Which legacy features will be purchaseable?

Kiphere

Just curious.

Specifically the Races. Will they be only unlockable via leveling one to 50 or will the race unlocks be available for credit purchase at launch of 1.2?

In general I'd like ot know what features will be unlockable via credits and which will be exclusively through level/content consumption (fininshing act 1, 2, etc).

I am under the impression that things are unlockable OR purchasable. They mentioned it was like this because not everyone rolls alts, and those players would still need a way to take part in the system.

So, for example, if you level a Chiss to 50, you unlock Chiss for all classes. But if you don't have a level 50 Chiss and want a Chiss Warrior, you'll need the appropriate legacy level and the right amount of credits to purchase the unlock.

Edited by Dezzi

The ability to just pay for items that are earned is horrible. this is just a ridiculous way to ruin this system. First you are giving the credit farmers an avenue to make heaps of cash. Secondly you make a high rank in legacy meaningless if you can just enjoy the perks from buying them.

So I think you should make all pvp gear and raid gear something you can pay for to get? Put that out and see how the population takes it.

The ability to just pay for items that are earned is horrible. this is just a ridiculous way to ruin this system. First you are giving the credit farmers an avenue to make heaps of cash. Secondly you make a high rank in legacy meaningless if you can just enjoy the perks from buying them.

So I think you should make all pvp gear and raid gear something you can pay for to get? Put that out and see how the population takes it.

What so i didn't "earn" the credits i used to buy them. How is farming legacy exp any different than farming credits ?

they will still require w/e legacy lvl to buy them and a person only playing 1 character is going to take alot longer to gain legacy lvls.

Edited by GooseGrims

So i want to buy pvp gear, please implement that at the same time. Also raid gear? Are you for that as well?

buying a cosmetic feature and end game gear are 2 totaly different things.

edit: and technically you can already buy end game pvp and pve gear, go get the token from the raid/gear bag :p

Edited by GooseGrims

So i want to buy pvp gear, please implement that at the same time. Also raid gear? Are you for that as well?

You can buy entry level pvp gear in 1.2. You can already buy BOE rakata gear in 1.2

i'm already bored to *********** **** and back of dailies. can we not have to do boring **** every single *********** day to get **** in this game?

like i mean some *********** variety of **** to do so i don't feel like i'm doing the same two dimensional **** day in and day out wasting my *********** time as i semi afk mind numbingly grind credits and comms wether it's pvp or dailies or raids?

i seriously feel like swtor goes from the great story from 1-50 into basically playing aion suddenly at cap when the story is finished.

So, they fact that extra species are opened up NOT with legacy levels but with leveling random species to 50 is ok?

The most visible reward from the system is not useable by those who wanted to roll an alt UNDER the new legacy system because we were not given the DETAILS of said system. That is ok?

They need to really elaborate and explain how the legacy levels are going to work, especially with reference to new species choices.

I don't like the idea of using credits to buy stuff. It trivializes stuff and cheapens the meaning of those stuff.

An example of that "stuff" would be reputation gains from vanilla WoW. When I first played WoW, I would even do grey quests in order to help the good people of Stormwind. The reputation gives the illusion that I am helping people.

But I was disappointed to find out that you can just buy cloth and turn them in with the stormwind quartermaster/clothmaster. You can "buy reputation" with money. It left me disappointed.

Similarly, how would you feel if people can buy light/dark side points, social points with credits? It cheapens the meaning of those stats. You should rightfully work for those points by doing quests. It doesn't make sense that you can buy your way to lightness.

So when it comes to making things purchasable with credits, we have to be careful.

sort of a poor comparison.

Legacy unlocks are things like other race/class combinations, unlocking ship upgrades like a mail box or repair bot, etc. A lot of them will be purchaseable in the first place, not just 'unlocked' others are unlocked via completing act 1-3 on different classes or picking up new companions.

Some people will pick them up by leveling alts, for people who don't want to level alts they'll be able to play their primary character, earn money, buy the unlocks.

Lets flip it around, in order for you to get raid gear on your character you should have to level at least 1 alt up to 50 as well. Once you have 2 level 50's they can start to obtain the end game equipment.

Yeah, doens't work. Stop being a turd.

As for the people responding to the actual question. They said that "eventually" all unlockables would be purchaseable but not at first. Some of them will be achievement oriented only for a while then later they'll make them purchaseable. I'm just asking which ones will be achievement only and which will be purchaseable at launch of 1.2.

I don't like the idea of using credits to buy stuff. It trivializes stuff and cheapens the meaning of those stuff.

An example of that "stuff" would be reputation gains from vanilla WoW. When I first played WoW, I would even do grey quests in order to help the good people of Stormwind. The reputation gives the illusion that I am helping people.

But I was disappointed to find out that you can just buy cloth and turn them in with the stormwind quartermaster/clothmaster. You can "buy reputation" with money. It left me disappointed.

You can go work at the soup kitchen or you can donate money/soup to the kitchen. Who's contribution means more?

Similarly, how would you feel if people can buy light/dark side points, social points with credits? It cheapens the meaning of those stats. You should rightfully work for those points by doing quests. It doesn't make sense that you can buy your way to lightness.

