Refusing a marriage proposal..

SubstanceKaon

Have any of you gotten far enough into the romance sub-plot with a companion to the point where a marriage proposal was on the table, and then refused?

I'm not talking flat out spite; pure hatred-fueled rejection, I'm referring to the option where you tell your romantic interest that you're not ready for that step yet.

Possible spoilers regarding Bounty Hunter/Smuggler romances:

I pursued an interest in Torian, and while I have made great use of him in the field, I feel like we've had very little interaction otherwise. If I recall correctly, there were about 2 conversations between the time he showed a serious interest in my bounty hunter, and when he got down on one knee and popped the question. I understand that time restraints, effort requirements and developer issues attribute to less content than most would consider optimal with a character sub-plot; that's not my issue, but I bring it up for a reason.

It simply felt silly to accept his marriage proposal. It feels like I hardly know him.

I had the same encounter during the smuggler story-line where Corso made his feelings known, but then I thought his proposal had to be a jest; we hadn't even left Tatooine and already he wanted to marry me?

What I'm wondering is whether or not anyone (kindly) refused the proposal when the option came up, and if so, what sort of conversations did you have with that companion afterwards? Torian offered no affection loss when I told him I wasn't ready, but I've yet to finalize that decision as I'm unaware whether or not that would wholly terminate the relationship.

Edited by SubstanceKaon

For all the companions the marriage conversation is either last or second to last, there might be one where its third to last... and the decision on whether you marry or not does not change the number of remaining conversations... it only has the potential to change the content of future conversations.

*dark side option* torian proposes

char player laughs in torians face and tell's him not in a million years

lol

but ya i do get what you were saying about the lack of any real action with him

there no real way to know much about them except the slim details they tell you

i just say what ever and get hitched then cheat on them any ways with some 1 else lol

Yea, I completely agree. I redid my romance conversations like 100x with Kaliyo and Temple. I still regret going with Temple, and my kinda hate that my character ended up getting married with her so early.

I mean it just doesn't feel right to give us this option so early, I mean I know the characters couldn't make it "official" but still, it just felt off... All I am saying is their is a reason most shows have characters get married only after they have pretty much done everything possible that they can with the relationship, break up, get back together, cheat on each other, kill for each other, pine over a love they think they can't get back... etc.

Personally I feel like with my bounty hunter they at least made me wait till the end of chapter 2 to get with Mako, and I am not so sure I want to get married with the character if the romantic relationship took this long just to get started.

Yeah I figured the marriage conversation would be one of the last ones, which is why I'm still at a considerable loss regarding whether or not to put off accepting the proposal. I'd love to know whether or not refusing opens up another marriage conversation later on, whether you're S.O.L. or whether nothing happens at all.

I guess if this is in fact one of the final conversations with the companion I'll put it off until such a time as there is more follow-up content released.

*dark side option* torian proposes

char player laughs in torians face and tell's him not in a million years

Hahaha, I'm debating doing that to Quinn on my sith warrior. Playing dark side has some humerous advantages.

I have to admit I can understand saving the romance with the companion till the end of the story, but the marriage should have come later in the games life, I mean it just seems a bit rushed the game just started and I now have the biggest baddest bounty hunter in the galaxy and I'm married....

• 2 weeks later...
I wholeheartedly agree! I am a female alien sith inquisitor who has gotten andronikos up to 9000 affection at lvl 40. Now he wants to get married! *** he's a pirate. Also I havnt gotten my last companion yet who is also an Alien... what If I get married and ruin any potential romance with y new companion... It sux. I would kinda like to refuse him and keep up the romantic fling, is that possible?

Well for what it's worth, I didn't pursue marriage with Ensign Temple. I didn't outright reject her - she asked me where I saw myself in 5, 10, 50 years. I had the option of saying "I'd like to be married" and moving it forward that way, but I said something else, like..."It depends where the job takes me", or something like that. Lost a few hundred affection points with her.

Funny thing is, she still calls me her husband and tells me she loves me. Even after I married Kaliyo. Granted, the Imperial Agent is something of a "mack daddy", but that seems like a bug. I don't think they fully worked out the companion content.

I wholeheartedly agree! I am a female alien sith inquisitor who has gotten andronikos up to 9000 affection at lvl 40. Now he wants to get married! *** he's a pirate. Also I havnt gotten my last companion yet who is also an Alien... what If I get married and ruin any potential romance with y new companion... It sux. I would kinda like to refuse him and keep up the romantic fling, is that possible?

Hey, in relationships, sometimes the other person wants to take the realtionship further. That's realism. Now what realism is doing in a game on the other hand...:)

I'll save you the headache, your last companion is not romancable at all.

I got my affection up to 9000ish with Torian and after a few flirty words and no real romance he asked me to marry him. took the I'm not ready but I still love you option seeing how it all just kinda came up so fast. Then I worked it up past 10000 I even dropped everything and saved him from crazy kidnappers hoping he might ask me again. I was kinda sad to find out that, that's it there will never be another proposal from him again or any kinda romance. I really don't see how we couldn't keep romancing for a little longer before marriage came up it just all seemed so fast and now it won't ever happen. I really hope when the expansion comes out theirs another option for those that thought things moved a little to fast and are finally ready to settle down after a few years. I'm mean jesh I dated my real life husband for 10 years before we got married.

