Hardest spec to use in PvP

LastWizard

It isn't sin/shadow, it isn't concealment, full lightning sorc could be considered the hardest but that's only because the spec is clunky and rarely played, same goes for lethality operative. Merc/Commando DPS is not hard to play. Arsenal has a very simple rotation, pyro is pyro :p

This is going to sound cryptic but none of the classes are particularly difficult in themselves. Engineer/saboteur is the only class in the game that doesn't have a rotation per se. I think that makes the class challenging to play effectively. I find it more challenging than my conceal oper or my shadow.

The hardest spec is probably a free 2 player without sprint.

Edited by CharterMonkKent

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everybody! Just another player wondering to about the hardest spec in game to run and be successful in PvP is. I honestly think a full madness assassin or lethatlity operative would be difficult to run. Any ideas on what spec is harder to run in PvP?

To play for the scoreboard or to play to win a warzone? Big difference.

The scoreboard junkies will tell you, Lightning/TK Sorc/Sages.

Those who want to make a meaningful contribution to the team will tell you Arsenal/Gunnery Merc/Commando.

The difference is utility - Sorcs have it, Mercs/Commando don't. I play both in 50 wzs.

Lethality operative because corrosive grenade destroys any chances of using Mez.

Except to me that just proves the spec is fundamentally dysfunctional. At least with other specs (Scrappers!) you can actually plan ahead, deliberately avoiding DOTting an opponent just so you can Flashbang or Stealth/Dart later in the fight.

So whats the easiest then?

I would say Ragers, but they are at least limited to melee range and suffer from a kiting problem against decent opponents. The clear winner has to be Pyrotechs. It just has such an absurdly obvious set of "oh s***!" defensive cooldowns and so-easy-a-monkey-can-do-it offensive cooldowns.

I have a 50 PT that I don't play a lot, but when I do, she still hits like a bus, kites like a butterfly, and tanks like an AT-AT. And that's with many, many fewer hours of experience on her as compared to my Scrapper.

Edited by ktkenshinx

Everyone will tell you Gunnery Commando...

If by hardest, the OP means "least viable to play", I disagree. I can still put up over 400k DPS solo-queuing on my gunnery commando (and thats in combat medic gear because he's a healer 95% of the time) when I decide to fool around on him. I think the hardest spec to play is probably Tank Vanguard. Their dps is more adorable than a box of kittens.

Edited by SOULCASTER

(No hybrids here)

Full lightning sorc

Full leahtilty operative

Full advanced proto type pt's

All these specs are fully viable - just require more skill

I don't play lethatlity operative, but I know guildmates that put up over 1mil dmg in multiple warzones on their X|X|31 Sage/Sorcs and I myself have put up over 500k dps a few times on my Tactice/Adv Proto Vanguard. It isn't difficult honestly. Both those classes/specs are perfectly fine to use honestly. Its just the preference of whether of not you like that playstyle. There are other much much harder classes/builds to play than those.

I don't play lethatlity operative, but I know guildmates that put up over 1mil dmg in multiple warzones on their X|X|31 Sage/Sorcs and I myself have put up over 500k dps a few times on my Tactice/Adv Proto Vanguard. It isn't difficult honestly. Both those classes/specs are perfectly fine to use honestly. Its just the preference of whether of not you like that playstyle. There are other much much harder classes/builds to play than those.

Its about how the damage is done, not how much. Doing high damage in a warzone with full madness ins't hard as long as the enemies aren't dying. I would rather do 400k and know I killed 10 targets then do 900k and know I only kill 2 and "pressured" the enemy team. Just because something can do high damage doesn't mean its viable in the least

when you think about it almost all the specs are just button mashing, taking no real skill or strategy since you're just redoing a rotation you googled up for your class (MMO pvp /lol). Some are "harder" than others to use at peak efficiency (I hear carnage marauders are somewhat difficult. Most operatives I know do backstab right after their opener LOL). Others are just generally crap due to low burst, like Advanced Prototype. I pull off barely 200k on my powertech but my sniper continually pulls off 300k.

