for some help. The worst thing that can happen is that no one will respond, then you can always go to Plan B.

Had a similar problem with the smuggler chapter 1 boss.

Squishy newbish healer against two elites?

I finally got a lvl 40-something friend to help.

Wasn't nearly so hard with my gunslinger.

Never done Inquisitor yet, so I can't give any specific advice, other than there is no shame in asking for help from a friend. :)

I didn't want to ask for help because it is a very spoilerish fight, and I didn't want to spoil anyone, besides the one here were generally under-leveled and there was actually a really low chance of finding someone able and willing to help who wouldn't be spoiled. And my friends aren't gamers (unless you count card games?^^), so it was not an option.

Thanks for the link. :) I finally managed to get through it by myself. I had good equipment and used stims. The issue was more of having to use a companion i didn't use usually and as of all bosses, it was all about the interrupts. And with the interface which I struggle with, by the time I clicked to my companion to heal it and came back to the boss, well, the boss had been healing itself and, well I started panicking because I needed the healing too and everything turned so wrong... :D So I focused on me and I finally managed to killed it, but it is a really close fight. One bad interrupt and you're dead.

Good to know that you can actually move on to the next planet without it bugging anything, I might do that if it happens again.

Edited by lanawinst

if its THAT fight i think it is, you have to interrupt the boss when he/she does the AoE.

are you sorceror or assassin? as sorc its easy. khem in and keep healing him and do some damage and interrupts. it takes time but its save.

as assassin the interrupts are more important. i guess you have 3 or 4 kind of interrupts, electrocute, overload and the interrupt spell. maybe you should take talos as your companion... oh wait when its that fight you have to do it with khem. if you cant interrupt, get him out aswell.

in fact that fight is rather easy.

Getting through on your own Is good interrupt training. The tougher bosses have the same problems but if you perfect your timing of interrupts you can usually get through the fights amazingly well.

And it carries over to endgame, all sorcs and sages are very vulnerable to interrupts. Unfortunately you don't learn their benefit fighting basic mobs.

in fact that fight is rather easy.

No- it isn't, especially if you haven't kept Khem geared. I had a much easier time with it on my sorc because I'd already leveled a 'sin to 50 and knew what to expect. The first time around I must have wiped five or six times before finally getting through it alive. It's for that very reason that I'll assist anyone who asks for help with that certain boss (if I'm on DK and see someone begging for help on general chat- and it seems like there's always someone begging for help with that fight).

Congrats OP- keep it up with the interrupts and you'll be fine :)

This and the fight at the end of the inquistor story require good interrupting skills. You need to interrupt the boss' channeled skills. You can use your interrupt, stun them, or (for some skills) run behind an obstacle to block line of sight. You can also use insta-cast whirlwind if you have it.

Learning to interrupt the channeled skills will make many of the fights against boss, elite, and flashpoint foes much easier. It's also a required tactic in PVP.

Edited by Infalliable

good luck

devs should know better than that,,missons like this should have been in endgame

as it is here it will only make casuals quit the game

i dont wanna do the "boss dance" before end game, so if u put it in, at least be smart

and put it in where players dont have to do it, and where players usually appreciate the challenge

in end game

As a counterpoint, I actually like challenging content throughout the game, even if it has me scratching my head for a day or two. It would be a shame if Bioware started nerfing Flashpoint encounters and significant story chapter climaxes out of a misguided belief that trivialized content is everybody's idea of fun. I believe that the level cap is a little late to start learning one's class, spec, and role.

Congrats on beating that encounter, OP! I hope you got a feeling of having mastered your Inquisitor a little more because of it! Now when somebody asks how to do it, you can be the one to teach.

Edited by Otembe

Like everyone has said, use interrupts when she uses her attacks. Also, use Heroic Moment: Channel the Force. It gives you a periodic health boost, removes the cooldown on electrocute--- and if you've finished chapter 3 on another character, lets you use a Legacy Power.

@Infalliable

Yep it really is all about interrupts with bosses. Whirlwind is a really useful cast and i use it a lot to take a boss/elite out of the equation when it is surrounded by other lower foes. That is a nice way to get rid of them and then tackle the boss/elite solo, which is way easier.