So when it comes to making things purchasable with credits, we have to be careful.

Diplomacy is basically buying lightside/darkside points + you get materials. As for social... well, you can't really buy those in any way that i'm aware of.

Legacy unlocks if ONLY obtainable by leveling X, Y, and Z, classes to 50, getting their companions, etc, would be unfair to people who want to dedicate their time to a single character. I'm personally an altiholic. I level characters like crazy, feel the need to master all crew skills, etc. but I can fully understand how som eone would want to focus on a single character and NOT having an alternative way to achieve those legacy perks would simply be unfair.

I think they handled the legacy thing astoundingly to be honest. the biggest mistake they made was not offering some retroactive perk assignment like letting you race change your alts. People who rolled up their alts and have worked on them are going to miss out on potential races because of the fact that they launched the system well after the game went live (well enough anyway given how long it takes to get to 50). Either way, I'm happy with it, I just want MORE details :)

You can buy ls/ds points in this game with credits, diplomacy missions & y'know what? I really don't care. I never bought ds points for my characters & it effects me none that other people can & do buy ls/ds points.

4 buffs is cosmetic? Abilities from different classes is cosmetic?

Buying bags for pvp gear is purchased from pvp experience. Basically the same as getting the abilities through legacy xp.

Abilities you can only use via your heroic moment with an active companion, so only viable when solo for the most part.

Getting the other class buffs is probably the single most powerful "addition" they brought up today and you know what, you can still just poke a guy as you run by to get thsoe buffs so it's not that huge of an advantage.

In a group/op you'll have most of those buffs available anyway, in the wild you can always ask some one to click the button for you. (every play EQ as a shaman and get bugged for SOW all the time?)

Again, completely different from getting gear for credits. And to be honest, you can get gear for credits after 1.2 anyway. They said you'll be able to RE end game mods and crit craft oranges so you'll be able ot make orange gear with augment slots, craft end game augments and mods, so you'll at least be able to purchase some of the best PVE gear in the game. The only thing you'll be missing is perhaps some set bonuses. So theres' your comparison. If you "Buy" you rlegacy unlocks you get the abilities and what not but you don't have the extra lvl 50 characters (and therefore access to more companions so you can do other crewskills/play different aspects of the game, etc) If you buy your end game gear you wont have access to some set bonuses or the neat appearance.

You can buy your way to end game after 1.2 and they already said you can buy legacy unlocks as well. Multiple paths to success isn't a bad thing.

Just curious.

Specifically the Races. Will they be only unlockable via leveling one to 50 or will the race unlocks be available for credit purchase at launch of 1.2?

In general I'd like ot know what features will be unlockable via credits and which will be exclusively through level/content consumption (fininshing act 1, 2, etc).

Hey Kiphere,

Species are definitely unlockable by credits.

The class unlocks (e.g. Legacy Force Choke) cannot be purchased with credits.

For everything else, you'll be able to glean the full list from the PTS as soon as the patch is available there.

What so i didn't "earn" the credits i used to buy them. How is farming legacy exp any different than farming credits ?

You can't buy legacy XP from a gold farmer. Well, I guess you could get a powerleveling service to get you to legacy 50, but judging by the occasional email spam I get, it's a lot cheaper to buy 1,000,000 credits than it is to buy a PL to 50, and a legacy PL to 50 would probably be even more expensive.

I am not sure from the presentation all of them are purchasable.

still curious about which abilities will be purchaseable and which wont. I need to know if I need to level up a chiss or grind out some cash :)

Everything will be purchasable. Get the appropriate Legacy level, thing you want becomes available, you have enough credits, buy it.

As has been said, it's for people who focus on just one or two characters. They won't be taking every race to 50 and unlocking it that way, so they can pay credits to unlock it instead. They said it will be expensive.

I have no problem with the option to unlock these things with credits. I personally am an altaholic so I doubt I'll need to unlock things that way but it I am OK with the option being there.

They aren't putting in a purchasable "I win!" button. Legacy stuff is supposed to be fun, it's stuff to work on over the years playing this game. It is your Legacy as a player of TOR. Years from now, whether you leveled characters to unlock things or paid millions of credits to unlock things, you'll be proud of your Legacy.

I like the idea of purchasing things via credits if you have reached the appropriate legacy level.

In fact the idea of having a high legacy level enabling you to get things is what I'm assuming most of us thought the system was going to be anyway, not this side system of "achievements" to unlock things by completing acts/leveling companions on different classes. That would be awful if it was the only way to get things since you'd feel compelled to play a bunch of alts for classes you might not even have any interest in.

This way if you like playing alts, you'll unlock things for free (while gaining legacy exp too!) while if people want to just go about working on their 50s they'll eventually raise their legacy level too and have to buy things.

The idea isn't to force you to play alts to get things it is so you don't feel like you're wasting time on progression by playing an alt. In that sense, the system they are proposing is effective.

they specifically said everything would be purchaseable 'eventually' as in, some stuff might be from the start but others would be gated so people could accomplish those things and feel an achievement and after a certain amount of time people could just pay for it after the new car smell wore off so to speak.