1.3 Character specific legacy perks

Iwipe

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the costs and legacy barriers are completely fair dev team. Please, please, please don't listen to the whiners and lazy people.

After buying the all the class XP boosts, I'd like to give my feedback.

Mainly, I was hoping for a bigger boost but after thinking about it for a while, I think it's fair. I read an interview somewhere in which a dev said "yeah, you can only do your class quest if you want" and I imagined like a 300% XP boost. HOWEVER, I realize that his statement CAN be true, but it's just not what I envisioned (and for the record, I am fine with this). If a player buys ALL the XP boosts, then yeah, that player could ONLY do class quests on planets. But, class quests cannot be the only source of experience income. The 30% simply isn't enough (I've tested it on the PTS with lower characters). The player must also dabble in PvP, FPs, exploring, space missions, and perhaps companion quests to compensate for ONLY doing class quests.

While I was slightly disappointed, I realized that this was fair and more feasible for everyone. Legacy perks should NOT grant an insta-50. It is designed to make leveling an alt faster, which it clearly does (maybe not as fast as someone would like but it does). The prices ARE reasonable. Buying them all at once is a little 'ouch', but with the consolidation of the GTNs and higher populations across servers, I believe with confidence that players will see more credits in their inventories.

While I was slightly disappointed, I realized that this was fair and more feasible for everyone. Legacy perks should NOT grant an insta-50. It is designed to make leveling an alt faster, which it clearly does (maybe not as fast as someone would like but it does). The prices ARE reasonable. Buying them all at once is a little 'ouch', but with the consolidation of the GTNs and higher populations across servers, I believe with confidence that players will see more credits in their inventories.

Honestly, what is wrong with someone wanting to reach level 50 by doing nothing but just class quests. It was Bioware's selling point after all, their amazing stories told in cinematic perfection making SWTOR like playing KOTOR 3-9.

After doing the side quests from starter planets to Ilum multiple times on both factions I can honestly say that I am sick and tired of doing them. If I do choose to purchase all the quest xp boost perks through my rich and impressive Legacy, I would hope it would give me the needed boost to skip the weakest glaring part of this game, the repetition.

I like the class stories, it is these type of stories that attracted me to Kotor1 and 2 and is what also made me so blindly hopeful for SWTOR. I played Kotor 1 and 2 repeatedly with many many alts and completed the story in every possible way. I would like to do the same in SWTOR but the mindless grind that is the side quests makes me want to puke.

Level 50 means nothing to some people in this game, to those of use who play for the story, the game ends at 50 not starts.

What happened to Celerity?

It was the only one that seemed to be worth getting unless rerolling outside of possibly a few of the companion ones though that depends if your a crafter or haven't already gotten to max affection (or as far as you want to go) and to be honest 5% or even 15% isn't going to change a great deal.

Why was the one legacy power that would make a difference to character level 1 to 50 and beyond removed for a priority transport that has a cool down of 9 hours?

I think the costs and legacy barriers are completely fair dev team. Please, please, please don't listen to the whiners and lazy people.

After buying the all the class XP boosts, I'd like to give my feedback.

Mainly, I was hoping for a bigger boost but after thinking about it for a while, I think it's fair. I read an interview somewhere in which a dev said "yeah, you can only do your class quest if you want" and I imagined like a 300% XP boost. HOWEVER, I realize that his statement CAN be true, but it's just not what I envisioned (and for the record, I am fine with this). If a player buys ALL the XP boosts, then yeah, that player could ONLY do class quests on planets. But, class quests cannot be the only source of experience income. The 30% simply isn't enough (I've tested it on the PTS with lower characters). The player must also dabble in PvP, FPs, exploring, space missions, and perhaps companion quests to compensate for ONLY doing class quests.

Look, it's OK to hate the system, it really is. There is no One True Way the Legacy system had to be designed and don't let any game designer, real or armchair, tell you otherwise.

For example, Legacy could have worked like character skill trees work, where you can choose which perks you want to turn on for your current character by moving legacy points around. And a credit sink could be added so that you can reduce the legacy point cost of some perk for all your characters. Now, imagine the nice surprise of logging into an alt you haven't played in a while and seeing "You have 25 unassigned Legacy Points" appear on your screen, then going into the Legacy screen and picking the perks you think would be fun to have on this alt.

The current system works well for some people, but because it can never be perfect for everyone, there's always room for improvement.

Overall, I'm not crazy about the character specific legacy perks as is on PTS.

