Galactic Command - Tier 4 and More

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

As many of you saw from our social media post over the weekend, we are going to be adding Tier 4 gear and another 100 Command Ranks to Galactic Command in Game Update 5.2. I wanted to let you know that there is quite a bit more to it than just another Tier! Here are some other notes:

• Tier 4 Command Crates are going to work a bit differently than Tier 1-3. You will much more consistently get set bonus gear in this Tier.
  • We are making adjustments to Tier 1-3 as well to make that leveling/gearing experience better. We want to make sure it feels rewarding to get higher in Command Rank/Tier.
  • There are other gearing related changes coming based on your feedback such as adjustments to boss drops in Operations.

Hold tight! We know that you have a lot of questions about why we are doing a new Tier and more Command Ranks. We have forum posts coming this week with a detailed breakdown of all that is coming and changing in 5.2.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...you guys need to seriously work on your communication.

Just throwing out a "Oh hai! More grind!" twitter post on a Sunday without any further information is not the way to do it, especially not when considering how touchy the Galactic Command topic continues to be.

Strive to offer solid information your players first, then bait the rest of the world.

Ciao, Aronis!

Good to hear you adress some concerns eric. As someone who likes galactic command because it brings back incentives to the game, i just wonder why you dont answer all the hate with stastics. According to leaderboards, ranked games are in a much better place than theyve been before due to the incentives provided by galactic command :)

There are other gearing related changes coming based on your feedback such as adjustments to boss drops in Operations

-eric

I never log in from work (because one-time password annoys me), but I felt compelled to log in today to say thanks for this. I'll hold off on gushing over this change until I know more, but at least it's on your mind. Pretty frustrating trying to hold a regular raid group together when only 2-4 people ever get anything each week...

This is reassuring on the face of it. But, based on past experience, I'll hold my hopes in check until I see it on production servers.

On a related note, I'm wondering about the conversion costs between Tier 3 and Tier 4 equipment in terms of unassembled components. Tier 2 to Tier 3 is already approximately 3,000 components (where as the limit on storage is an unnecessarily paltry 1,000.)

Hey folks,

As many of you saw from our social media post over the weekend, we are going to be adding Tier 4 gear and another 100 Command Ranks to Galactic Command in Game Update 5.2. I wanted to let you know that there is quite a bit more to it than just another Tier! Here are some other notes:

• Tier 4 Command Crates are going to work a bit differently than Tier 1-3. You will much more consistently get set bonus gear in this Tier.
  • We are making adjustments to Tier 1-3 as well to make that leveling/gearing experience better. We want to make sure it feels rewarding to get higher in Command Rank/Tier.
  • There are other gearing related changes coming based on your feedback such as adjustments to boss drops in Operations.

Hold tight! We know that you have a lot of questions about why we are doing a new Tier and more Command Ranks. We have forum posts coming this week with a detailed breakdown of all that is coming and changing in 5.2.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

Too little, too late.

Hey folks,

......There are other gearing related changes coming based on your feedback such as adjustments to boss drops in Operations.

How about other PVE activities?

1. What about gear drops from Master Flashpoint Bosses?

2. Restoring Gear Vendors for Eternal Champtionship?

3. Getting Components for Veteran/Master Chapters and Uprsings?

This result is a self-fulfilling event in my view. So many players drank the GC KoolAid and went binging through GC levels that the analytics tell the studio the system works, is actively being applied by a lot of players, and encourages the studio to keep on keeping on.

* Make PvP all about skill, and remove gear completely from the power curve of PvP. PvP players want to... PvP.. not chase gear. Sure.. some are gear chasers.. but that is to try to get an edge on other PvPers through gear. REMOVE gear from the equation in PvP.. period.

* Make PvE reward GC in a balanced manner to time and risk required, so that players do not feel compelled to play what pays best, but rather what they like to play.

* Make the vendors work based upon Command Tokens only, and drop the second grind of PvP and OPs for yet another token dependency.

* Install a "Trade-in Vendor" where a player that is staring at yet another belt or gloves, or whatever drop can turn said item in to the vendor in exchange for an slot item they do not yet have. We already know you know how to make Trade-in Vendors.

>>> Unless/until the above steps are made.... /boycott-GC as any focus of your attention as a player. Only by boycotting the system can you encourage the studio to change the system. You have other alternatives for gear. If the studio saw players working the other alternatives and ignoring GC.. they might be motivated to shift their direction.

Edited by Andryah

Hey folks,

Thanks everyone.

-eric

So, no adjustments to current Command Crate drops until 5.2?

Tier 4 Command Crates are going to work a bit differently than Tier 1-3. You will much more consistently get set bonus gear in this Tier.

Nice.

