Question regarding relics with +damage procs

Fadmotherbucker

Let's look at Campaign Relic of the Cerulean Nova as an example. Says the following:

On Hit: Damaging attacks have a 30% chance to deal 246 additional energy Force damage to the target. This effect can only occur once every 4.5 seconds, and shares this limit with similar damage-dealing effects.

Does this mean the additional damage will only proc for force users only, or that there will be additional force damage to the target when any type of damage is done? I think they could have worded it better.

Let's look at Campaign Relic of the Cerulean Nova as an example. Says the following:

On Hit: Damaging attacks have a 30% chance to deal 246 additional energy Force damage to the target. This effect can only occur once every 4.5 seconds, and shares this limit with similar damage-dealing effects.

Does this mean the additional damage will only proc for force users only, or that there will be additional force damage to the target when any type of damage is done? I think they could have worded it better.

It means that the additional damage dealt has a chance to be a crit hit based on your force crit chance %

OP: I fail to see any issues with how the effect is worded. The "additional energy Force damage" isn't a restriction on what type of damage can cause the effect to trigger; instead, it's telling what type of damage the extra damage you get off of a successful proc is. So if you equip this on a Sniper, and it triggers off of Snipe, you'll get the standard damage that Snipe does, and you'll also get an extra 246 damage. That extra 246 damage is considered Force damage, regardless of what damage type triggered the extra damage, and it doesn't change the original damage type of the triggering attack.

@leto_deon: your response makes no sense to me. Nowhere does anything say anything about basing anything off of anyone's Force Crit Chance.

@leto_deon: your response makes no sense to me. Nowhere does anything say anything about basing anything off of anyone's Force Crit Chance.

He worded it poorly, but he's correct. Since it's a Force attack, it benefits from your Force bonus damage and Force critical chance. Also, if you have a bonus to a certain damage type(internal, elemental, etc.), those bonuses will also apply. So, say, a Vanguard would probably want to use the Tech elemental damage relic, for instance. (Leaving aside that the damage or healing proc relics are vastly inferior to the power or mainstat proc relics.)

Force damage dealt have a chance to crit based of one's force crit chance. If you actually look at parses for damage proc relics you will see crit hits, the size of the crit hit is based of the base damage multiplied by your crit multiplier. As such the damage proc relic gets better as your pri stats, crit rating and surge rating improves (ie getting better gear). In addition, the extra damage that Watchmen Sentinels get from their stacks of Juyo also increase the base size of the damage proc. As such there's a lot that a tooltip doesn't mention.

(Leaving aside that the damage or healing proc relics are vastly inferior to the power or mainstat proc relics.)

At the Arkanian/Underworld/Kell Dragon tiers, the damage proc relics are actually only just behind the power proc relic. A lot of the math that dismisses the damage proc relics, leaves out the part that the procced damage can actually be a crit hit. As a crit hit, the size of the crit hit is based off your crit multiplier. A damage proc is also a hit that is off the global cooldown. Personally I've seen the damage proc direct contribution to DPS to be able to hit ~57dps for a Balance Shadow.

That said, there is a currently a bug with the primary stat proc relic that is causing it the proc to last much longer and much more often. This currently is making it much better than it should be.

Thanks for explaining how the relics work. I'm used to games not telling the whole story in tooltips, but there's a surprising lack of information on such things for this game. As it is, leto_deon, I have to say that you could have worded things better. To me, it sounded like you were saying that the chance to proc in the first place is based on your Force Crit chance, which made no sense to me. Once it was explained that the extra damage could also crit, I understood what you were getting at, but just going by your initial post, I got completely the wrong impression.

To the OP: if I'm understanding this correctly, the relic will work for any class, but it's better off being used by a Force class, as their natural bonuses synergise better with the damage type of the relic.

That sound right, guys?

That's originally what I thought, it is just saying that the additional damage is force damage...however some toolbag in my group was ripping on me for needing it on my sniper. It had double the endurance of a crappy prototype relic I had, and if the bonus damage can proc along with any type of damage, I don't see any problem using it on a sniper... albeit there's better relics out there for a sniper.

That's originally what I thought, it is just saying that the additional damage is force damage...however some toolbag in my group was ripping on me for needing it on my sniper. It had double the endurance of a crappy prototype relic I had, and if the bonus damage can proc along with any type of damage, I don't see any problem using it on a sniper... albeit there's better relics out there for a sniper.

It may not be "best in slot", but an upgrade is an upgrade. He would have had far more reason to complain if you needed on an earpiece with strength.

Just a stupid question : Would a non-Force-user benefit from the Relic the original poster mentioned, too ?

That apart from the fact that it wouldn't make much sense - I'm nothing but curious.

Yes. The damage proc relics basically give you a chance to get a free attack off the global cooldown(kind of like Ataru form). The type of damage the free attack does is determined by the relic, but they all proc from any attack, no matter what type of attack it is. As discussed earlier, talents that improve certain types of attacks(Sentinels' bonus Force crit, for instance) will also improve applicable relic procs, so different relics are better for different classes, but you always at least get the base damage.