Legacy of Altruism - is a complete waste of time as it is. For 250k I can increase my affection gain through gifts on one character by 15%. I don't think this one is even close to worth it. For 250k I'd personally be looking at a legacy wide buff for this kind of benefit.

Legacy of Persuasion - Again, not even close. It's just not worth it.

Legacy of Craftng - This one is much more in line with what I'd expect from character specific perks. There's not many places you can gain crafting crit, putting the stat at a premium. It's not something that can be overcome with time like the companion perks, adding to its value. I'll be picking this one up on most of my characters when it goes live.

Legacy of Leadership - This one's kind of crap. That said, it's also pretty cheap so I don't have a problem with it. I'll probably grab it just to light the boxes up on my legacy window, but I can't remember the last time I sent my companion to sell.

Field Repair Droid - These are good, I'll be picking these up on my main. Not much to say about them really, probably won't see a tonne of use but when you wish you had one, well, you wish you had one.

Field Mail Droid - Pretty useless, mailboxes are everywhere, but thankfully it's nice and cheap so I'll buy this.

Field Respec - Just plain handy. Will get this, no complaints about this one, other than it not being accompanied by dual/multi spec :)

Priority Travel - The prices on these are fine except for Black Hole which I feel is a little excessive. I also don't think that any of these priority travels should share a cooldown (care to share your design philosophy on that, by the way? Seems an unnecessary annoyance) and that the cooldown should be much, much lower. We're not talking gamebreaking stuff here - these abilities remove the need to go through load screen after load screen to get to where you want to be, that's quality of life and something everybody should have access to. These artificial restraints aren't making the legacy system or the game any more fun.

XP Boosters - These are kind of all over the place. I can't see myself blowing 275k on any of these perks as they are right now (though I would if they were actually legacy wide). 30% extra XP isn't the same in all cases. For example, the gain from 30% extra exploration XP is miniscule, yet it costs the same as 30% FP XP which is potentially excellent.

One of the things I personally wanted from the legacy system was the ability to see the other class stories without having to repeat content - something that the class quest XP boost perk could have provided, were the buff 500% (or whatever percentage brought it in line with doing all the world arcs that accompany the class quests). I'm not an alt guy - SWTOR is the first game I've rolled an alt in and while I really do want to see all the class stories, I don't find the leveling itself much fun past the first character. But "play how you want" is kind of misleading how the perks are set up right now, because I won't be able to play how I want.

Overall, however, I think the biggest thing that's stopped me getting excited about the character perks system so far is that the costs are so high when you're talking about just one character. I've never had a problem with the high cost of the legacy perks (and I have them all) because I knew that once I bought them, I'd see the benefits for the rest of my time playing the game. With this, and given the fact that I only really want to play alts for the story alone at this point (and don't really want to spend potentially millions of credits on them), it's just a total "meh".

Honestly, what is wrong with someone wanting to reach level 50 by doing nothing but just class quests. It was Bioware's selling point after all, their amazing stories told in cinematic perfection making SWTOR like playing KOTOR 3-9.

The intention of my post was to inform other players that the XP boosts might not be what they expect and perhaps save some people some credits and frustration. The second half was aimed toward the BW peeps that read these forums looking for player feedback, which I presented.

Look, it's OK to hate the system, it really is.

But I don't. As I've said, I honestly think it's fair. :)

Overall, I'm not crazy about the character specific legacy perks as is on PTS.

Legacy of Altruism - is a complete waste of time as it is. For 250k I can increase my affection gain through gifts on one character by 15%. I don't think this one is even close to worth it. For 250k I'd personally be looking at a legacy wide buff for this kind of benefit.

Legacy of Persuasion - Again, not even close. It's just not worth it.

Legacy of Craftng - This one is much more in line with what I'd expect from character specific perks. There's not many places you can gain crafting crit, putting the stat at a premium. It's not something that can be overcome with time like the companion perks, adding to its value. I'll be picking this one up on most of my characters when it goes live.

Legacy of Leadership - This one's kind of crap. That said, it's also pretty cheap so I don't have a problem with it. I'll probably grab it just to light the boxes up on my legacy window, but I can't remember the last time I sent my companion to sell.

Field Repair Droid - These are good, I'll be picking these up on my main. Not much to say about them really, probably won't see a tonne of use but when you wish you had one, well, you wish you had one.

Field Mail Droid - Pretty useless, mailboxes are everywhere, but thankfully it's nice and cheap so I'll buy this.