@Otembe:

I must say that I felt good about doing it by myself, and I do know better how to use my abilities: I have my interrupts on the bar from the highest cooldown to the lowest, so that you can launch the longest first then the second etc. But overall, I think you really have to find out what works for you. And since you can't block it all, you have to recognize which ability is the must-block, but it can deviate from player to player, for example, blocking this particuliar boss AoE didn't work for me, I had to focus on blocking the healing and escape the Aoe, and let my companion die.

But, I also can say that I knew already the tactics before since it wasn't the first boss encountered, but it was more about being able to apply it, and I have a hard time doing what i'm planning to do with the interface, maybe because i'm not used to fps and such and that i only played games where I could pause and reflect on what I'd do next. And also, even if I felt good about getting out by myself of a difficult fight, and a end chapter boss SHOULD be difficult, there's something about being too difficult. I think that 10 more beat and I would have probably quit it for something else (especially since I tried it first at level 32, got my *** kicked, and didn't see that much of a change 2 levels after, so I was starting to feel like I couldn't do it). And since something difficult for me is not difficult for someone else, what I really miss is the option to put an easy mode for players like me (and an hard mode for people who think it's not challenging enough). I know, it's an MMO and PVP, which I don't plan to use at all, can't allow that. One more reason i don't really like MMOs i guess^^.

Edited by lanawinst

No- it isn't, especially if you haven't kept Khem geared. I had a much easier time with it on my sorc because I'd already leveled a 'sin to 50 and knew what to expect. The first time around I must have wiped five or six times before finally getting through it alive. It's for that very reason that I'll assist anyone who asks for help with that certain boss (if I'm on DK and see someone begging for help on general chat- and it seems like there's always someone begging for help with that fight).

Congrats OP- keep it up with the interrupts and you'll be fine :)

bad to hear that you also had some troubles. maybe its because i play mostly PvP and there you need a lot of movement and good interrupting skills, so this boss was rather easy for both my sorceror and my assassin. i didnt die once. its really ONLY about interrupting and you wont take high damage. no matter how badly geared khem val is. i guess i could tank that boss with khem in damage mode (with my assassin) just with using the interrupts and all of the defensive skills, 1 potion and that 2 minute CD defensive skill every class has. maybe i wouldnt need all of that either. overload, electrocute, jolt and good movement should be enough.

All end Tier 1 bosses are about interrupting primarily and also use of LoS where practical.

For that particular boss I struggled with when to use the interrupts most effectively, during her offensive casts or healing casts. It was a long time ago now, but I think I used them for breaking her heals.

That particular fight is the hardest for the Inquisitor class at any level during the levelling process (in my opinion), so once you are past it you should find nothing quite so challenging again.

ok u like a challenging game,,look at the subs and count how many agrees

the game was designed to keep the hardcores from ripping through it,,which they did anyway

not for the fun of casuals, but a game of this size need casuals to get money

now ure sitting in a narrow game that is dieing

Quick note to confirm what have been said earlier. After that fight it gets way easier. I rushed through the end of act II (mainly because act I felt like it would never end) and the boss at the end was very easy compared to this one. I was way under-leveled this time and had no trouble killing it. Felt good moving on to the rest of the story without having to grind through boring kill this/fetch this quests to level up :D Edited by lanawinst

As general rules for tough boss fights...

- Make sure your armor is at 100% (doesn't need repair).

- Use the highest level stim (and carry a few extra) for your main stat to give your toon a little extra boost.

- Make sure you have the best medpacks available for your level

- Unless your companion is the healer, send them in first and wait a second so they get aggro.

- If you have a 'cleanse' and the boss puts dots/stacks on you or companion, make sure you use it.

- use the interrupt if you have one.

- If there are weaker adds (npc's that help the boss), kill them first. If you die, they don't respawn immediately and the boss won't have their help for rounds 2 or 3 (usually you should repair after 3 or 4 wipes).

- If you have a CC, use it. You might need to disable your companions AoE to keep them from breaking the CC though. Make sure the npc (or boss) you use it on doesn't have the boss immunity to cc (stun).

I had your exact problem yesterday. Level 34 assassin, couldn't pass chapter 1 boss. I just noticed that my Khem was under-geared so I went to the fleet, I gave him a earring I was selling on the GTN, crafted new (green level) shield for him, cristals and mods for him and for me, and bought a pair of armor mods from nar shaddaa and alderaan commedation. I went back to the boss and, adding electrocute to the loop "overload->jolt", I beated her easily without stims, even with Khem alive