There are other gearing related changes coming based on your feedback such as adjustments to boss drops in Operations.

Very nice.

We are making adjustments to Tier 1-3 as well to make that leveling/gearing experience better. We want to make sure it feels rewarding to get higher in Command Rank/Tier.

While it should be more rewarding to get higher in rank, it should also be rewarding to play your alts outside of command ranks. Right now you're addressing it for PvP, but i'm not sure the changes to dailies/weeklies in PvE would be enough. Keep in mind that the more rewards your main brings, the better it is to play your main instead of your alt. If you buff the rewards for mains while leaving alts behind, people will stop playing alts.

Edited by Eli_Porter

No comment on the additional grind.

But I'd love to hear what your plans are for new players who haven't reached 300 or who'll start the game after 5.2. How can they catch up without the 350% boost?

And I'm wondering what your long-term plans for GC are, like how will you handle a level cap increase?

Grinding to 300 was a nice distraction once, but if this becomes a regular thing, there's not much motivation to continue playing the game.

This seriously undermines the little bit of goodwill you have been building with the recent changes. This grind is demoralizing and kills the little motivation I have to play these days. The thought of grinding 100 new levels when I am not even half of the current max makes me want to vomit. Edited by kvandertulip

So, no adjustments to current Command Crate drops until 5.2?

Not till after the 350% boost is gone.

Can't have you getting a relatively decent chance at good gear so fast now can they?

By the time they make a change to T1-3, the boost will be gone and you will be back to the massive slow grind of GC.

That is the trap and goal bw wants to make sure you are stuck in. Sure you could craft but thats really expensive and the mats are a bit harder to get. Sure you could PVP but you have to like that kind of content and PVP isn't for everyone.

GC was made to catch everyone in it's claw so you could do any content and get gear. bw just forgot to make it fun or entertaining as well as had it infected with RNG crates. A nearly universal disliked GC grind mechanic and bw adds 100 more levels to it under the guise they are going to make it better to get gear.

Anyone want to bet it gets a similar adjustment that PVP unassembled drops got? A change so small you'll have to carefully examine the numbers to see if it really changed at all.

Edited by Quraswren

Hey folks,

• [*]Tier 4 Command Crates are going to work a bit differently than Tier 1-3. You will much more consistently get set bonus gear in this Tier.

[*]We are making adjustments to Tier 1-3 as well to make that leveling/gearing experience better. We want to make sure it feels rewarding to get higher in Command Rank/Tier.

Concerning pvp : I don't want higher command ranks to "feel" more rewarding, I want a set target for gear I can conceivably and deterministically reach, and a level playing field. I want to be able to gear my alts to max within a reasonable time, and to be able to switch disciplines if I want to, also within a reasonable time. This was one of swtor's greatest strengths, and you've effectively negated it completely. I think I'm not alone in this.

For pve, I have no informed opinion, but I still think they should be separate, as in 4.0.

I'm still invested in this, and want to see answers and further developments, but I'm losing interest fast. I think I'm not alone in this also. For now you still get reactions and a discussion going even if negative, but I feel soon you may not.

We know that you have a lot of questions about why we are doing a new Tier and more Command Ranks.

Do we? I for once think it's because you dont have any new content outside of Iokath stuff, so you are extending the greed to keep people playing.

Good luck with that, I stopped logging in game after I got full 230 and CR 50 and have no intention of grinding 50 levels to tier 2, yet alone your new tier 4.:p

Edited by Gelious

Not till after the 350% boost is gone.

Can't have you getting a relatively decent chance at good gear so fast now can they?

By the time they make a change to T1-3, the boost will be gone and you will be back to the massive slow grind of GC.

*snip

They will have to do something to reduce the 1-300 grind after 5.2, like reducing CXP required per level or something like that, or else a built-in boost that only applies to earlier Tiers of GC (maybe that's why they changed all boosts to be additive rather than multiplicative?). If they don't, I agree, new players will be completely demoralized without the CXP boost we currently have.

I'm done. Not re-subbing until they get it done right. I'm not paying to be their beta-tester.

This actually crossed my mind once BW started making multiple modifications rather than just chucking GC out the window. I wondered if the end result of GC is going to be a gearing system that BW or EA will ultimately use in a different game.

Edited by Edyn

Hey folks,

Thanks everyone.

-eric

Why not just change the gearing system back to pre-5.0? It seems like you guys are trying to make it as much as the old gearing system but adding tier crates to it to even make scrubs get end-game gear easily, just from the crates. So basically BioWare is going to revert to all bosses dropping guarantee unassembled pieces while scrubs who will never enter a Operation get the same pieces from crates. People should earn their gear, not given to them in free handouts like some liberal scumbag.