Field Respec - Just plain handy. Will get this, no complaints about this one, other than it not being accompanied by dual/multi spec :)

Priority Travel - The prices on these are fine except for Black Hole which I feel is a little excessive. I also don't think that any of these priority travels should share a cooldown (care to share your design philosophy on that, by the way? Seems an unnecessary annoyance) and that the cooldown should be much, much lower. We're not talking gamebreaking stuff here - these abilities remove the need to go through load screen after load screen to get to where you want to be, that's quality of life and something everybody should have access to. These artificial restraints aren't making the legacy system or the game any more fun.

XP Boosters - These are kind of all over the place. I can't see myself blowing 275k on any of these perks as they are right now (though I would if they were actually legacy wide). 30% extra XP isn't the same in all cases. For example, the gain from 30% extra exploration XP is miniscule, yet it costs the same as 30% FP XP which is potentially excellent.

One of the things I personally wanted from the legacy system was the ability to see the other class stories without having to repeat content - something that the class quest XP boost perk could have provided, were the buff 500% (or whatever percentage brought it in line with doing all the world arcs that accompany the class quests). I'm not an alt guy - SWTOR is the first game I've rolled an alt in and while I really do want to see all the class stories, I don't find the leveling itself much fun past the first character. But "play how you want" is kind of misleading how the perks are set up right now, because I won't be able to play how I want.

Overall, however, I think the biggest thing that's stopped me getting excited about the character perks system so far is that the costs are so high when you're talking about just one character. I've never had a problem with the high cost of the legacy perks (and I have them all) because I knew that once I bought them, I'd see the benefits for the rest of my time playing the game. With this, and given the fact that I only really want to play alts for the story alone at this point (and don't really want to spend potentially millions of credits on them), it's just a total "meh".

This. Almost exactly for me.

The only thing I can foresee myself getting is the advanced speeder I training and maybe the field droids. The rest, to me personally, are negligible bonuses. I have 5 level 50 and 3 non-level 50 characters on my server, and have already reached legacy level 50.

Unlike some, I don't have hundreds of millions of credits to just toss away on money sinks. These "Legacy Perks" aren't legacy related other than they require a certain legacy level to get. They should be listed as "Player Perks." Give those of us that have reached legacy level 50 a substantial discount to these purchases. That would make it more in line with being a "Legacy Perk." Just my opinion.

Overall I do like these perks. But I have a couple issues. The perks that apply to low level chars frankly cost too much as they are expected to be bought by characters that are low level and getting those amounts is only possible if a high level character is funding them. That being said perks such as the reduced mount cost and the increased xp ones make absolutely no sense that they are per char. If you intend to keep the current cost then they need to be made account wide other wise their usefulness will be absolutely zero. If you insist on making the mistake of not making them account wide then their cost needs to be reduced to the point that a char going to use them will be able to afford them, all of them. Well that just a couple thoughts that I had on it, i will probably provide more feed back after there are some responses and clarification from official sources on this topic.

If its LEGACY then it should be ACCOUNT WIDE. Paying for each character is a complete 180 from what the whole legacy "Features" and theme is being pushed by BW and via marketing as well. Come look at this cool "Legacy Feature" that is shared amongst all your characters. Except the perks you have to pay separately per character so we don't really mean what we say here. (See my point?).

Constructive Feedback:

- Keep the same COST and make it account wide for all those features. Problem SOLVED...

- Legacy is ALL your Characters (Why have it breakdown by each) - yes, I know MMO 1.01 is get more $$ outta economy.

- Cool downs shouldn't be shared, that's really sad if we have to pay for them separately and then wait for them collectively. Sell as a package if you plan on keeping that silly configuration of Sharing cooldown cycles.

I will purchase a few (2-3) of these perks as most will not benefit my characters that I play the most. I'll check mail at one of many locations and repair as needed. Add CRIT to my primary that has all the gathering and crafting that is my most profitable only.

