Kao Cen Darach - The Zabrak Jedi from the Return Trailer

Sinigual

For some reason I really, really liked the little I saw of him... from the stoic, calm manner and how he seemed to care for Sateele so much to the insane, pure baller status moment 2v1'ing Sith with a single AND dual lightsaber.

Anyone know if there's any media out there with him in it? Books, comic, etc?

Thanks!

I don't know about any back story on the Zabrack Jedi, but that was the baddest *** light saber fight I've ever seen. I watched the cinematic three times in a row, it was so good. When the smuggler pulled his pistols out and wiped out the Imperial squad was pretty good, too. One thing I'll say about the prequel trilogy, the quality of the light saber fights improved a thousand percent over the original trilogy. Edited by Canarys

I don't know about any back story on the Zabrack Jedi, but that was the baddest *** light saber fight I've ever seen. I watched the cinematic three times in a row, it was so good. When the smuggler pulled his pistols out and wiped out the Imperial squad was pretty good, too. One thing I'll say about the prequel trilogy, the quality of the light saber fights improved a thousand percent over the original trilogy.

I agree... even if the original trilogy's lightsaber fights had more emotion behind them (MAYBE the hour long final duel in Revenge of the Sith had a lot of emotion... but it was so long!) ... the choreography in the new ones was amazing and I'm glad they kept getting better and better.

But ah well... hopefully one day there will be a book for him... I personally feel he deserves his story told up to his heroic death.

Thanks for giving me his name :D

YEh I agree that he is one of the coolest Jedi I've seen even though you see so little of him. I love the bit in the trailer where he stabs Vindican... so elegantly and doesn't even look to check if he's down, he just looks so ******.

Edited by KeatoHarrolo

I agree... even if the original trilogy's lightsaber fights had more emotion behind them (MAYBE the hour long final duel in Revenge of the Sith had a lot of emotion... but it was so long!) ... the

The duels in the OT were so good precisely because of the emotion behind them. At some points in the prequel trilogy, duels looked like a choreographed dance rather than lightsaber fights. The one between Obi Wan and Anakin is especially grievous in this regard.

For me, nothing beats that lightsaber duel in Return of the Jedi.

But back on topic, yes, I would like to see more on this guy, and the young Satele. Was she born into the order? the Revan novel establishes that Bastila's and Revan's son doesn't join the Jedi, so there could be a long period of no Shan in the Order. If she wasn't born into the order, how did they find her? Could be a good story, and I have a feeling that Kao would play a big role in it.

Yeah, the guy was definitely pretty awesome. Shame you can't get tattoos *quite* like him, which I believe is the same pattern shown on the Republic Zabrak-icon.

Also, yeah, dual-wielding the Single and Double-bladed Lightsabers was just insane. Malgus had to go and rip him off, though, and won the fight :(

Best part ever is when he throws his lightsaber to block the fatal blow about to strike his apprentice. I showed the trailer to my father-in-law (who doesn't particularly like Star Wars) and when he saw him take on the 2 sith with the 2 sabers, he said "That's one bad man" haha.

I like watching the saber duels in all the movies as well as SWTOR trailers. I like to think of Star Wars IV-VI as a time when the Jedi were older and slower and I look at prequels as when the Jedi were in their prime. Especially in SWTOR trailer, you can see how much better they were at deflecting bolts at them. The Zabrak spins his saber behind his back and instantly deflects 2 bolts traveling at him, without even looking in the same direction.

As far as the duel between Obi-Won and Anakin... people saying it looked WAY too choreographed... isn't that kind of the point? Obi-Won taught Anakin everything he knew... wouldn't it make sense their fighting styles match perfectly? Still, imho, i think Obi-Won VS. Maul is the best ever (in the movies at least).

Duality is pretty good too, but that one is very fluent, but seems like some of their moves are a little off.

Hah nice to see other people enjoyed seeing Kao Cen as much as I did!

Yes, clearly his abilities with a lightsaber are absolutely ridiculous... and I would love to read or maybe even SEE more of him in that regard, but I also would like to know about his background.

He was SO stoic, unshaken... in the face of such improbable odds.

Lets break it down:

- First time any Jedi openly faced Sith in almost 300 years (from what I understand, the events in that trailer are the first time the Sith Empire return to Korriban in a loooong time)

- He had complete faith in his apprentice (who, sure, turned out to be one bad mama herself... thanks to HIS training!)

- Had to make sure the fight remained contained so the smuggler could prep his ship.

- Had to keep his emotions in check... you see his clear surprise and urgency when he says "The Sith Empire has returned!" ... it's not like he's out doing some simple negotiations, he had to keep his **** together knowing that this was not just some renegade enemy.

That said, it stands to reason that Darth Malgus is a mean sonofabeetch himself... since he DID take him down one on one... but I like to think Malgus was better prepared than Kao Cen heh.

Still... that moment, when Kao gets both lightsabers and goes to work against the two of 'em... good lord. Doesn't get old.

The duels in the OT were so good precisely because of the emotion behind them. At some points in the prequel trilogy, duels looked like a choreographed dance rather than lightsaber fights. The one between Obi Wan and Anakin is especially grievous in this regard.

For me, nothing beats that lightsaber duel in Return of the Jedi.

