Best Star Wars scene

Reeny

I can't pick favorites, but these are some of the great scenes:

-when Palpatine tries to flee from Yoda and Yoda jumps in front of him, saying "if so powerful you are, why leave?"

-Large parts of Anakin vs Obi wan duel at Mustafar

-During Yoda Vs Palpatine duel when emperor throws platforms at Yoda and Yoda stops platform and hurls it back at him, followed by Yoda stopping force lightning with his hands and reflecting it back to Palpatine

-Opera scene

-Vader vs Luke in episode 5, possibly all of it

-Opening scene of Episode 4

-and more

How on earth am i supposed to pick favorites? Pre-Disney Star Wars was full of epic moments, even prequels. And unlike sequels or technology limited originals, prequels actually had force users fighting with lightsabers instead of nobodies fighting with steel swords. Lightsaber blade does not have weight, and Force can make jumps and other stuff possibly even realistic part of combat for Force users. Certainly the fast speed is realistic, and i love how Hayden Christennsen and Ewan McGregor fought their duel in real time.

But more important to me is the music, in Disney Star Wars that is nearly entirely missing or muted to nearly non-existent volume, and also style of music was made much less noticable, into something that fades into background far better. And planets are terribly dull and too earth like, something that is forgivable for original movies.

Only Disney era Star Wars moment that seems in any way epic is Darth Vader at end of Rogue One. But even Darth Vader no longer sounds like Darth Vader, and his lightsaber got swapped into steel blade - though with him it makes sense, and if others would be able to move at faster Force user speeds like in prequels, it would make it so much more impressive that Darth Vader can still beat almost anyone in the galaxy. And music is still little missing in that scene.

I really don't like 2010s film/show production trends :( They try to be more realistic but often they fail or at least they d are not (epic)"space operas" like Star Wars is supposed to be. Space operas can be dark, they can be darker than fan favorite Episode 5, and they can also be more realistic. But they really should have music as if name would have something to do with music.

When Obi'wan beats Maul in one move... because he has gone on, learned, and grown when Maul was forever trapped in his past.

If Sith are meant to be the change element (whereas Jedi were meant to be the order element), they really need to get over their own past.

But, much like how our Yin/Yang have elements of the other element in each element, a truth mentioning that each one has a piece of the other in order to continue the cycle, I think the conclusion of the Sith/Jedi doctrinal wars will result in shifting StarWars clean light/order and dark/change symbolism into something like the modern yin/yang.

That fight between Obi'wan and Maul was the beginning of that understanding; Rei might figure it out.

• 2 weeks later...
Best Star wars scene is , for me, the end scene in Rogue one where Vader comes onboard and massacres everyone!

Awesome!

Same here.

When watching this at the theater, I didn't really know what was happening towards the end, or where they were going, perhaps still in awe of the movie in general, but when you see the Rebels from the original movie, you quickly realize what's going on. They're leading right up to the very moment of the opening scene in ANH. I just remember getting goosebumps watching that scene. As mentioned, there are soooo many memorable scenes, it's really hard to pick just one, but I would have to go with that one.

Anakin's "death scene" was so powerful, with Obi-Wan just standing there and watching him burn. "You were the chosen one!" And later Palpatine comes to rescue and gently kneels down next to Anakin's burned boby. You could write essays of that scene, of all the little implications and why the characters ended there. It's magnificent and sad.

• 3 weeks later...

Many, quite many favorite scenes!!

The very best is, during the end of SW:Ep. V; TESB, when Darth Vader tends (it's not just an act of call, it's almost an act of pray) his hand towards his wounded son -revealing to him that he is his father- and then closes his fist, begging him to reconsider and turn to him, calling him son!! The previous scene, the cutting of Luke's arm, a symbolic castration in the best Freudian tradition, is horrible and greatest also, I was really shocked back then: at 1980 I was sixteen years old and I had no idea of symbolic castrations and the real, complete meaning of the Oedipus complex. I couldn't think of the (basically, almost unknown to me) Freudian theories and why I had been so shocked, why I felt that horror...

Next to it, during the same movie, when father and son communicate telepathically, Vader on his flagship and Luke, saved and safe though badly wounded, on the Millennium Falcon; it's pretty clear that their love tends to prevail (in fact: to reveal itself, to become unmasked!!) at this moment, despite their previous intense fight and all the wounds; it's clear that Darth Vader is not his Dark Persona anymore, he is something different ... perhaps he is something in-between Vader and Anakin...

(newest addition: to put it differently, only then -during that telepathic communication- Darth Vader (under painful urge -perhaps horrible despair- and extreme pressure: his son -everything that really values!!- is now fleeing) reveals to us (and himself?) an essential part of himself... No further comments...)

The killing of Darth Maul in SW: Episode I; TPHM, all the scene from Obi-Wan's invention and Darth Maul's frustration until his eventual fall...

I really don't know if I prefer this very scene to the opposite scene: that of Darth Maul's heroic appearance in front of the Jedi (and the detachment of Padme's loyalists) and then his entrance (greek: "eisodos" - είσοδος) into the battle against the two Jedi Knights while he unites the parts of his double light-saber and moves so impressively, bravely, confidently and dangerously!!

Better, way much better; the exodus of Anakin and Padme from the dark chamber of their prison to the Open, fully lit Arena in SW:Ep. II; AotC. It is a gigantic and profound irony that epitomizes one fundamental aspect of George Lucas' philosophy: the small, dark chamber contains the liberation of their love -and their first kiss- because its darkness and isolation is the micro-world of both of them, a false Heaven!!... The hostile Arena -with all the light, the dangers, the various enemies and the wild, blood-thirsty (or indifferent) crowd- is the whole "objective reality", a reality that is -mostly- a representation of the Hell!!

(newest addition: the darkness plus the confinement -but also the happiness, the peace and the safety- of the Arena anti-chamber make a profound, impressive contrast with the light plus the openness -but also the horrors, the hostility and the mortal dangers- of the Arena, hence the -so called, I think- tragic irony, one that it's not just quite remarkable, it is of fundamental importance!!... In "our" case, its horrible and immense repercussions will become a real, measurable fact during the events of the next movie of that Trilogy, SW:Ep. III, RotS - Revenge of the Sith... By the way, the aforementioned tragic irony runs not only into the time but, here-thanks to George Lucas, into the space also!! A greatest artistic achievement!!...)

There are also a few great scenes in SW:Ep. IX; RoS!! I prefer the following:

the moment of the triangular interaction between Ben, Rey and Leia; it shows, among other important issues, the possibility of a small (...) distance between good and evil!! Hence it's the moment of relief, when both Rey and Ben make -due to Leia's "interpolation" and sacrifice- the desired choice!!

Edited by cunctatorg