I agree, if it's not account wide perks its really not Legacy I still think that the prices are steep even if account wide. I'm kind of sick of the the grind, same thing over and over for credits, tokens or whatever. But if I had to choose, make account wide and keep prices. And legacy levels are high, my alts would be 50 by the time I hit legacy 25 so there would be no real perk for me, max should be 10-15 maybe. If the point to legacy is to keep me engaged in the game with alts, 1.3 isn't going to cut it. My goal is to get them level 50 ASAP, without having to do all the grind I did with my first toon so that I can use them for post game content. As of now, I'll do my daily black hole and PvP with my 50 and then I'm logged off in an hour and half if that. Edited by rnmedic

Yeah I have 2 lvl 50's, one of which I have been using 2-4 hours a day doing PVP and Black Hole - Ilum Dailies, and I am only at Legacy 21, now I gimped myself a little by a. rerolling my main like 3x (for stuipid reasons like I didnt like his name or skin) so it took me a long time to actually start accruing legacy xp and b. I pvp a lot so I am always over leveled on my class quests (meaning until the 50 dailies the ONLY legacy xp I earn is from PVP)

All that to say, I am a dude who has played this game between 1-3 hours a day and 4-6 on weekends pretty much EVERY day since launch. I feel like I should be a lot higher in Legacy. Maybe if they just made so legacy xp never gets nerfed i.e. you get normal legacy xp for killing gray mobs, even if you get no actual xp.

I dunno. I am pretty casual and play a couple hours a day at most, and I am almost to lvl 35 legacy. I have 2 toons that i play and both are 50, but the rest are under level 10. I do try and do ilum and bh dailies, but I usually just skip balmoora, so it isn't like I grind the legacy xp.

I think the legacy level requirement is fine, but the costs of the perks are way too much. I can see perks like ship upgrades, the rocket sprint and crafting bonuses costing something, but most of the other stuff should be free given the legacy level required to open them.

[XP legacy perks]

There's one major feature missing from it's the ability to slow down or even stop XP gain.

If we do space missions and PvP then we'll end out leveling classes quest arcs. As such we need a way to better manage our XP gain. Otherwise doing the story content isn't fun as there's no challenge at all.

[LS / DS gains]

Another missing entry is a way to increase LS/DS gains.

Again if we do level a character more through PvP/Space missions we end with sub-optimal LS/DS points, thus requesting players to take the diplomacy crew skill and drop one of theirs. So we need a way to increase or get LS/DS points without going into dipliomacy.

[Improved Warzone Experience]

Welcome feature still for someone mostly leveling through it, it's missing 2 major things.

1. Credits gain in par with PvE
  2. Gear rewards in par with PvE

Doing credit in PvP is a wet dream. Either we have a suggar daddy or it will be really painful to be able to buy anything out of it be it gear, crafting mats or worse legacy perks.

Then gear wise not only we only get green items but they aren't either well spread trough the leveling process. Leaving players in subpart gear most of the time. Worst being at low level.

=> Needed more credits doing PvP, and I mean much much more. And then totally redo gear rewards in PvP , be it with tokens or dropped from players or chests.

[Mail box / Repair vendor]

Might be funny but the mail vendor looks more like a repair one and resp. the repair a mail box. (At least on Republic characters did not try on the Empire)

=> I'd suggest to switch both.

Then I summoned the repair droid, opened the trade window and after like 30 secs of browsing in my inventory to sort the mess and know what I wanted to sell it disappeared WTH :confused:?

=> Please increase the buffer as then I had to wait 1h before summoning it while I did not even had the time to use it.

[Travel Perks]

Cool downs are insane.

Then it's missing the most important perk: shuttle back space ship.

You added GTN, Mail boxes, training dummies and repair droids in space ships. Most of them we pass next to them while going to our space ship.

=> Add recall back to space ship.

[Legacy leadership I & II]

Design wise, not sure it's a good idea to go down to a 10 or even 5 sec timer on selling junk, even more so soon in the time frame of the game, so soon after launch.

First it kind of break immersion being able to sell stuff so fast.

Then it does not leaves room from improvement unless maybe instant sell.

Then either make it instant or longer as if we are in combat the companion when the companion gets back we still have to recall it = one more annoying button click that should be automated.

Also it's still missing sell junk button at merchant.

BTW putting it on a 5 sec timer makes grey item feel even more like here to have messy inventory. At this point maybe just ditch them totally and have mobs drop credit instead.

Here's a rought draft of what you could have done:

Sell junk = 15 min timer by default

Your active companion needs 1 min to go back and forth between your location and one of your other character to send him the stuff to sell.

Once back ,one minute later, wish you want it to you can send your active companion again to sell things immediately. It will simply lock another character for 15 minutes on a "sell" mission.

Your credits will be deposed in your account 15m 30s after the button click.

Now with the legacy perks you'll unlock some contacts that'll allow faster selling ie lower the 15 min but yet not the 1 min for sending the companions.

Later on you unlock transportation droids that would allow moving your stuff around and yet keeping your active companion with you but, at first you have an unarmed droid, meaning one of your non active companions will be escorting the droid.