Except a well played Shadow/Sin will rape. A well played Merc/Commando still loses to a one armed blind kid with epilepsy playing a Mara/Sent.
Except? Except is a term used when two people arent in full agreement. The post you quoted , which was posted by me on another account, didnt contradict anything in your post, so why the **** would you use "except"?

Lightning Sorc for sure, even harder than gunnery commando.

I've seen both played well but to get the full use out of the Lightning Sorc you really have to know your skills and what to use when different things proc. With easy classes you can just run around like a headless chicken while trying to figure out what button to mash next but the Sorc can only stand there waiting to be attacked or interrupted.

But when you see the rare awesome Lightning Socrceror in action it's amazing!

False, only good players can burst totally undergeared people, but it is not as easy as some believe. You are the first person in this thread to say that Scrapp/Lethality is not broken.

I was telling the scrapper/concealment guy that they are mostly fine.

I also said lethality/dirty fighting ops/scoundrel is terribad.

Edited by Smashbrother

Yeah "hardest" doesn't really apply too well here. The bad classes/specs don't have a steeper learning curve in this game, they're just gimped by bad design.

For instance, despite claims to the contrary you can't make a dps merc good. You can't prevent other people from interrupting your activation time abilities through better play and those specs are too heavily dependant on those abilities to be viable without them. At best you can only lessen your vulnerability to them a little, but generally at the cost of dps which defeats the purpose.

Or another example, you can't make a lethality op good because no matter how you play in the end it's still a melee dps spec (because of resource management) with no real gap closer. The added dependence on dots for both damage and energy only exacerbates the general bad design. The only good use I've seen for this spec is as a healer/dps hybrid.

A hard to use class/spec would be one with a complex playstyle to be truly effective or a weakness that can only be countered through smart play. I haven't seen anything like that in this game, some of the viable ones require more effort than others, but hard isn't the word I would use to describe any of class/spec in this game. Bad, yes. Hard, no.

Vengeance. Mediocre damage and so easy to kite.

Yeah lol, I'll admit if a sorc is smart enough to just force speed away after I leap at them I'm screwed if I don't have force push off cooldown. Any other class can just slow us and run away easily as well. Unremitting is a great ability but I think we rely way too much on leap. I think the solution would be to give us a passive in combat speed bonus or lower the minimum range of leap.

Yeah lol, I'll admit if a sorc is smart enough to just force speed away after I leap at them I'm screwed if I don't have force push off cooldown. Any other class can just slow us and run away easily as well. Unremitting is a great ability but I think we rely way too much on leap. I think the solution would be to give us a passive in combat speed bonus or lower the minimum range of leap.

Remove sunder requirement on Plasma Brand and give it a 30% snare, imo.

Hardest Class to play: Doesn't exist

Everyone has different mindsets and opinions and general skills in the game.

Also depends on how you are playing pvp: to win or to get medals.

Some specs are simply not for pvp.

For Example: I have played a scrapper dps (both trees) and a guardian dps (both trees) in pvp. I hate castbars and so when i played a sniper in pvp, it didnt feel right to wait for the cast bar to finish and then move.

I disliked guardian dps cause it just... didnt make me be careful and think on my feet, it was more "Bonza smash groups!" and that playstyle is boring/not fun. My playstyle favors more the stealth killing and hopeful game changing of scrapper dps. Some players are more attuned to certain playstyles then others. Getting 1v1 kills as a scrapper is easy, but in actual team situations (Node fighting/ 6v6 fights) its difficult with a swishy dps that has to melee (scrapper more swishy then shadows...), but still can be useful and effective.

Dirty Fighting can put up big numbers in pvp, but they are all DOTs so usually they dont actually kill anyone, the spec is not for pvp.

I would say that in ranked WZs, hybrid shadow dps/tanks have the most ability to change a game, so have the highest skillcap just based off of their effect on a WZ. Probably for me seeing a good gunslinger/sniper is the most impressive, especially since they are hard for me to play.

Off-tank sin/shadow.

Why?

Simple, because you have to choose what to do everytime as you're dps + tank + stealth and the issue heavily depends on your choice.

Heal op/scoundrel isn't that far away, as a stealth healer with some decent damage frontload (ugly dps, but dps isn't king anyway).