In comparison, romancing Mako (first BH companion) feels much more realistic as you have the opportunity to flirt with her many, many times, and by the time you do get married you've essentially spent the entire game getting to know her and finishing her quest.

• 3 weeks later...

My friend romanced Risha with a male Smuggler - He avoided his opportunity to propose... will put the result in spoiler tags just in case:

Later, Risha pretty much proposed to him. My friend's Smuggler now politely pointed out he's not really marriage material, and would hardly make a good king, anyways. Risha agreed that he was probably right.

With the storyline complete and Risha at max affection, they are still very much in a relationship, not looking at marriage, and Risha is considering maybe not pursuing things on Dubrillion any time soon, either. (A life of crime is more fun.)

I certainly can't speak for all the companion romances, but long story short, yes, in some of them at least the relationship will continue even if you don't go down the marriage route.

Have any of you gotten far enough into the romance sub-plot with a companion to the point where a marriage proposal was on the table, and then refused?

I'm not talking flat out spite; pure hatred-fueled rejection, I'm referring to the option where you tell your romantic interest that you're not ready for that step yet.

I pursued an interest in Torian, and while I have made great use of him in the field, I feel like we've had very little interaction otherwise. If I recall correctly, there were about 2 conversations between the time he showed a serious interest in my bounty hunter, and when he got down on one knee and popped the question. I understand that time restraints, effort requirements and developer issues attribute to less content than most would consider optimal with a character sub-plot; that's not my issue, but I bring it up for a reason.

It simply felt silly to accept his marriage proposal. It feels like I hardly know him.

I had the same encounter during the smuggler story-line where Corso made his feelings known, but then I thought his proposal had to be a jest; we hadn't even left Tatooine and already he wanted to marry me?

What I'm wondering is whether or not anyone (kindly) refused the proposal when the option came up, and if so, what sort of conversations did you have with that companion afterwards? Torian offered no affection loss when I told him I wasn't ready, but I've yet to finalize that decision as I'm unaware whether or not that would wholly terminate the relationship.

Yeah, I was curious about why my companion stopped her advances upon my rejection. I kind of expected to have to work for her attention. If I dont play hard to get... what else will she want to have "easily". So, this is my feedback to Bioware that having frivolous relationships/marriage/etc seems to prevent the possibility of having a solid, long-lasting one.

Down-side is emotional wreck (ie. significant other companion) wrecking the ship while you are off questing with another companion. I suppose BW wants to keep it light and simple. ;)

The Corso conversation you're talking about, he's not really proposing (yet). He's just making his intentions known: He is playing for keeps, and wants to make sure you know that (and I assume he also wants to know if it's even a remote possibility). Corso has no idea how to play it cool. It's part of why I don't actually like him.

I turned down Lt. Iresso's proposal, he seemed to understand. We're still a THING, it seems, I had sort of expected to break up. But nope!

• 2 weeks later...
On my Sith Warrior, I let Quinn propose but chose the "But I like things the way they are." option to which he has a shocked silence then "Back to my duties then I suppose." There was one last quest afterwards where I told him I want him to father my children (I forget the other 2 options). His reaction was pretty neutral...something along the lines that he'll do his duty. Strangely I had the last quest for Broonmark at the same time and thought it was funny when he says he'll help train my children. :p Edited by Tarakona

I accepted Elara dornes proposal.

Strangely enough I turned down proposals on both my 50's. Quinn I was rather angry at still, and no, he never asked again, and the romance is not continuing (although I could tell him to father my children).

On my trooper, I gently turned down Aric saying that I wasn't the settling down sort. Lost affection, but he said he didn't want to push me into something I wasn't ready for. We still do have a romance because the next conversation asked about adopting children and he's been sending me love letters. There is no further proposal though.

Nah, Khem's not romanceable -none of the "really" alien aliens are. (so twi'leks and cathars and torugans oh my, are good to go). If they don't speak basic they don't speak flirt, possibly :p

I turned down Kaliyo, which seemed to go ok. She sent me letters and presents and everything. Of course, then I picked someone else, which seemed to piss her off a bit ;)

• 2 months later...
I accepted Elara dornes proposal.

I rejected it...

then the VERY NEXT quest was to save 300+ soldiers on A77, Jaxo (who was also being flirted with) as well. Had to choose. Save Jaxo or the 300+. Saved the 300 and Jaxo died.

Gotta love how things turned out. Don't mind at all, just havin fun anyway :)

Edited by GENCookie
left word out

I know that with Corso, after you accept his propoal you can either perform your own marriage or decide to wait and just stay engaged indefinitely. Or you can pick the one I did where it's basically inconclusive and I have no clue whether I married him or not...