Is it true that they removed lots of different looking gear before release?

Merwanor

I have heard from many people saying that there where lots of different models and variations of gear on Beta, like social medium and heavy armor sets and just much more variety. I am not sure what I have heard is true, but watching trailers for the game makes me wonder because there are many armors on trailers and screenshots that I have yet to see anywhere in the game.

I am playing a Jedi Knight and I find it very odd that there are almost no non-hooded armors in the game. Even though most of the trailers and screenshots are of Jedi Knights with armors with their hoods down.

So is this true, was there more variety on beta? And if so, why on earth where they removed from the game I wonder, as it seems SWTOR really lacks variety in how people look.

Edited by Merwanor

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes there was

There was also style/color matching to your chest-piece

Also companion customization slots where a full override for your companions outfit also, and there where more of them.

Your companion also started with a fully mod-able weapon, it was nice.

But a lot of the beta niceties are there to either hook players into buying or make life easier. I think about 3 vendors disappeared from Coruscant.

So is this true, was there more variety on beta? And if so, why on earth where they removed from the game I wonder, as it seems SWTOR really lacks variety in how people look.

I should think they want to give themselves some "headroom" to gradually introduce some of the already-made extra variety down the line - as perks, as parts of expansions, additions to crafting, etc., etc.

Or it might be that some of the items/vendors were causing problems in one way or another, and they wanted less variables in the equation at launch.

Or it might be that they want to save some things for a "cash shop" in the future.

Or some combination of these.

Apparently I am not the only one who remembers that there was something like an appearance tab too, back in the betas at the end of 2010. Presumably Orange gear replaced the apparance tab because it was blended with crafting (mods, etc.).

Edited by gurugeorge

A hell of a lot of things vanished during beta.

I've been in a few beta tests where they added things over time but this is the first time i've seen things taken away at such a rapid pace.

If anyone remembers Bullseye, darts show from the 80's in the UK, it was a bit like that at the end.....

"Lets see what you could have won".

Just to rub it in. BioWare giveth and BioWare taketh away.

If anyone remembers Bullseye, darts show from the 80's in the UK, it was a bit like that at the end.....

Reminds me of a show called Let's Make A Deal. You would win a pig or goat and then they would show you the car you could have won.

Edited by tmpearson

A hell of a lot of things vanished during beta.

I've been in a few beta tests where they added things over time but this is the first time i've seen things taken away at such a rapid pace.

I remember the most common question in beta before new patches/builds was "What'd they remove this time?".

EAware hyped this game as being all about "choice", and then systematically removed anything and everything they could to limit that "choice".

Edited by Zorvan

They also removed almost all of the low lvl pvp gear.. There used to be a lot of gear that you could get from doing warzones at lover lvls starting at like lvl 13 and with new pieces every lvl or so all the way to 50. Now we're stuck with a set at 20 and one at 40..

This really sucks because I planned on leveling some alts only doing the class quests and warzones.

Edited by lefffen

They also removed content as well. Ravaged reconstruction and the quest area for it on Taris as been removed and blocked off, only the cloner droid remains outside where it was.

Was that the big Mando heroic area? The heroic that took longer than most FPs? I did my class quest and bailed on Taris as quick as possible this last time (was trying to catch up to a friend), so I didn't notice.

I liked that area. It was a nice, challenging 4 person heroic.

They also removed a lot titles (Conqueror of Balmorra/Corellia, Champion of House Thul, Imperial Scholar, etc). I remember when a patch took those away (and I was USING one), and when I saw it was gone, I almost cried a little

I, too, was using one of the titles that were removed.

Edited by Vodalus