I strongly disagree. First of all, my favorite duel was Qui-Gonn and Obi Wan vs Darth Maul. I think duels with light sabers have to look like perfect choreographies, it shows the highest skill with the force. It's about tiny details, about slightest hints of tiny mistakes to exploit.

Nonetheless, the old duels are awesome for sure.

I strongly disagree. First of all, my favorite duel was Qui-Gonn and Obi Wan vs Darth Maul. I think duels with light sabers have to look like perfect choreographies, it shows the highest skill with the force. It's about tiny details, about slightest hints of tiny mistakes to exploit.

I have to disagree with your disagreeing.

It is a nicely choreographed fight, dont get me wrong, but jesus christ, pay attention tot hat fight and there are SO MANY times obiwan or quigon could deal a death blow when Mauls blade is very far away from theirs. But instead they kind of back off for a second.

Valid point... With force users being able to "predict" and such, it makes sense that saber duels do look so choreographed.

The darth maul duel is definitely one of my all time favorites as well... Though there's not a lot of attached emotion behind it... Just amazing choreography.

The second time an anakin fights darth tyranus is solid as well

Valid point... With force users being able to "predict" and such, it makes sense that saber duels do look so choreographed.

The darth maul duel is definitely one of my all time favorites as well... Though there's not a lot of attached emotion behind it... Just amazing choreography.

The second time an anakin fights darth tyranus is solid as well

Why do all fights need to have emotion behind them?...

It is a nicely choreographed fight, dont get me wrong, but jesus christ, pay attention tot hat fight and there are SO MANY times obiwan or quigon could deal a death blow when Mauls blade is very far away from theirs. But instead they kind of back off for a second.

Not to geek out too hard here, but that is the first time they've fought a sith... They haven't been around for centuries... Sure, they spar with other Jedi and are versed against droids, aliens, etc... But they hadn't fought a full on force user with intent to kill in that era. Not to mention one with a saber staff (they weren't around for a while from what I understand and didn't come back till the New Jedi Order).

My theory is, using the force, those moments of hesitation were "counter to a counter to a counter" of the famous Jedi "prediction".

*shrug*

Why do all fights need to have emotion behind them?...

Well for me, I tend to be more attached to a struggle when there is some sort of fleshed out personal background behind it.

The final duel in return of the Jedi between Luke and vader was 3 movies deep with all sorts of knowledge from both sides.

In phantom, we just knew maul was evil and obi wan and qui gon were good. That battle's high point is after maul kills qui gonn... When you are now seeing a personal emotion behind the fight...

Don't get me wrong, I still love it all around heh...

Just like the kao cen fight in the trailer got soooo intense when it was just him against the two sith. He made the sacrifice... And you hope he wins even though you know it's almost impossible.

Not to geek out too hard here, but that is the first time they've fought a sith... They haven't been around for centuries... Sure, they spar with other Jedi and are versed against droids, aliens, etc... But they hadn't fought a full on force user with intent to kill in that era. Not to mention one with a saber staff (they weren't around for a while from what I understand and didn't come back till the New Jedi Order).

My theory is, using the force, those moments of hesitation were "counter to a counter to a counter" of the famous Jedi "prediction".

*shrug*

I understand the "logic" behind it, but it very weak logic that doesnt hold up under any scrutiny.

Id go rewatch the fight and link a youtube video with times where a simple thrust would disable, or even kill Darth Maul, but i too lazy.

Well, on one side, I don't remember it well, but I'm stoked to see it in 3D :)

On the other side, I've been doing Kenjutsu (Japanese sword fighting) for a while, which is comparable to light sabres in the way that armor or strength won't really help you and you can't stand many hits, and I learned that it's not always that easy to deal deadly blows without getting exposed too much. It was always like this with the gosh darn wooden swords lol, backing off knowing that you COULD "cut".

I think a good combination is the way to go, especially with Sith, showing emotion. I also loved how Mace Windu fought the Emperor, it was the same, but you could see what the stake was for both of them. I'd love to see Kyle Katarn fighting in a movie or cinematic.

Edited by mirosusan

He is amazing just for dual wielding a double blade and a single blade against 2 opponents, then turning off one side to completely trick them.

He was a freaking ******.

Yeah just watched it again, hadn't noticed this part...f'n awesome!! Love this trailer, its everything a sith/jedi confrontation should be...

Agree, that Zabrak Jedi was a duke...

that fight was pretty epic, although to be fair, in two saber fights Setele was going to get her *** handed to her if she wasn't a.) saved by her masters wicked throw and b.) drew more on force powers and timely intervention of a trooper with a grenade. Kao Cen also deflected force lighting from one sith to the other to limit how many opponents he had to face at once, that was seriously cool also.

my favorite is still the fight at the Jedi Temple, near the end when Malgus gets smacked with a pommel hilt was epic. I felt so bad for that jedi, he never had a chance but still put up a helluva fight.

In the movies, when it was down to just Obi-wan and Darth Maul, there's a brief exchange when OW deflects blows on boths sides of him before severing Maul's staff that was pretty good.

Edited by Wheezal

Kao Cen would take Darth Maul to school.

He took on a Sith Lord AND his Apprentice at once and got one of them.

Darth Maul took on a passive Jedi Master and his padawan, but had to kill Qui Gon completely by himself thanks to the force field doors.

• 2 months later...