Then you unlock armed droids and can buy secured transportation (think Brink).

Optional: on certain planets/areas: droids and companions can be hijacked.

Back to the actual system:

• Don't go lower 30s and even I'd suggest to totally remove this perk
  • Let players get tools that'll scavenge gray items, mats that can be sold. ie 3 type of mats (so 3 inventory slots) vs plenty gre items ones.
  • Have companions sent out for selling junk be automatically spawned after a combat if they come back during one.
  • Add a sell grey item at vendor
  • Add an automated inventory junk bag
  • Add a vendor price items in the mouse over tooltip of all items.
  • Other possibility have players call another companion to trade/sell grey item.

Well, I disagree a bit with this. I've got a couple of characters that I'm really enjoying leveling the traditional way, and some others where I'm really just leveling them up through warzones. I can see the advantage to having this as a character perk.

With that said, I don't plan to actually purchase any of these in the immediate future for the simple reason that I don't think there's any way to disable the increased XP gain. What if, for example, I get to a point in the game where I actually want to slow down a little and smell the roses? I don't want to be in the position where I have to stop doing the warzones I love just because I don't want to outlevel the content I'm doing.

But that's just me. I think these will be very attractive perks for a lot of people.

I actually agree with your sentiment. I have two lvl 50s already but am really enjoying the under 50 WZs with 3 lowbie alts I have. When the level cap is raised, I will probably want the xp buff on my 50s, but not want the party to end too quickly on my lowbies because of not being able to opt them out somehow, if it was account wide.

My overall feel on looking at this is the costs are too high for single character unlocks. I am also disappointed that the crafting unlock appears to be for augments only as I was hoping for general mission crits so it would help with getting the crit missions to find new schematics.

This brings up something I was wondering about, actually: are they leaving the ability to crit gear w/ augment slots in even though they have the augment kits? Seems implied, but if so, why?

I haven't been able to test the augment stuff because peeps are outta their minds charging 600k+ on the Test Server for the lvl 6 kits. I have to add, that ticked me off they removed all my augments from my gear on my 50 that got ported over, thereby making it impossible for me to accurately gauge the changes they made to my class for 1.3. My character is a biochemist, so I can't make my own, either. :/ Sorry, but no, I don't have enough creds for 600k kits x7 to test their crap for them. Unacceptable.

Edited by BoushhDC

I actually agree with your sentiment. I have two lvl 50s already but am really enjoying the under 50 WZs with 3 lowbie alts I have. When the level cap is raised, I will probably want the xp buff on my 50s, but not want the party to end too quickly on my lowbies because of not being able to opt them out somehow, if it was account wide.

Simple but effective solution: add (per character) XP-"slide control" (hope google gave me the right word) in the optiions, where you can freely adjust your XP per "theme" from 0% till the maximum which you have unlocked from the (then) accountwide perk (so 0-100% without unlock and 0-130% with full unlock). 0% would mean completly XP and level progressing stopp.

Simple but effective solution: add (per character) XP-"slide control" (hope google gave me the right word) in the optiions, where you can freely adjust your XP per "theme" from 0% till the maximum which you have unlocked from the (then) accountwide perk (so 0-100% without unlock and 0-130% with full unlock). 0% would mean completly XP and level progressing stopp.

Sounds good to me. :)

Would actually love that option.

The Affection Gain "perks" are worse than useless. Seriously? 15% affection gain for 250k? That makes it MORE expensive than just buying gifts for your companions the normal way.

EDIT: This will only be somewhat less than terrible if it's made Legacy-wide, the % goes up to AT LEAST 100%, or if it's way, way cheaper than it is now.

for 250k you can buy gifts from vendor to gain afection from 0 to 5000 to about 10 companions, I would never buy such perks. IMO its a rip off joke to say the least.

I believe you still have the pay the normal respec fee. This legacy makes so you don't have to return to fleet so no cool down required.... Thoughts on the cost now??

Of course. This is a given when you get a respec-droid. Naturally.

Two real things I have to say about these:

1) I'd like the option to pay a larger fee to unlock them legacy-wide (as per the suggestion in my signature link). In any case, those seem too expensive for character-specific.

2) What happened to the sprint speed increases (Celerity I and Celerity II)? This was perhaps the biggest upcoming unlock for me, as it would make life in general so much easier, especially for new alts in the future (when we get more than eight character slots).

Kind thoughts

llesna

Edited by llesna